Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- Any Theatre Fans? WEST END tips/suggestions?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 1, 2018 20:23

Looking at having a week to spend in central London between shows and am planning on catching a few plays.

Any tips or suggestions on rush/standing room tickets or other options for tickets similar to what Broadway offers? Or venues? Just starting to research and I did see they have a TCKS booth offering same day/discounted tickets similar to NY.

Love catching live theatre when I'm in New York, not a huge fan, usually only go to shows when I can catch on Broadway, but the West End looks even more inviting.

Definitely going to catch "Tina - The Tina Turner Musical" which is in previews now and opens there in April. Some the Theatres there look stunning, looking forward to seeing a few of them.

Re: OT- Any Theatre Fans? WEST END tips/suggestions?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 1, 2018 21:30

Broadway Box also does tix for London’s West End, have used them a few times. I wish they would revive Sunny Afternoon, it was a really good show. Young Frankenstein started well but that sadly didn’t last long.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 1, 2018 21:36

Motown is worth a go.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 1, 2018 22:57

Send a Tweet to Sally Wood. She'll know.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 2, 2018 22:52

Love Theatre
Some very good offers here. I mean, Phantom ticket plus 3 course dinner and glass of champagne at The Ritz for £162!
Ritz Offer

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: April 10, 2018 23:59

By 'Theatre' do you mean West End Shows (tend to be blockbusters/musicals) or 'drama'? If the latter, check out what's on at the National Theatre (almost uniformly excellent, whatever it is), The Old Vic is often worth a look, and definitely go to the Globe Theatre (standing tickets for £5).

syrel

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 11, 2018 00:06

Lots of smaller theatres good - depends what you like

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 00:10 by EJM.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 11, 2018 00:17

first saw Wicked in London back in 2007. When I saw it back home about a year later I thought it was kind of strange because nobody in the cast was speaking with a British accentgrinning smiley

Date: April 11, 2018 00:55

syrel
By 'Theatre' do you mean West End Shows (tend to be blockbusters/musicals) or 'drama'? If the latter, check out what's on at the National Theatre (almost uniformly excellent, whatever it is), The Old Vic is often worth a look, and definitely go to the Globe Theatre (standing tickets for £5).

syrel

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I did find the Shakespear Globe deal for £5 and ordered a ticket a while ago, looks very cool, and being in the "yard" seems essentially like a "pit" ticket smiling smiley

Also bought a ticket to go see the Tina Turner Musical, which is in previews now and having it's world premier there soon.
Not much of a blockbuster/musical fan, but that one, with Tina working on it, has my attention.

Have seen most of the Musicals/Blockbusters on Broadway (Wicked, Lion King etc) while taking my daughter there a few times, but I am more of an "off-broadway" drama fan. Plenty to choose from in that regard it looks like, as it gets closer, will likely see what's playing and check out a couple more theatres/ outdoor spaces. Thanks again-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 00:59 by MisterDDDD.

smiling smileyRe: OT- Any Theatre Fans? WEST END tips/suggestions?
Date: April 11, 2018 00:58

BluzDude
first saw Wicked in London back in 2007. When I saw it back home about a year later I thought it was kind of strange because nobody in the cast was speaking with a British accentgrinning smiley
Funny, that was one of the shows I was thinking of seeing again primarily because I wanted to see it with British accents, and it was so good.
Decided to see ones I haven't seen yet though.. smiling smiley

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:14

I saw this at the Old Vic at the weekend
[www.oldvictheatre.com]
It wasn't bad, with an interesting music industry angle (which I obviously like)

syrel

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 25, 2018 00:31

I saw Sunny Afternoon when in London in 2015, but I don't think it's still playing....it was great. (Written by Ray Davies)

Date: April 25, 2018 01:41

syrel
I saw this at the Old Vic at the weekend
[www.oldvictheatre.com]
It wasn't bad, with an interesting music industry angle (which I obviously like)

syrel

Thanks for the tip!
Was looking for a reason to visit the theatre, and there is a matinee that works nicely for the week I'm there. Appears to perhaps be it's last week.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 25, 2018 01:50

KevinLocksPerm
Motown is worth a go.

I went to see it in LA in 2015 and it was very enjoyable. thumbs up

All or Nothing - The Mod Musical also seems to be very interesting.

Date: April 25, 2018 02:36

Cristiano Radtke
KevinLocksPerm
Motown is worth a go.

I went to see it in LA in 2015 and it was very enjoyable. thumbs up

All or Nothing - The Mod Musical also seems to be very interesting.
This one looks great. Ends before I arrive, hoping for an extension..(?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home