Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Unreleased livealbum 1972, anybody seen it? Any copies of it?
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: April 21, 2018 20:27

I know it's been discussed many times here before. Just wonder, I have read the article in New Musical Express from December 1972 about it. It says that the album was just around the corner to be released before Christmas, but Allen Klein stopped it in the final minute. That means that there must be copies of it in the factory's who pressed it? They knew it would sell a lot, so the record itself must exist somewhere! But so far I haven't seen a copy of it! Somebody who worked at these factory's should have it?smiling smiley

Was it this record Mick played in the video compilation "She's the boss"? He pulls out a record with the yellow label, and plays pieces of live versions of brown sugar and Jumpin' Jack live from ca 1972-73.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-21 20:30 by Kuntaman.

Re: Unreleased livealbum 1972, anybody seen it? Any copies of it?
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 21, 2018 20:35

I've seen it many times -in my dreams! Since i first got my copy of L&G on VHS in 1989 it's been on my mind.smoking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 21, 2018 21:05

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 21, 2018 21:12

Supposedly the front and back cover

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 21, 2018 21:45

Didja notice the headline “Japs asking . . .”? How times have changed (in this case, for the good)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 21, 2018 21:49

DaveG
Didja notice the headline “Japs asking . . .”? How times have changed (in this case, for the good)

Yeah, already £45 for a ticket…

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 21, 2018 22:22

It will get a release one of these days.
Maybe combined with a low key DVD release of CS Blues

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 21, 2018 23:11

Presumably this has been asked (and answered) before, but why hasn't this been a From the Vault release yet?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 21, 2018 23:18

jlowe
It will get a release one of these days.
Maybe combined with a low key DVD release of CS Blues

Yeah, maybe in 2072. I might even be alive thenhot smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 21, 2018 23:58

xke38
Presumably this has been asked (and answered) before, but why hasn't this been a From the Vault release yet?

The Vault series is only for video's, not sure why they didn't release it when they did some audio releases several years ago.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 22, 2018 00:19

Couldve been the best live record ever. And the cover. Wow

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 22, 2018 01:49

Mr.D
xke38

The Vault series is only for video's, not sure why they didn't release it when they did some audio releases several years ago.

Brussels '73 video would have been great for sure...

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 22, 2018 02:00

Boot:

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 22, 2018 03:35

Edit - actually, thinking about it, didn't Decca (or Allen Klein) have rights on some songs from Sticky Fingers and Exile on main St ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 05:08 by kowalski.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2018 04:29

Despite the titillating title, this is just a compilation of tracks taken from other, better bootlegs. Keep Your Motor Running is probably a much better representation of what an actual '72 live album would have been like.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 04:31 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 22, 2018 04:50

Here's a short piece I wrote on this subject a few years ago for The College of Rock and Roll Knowledge.

Whenever anyone compiles a list of the greatest live rock and roll albums of all time, one album that invariably appears at or near the top of the list is Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, the live Rolling Stones album recorded during their 1969 "comeback" (hard to believe, but that's what people called it then) tour of America.

Great though it is, there are many Rolling Stones afficianados who insist that a live Stones album recorded during their North American tour in the summer of 1972 would have been even better. Bootlegged soundboard recordings from the '72 tour suggest that this might very well be the case, particularly when one takes into account how much better they would sound if they were to be "cleaned up" for an official release.

With their four most recent studio albums (Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St) comprising a "grand slam" unparalleled in all of rock, the Stones knew they were firing on all cylinders, and they did, in fact, have every intention of documenting their 1972 tour with a live double LP. One album side (or maybe even one entire LP, reports vary) was to have been devoted to the band's opening act, Stevie Wonder, who like the Stones themselves, was also reaching his creative peak. Cover artwork depicting the silhouetted figures of Mick Jagger and Stevie Wonder on handbills tacked to a telephone pole and pasted onto a crumbling cement wall was prepared, cover "slicks" were printed, an October 1972 release date was scheduled, and then .... nothing. The Great Lost Live 1972 Rolling Stones album remains unreleased to this very day. Why?

Blame Allen Klein, whose ABKCO contract with the Stones contained a clause stipulating that the band could not, until 1976, release any new live recordings of any of the songs they had originally released during the years they were under contract to Decca Records. Since this covered everything they had ever done from 1963 to 1969, any new live Stones album would have had to omit many of their biggest hits. Fully half of the songs they performed on the 1972 tour would have been off limits.

