Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- Macca concert KOLN Excellent
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 3, 2011 21:45

Just got home from Koln. In a few brief words I would say this was his best solo tour so far IMO. He even sang She Love You three times during All You Need Is Love. More highlights for me was Juniors Farm, The Night Before, Come And Get It, and The Word. Most the rest of the setlist have become standard, but somewhat revitalized in music and (background) video. I might add the guitars were up front in the mix, something important to some of us on the board. If you have a chance I reccomend to see this concert, it really rocked!

Re: OT- Macca concert KOLN Excellent
Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 3, 2011 23:00

I was there - the concert was an experience I´ll never forget!

Paul is one of the greatest singers, an oustanding musician and a great entertainer as well.

Priest

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 02:48

WOW! You got a great set list with several songs he has never done before! NEVER! The Word with All You Need is Love. So how as that? Did he do most of The Word before going into All You Need is Love? Did he sing the verses in All You Need it Love? And Come and Get it! Whew! Lucky you!

Date: December 4, 2011 03:48

Unfortunately All You Need Is Love is not a full song, but for what it's worth the transition from The Word is great. Also, he said "Badfinger" before going into Come And Get It, very special as I remember since a child this seemingly forgotten/overlooked band. Paul is delivering the goods, beleive me. Wonder what he will pull out of the goodie bag next year? Can't wait.

Date: December 4, 2011 11:32

I hope I get to see him again this summer. Three summers in a row now I have seen Macca, and has been the time of my life. What a great way to honor his fans how he is playing now.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 11:53

I am also one of the lucky ones who have been there. I have seen Paul in 2004 and now the second time. It was the first time I had to fly somewhere only for a concert - really expensive fun, but it was worth each cent.

Paul at the age of seventy is in top form, puts on 2 hour 45 minutes show without one weaker spot. His singing is great, the band is amazing. It has been writen many times and I can only repeat and confirm it. The setlist has been quite smilar for the past few years, but I think no one complains, I mean we all WANT to hear the warhorses (right?), plus Paul always throws in a couple of surprises for each tour to keep it fresh (as writen in the previous posts).

Having seen many shows on DVDs I have to say that the shows don't vary much, he introduces each song pretty much the same during each show, he teases the crowd to repeat after him the same on each show, after Live and Let Die Paul makes the same "No, no, you are too loud" gestures as on the Good Evening NYC DVD and so on, but he does it in a way that you believe him he means it. It is a well rehearsed show which after the years got to the point where it is perfect and I would go and see it again immediatly. So I hope Paul will return to Europe again in one or two years and I am sure I will be there whatever it takes (whatever it costs :-) )

One interesting thing happened at the end - Paul singned three items to people in the front row at the very end. He actually encouraged them: "Gimme..." I think the security must have handed the things to Paul, since there was about 4 m gap between the stage and the barrier. I have never heard of Paul doing so...cool.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 16:28 by Happy24.

Date: December 4, 2011 12:19

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW! And more WOW! Those pics are amazing.Thanks so much for sharing. I was in heaven when I say him kicking out the piano on 1985. I hope he is in the US this summer. Or better yet, some where cool in Europe. That would be a great summer haj.

Date: December 4, 2011 12:34

it was an amazing experience, unforgettable! he is a first class performer, hope to get to see him again, soon!
no matter the Stones/Beatles argument(I couldn't care less myself, I ADORE both): he is one of the GREATS!!!!
hats off to Sir Paul.

Date: December 4, 2011 13:16

Thanks for the pictures. Yeah, it was unusual (in my experience) that Paul would sign something from the stage. Maybe he's getting sentimental? Also it looked like they were filming the concert for a official release? Hope so.

Date: December 4, 2011 13:20

The last two times I have seen him, hosts of folks got stuff signed up at the Front. Some guy did a wrist frisbee toss of the album cover of Abby Road, and it flew right in front of Macca and he grabbed and smacked out a Sharpee marker and made a grand autograph and walked back to the corner of the stage where the guy tossed it and reached over and handed it to him. Wonderful! Then a few smart folks seized the moment and he signed a album cover of Memory Almost Full and Ram. Lucky people!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:53

Fabulous photos. I was going to give his London show tomorrow a miss as I thought it would be the same old greatest hits set list. But I'd go just to see The Word and The Night Before, let along Come And Get It. Will try and get a ticket now.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 4, 2011 14:49

Can't wait for Mickscarey's comment on this one!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 4, 2011 14:50

Hi Mike,

I'm going to see Macca in Manch in a couple of weeks but if I can bag a decent seat courtesy of a ticket-drop before 1pm tomorrow then I'll be up for a jar at The Pilot Inn!
We'll see what happens...

