Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Great Guitarists (according to rock and rollers)
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:20

another top 100 list and Keef is in the top 10!? Does that make sense. Even he would probably disagree...
Rolling Stone

They “assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else.” (Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison).

Rolling Stone’s “100 Greatest Guitarists” List:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3. Jimmy Page
4. Keith Richards
5. Jeff Beck
6. B.B. King
7. Chuck Berry
8. Eddie Van Halen
9. Duane Allman
10. Pete Townshend

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 01:24 by Turner.

Re: Great Guitarists (according to rock and rollers)
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 29, 2011 01:27

Yes, the whole list has been a hot debate topic on the net, I saw that latest RS at the store, Clapton was on the cover though they might have a few different covers. We all have different tastes, no need to really even express my views.

TomSea in the mini-league tournaments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 01:28 by BroomWagon.

Date: November 29, 2011 03:13

Nils' essay on KR is actually quite good

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:37

I've always kept an eye on these lists, and rarely if ever has MT appeared in them, so it's great to see him getting the recognition he deserves. Thanks to the release of L&G I guess..

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:58

Steve Howe never shows up on these type lists...very odd

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 29, 2011 04:11

If I understand well the panel(persons who voted) are professional guitar players and a lot of them very wellknown and acknowledged as great guitarists which is a pretty good way to try to determine who are the best in that profession. If you want to know who are the best chefs you gather a panel made of professional and reputed chefs and they decide.There was another thread where people were complaining about Rolling Stone Mag. to come up with such lists; I don't see what is wrong with the concept; it seems reasonable to me.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 29, 2011 04:21

Everytime RS wants to beef up sales they do this stupid list. Have no idea who the expert panel is or if it even exists.

Hendrix always said "There is no 'best.' He admired Clapton. who was a good friend, and particularly Beck.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 04:27

This list is a lot better than some I've seen, but I still don't get it. They had a list a few years ago that had Kurt Cobain in the top 10. While I love Kurt/Nirvana, it has nothing to do with Kurt's skill, because he wasn't a great guitar player. He's moved down on this list, which I think is wise. They also had The Edge in the top 10 or 15, a guy who is admittedly a mediocre guitarist and relies on effects pedals entirely. But he's in U2 so he's always going to be on the list, he's number 38 on this list which is better, but the problem is that Mick Taylor is 37. On a list of great guitar players Mick and The Edge shouldn't even be in the same conversation, and Mick should edge him out by more than 1 spot. Maybe Mick Jagger should edge out The Edge by 1 spot, but not Taylor. Robert Johnson, Joe Perry, Lindsay Buckingham, Peter Green, Joe Walsh, Mick Ronson and Steve Cropper are all ranked below The Edge, which is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 04:28 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 04:35

NoCode0680
This list is a lot better than some I've seen, but I still don't get it. They had a list a few years ago that had Kurt Cobain in the top 10. While I love Kurt/Nirvana, it has nothing to do with Kurt's skill, because he wasn't a great guitar player. He's moved down on this list, which I think is wise. They also had The Edge in the top 10 or 15, a guy who is admittedly a mediocre guitarist and relies on effects pedals entirely. But he's in U2 so he's always going to be on the list, he's number 38 on this list which is better, but the problem is that Mick Taylor is 37. On a list of great guitar players Mick and The Edge shouldn't even be in the same conversation, and Mick should edge him out by more than 1 spot. Maybe Mick Jagger should edge out The Edge by 1 spot, but not Taylor. Robert Johnson, Joe Perry, Lindsay Buckingham, Peter Green, Joe Walsh, Mick Ronson and Steve Cropper are all ranked below The Edge, which is wrong.

Agree 100%

Date: November 29, 2011 05:36

Good points, there are always a few that seem weird like Johnny Ramone at #28; I think Dick Wagner beats any Ramone easily

Date: November 29, 2011 06:32

Turner
Good points, there are always a few that seem weird like Johnny Ramone at #28; I think Dick Wagner beats any Ramone easily

Yeah, I found Johnny Ramone strange too. I only own 4 of their albums (one of which is the 2 CD Anthology) but did Johnny ever do anything except for bang away on barre chords all day long? I read that he never played a guitar solo, on the few studio tracks where one popped up it was always played by a session musician or the producer.