Mick Jagger did try a second time to have the "Lost Live Album" (without the Stevie Wonder tracks) released in 1975, wanting to use it to promote the Stones upcoming '75 Tour of the Americas. Guitarist Mick Taylor (who had played such an integral role in making those '72 recordings so exceptional) was no longer even in the band at this point, having been replaced by ex-Faces guitarist Ron Wood. Again, Jagger was told he would have to wait until 1976 to release the Stones definitive, though now somewhat out-of-date, live document.

By 1976 a live Stones album recorded in 1972 would have made little sense. The band had moved on and the project was forgotten. They were at last finally free to release 1970s live recordings of their 1960s material, but those recordings would be made with their current lineup, featuring their new guitarist, Ronnie Wood. They were released in 1977 as Love You Live, a double album that is best remembered, if it's remembered at all, as offering irrefutable proof of the suspected deterioration of the Rolling Stones as a live band.

Time waits for no one .... and five years is a long time to wait in the life of a rock and roll band.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 22, 2018 08:07

Do the masters still exist (and are they playable)?

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 22, 2018 22:42

the cover (Both front and back) is maybe my favourite Stones cover ever.
IFFFF the sound quality is equal or comparable to the richness of the original brussels Boot I'd sell my family for this.

In comparison to the original brussels (not the compressed facial boot booo hisss ha ha), is it just me or does the sound quality on almost all the boots from the 70s taylor era sound thin and crispy in comparison. They all seem to lack the natural earthy phat bottom end overall - and also the uber ace guitar tones.

Its the one thing that puts me off, in terms of sonics I've not heard anything that comes up close to it. if there is, please somebody let me know!!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 22, 2018 23:19

I saw a video, once, and have never been able to find it again. It was Jagger talking about this album and the problem getting it released. He specifically mentioned a performance of YCAGWYW he wanted to release. As I recall Jagger mentioned that Wood did not perform on it saying something like "Thank God" and Wood was standing right there next to him! I remember thinking "Wow" that was harsh.

When Taylor took the stage with the band in recent years I wondered how much many in the audience knew about him and his years with the band. I do not think one can fully appreciate his playing from the studio releases ("Ya-Ya's notwithstanding). For the hardcore fan he is very much a boot artist. It is unfortunate that this album was never released. It would have gone a long way to expand awareness of his stage brilliance.

Date: April 22, 2018 23:40

pmk251
I saw a video, once, and have never been able to find it again. It was Jagger talking about this album and the problem getting it released. He specifically mentioned a performance of YCAGWYW he wanted to release. As I recall Jagger mentioned that Wood did not perform on it saying something like "Thank God" and Wood was standing right there next to him! I remember thinking "Wow" that was harsh.

When Taylor took the stage with the band in recent years I wondered how much many in the audience knew about him and his years with the band. I do not think one can fully appreciate his playing from the studio releases ("Ya-Ya's notwithstanding). For the hardcore fan he is very much a boot artist. It is unfortunate that this album was never released. It would have gone a long way to expand awareness of his stage brilliance.

Very good observation.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 23, 2018 00:24

pmk251

I recall that as well...I remember him saying they decided against it because Ron Wood was now in the band and it wouldn't be right...but had actually contemplated having some of the '73 tour on Love You Live! He really did sound regretful and I was sure then he was referring to Brussels. I think Jagger is quite aware that they peaked as a musicians and a band on that tour

Date: April 23, 2018 00:59

Not only the 1973 tour, 1972 as well.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2018 09:23

Well, I can see reason why Jagger and the rest wanted to have gotten "You Can't Always Get What You Want" released. There've been great versions since then, but its debute as a show set list regular in 1972 was simply phenomenal. Listening those versions one can hear how inspired they were there giving this gem a proper live clothing, Taylor, of course, lifting the whole thing up into heavens. They knew they had a winner there. I don't think they have since then were able to touch with such brilliance this song again. For example, the version in LOVE YOU LIVE starts to sound a bit degenerated, like the band was a bit bored with the song already.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 09:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 23, 2018 11:01

