Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Love for Little Feat?
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 6, 2014 02:16

If so, this should interest you as much as it does me. There's even a slight Stones connection.

Where Do I Start With Little Feat?

The most underrated ’70s band to come out of Los Angeles—no, make that the whole country—Little Feat never had a true hit single. In my years of listening to classic-rock radio, I’ve yet to hear one of their songs in the rotation. Until former Rolling Stone editor Ben Fong-Torres published Willin’: The Story of Little Feat in November of last year, no one had written a biography of the band. Fong-Torres’s book is jammed with quotes from the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt, and Rickie Lee Jones, testifying to the greatness of Little Feat during their golden age. Marshall Tucker, Eric Clapton, and Robert Plant have called Little Feat their favorite band, and the Stones and Dylan both made sure to see them live.

They still tour, but without their founder, who died in 1979. Happily for Feat’s fans, though, Rhino Records has just released a 13-disc box set of the band’s recorded and live songs, plus outtakes, called Rad Gumbo: The Complete Warner Bros. Years 1971-1990. If you’ve never gotten acquainted with the band, now’s the time.

Full article:
[www.slate.com]

Re: OT: Love for Little Feat?
Date: March 6, 2014 02:18

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 6, 2014 02:23

Dixie Chicken was one of those albums I played so much and knew so well, I eventually reached the point where I didn't need to hear it ever again!

Except I think I'll dig it out, right now . . . smiling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 6, 2014 02:27

Taylor played on one of their albums, might have been WAITING FOR COLUMBUS.

Date: March 6, 2014 02:30

Yeah, me too, Aqua. That box set sounds pretty tempting....

[www.amazon.com]

Date: March 6, 2014 02:33

Glam Descendant

Cool, GlamD. Do you know which song?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 6, 2014 02:38

Sure loved Lowell and his signature sound which I find today in Sonny Landreth...but I never liked more then 4 or 5 tracks by the Featies...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 6, 2014 03:01

I'll put in a specific plug for Sailing Shoes (1972).

I love the original, four-piece down 'n dirty Feat and it's a monster of a record.

Of course, Dixie Chicken was a mighty follow-up and equally brilliant in an entirely different way. It's hard to think of a time when a band so completely revamped its lineup and sound and bridged the change with two such superb records.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 6, 2014 03:34

latebloomer
Glam Descendant

Cool, GlamD. Do you know which song?

"Apolitical Blues" and amazingly there is video from one of Taylor's "down years":

[www.bing.com]

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 6, 2014 04:00

I love those first few Feat albums but my favourite, and I think the most Stones-y, would be the first, self-titled album: Truck Stop Girl, Snakes On Everything, Brides of Jesus, etc. Doesn't seem to get as much love as Sailin' Shoes or Dixie Chicken but it's my favourite.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 04:26

I still love them. Saw them last year near Milano and it was still a pretty good show. I was glad i could see them once

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 6, 2014 05:01

I'm surprised no one posted this one. Isn't it the one that everyone knows even if they don't know about Little Feat?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 6, 2014 06:28

.....did they ever sell many albums in China???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 06:32

I've loved this band a long time. Sailin' Shoes is the one that moves.

One of those albums that almost makes brilliance commonplace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 15:45 by Stoner72.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 6, 2014 07:33

andrewm
I love those first few Feat albums but my favourite, and I think the most Stones-y, would be the first, self-titled album: Truck Stop Girl, Snakes On Everything, Brides of Jesus, etc. Doesn't seem to get as much love as Sailin' Shoes or Dixie Chicken but it's my favourite.

Haven't played that one for so long I'd forgotten it, but you're right--another great one to dig out.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 6, 2014 11:46

Feats Don't Fail Me Now has a special place for me. Great Album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 11:47 by Roll73.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 6, 2014 12:11

Loved them and saw them four times - supporting The Who at Charlton 76; Hammersmith Odeon 76 (Mick Taylor joined them for A Apolitical Blues); andf twice for the Waiting For Columbus shows at The Rainb ow when Mick Taylor also joined them for the same song.

Little Feat were universally loved and the Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who were all big fans.

I've always wondered about the amazing similarities between the series of postcards given away with the original copies of Exile On Main Street and the inner gatefold photos for Little Feat's Sailing Shoes albums.

Both albums came out in May 1972, I think Exile came out on May 12. Not sure on the exact date for Sailing Shoes.

