Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

5 Questions: Darryl Jones
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 17, 2018 18:38

Darryl Jones Photo credit: Greg Vorobiov

Born on the south side of Chicago, Darryl picked up the electric and later acoustic bass, and within a couple of years, his reputation for loving the function the bass serves and his dedication to the groove got people talking. He started playing in a local band alongside pianist Ken Chaney and guitarist Phil Upchurch, and on occasion, drummer Vince Wilburn, Jr. who turned out to be jazz legend Miles Davis‘ nephew. Wilburn recommended Darryl to his uncle; at age 21, a try-out in New York was arranged and Darryl promptly landed the gig. Darryl appeared on such ’80s-era Davis recordings as 1983’s Decoy and 1985’s You’re Under Arrest. Moving to New York City, he quickly built a name for himself in the local jazz scene where he played and/or recorded alongside his fellow bandmates in Davis’ band. When Police frontman Sting embarked on a solo career and picked up the rhythm guitar, he turned to Branford Marsalis for a bass referral, and Marsalis recommended Darryl. Darryl played on the Dream of the Blue Turtles album, appeared in the documentary film Bring on the Night, and the subsequent album and world tour. Always open to new musical experiences, he toured and recorded sessions with Peter Gabriel, Herbie Hancock & the Headhunters, Madonna, Eric Clapton, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and more.

In 1993, he landed the gig as bassist for the Rolling Stones, replacing longtime member Bill Wyman. Darryl has been in the group ever since, appearing on such studio recordings as 1994’s Voodoo Lounge and 1997’s Bridges to Babylon, as well as numerous tours. Between touring and recording, Darryl guests with other artists like Lee Ann Rimes, Rod Stewart, and is a co-leader on projects, including Three Brave Souls with John Beasley and Ndugu Chancler and the new Chi-Town Social Club, with longtime friends Vince Wilburn, Jr., Nicholas Tremulis (who also serves as Darryl’s music director for his solo work) and Shawn Christopher (Sonia Dada, Chaka Khan). He also performs with Wilburn Jr. in the Miles Electric Band that revisits and renews the musical innovation of the legendary Miles Davis. Darryl also continues his composing work, he scored Sundance winner Love Jones.

1. What’s been keeping you up at night?

What’s been keeping me up at night mostly is the sheer tonnage of things about which I’d like to educate myself. There’s so much to learn. I’m infinitely curious about so many things and I’m not the quickest study so I have to spend time taking things in. For instance, I love cooking but I don’t yet know how to make an omelet. I should mention that I don’t eat eggs but a proper cook should know how to make a great omelet, right?

2. What’s the coolest thing you’ve seen or heard lately?

One of the coolest things I’ve seen lately is women speaking out about the inequities and misconduct they’ve been subjected to. It’s heartening to see them find strength in numbers to speak up and say,”this has been going on too long and it must end.”

3. What’s the most exciting thing you’re working on right now?

I’m excited about so many things. I’m working on a documentary about my life and career. I’m beginning to get out and perform music I’ve written after so many years of working with others. I took part in a workshop this past summer hosted by The Sundance Institute which pairs composers with filmmakers to work on a scene and present it to successful film composers who act as advisors. It’s a very intensive week. I learned so much and it reignited my interest in film music after scoring a film more than twenty years ago.

4. If you could add anyone alive or dead to your team, who would it be?

I can’t help but think about my parents when considering this question. I don’t know if I’ll ever lose the feeling that everything would be better if I still had the wise counsel and affection of my parents. As far as musicians on my team, Miles Davis as player and producer, Kenny Kirkland on piano and Hiram Bullock and Darryl Thompson on guitar.

5. When the movie of your life is made, what will it be called?

Good question! I’m not sure. Maybe “From The Heart.” Or “Berocas y Corazón” which I think means “Balls And Heart.” Sounds better in Spanish.

You can catch Darryl in action at Chicago’s Park West on March 9 at 7PM. A short description of the show, as well as the band line-up, follow:

Darryl Jones Bass, vocals
Nicholas Tremulis Music Director, guitar, vocals
Sandy Torano Commodores, Edgar Winter
Toby Williams Curtis Mayfield, Henry Threadgill
James Perkins Ramsey Lewis, Elton John
Phil Perkins Ohio Players, Henry Threadgill
“Squeeky” Robinson Albert Collins
Woody Goss of Vulfpeck

[www.estheticlens.com]

Re: 5 Questions: Darryl Jones
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2018 19:27

Cant make an omelet .... careful Darryl a pancake ain't that far removed ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 18, 2018 09:14

All this talk of pancakes lately reminds me of good ole "Head East"
They had a couple of good songs waaaay back in the day.