Now in retrospect to think of it, what a huge lost opportunity it was at the time that they couldn't release the live album (so screw you Klein big time). True that it was just three years from YA-YA'S!, a great artistic statement of the new brave Stones sound. But this had been a great addition to it. There were these fresh, awesome versions of "You Can't AlWays Get What You Want" and "Gimme Shelter" (two anthems from LET IT BLEED) plus they had the new smoking tracks from STICKY FINGERS and EXILE to make a live record premium, things like "Brown Sugar", "Bitch", "Dead Flowers", "Tumbling Dice" and "All Down The Line". There could not have better timing for releasing a live album than that of from 1972 American Tour. Not that the band was red and hot and tight like hell, it would have been (in hindsight) like a testament to the whole Great Big Four Era, having EXILE just out. No matter how awesome, probably even hotter, the band was still in the European Tour next year, the setlist 'suffered' from a bit weaker pieces from GOATS HEAD SOUP - a sign of band's creative downhill having alraedy started. I think the world lost a significiant live album there (so screw you Klein againangry smiley)

True that LADIES AND GENTLEMEN saved a bit, but I don't think a concert movie - whoever was able to see it at the time - was such a good substitute for a proper live album - which still at the time were listened 'seriously' and taken as important artistic statements as studio albums (for which the Stones themselves heavily contributed with YA-YA'S!).

It is intersting to hear that some Taylor-era recordings were still considered for LOVE YOU LIVE. Add there that they arranged El Mocambo gigs to beef up that album, the more it looks like that the band wasn't very satisfied with their 1975/76 live performances - that those performances could stand just on their own. Remember this was a band that just some years earlier didn't consider their ROCK & ROLL CIRCUS performance good enough to be released, so they still had some sort of quality control in use. Now we can hear The Stones sounding magnificient and unique, with all that charming ragginess and looseness, for example, in LA FORUM '75 (one of the best concerts they've ever done me thinks), but it could be very well that the artists themselves, knowing very well how they did sound like just a couple of years earlier, been more critical about their performances. Mick and Keith are known to have strong disagreements about the content of the album (or seemingly about anything over that album), I wonder which one might have come up with the idea of using 1973 recordings. Mick suggesting and Keith refuting it by 'let's be fair to Ronnie'? LOVE YOU LIVE was/is a helluva package, but if I have understood right, it was already back then seen a bit disappointment and an uneven album, doing probably not much good for band's reputation (which was already going downhill).

Here is something in their 1973 glory (credits to kleermaker): [www.youtube.com]

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 11:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 23, 2018 12:45

Kuntaman
I know it's been discussed many times here before. Just wonder, I have read the article in New Musical Express from December 1972 about it. It says that the album was just around the corner to be released before Christmas, but Allen Klein stopped it in the final minute. That means that there must be copies of it in the factory's who pressed it? They knew it would sell a lot, so the record itself must exist somewhere! But so far I haven't seen a copy of it! Somebody who worked at these factory's should have it?smiling smiley

Was it this record Mick played in the video compilation "She's the boss"? He pulls out a record with the yellow label, and plays pieces of live versions of brown sugar and Jumpin' Jack live from ca 1972-73.

If the album couldn't be shipped and sold, I would've thought that copies would have been destroyed. Any surviving copies would be worth a pretty penny.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 24, 2018 16:28

The question is, did it ever go to the pressing plant or was it stopped still prior to that, and only a few test pressings were made. What makes me suspicious is that seemingly never any boots turned up, and never any version of it appeared for trade - since 1972. I can't recall that scene from "She's the boss". If indeed a few test pressings were made, Mick certainly got one. On the other hand, test pressings of unreleased albums usually turn up as boots or for trade sooner or later, so possibly the project was stopped even prior to that. In that case, what Mick played in the video compilation may as well have been a "regular" boot from that era, if it sounded OK, perhaps taken from a broadcast. He is known to have Stones boots (although I don't know in what numbers).

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: April 24, 2018 16:54

Kuntaman

The songs you hear are from Love You Live.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 24, 2018 17:50

Yes, I saw a copy on Record Store Day in London. I didn't buy a copy because once again they've cropped Bill out of the picture which is just petty spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 24, 2018 17:54

I have no f6cken idea...but i reckon if it was properly recorded it would be in our hands by now.
In saying that we have a few US 1972 shows which i have heard are available...but i have lost alot of interest.
Yaaaawwwwwnnn...like the rest of the current UK tour

Back to wine...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 24, 2018 18:03

Doxa
Well, I can see reason why Jagger and the rest wanted to have gotten "You Can't Always Get What You Want" released. There've been great versions since then, but its debute as a show set list regular in 1972 was simply phenomenal. Listening those versions one can hear how inspired they were there giving this gem a proper live clothing, Taylor, of course, lifting the whole thing up into heavens...

... those were the days before YCAGWYW became a sing-along.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home