But both sets of photos show each band in very similar gangster like poses, almost like they were taken from a movie reel.

Does anyone know the story about how these photos were so remarkably similar. Who ripped off who?

Date: March 6, 2014 13:51

stonehearted
I'm surprised no one posted this one. Isn't it the one that everyone knows even if they don't know about Little Feat?

I didn't post it because I figured everyone does know that one, stonehearted. But you're right, it is the Feats most well known song and probably the favorite bar tune back in the 70's.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: March 6, 2014 13:58

Mick Jagger mentioned back in the day that he was listening to "Sailing Shoes"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:06

Love this band! Haven't seen 'em in a few years but "Waiting For Columbus" is always within reach in my "to go" CD case. I never saw them with LG (I'm to young) but after seeing them at the arena I was a stage hand at on their first tour after reuniting, I went out and bought "Waiting For Columbus" the next day on my way in to the arena. "Oh Atlanta" still in my head from the night before, I don't know that it has ever escaped my brain since.

I'll vouch for the post-LG band as worthy of the tradition LG set for them. Can anyone here vouch for the post-Richie Hayward band? I haven't seen/heard them with their new drummer and though I hear he's very good, there was something special/unique about where/how Richie placed the beat (kind of like what Charlie brings to the Stones) that makes me wonder if I'd ever be able to really accept another drummer behind the Feat. If I can convince myself that I won't spend the whole show missing Richie, I'd love to see 'em again!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 6, 2014 16:22

Don't know them very well but I could listen to Spanish Moon all day long!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 6, 2014 16:27

Not a fan of Little Feat they are not my cup of tea. Way back in the 80's and early 90's Classic rock stations in the Washington DC area used to play the hell out of Dixie Chicken, Oh Atlanta, Fat Man in the Bathtub and Sailin' Shoes sometimes multiple times per day. UGHH that sh*t's still etched in my brain (and not necessarilary in a good way) and I can't get it out.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: March 6, 2014 17:43

I was fortunate enough to see the Feat with Lowell George at the Oriental Theatre in Milwaukee in 1977. Love all the early stuff--Dixie Chicken takes me back to a very happy time in my life. Saw the post-Lowell band a couple of times and I think I had one of their CDs, but they never really did it for me.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 6, 2014 18:25

My favorite guitar double stop leads of all time starting at 1:45.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 18:27 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 6, 2014 18:32

great band !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 6, 2014 19:26

More Hot Rocks
My favorite guitar double stop leads of all time starting at 1:45.

Thanks for posting! I've enjoyed that song since the night I heard them play it live the first time. Fell in love with it as I've been able to listen to multiple live versions (plus the studio version) over the years. If you've never heard them do it accousticly, it's worth searching out. I've got it on their "Live At The Ram's Head" album which is a 2-CD Live Accoustic set. Can't search youtube from here in the office but I'd imagine someone has put something up there!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 6, 2014 19:55

First off -- dig 'em. They are one of those bands where once or twice a year I go on a jag where they're almost all I listen to. Pretty much centered around "Sailin' Shoes'" "Dixie Chicken'" and "Waiting for Columbus" as well as a comp or two.

They're also one of a few elite bands that expertly puts all the great American music into a delicious stew that is distinctly their own. Thinking also of the Band, the Allman Brothers, and those Englishmen the Rolling Stones. Truly Cosmic American Music.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: March 6, 2014 20:45

Waiting for Columbus

in the top ten for live albums.

Love the early stuff, but Time Loves a Hero was pretty cool.

Saw them live at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio-we crawled up into an empty lighting platform and watched the show, what a night in a college town...

Date: March 6, 2014 22:37

Wry Cooter
First off -- dig 'em. They are one of those bands where once or twice a year I go on a jag where they're almost all I listen to. Pretty much centered around "Sailin' Shoes'" "Dixie Chicken'" and "Waiting for Columbus" as well as a comp or two.

They're also one of a few elite bands that expertly puts all the great American music into a delicious stew that is distinctly their own. Thinking also of the Band, the Allman Brothers, and those Englishmen the Rolling Stones. Truly Cosmic American Music.

Wonderful description! thumbs up smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 6, 2014 22:57

mr_dja
Wry Cooter

Wonderful description! thumbs up smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Shucks! Happy to oblige.

Gonna go watch that live video of "Spanish Moon" now....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home