Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Angry Judge Sentences MICHAEL JACKSON'S "DOCTOR" to 4 Years In Prison
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:50

From [latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Angry judge gives Conrad Murray 4 years in Michael Jackson's death
November 29, 2011

A judge on Tuesday sentenced Dr. Conrad Murray to four years behind bars -- the maximum punishment possible -- for his part in Michael Jackson's death, saying the doctor’s role in the singer’s fatal overdose was “money-for-medicine madness.”

In blistering and lengthy remarks, Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor lambasted Murray for failing to express any remorse for the pop star’s death and suggesting in a recent documentary that Jackson bore responsibility for his own demise.

“Talk about blaming the victim,” Pastor said. “Not only isn’t there any remorse, there is umbrage and outrage on the part of Dr. Murray against the decedent.”

Pastor denied the defense's request for probation.

"The fact remains, Dr. Murray is offended that [his] patient died," Pastor said in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom. And Murray remains a danger to the community, he said.
Murray, who was convicted Nov. 7 of involuntary manslaughter, did not speak before Pastor issued his sentence Tuesday.

Pastor said that he had been impressed by statements from Murray's friends and family, who talked about his treatment of the poor. He said that he considered the entirety of Murray's life, something defense attorney Ed Chernoff had urged him to do.

But he said he had also considered "the book" of Michael Jackson's life.

"Regrettably, as far as Dr. Murray is concerned, the most significant chapter as it relates to this case is the chapter involving the treatment or lack of treatment of Michael Jackson," Pastor said.

He called Murray's treatment a "disgrace to the medical profession."

“Michael Jackson died not because of an isolated one-off occurrence or incident," Pastor said. "He died because of a totality of circumstances which are directly attributable to Dr. Murray, not some mistake or some accident in the early morning hours of 2009."

He said Murray engaged in a "horrible cycle of medicine."

Prosecutors had also argued that Murray should serve the maximum sentence, citing his "lies," "coverup" and "concealment."

"Conrad Murray knew perfectly well that what he was doing was wrong," Deputy Dist. Atty. David Walgren said. "He knew perfectly well that what he was doing was risking Michael Jackson's life."

Over a four-week case, prosecutors painted Murray as a deceptive and incompetent doctor who abandoned his medical judgment in complying with Jackson's request to be given a surgical anesthetic to put him to sleep.

Witnesses testified to many egregious medical missteps -– giving propofol in an unmonitored setting, fumbling at basic resuscitation, keeping no records –- failures that experts said directly led to Jackson's overdose death.

As his famed patient stopped breathing and suffered cardiac arrest under the influence of propofol, jurors were told, the doctor chatted on the phone and sent and received email and text messages. And in the crucial moments after he discovered the singer had stopped breathing, he delayed calling for help and lied to paramedics and emergency doctors, witnesses said.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 21:42 by schillid.

Re: Michael Jackson's Doctor Sentenced to Prison
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:51

Judge declines to grant probation...
cites "unacceptable, egregious set of departures" from medical ethics...

Re: Michael Jackson's Doctor Sentenced to 4 Years In Prison
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:56

He might deserve it, I don't know. I didn't follow the case much. But I knew he wouldn't just get probation. I knew that in the same way Michael could never get convicted of anything, the guy who "killed" him wouldn't get off.

Re: Angry Judge Sentences MICHAEL JACKSON'S "DOCTOR" to 4 Years In Prison
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 21:59

In The Godfather novel (not the movie) Sonny's lover, Lucy, marries a surgeon named Jules Segal. He tells her of lousy Hollywood doctors. "If they were good doctors, they wouldn't gravitate to Hollywood."

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:07

Die with a doctor in the house !!!!!!

Date: November 29, 2011 22:42

Yes, he's a Dr. Feelgood. That's why he's in Hollywood. Dead celebrities over the age of 18 are culpable for their own poor choices. The routine of "someone should have been watching out for them" is nonsense whether it's Brian Jones, Bruce Lee, Elvis, John Belushi, Michael Jackson, or Amy Winehouse. Just because you're wealthy and talented doesn't give you a pass on owning up to your own actions no matter how tragic the outcome.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 00:57

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Yes, he's a Dr. Feelgood. That's why he's in Hollywood. Dead celebrities over the age of 18 are culpable for their own poor choices. The routine of "someone should have been watching out for them" is nonsense whether it's Brian Jones, Bruce Lee, Elvis, John Belushi, Michael Jackson, or Amy Winehouse. Just because you're wealthy and talented doesn't give you a pass on owning up to your own actions no matter how tragic the outcome.

True. but that doesn't absolve a licensed doctor for inethical behavior....
That's like saying the drug dealer didn't actually force the addict to take the drug, which, in essence, was what Murrey was, a drug dealer.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 30, 2011 01:18

They should give Michael's father 40 years.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 30, 2011 02:17

Angry judge gives Conrad Murray 4 years in Michael Jackson's death

soooo... in California... 4 years is about... 4 days of real time?
Based on what we have seen for other celebs sentanced to "prison"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:05

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Yes, he's a Dr. Feelgood. That's why he's in Hollywood.

Truman Capote on the Stones' own "Dr. Feelgood" (from a 1973 ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE interview):

TRUMAN CAPOTE: "They [the Stones] had this doctor on the plane who was a young doctor from San Francisco, about 28 years old, rather good-looking. He would pass through the plane with a great big plate of pills, every kind you could imagine, everything from vitamin C to vitamin coke...I couldn't really quite figure out why. He had just started practice in San Francisco, and this seemed sort of a dramatic thing to be doing, traveling with, uh...I mean, especially since he wasn't particularly a great fan of theirs.

"It developed that he had a super Lolita-complex. I mean thirteen-, fourteen-year-old kids. He would arrive at whatever city we would arrive at, and there would always be these hordes of kids outside and he would walk around, you know, like a little super-fukc and say, `You know I'm Mick Jagger's personal physician. How would you like to see the show from backstage?' And they'd go, `Oooo! Wigawigawigawa!' He would get quite a collection of them. Backstage, you know, he would have them spread out, and every now and then he would bring one back to the plane. Usually someone slightly older.

"The one I remember the most was a girl who said she'd come to the Rolling Stones thing to get a story for her high school newspaper, and wasn't this wonderful how she'd met Dr. Feelgood and got backstage...Anyway, she got on the plane, and she sure got a story, all right [laughs], because they fitted up the back of the plane for this. You know Robert Frank? He was on the tour. Robert Frank got out all his lights, the plane was flying along and there was Dr. Feelgood screwing this girl in every conceivable position while Robert Frank was filming, and as the plane was flying back to Washington it was flying at a really strange angle. And the stewardess kept saying, `Would you please mind moving forward?' [laughs] And then the plane landed and they always brought these authorities on board for checkout, and Dr. Feelgood had a terribly hard time getting his trousers on. And in the end he had to come off the plane holding his trousers in his hand."

Did the girl know that she was being photographed?

TRUMAN CAPOTE: "Of course! They had lights up and everything. She was enjoying it. I said to her, `Well, you came to get a story for your high school newspaper and you're sure getting one.' She got off at the next stop. I must say they were always very nice about these kids."

Full interview in book below:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-30 08:08 by Title5Take1.

Date: November 30, 2011 08:17

man thats hardcore

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:37

The doctor deserves four years since he knew what he was up to, he was MJ:s dealer. However, these hardcore MJ fans should be aware their idol manipulated people and probably also the dr himself to get the drugs he wanted. It's not like the doctor killed him, MJ did that to himself.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:15

He'll be out in eighteen months to two years, and he'll make millions from the book and interview circuit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home