Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15
Re: Track Talk: Jumpin' Jack Flash
Date: June 9, 2021 15:18

StonedRambler
Good point here! Does anybody hear 'It's just that demon life has got you in its sway' in Sway?
I always here 'FORGOT you' and no matter how much I try, I just can't hear 'HAS GOT you'

I hear " 'as" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 10:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 9, 2021 15:40

Maybe it's "wotcher in its sway"..!

smiling smileyRe: Track Talk: Jumpin' Jack Flash
Date: June 9, 2021 18:08

Topi
emotionalbarbecue

After all this years I am not able to accept they sing a lot sentences which allegedly are sung. For instance in Brown Sugar "You should have heard him just around midnight" and many more...
Some sentences are sung (to my ears) as if their mouths where full of cookies as they sing...

Just out of curiosity, what do you hear during those lines on Brown Sugar?

On the second verse, it's exactly that, albeit with the "should have" abbreviated to "shoulda":

"House boy knows that he's doing alright /
You shoulda heard him just around midnight"

On the third verse, however, the "him" changes to "me". The narrator is talking about himself: "I'm no schoolboy..."

Hi Topi
I speak spanish. I think I have a reasonable level in english. But definitely I lack of a proficiency level at it. When they sing "You shoulda heard him just around midnight" I just hear as if they sang a long, bizarre and unique line.
Sometimes I am amazed about how is posible to say so many words in such a short time...grinning smiley

The problem of spanish speaking people is that we ONLY have 5 vocalic sounds. Only five...
And english may have more than 15 (depending on the country, as far as I know). So for us is crazy to differentiate sometimes. (beer, bear, bare, beard, bird ...are a linguistic nightmare...).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-09 18:18 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: June 9, 2021 18:25

Oh, gotcha. I do speak Spanish myself, but I never thought of that!

Date: June 9, 2021 21:08

Qué tal Topi,

Si hablas español y los has entendido siempre a la primera...es que debes tener un nivelón de inglés. Me alegro por tí.

Por cierto no debemos ser muchos los hispano parlantes que visitamos esta página...

Me alegra saludarte. Un cordial saludo.

Date: June 9, 2021 22:53

Probablemente hay al menos algunos argentinos aquí! winking smiley

Me encantan los idiomas extranjeros. De hecho, he empezado a estudiar español porque ya hablaba francés. Soy de Finlandia, y inglés fue mi primer idioma extranjero.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-10 06:19 by Topi.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2021 23:41

Ustedes están locos si creen que está bien publicar en español aquí.

Aún así, a mí me gusta la variedad, así que no me quejo.

Esperando con ansias la nueva gira de los Rolling Stones.

¡Seguir adelante! hot smiley

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: June 10, 2021 02:08

Date: June 10, 2021 06:20

Yeah, let's go back to English. From now on, I'll use "wotcher" to greet every IORRian. lol

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: June 10, 2021 11:51

This is my favourite version:

[youtu.be]

Double Door, Chicago

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 10, 2021 13:15

YEAH .... aint it good ....

Mick lookin' like Christ on thee cross
Keith doin da best ballet ever performed in Chicago ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 10, 2021 14:17

Topi
Yeah, let's go back to English. From now on, I'll use "wotcher" to greet every IORRian. lol

Ere mate, wotcha! 'Ow you doin' in the stalls darn there!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2021 04:53

Topi

¡Míralo!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 3, 2021 21:56

Does anyone know definitely which guitar Brian plays. And isn't there maracas and what sounds like a mellotron blues harp that he might have played. JJFlash would have sounded better if there were more separation between the instruments

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: August 4, 2021 02:24

Taylor1
Does anyone know definitely which guitar Brian plays. And isn't there maracas and what sounds like a mellotron blues harp that he might have played. JJFlash would have sounded better if there were more separation between the instruments

I think it's easy to just assume that the two guitars are both Keith, as it fits his usual methods and the complimenting parts are what he tends to do, but if you take the brief film clip of the NME show into account, I can believe that Brian could be playing the right channel guitar as it fits with his hand movement. Always thought that the high part in the bridge was Brian too, as he usually did those parts ('Get Off My Cloud', 'Mother's Little Helper' etc).

