Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bobby Whitlock talks Derek and Dominoes & other
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 19, 2018 16:44

Nice read. Stones mentions in it. The Layla album is still one of my fave listens.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Re: OT: Bobby Whitlock talks Derek and Dominoes & other
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 19, 2018 18:15

the reference to Keith is bad, in this. Whitlock says he (Whitlock) played the electric piano on 'Just Wanna See His Face' without coming right out and saying it...

is that right, am I reading it right..?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 19, 2018 20:03

duke richardson
the reference to Keith is bad, in this. Whitlock says he (Whitlock) played the electric piano on 'Just Wanna See His Face' without coming right out and saying it...

Interesting Duke that in Whitlock's book he talks about the sessions when JWSHF was recorded, and he did not mention anything about playing piano on that track. It's on page 126. He just said he was there, at least in the account that landed in the book.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 19, 2018 20:34

filstan
duke richardson

Interesting Duke that in Whitlock's book he talks about the sessions when JWSHF was recorded, and he did not mention anything about playing piano on that track. It's on page 126. He just said he was there, at least in the account that landed in the book.
yeah..

seems like he wants credit for that piano on that song..

i may be mis-reading it.. sounds like he's saying its him on the record..

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 19, 2018 20:35

I just wish there was more Derek & The Dominos live material to be released.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: March 20, 2018 02:49

tomcasagranda
I just wish there was more Derek & The Dominos live material to be released.

There are a few good sounding bootlegs out there. My wish is that two of the songs they did on the Johnny Cash show, Got To Get Better In A Little While and Blues Power had been filmed by the camera crew. Since it was their only t.v. appearance, it's a shame that two of the songs weren't filmed...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 20, 2018 05:15

duke richardson
filstan
duke richardson

yeah..

Well, many have said, including Bill, that Jagger wrote the credits for EOMS... and got some of it wrong.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 20, 2018 05:17

The Fillmore East shows were epic. If anyone wants, I can post links.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 20, 2018 06:34

Here is a recent interview with Bobby at SXSW.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 20, 2018 11:35

His "Rock Your Sox Off" with Les Dudek, Chuck Leavell and Jimmy Hall is my all-time favorite.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 20, 2018 12:48

Some of the greatest music ever recorded on vinyl .A testament to Bobby Whitlock and Eric Clapton ole Slowhand himself the greatest guitar slinger of all time who has brought me so much joy and still continues to this very minute (Thanks George )

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 20, 2018 12:59

TheGreek
Some of the greatest music ever recorded on vinyl .A testament to Bobby Whitlock and Eric Clapton ole Slowhand himself the greatest guitar slinger of all time who has brought me so much joy and still continues to this very minute (Thanks George )

let's not forget Duane Allman. you want to talk about guitar weaving, Layla might be the peak of it. i've seen Clapton lots of times since the late 1970s. he always seems to be better when he has another guitar player pushing him, like Derek Trucks or Steve Winwood.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 20, 2018 13:06

For those among y'all who are Whitlock fans, there is a CD set called "In Their own Words" which was released in the early 90s of a number of artists who played songs at the Bottom Line in NYC in late 80s or early 90s and did singer-songwriter showcases.

Whitlock closes out Disc 1 with a truly TRANSCENDENT versions of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"

It is SO worth finding.

His brother, Norman, used to drive a cab in Memphis, as he toted me back to my Hotel from a night on Beale Street in 2001.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 20, 2018 15:46

Always wondered if Layla somehow influenced Exile.

The two projects have a lot of similarities. At least, to my ears they do.

C

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 20, 2018 20:27

crholmstrom
TheGreek

let's not forget Duane Allman. you want to talk about guitar weaving, Layla might be the peak of it. i've seen Clapton lots of times since the late 1970s. he always seems to be better when he has another guitar player pushing him, like Derek Trucks or Steve Winwood.

He will be playing one show with Derek Trucks opening Greenwichtownparty.org and one with Steve Winwood opening at Hyde Park this summer. Hoping the Greenwich show gets us one last electric Layla. Luckily I have tickets to both >grinning smiley<

Date: March 21, 2018 04:35

tomk
duke richardson
filstan
duke richardson

yeah..

Well, many have said, including Bill, that Jagger wrote the credits for EOMS... and got some of it wrong.

somewhere on the Tube you can see the interview where he clearly states that he played the groove.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 21, 2018 15:22

crholmstrom
TheGreek

Yup. Its a truly sublime album and its really a testament to all of them. Bobby and Eric just totally in the moment at that time and Duane really pushing Eric and helping it become a reality. Lightning in a bottle as the article says. No other way to put it. For that very small window of time, anything that group did was untouchable and thankfully we have that preserved on record (Key To The Highway being a completely unedited jam). I love solo Eric and Cream and Blind Faith but there really is something about Layla that just makes it his defining work to me. Good to hear from Whitlock cause I always feel like he kinda gets sidelined in the whole thing when he wrote half the record.

Any reason he never really played with Eric after this? Seems like the Winwood/Clapton tour a Whitlock/Clapton show would be absolutely obvious and amazing.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2018 16:28

Well, Carl Radle of course played with Eric following his 74 Comeback tour...but then had his own health/drug issues.
Jim Gordon sadly (not sure when it ocurred) murdered his Mother so Whitlock is the survivor. Maybe there are other issues re songwriting credits that we are not aware of.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 21, 2018 20:08

any fan of the In Concert album ? it has a unique something I can not describe. All these long songs and solos bring you somewhere up, I would say smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 22, 2018 02:43

LOVE the In Concert record! The first 2 tracks are the band's most incredible live moments IMHO. Always so loved Got to Get Better in a Little While!

Gonna go play it now....

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home