I understand that the list isn't just about playing great solos, as ingenuity and originality are part of it. But even as a straight rhythm player, Johnny was kind of boring. Barre chords, all day every day. Anybody with who can hold a pick with one hand and has at least two fingers on the other can play most Ramones songs.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 29, 2011 07:35

Johnny was a pioneer, emulated by countless who followed.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 29, 2011 08:52

Have a good look at this names and ranking:

Tom Verlaine 90
J Mascis 86
John McLaughlin 68
Johnny Winter 63
-------------------
Duane Allman 9
??????????????????????confused smiley

This can't be serious lists made of serious persons for sure...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 29, 2011 11:01

Come On

Tom Verlaine 90
J Mascis 86
John McLaughlin 68
Johnny Winter 63
-------------------
Duane Allman 9

are you saying duane allman doesn't deserve a top 10 spot?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 29, 2011 11:05

keefriffhard4life
Come On

Tom Verlaine 90
J Mascis 86
John McLaughlin 68
Johnny Winter 63
-------------------
Duane Allman 9

are you saying duane allman doesn't deserve a top 10 spot?

Yes he does, but the 4 above should be higher ranked, like 4-5-6-7...smoking smiley

Date: November 29, 2011 11:08

oh yeah agree on johnny winter being too low. leslie west is also really low on the list

Date: November 29, 2011 11:10

Buckethead (aka Brian Carroll) needs to be on the list. Even if you don't like his music (I only care for some of it) his technical skill is undeniable.

Date: November 29, 2011 11:17

NoCode0680
Buckethead (aka Brian Carroll) needs to be on the list. Even if you don't like his music (I only care for some of it) his technical skill is undeniable.

did you notice steve vai and joe satriani aren't even on the list?

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 29, 2011 13:36

jack white and kurt cobain on the list? make's no sense.with vai,satriani, steve howe not on the list!

Date: November 29, 2011 13:47

NoCode0680

This list is not about technical skills, I guess.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 29, 2011 18:48

I would rank Jerry Garcia in the Top Ten. A massive oversight.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:03

This list appears to be one very demented persons' opinion! We'd all be better off o never read these lists..I can see Hendrix in the #1 spot though....but Jack White?? REALLY?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:04

...and what about the best unknown of them all eye rolling smiley

HMN

Date: November 29, 2011 19:06

keefriffhard4life
NoCode0680

did you notice steve vai and joe satriani aren't even on the list?

I did not, I thought it was a given they were usually on these lists.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:25

This has already been discussed ad nauseum: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 29, 2011 19:31

good lord, that RS webpage is designed so poorly. quit trying to make it look fancy and just give us the damn list!
is Syd Barrett on the list? he should be.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 20:17

Turner
another top 100 list and Keef is in the top 10!? Does that make sense. Even he would probably disagree...
Rolling Stone

They “assembled a panel of top guitarists and other experts to rank their favorites and explain what separates the legends from everyone else.” (Featuring Keith Richards on Chuck Berry, Carlos Santana on Jerry Garcia, Tom Petty on George Harrison).

Rolling Stone’s “100 Greatest Guitarists” List:
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3. Jimmy Page
4. Keith Richards
5. Jeff Beck
6. B.B. King
7. Chuck Berry
8. Eddie Van Halen
9. Duane Allman
10. Pete Townshend

How come Skipstone isn't on this list?

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 29, 2011 20:21

I don't see why people care. At best these lists are interesting / fun to read, but that's it. How to measure "greatest" when it comes to guitarplayers? It can't be done and who's the greatest comes down to personal taste and preferences.

The only scientifically measurable factor in guitarplaying is speed, and in that case there's guitarists like this:

I wouldn't even put him and his likes on my top 1000 list anyway...

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: November 29, 2011 20:38

audun-eg
I don't see why people care. At best these lists are interesting / fun to read, but that's it. How to measure "greatest" when it comes to guitarplayers? It can't be done and who's the greatest comes down to personal taste and preferences.

The only scientifically measurable factor in guitarplaying is speed, and in that case there's guitarists like this:

I wouldn't even put him and his likes on my top 1000 list anyway...

that is the funniest thing I have seen this week! Many thanks

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 29, 2011 20:52

It would be interesting to see the criteria which they use to reach these results. It's clearly obvious to me after seeing these type of things for over 40 years that it's nothing necessarily to do with technical abilities. I'm guessing it's an all round type of criteria, taking into account, riffs, song writing, noteriety, technical ability, chart success, death, the look, how influential etc etc. In which case Keith definatly deserves his place in any top 10. He defined a new way of playing electric guitar, he wrote some of the most memorable riffs, he looked the part, he lived the part, he wrote fantastic songs, songs which charted, songs which have been used for advertising, sound tracks etc etc...he influenced several generations of guitarists. I'd also argue he is a damn fine rhythm guitarist.

I think if we judge him against the likes of technically gifted guitarists such as Steve Howe and Carlos Santana then he will come out badly as they are way ahead of him in this respect but they are also limited in that they don't cover as many musical styles as Keith has and fall into their own genre. Keith has only been defined by one genre and that is The Stones and the Stones cover many genres!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home