Date: March 8, 2018 18:20

"With Darryl Jones warming up for this morning's appearance on Chicago's own WGN. Show Friday, March 9 at Park West."

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 8, 2018 18:42

Wonder which Documentary film will be released first.
Bill or Darryl's ?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 8, 2018 21:51

Not even one mention of the Stones. The last thing Darryl's playing has is balls. It's too late to replace him. Hope he gets some satisfaction playing jazz. I hadn't heard the name Hiram Bullock in years. He was great. Had no idea he died a decade ago.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 9, 2018 00:30

Come see Darryl play this Friday night in Chicago. It will be a great show with some surprises! We will be filming it for the documentary

Date: March 12, 2018 17:03

Date: March 12, 2018 22:00

Darryl will be playing at the World Stage in Los Angeles on March 23 and 24 with the Stone Raiders...

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 17, 2018 22:47

roundnround
Come see Darryl play this Friday night in Chicago. It will be a great show with some surprises! We will be filming it for the documentary

Never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 16:53 by roller99.

Date: May 12, 2018 09:27

Thanks for posting this Cristiano. Interesting interview... Keith has been using one of Darryl's custom guitars sometimes on stage, on newer songs like Doom and Gloom. Mick is also shown playing one of Darryl's guitars on the inside cover of Blue and Lonesome...

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: May 12, 2018 10:18

I quite like the look of the T-type guitars, the website (http://jonesmusicalinstruments.com) doesn't provide much information on what one of these hand crafted instruments might cost though.

Date: May 15, 2018 17:18

Any pressing questions for Darryl?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 15, 2018 17:27

Where does he see himself professionally in five years?
His ideal.

Date: May 15, 2018 17:41

MisterDDDD
His ideal.

If you have played with greats like Miles Davis you have nothing to prove anymore.
Why he joined the Stones remains a miracle to me. From Darryl's point of view I think he's in it for the money in the first place.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 15, 2018 17:46

TheflyingDutchman
MisterDDDD
His ideal.

If you have played with greats like Miles Davis you have nothing to prove anymore.
Why he joined the Stones remains a miracle to me. From Darryl's point of view I think he's in it for the money in the first place.
Sure.
The question had nothing to do with him proving himself or the like.

Just curious as to whether he would a reply with an unlikely stones related answer or solo or producing or his own band or..??

Date: May 15, 2018 18:35

MisterDDDD
TheflyingDutchman
MisterDDDD
His ideal.

Sure.

Just curious as to whether he would a reply with an unlikely stones related answer or solo or producing or his own band or..??

He can do anything he likes by now I think. smiling smiley

Date: May 16, 2018 19:44

TheflyingDutchman
MisterDDDD
His ideal.

Isn't everyone in this game for the money?

Date: May 16, 2018 19:46

He is doing what he wants, and exercising his creative muscle.

Stone Raiders

Date: May 17, 2018 02:39

video: [www.youtube.com]

Another interview with Darryl, about his solo career and his gear...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 17, 2018 03:06

I can only comment on the wording provided by the interviewer:

"In 1993, he landed the gig as bassist for the Rolling Stones, replacing longtime member Bill Wyman. Darryl has been in the group ever since"

which should more accurately read as:

"In 1993, he landed the gig as bassist was hired to play bass for the Rolling Stones, replacing after longtime member Bill Wyman left. Darryl has been in with the group ever since"

Another interesting thing the interviewer notes:

"...appearing on such studio recordings as 1994’s Voodoo Lounge and 1997’s Bridges to Babylon, as well as numerous tours."

No mention of A Bigger Bang, and Darryl's funky playing on Rain Fell Down.

Does this indicate that ABB has failed to make a lasting impression on the general public, in addition to having been all but forgotten by the band?

Apart from SOL in one of the latter day Euro shows, how much of a presence has ABB had in concert set lists since 2007?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 17, 2018 11:39

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 11:42 by bitusa2012.

Date: May 20, 2018 13:32

MisterDDDD
TheflyingDutchman
MisterDDDD
His ideal.

Sure.

You want to know why he joined the band?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home