Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT : David Bowie
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 03:48

I know I know... this is a Rolling Stones board. Sorry about my OT topic.

As we all may know David Bowie's 'retired' from the music scene. His last tour was the Reality tour (2004?). Because of his health conditions he stopped touring and recording new stuff.

Well... I do miss him in action though. I hope he will ever open HIS vault with cool stuff...

Re: OT : David Bowie
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 4, 2011 03:52

David Bowie is always welcome on this board ..........2004 ????? that long time ago

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 13:08 by NICOS.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 4, 2011 05:57

I was just listening to the Nassau Coliseum show in NY from March 23, 1976. I was at the Buffalo show in March 19, 1976.

Love hearing "Suffragette City" and "TVC 15" To pick up the pace "Stay" fits in perfectly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 06:30 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 4, 2011 07:52

What health condition? And hasn't he been active at some point post 04? I thought be played with Arcade Fire a few years back.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: December 4, 2011 08:11

Not very active at all. Few guest appearances, in New York. Sorely missed. He went out in style, his last few albums were very good, and the 03-04 was one of his best.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 4, 2011 08:54

bigbang
Not very active at all. Few guest appearances, in New York. Sorely missed. He went out in style, his last few albums were very good, and the 03-04 was one of his best.
I agree that he sort of went out of style, but if he were announce a tour right now, he could easily sell out MSG, etc, the big arenas in a second. The only problem I see with him is time. The longer he waits, the less likely it becomes. With his type of show/music, I'm guessing it requires a lot of energy and planning. I bet he still has it in him, at least for one more go around, and I really don't know whats stopping him. To my knowledge his health isn't really that bad, and I know he quit before to be around his family more which is all he's been doing for close to 10 years. A year away wouldn't kill him.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: December 4, 2011 11:58

I agree sorely missed, my fave artist after the Stones.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 4, 2011 11:59

DiamondDog7
I hope he will ever open HIS vault with cool stuff...

He released last year an expanded deluxe edition of Station To Station which has the full 1976 Nassau show.
Also, maybe 2 years ago, there was Santa Monica '72 official release.
And there have been a serious Moonlight 2-CD set as well. Not sure if this one was official though.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 12:16

Yup Serious Moonlight is official. Also, Storytellers, Reality Live. Very active releasing archives. He has a high end photography book coming out at Genesis. So retired in the sense he isn't doing new stuff for the moment, but he is doing a nice job with his archive releases. I hope a Heroes box is next. Can't wait.
I yearn to hear what he would lay on us now. We could use a sailor. I bet something strange will fly to earth again. Come on Lady Stardust....

Date: December 4, 2011 12:28

I'm glad to read that more people miss him. Cool!

Indeed... Space Oddity deluxe, Station to Station deluxe were finally released. Really cool boxset. See below. I do have that one!

There was a 'tradition' that the record company released 30th anniversary editions of albums (ziggy stardust, aladdin sane, diamond dogs). It was ok. But they could do better.

I do think David will ever return. In any form. I don't know how and when though.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:12

bigbang

RollingFreak
I agree that he sort of went out of style, but if he were announce a tour right now, he could easily sell out MSG, etc, the big arenas in a second. The only problem I see with him is time. The longer he waits, the less likely it becomes. With his type of show/music, I'm guessing it requires a lot of energy and planning. I bet he still has it in him, at least for one more go around, and I really don't know whats stopping him. To my knowledge his health isn't really that bad, and I know he quit before to be around his family more which is all he's been doing for close to 10 years. A year away wouldn't kill him.

RF, the expression "to go out in style" doesn't mean the same as "to go out of style".
It means he went out on a high note. So you could also say his last projects showed a lot of class, poise, elegance, and seemed to fit his image.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:18

Heathen is a modern era Bowie masterpiece. He smacks you across the head with a hip, cultured voice of what was and what is coming. Clairvoyant dread that seemed to unfold after 9/11. Bowie said in interviews he had already written and pretty much finished most the Heathen stuff before 9/11. When released though it seemed urgent and like most Bowie's stuff, relevant. Heathen is the older cousin of LOW; weary, sagged, aged glam. A truly wonderful soundscape with all those classic Bowie elements. Then to do the Boroughs tour in New York, playing small club shows doing the entire Heathen album, the all of Low, then some other songs in a encore. That man has class.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:52

My favourite 9 minutes of Bowie

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: December 4, 2011 14:10

The Sicilian
I was just listening to the Nassau Coliseum show in NY from March 23, 1976. I was at the Buffalo show in March 19, 1976.