[www.ticketmaster.co.uk]

I'm kicking myself because I hesitated on some £50 side-view, right next to the stage. D'oh!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 4, 2011 15:29

Just got my ticket to the Stockholm show next week.....can't get to the London show tomorrow night so has to be Stockholm. I managed to get a floor seat, row 14!! Love these last minute ticket drops!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 4, 2011 15:56

Great pix and reviews - thanks, people. Am looking forward to seeing him at the O2 tomorrow night.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 4, 2011 16:20

john lomax
Just got my ticket to the Stockholm show next week.....can't get to the London show tomorrow night so has to be Stockholm. I managed to get a floor seat, row 14!! Love these last minute ticket drops!

I was also in row 14 :-) Great place. But everybody stood up at the moment Paul appeared. I was standing the whole show, just like 90 % of the people on the floor, which really helped the great atmosphere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 21:53 by Happy24.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 5, 2011 06:02

Great pics Happy24. Nice to see and hear that Paul is shaking up the setlists and pulling out some great old gems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-05 06:05 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 5, 2011 09:58

I was there with my wife and it was very exciting! When he played "All my loving" most ot the guys sitting next to me had tears in there eyes - including me! Kind of a "timetravel" with Sir Paul - I saw myself, aged 7 years, watching "Hard days night" on TV, my (departed) mother came in the room and said: "Oh, these are the Beatles!" - and this was the beginning of a hardcore-fanship! These songs got along with me for most of my life and it was a very big JOY, even with tears, to hear them live again (last time I saw Sir Paul was in 1989)! An amazing experience!

Date: December 5, 2011 11:03

Quite a creative way to present The Word and ending it with All You Need is Love and then She Loves You! Awesome. Muenke, your story was poignant and heartfelt. Thanks!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 5, 2011 12:16

'sniff' All my loving...my very first single....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 5, 2011 13:24

I've been to the first concert in Bologna and that's been nothing less than fantastic. Macca is in a fantastic shape, and hasn't lost any of his chops. The band is just awesome, and they have played for three hours performing 40 songs!! The Word is awesome, but also the songs from the Wings were stunning!!! For instance Ninety Hundred Eighty Five! Also "Here Today" has been very touching!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 5, 2011 16:14

Yes, the Paris gig was also awesome. The setlist pretty much standard but he manages to include six or seven different songs each time.

The Word
The Night Before
Come and Get It
1985 (not played in Europe the lmast time)
San Francisco Bay Blues
Jr's Farm
I've Just Seen a Face

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 5, 2011 18:48

slew
Can't wait for Mickscarey's comment on this one!

We are many here who can't wait for Mickscarey's comment on anything!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 5, 2011 19:05

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 5, 2011 20:12

The affection people have for Beatles music is palatable and enormous. I think I'd tear up during All My Loving as well. Getting old is confusing. I've become more sentimental and more cynical at the same time.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:12

pmk251
The affection people have for Beatles music is palatable and enormous. I think I'd tear up during All My Loving as well. Getting old is confusing. I've become more sentimental and more cynical at the same time.

You're not the only one!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 5, 2011 23:20

i've become more symmetrical and conical with age...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 6, 2011 04:12

There's no crying in rock and roll.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 6, 2011 10:19

tatters
There's no crying in rock and roll.

That basically is true, but it´s a matter of age and beeing affected by those songs (meaning the "early" beatles-stuff I loved so much as a child) for most of my life makes this a very special experiance, it wasn´t a "normal" rocknroll-concert, it´s about the music and the memories you share with it. I´m 40 years old right now and i´ve learned that no one has to be ashamed of crying if one´s touched by something ... Can´t get emotionally that close the the Stones, because I started listening to them when I was about 18 years old!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 6, 2011 10:26

"All My Loving" does that to me when I hear McCartney play it more than the other Beatles tunes.

I don't know why.. it's a great simple intro "Close your eyes..." and then the adrenelin rush (and the great walking bass).

Gets me every time.

It's the purest of pure Beatles and I'm a child again.

Silly old sod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home