Personally I think the messiness of the mix is an important part of the appeal, but to each their own.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 4, 2021 03:12

I wonder where the original master tapes are. They would answer a lot of questions.

Brian jones contributions to Jumping Jack Flash
Date: August 3, 2021 17:54

I would like to know if there is a definitive answer as to whether Brian played guitar on the studio version of JJ Flash and whether it is audible on the single. Or if he did not, is he playing the maracas and/or what sounds like a blues harp mellotron at the end of the song. Could his guitar be the jangly single note one. I was wondering if Mathijs has the answer

Re: Brian jones contributions to Jumping Jack Flash
Date: August 3, 2021 20:03

Taylor1
I would like to know if there is a definitive answer as to whether Brian played guitar on the studio version of JJ Flash and whether it is audible on the single. Or if he did not, is he playing the maracas and/or what sounds like a blues harp mellotron at the end of the song. Could his guitar be the jangly single note one. I was wondering if Mathijs has the answer

Try the JJF Track Talk on IORR Forum Links of Interest.

Date: August 3, 2021 20:16

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 3, 2021 20:25

I am 100% certain that he appeared on the picture sleeve...and looked pretty damn cool in the promo film.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 3, 2021 20:51

DandelionPowderman
[iorr.org]

I don't think Brian had a major contribution to the song. What is vexing is knowing whether Bill, or Nicky played that really jazzy organ part that ends the song. The credits list both as playing organ. I thinks it one of the coolest parts ever, and has never been replicated on stage. If Nicky played the well known part, I can't hear what Bill's organ part would have been. I can't hear it. It makes sense that Nicky would have played it, as he was a great keyboardist, at least a great pianist. But Bill has always been underestimated as a musician. He played piano growing up, and played some snyth with the Stones.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 4, 2021 04:46

My guess is the high stuff during the chorus.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: August 4, 2021 09:32

MingSubu

Didn’t Brian do the guitar high notes / lead lines in Get off my cloud? If so, you’re probably right.

Date: August 4, 2021 11:00

MingSubu

Keith claimed he played a Nashville strung guitar on JJF. If there indeed is one, it's gotta be that one?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 4, 2021 17:12

100% Nicky on Hammond organ at the end. In the long version available on bootlegs is quite clear.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: August 4, 2021 18:00

DandelionPowderman
MingSubu

Keith claimed he played a Nashville strung guitar on JJF. If there indeed is one, it's gotta be that one?
Why wasn’t the high stuff and Nickys organ played at the Rock n Roll Circus.Personally I don’t like Keith’s guitar or Micks singing on it, particularly Micks singing at the end where I think he ruins the song with his campy repeating of the words” Jumping Jack”.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 4, 2021 18:19

He wrote the riff on the piano with Bill smoking smiley

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: August 4, 2021 19:18

It was in the early or mid 80ies, when someone told me, that Jumping Jack died. I asked "Jumping Jack?" and then I was told, that there was an old man, who lived around Keith's corner near Chichester in the South of England. He talked a lot about the old times, like we all do and so parts of the song like "...I was raised by a toothless, bearded hag, I was schooled with straps right across my back..." might be part of his history and well remembered by KR. Maybe this was the first idea for the lyrics. True or false, for me, this was a very nice story.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:49

This is just like the best thing ever.
One of those Best Thing EVER PERFECT Things
That are Best Thing Ever because Perfect.
It defines what rock and roll is and can be.
You could take a hundred great albums by the VERY best blues, rockabilly, rock and roll and even R&B and I'd trade that all for this one.
Mono Single Release is the most psychedelic thing I ever heard . Pow

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2021 22:52

[youtu.be]
Jjf live 69

Jjf Mono Single Release
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-05 22:57 by hopkins.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home