That must have been a scene. Did you live out near Buffalo at that time?

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 4, 2011 14:22

flacnvinyl
What health condition?

He had a blocked artery that required angioplasty.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 4, 2011 14:49

Anyone here see Bowie as "Ziggy" at Santa Monica Civic?

Fantastic!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 4, 2011 17:23

Here it is...the best 3 in a row-albums ever made:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: December 4, 2011 17:35

kowalski

He released last year an expanded deluxe edition of Station To Station which has the full 1976 Nassau show.
His best live album IMO, I think It slipped under many peoples radar because it wasn't released separately.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 4, 2011 18:11

Lightnin'
bigbang

RollingFreak

RF, the expression "to go out in style" doesn't mean the same as "to go out of style".
It means he went out on a high note. So you could also say his last projects showed a lot of class, poise, elegance, and seemed to fit his image.

Thank you Lightnin! I blanched when I saw the words "went out of style". Like the Rolling Stones, David Bowie morphed his music as the times changed. We retired like Johnny Carson of the Tonight show, ON TOP OF HIS GAME! Always been a personal favorite of mine.

I freaked when I heard about his heart attack, just like when Otis Rush had his stroke. It's good to see Bowie is at least still alive and at least active in some way.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 4, 2011 18:24

One of his latest live appearance :

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 4, 2011 19:06

misterfrias
The Sicilian

That must have been a scene. Did you live out near Buffalo at that time?

Yes, I've always lived here except for about a year in San Diego in 1981 - 1982. Saw the Stones there in 1981.

At the time the arena was about a brisk 15 minute walk from my house. My next door neighbor took me that night, we both walked there about 4:00 in the afternoon. We sneaked in and hid in the ceilings at the roof until showtime. Bowie came out for a sound check and played "Fame" around 6:00pm.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: December 4, 2011 19:56

David Bowie. A great artist! I kind of lost track after 1983 or so. Now that I'm thinking of it, I have have all his LP's up to 'Tonight. 1984 was it?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 4, 2011 20:58

Bowie could sing Jagger's parts pretty well if Mick decides not to tour.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: December 4, 2011 21:03

Funny. I had in mind the other the same title thread. I was at the Lenny Kravitz show and when he introduced Gayl Ann Dorsen I had a huge David need...

My last show was in Bercy (same place as Lenny) in 2003.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 4, 2011 22:49

I like the story concept in this vastly underrated album:

It's atmospheric, weird and wonderful.

Bowie and Eno... magic.

But my favourite (today anyway), is Heroes.

They all nearly all great though.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 4, 2011 22:53

Kirk
David Bowie. A great artist! I kind of lost track after 1983 or so.

For a 70's Bowie fan you will like Outside, Heathen and Reality for certain, you might like the others as well but those three are class.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 4, 2011 23:14

GravityBoy
I like the story concept in this vastly underrated album:

It's atmospheric, weird and wonderful.

Bowie and Eno... magic.

But my favourite (today anyway), is Heroes.

They all nearly all great though.

Outside is one of my Top 5 Bowie albums. It's an incredible record. I saw the UK leg of the tour at Wembley Arena three times, and it was superb.

Date: December 5, 2011 00:10

Like many artists (for example the Stones, the Who, Santana, Queen)... don't listen to their 1980s period. It sucks! The same goes for Bowie.

Heathen is a wonderful album indeed.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: December 5, 2011 00:13

RollingFreak
bigbang

Out IN style, not out of style! smiling smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 5, 2011 00:16

Lightnin'
bigbang

RollingFreak

Wow! Completely my fault! I totally misread bigbang's message. Yes, I totally agree that he went out IN style. His last few albums, especially Hours, I thought were fantastic. In my post, I was just saying how I could see how some thought he wasn't as relevant anymore, but it turns out that was an unprovoked thought. I apologize for the mistake in my reading lol.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home