Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Beggars Banquet Special - Uncut Magazine June 2018
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 17, 2018 18:25

At the end of the new issue of Uncut, in My Life In Music, Jennifer Herrema from Royal Trux recalls the first time she saw the Rolling Stones in concert. “I fell in love with the Stones at a very early age,” she says. “What sealed the deal was my dad taking me to their Tattoo You concert when I was a kid. The Stones blew my mind. I cried because we couldn’t go back the next night.”

It is possible we all have a story to tell about the first time we saw the Stones. Mine was in summer 1990, at Wembley, on the European leg of the Urban Jungle Tour. More used to seeing bands on the north London indie circuit back then, the Stones’ use of giant inflatables and pyrotechnics came as something of a revelation. In May, the band begin the next leg of their No Filter tour – including their first UK shows since 2013 – so what better time to shine a light on a critical period in the Stones’ storied career?

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Beggars Banquet and Graeme Thomson talks to the band’s closest collaborators and confidants to get the definitive inside story of their first masterpiece. Graeme’s terrific piece depicts a band in transition, regrouping after the failure of Their Satanic Majesties Request and responding to the diminishing powers of their de facto founder, Brian Jones, before emerging at the year’s close a tougher, stronger and better band. “Remember,” cautions the band’s former manager Andrew Oldham, “what drags the mere man down only propels The Rolling Stones further.”

[www.uncut.co.uk]

The Rolling Stones, Lee “Scratch” Perry, Eric Burdon and Françoise Hardy feature in the new issue of Uncut, dated June 2018 and out on April 19.

The Stones are on the cover, and inside we relive the band’s pivotal 1968: a year of rebirth and revolution dominated by “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”, Beggars Banquet and the fall of Brian Jones. What emerges from this remarkable 12 month period is a portrait of a band overcoming diversity – going back to basics in order to move forward.

“It was like being let out of a cage,” Uncut hears. Plus! the Stones on the road in the 21st century! “We want to keep going!”

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Re: Beggars Banquet Special - Uncut Magazine June 2018
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 17, 2018 18:57

Thanks for this info CR! Its always hard to predict or know when these editions will hit our USA bookstores??

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 17, 2018 19:06

What I wonder is if a 50th deluxe edition is going to be released

Date: April 19, 2018 17:18

The Rolling Stones in 1968: “It was like being let out of a cage”

Sam Richards April 19, 2018

Uncut celebrates the 50th anniversary of Beggars Banquet

50 years ago this week, The Rolling Stones recorded “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” at Olympic Studios in Barnes, London.

Capturing the turbulent spirit of the times, the single marked a thrilling about-face from the wan psychedelia of Their Satanic Majesties Request, setting the Stones up for a transformative year that would include the recording and release of the landmark Beggars Banquet album and see Mick Jagger and Keith Richards strengthen their grip on the band at the expense of Brian Jones.

In our latest issue – on sale April 19 – Uncut relives the gripping story of The Rolling Stones in 1968: a year of studio fires, mass protests, demonic alter-egos… and newly-energised rock’n’roll.

“Beggars Banquet was the amalgamation of everything the Stones had been trying to do,” says Traffic’s Dave Mason, who played on the record. “It all came together in a very unique, cool form.”

“Beggars is the highlight of what they achieved,” adds the album’s engineer Glyn Johns. “It led to a magical period in their discography, transformed them into something completely different from what they had been before. It was like being let out of a cage.”

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 19, 2018 19:40

smileys with beer

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 19, 2018 22:38

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 19, 2018 22:45

Correct me if I'm wrong but Uncut indicates the interview above is taken from 2016.

Date: April 20, 2018 04:49

Maindefender
Correct me if I'm wrong but Uncut indicates the interview above is taken from 2016.

Yep, that seems correct. I thought it was odd to publish now an interview from one and a half years ago.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 20, 2018 05:59

Well, it's just general pre-tour interview blabber. That fits with any year or tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home