Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2018 The Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc...., Is this the last year?
Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: January 26, 2018 16:47

New albums anticipated or hinted at from the Stones, McCartney and Clapton. All three touring to one degree or another. Even Reg has indicated that he's coming to the end of the road.

So, the question is....... is this year the last big year? The end of the line?

Re: 2018 The Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc...., Is this the last year?
Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 16:50

To my knowledge the Stones and McCartney have said they have absolutely no plans to retire.

Date: January 26, 2018 16:56

mnewman505
To my knowledge the Stones and McCartney have said they have absolutely no plans to retire.

Yes, that's a nice soundbite but...... consider this. It's 13 years since ABB. And look at how the Stones have prevaricated over the alleged new album. Similarly, McCartney has taken 5 years since his last NEW album. Clapton has been slightly more prolifc but has hinted that his touring days are almost at an end. Even if the Stones and McCartney took half the time to deliver their subsequent projects you are still looking at the early to mid 2020s. So, they might say absolutely no plans to retire but that statement is meaningless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 16:57 by KevinLocksPerm.

Date: January 26, 2018 17:05

And I say let's live this moment to the max, enjoy every moment and tell our grand kids all about it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 26, 2018 17:09

I'm just happy I've seen everyone I feel I had to at this point. I don't really feel compelled to catch the Stones or McCartney if they come back around to my area, whether this be their last big year or not. Each year I feel is the Stones last and then they come back so I've kinda stopped trying to predict it. When it happens, it happens, and most likely they won't know. They'll just stop going out. I do assume we're getting close to the end. Whether its this year or in 5 I feel its imminent so if there's anyone you haven't seen and have wanted to or that you hear is great, I'd do it now. Who knows when the end is actually coming but I feel most of these guys won't be that different now than they have been in the last 5 or the next 5 (hence why I'm not really tempted to catch any of them a second or third or fourth time).

I do think by 2020 there may be way less out on the road and as active so yeah I'm thinking within this next 2 years is when several start packing it in, but again I've thought that before and been wrong.

Date: January 26, 2018 17:12

RollingFreak
I'm just happy I've seen everyone I feel I had to at this point. I don't really feel compelled to catch the Stones or McCartney if they come back around to my area, whether this be their last big year or not. Each year I feel is the Stones last and then they come back so I've kinda stopped trying to predict it. When it happens, it happens, and most likely they won't know. They'll just stop going out. I do assume we're getting close to the end. Whether its this year or in 5 I feel its imminent so if there's anyone you haven't seen and have wanted to or that you hear is great, I'd do it now. Who knows when the end is actually coming but I feel most of these guys won't be that different now than they have been in the last 5 or the next 5 (hence why I'm not really tempted to catch any of them a second or third or fourth time).

I do think by 2020 there may be way less out on the road and as active so yeah I'm thinking within this next 2 years is when several start packing it in, but again I've thought that before and been wrong.

The future's uncertain, the end is always near.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 26, 2018 18:20

Yes.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 21:16

how can someone have no plans to retire.

am i missing something here, can we all continue working into the afterlife.

basic fact here, nothing lasts forever and whether we like it or not, for many musicians the end is a lot nearer than it was when they started out.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 26, 2018 22:26

Its odd really. Nobody much concerned themselves with the respective ages of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Fats Domino and others when they were still out on the road in their 70s and 80s. As long as there was an audience nobody cared if it was a Greatest Hits show. They cannot have been doing it for the money?
Many jazz musicians likewise (check the recently deceased Hugh Masekela, for example).
I certainly think Macca is in for the long haul....what else can a poor boy do?

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 26, 2018 22:40

I'd say Stones could possibly do some shows 2019 if everyone's health is ok. Jagger probably won't push it much beyond that. His stage presence alone is a legacy that he will not want tarnished. No inside info but it's my opinion.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 26, 2018 22:43

jlowe
Its odd really. Nobody much concerned themselves with the respective ages of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Fats Domino and others when they were still out on the road in their 70s and 80s. As long as there was an audience nobody cared if it was a Greatest Hits show. They cannot have been doing it for the money?
Many jazz musicians likewise (check the recently deceased Hugh Masekela, for example).
I certainly think Macca is in for the long haul....what else can a poor boy do?

I think the difference was a lot of those guys were on a much small level. Obviously the founders and godfathers of rock, but people like Fats Domino, BB King? They play where they can play and, thankfully, there were people that still went out and saw them. They weren't filling arenas, charging exorbitant prices, and frankly moving around nearly as much as Macca or Jagger does in a show. I'm not saying its not impressive they were still out there, but I think its a different perception.

Someone I think will be out there till that old age of 90 or whatever is a Bruce Springsteen. I could be wrong, but health permitted I could see him being out there for the rest of his life because he loves performing. BUT, his lifespan with his E Street Band and performing sold out arena and stadium shows is certainly limited so while I don't think he's anywhere near the idea of retirement, I do think he's on the verge of probably retiring that live aspect. The big arena/stadium show. At a certain age you just can't do it anymore. So in that way I see him as similar to the Stones, McCartney, Clapton, a Neil Young. I think all of those guys could continue doing stuff in clubs or theaters or small places with perhaps not as much going on. Maybe just them and a guitar but not a full loud rock and roll band. But doing what they've done all their lives? It has to end eventually.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 28, 2018 00:47

I like RollingFreak's take on what the Stones, McCartney, and others could do in terms of small venues. Think of Springsteen on Broadway in New York City. An extended run at a small venue in your major/larger cities by the Stones or a favorite performer would be something many of us would be willing to attend. Think about the Allman Brothers Band and their extended run at the Beacon Theater every year. It sold out months in advance and was something people looked forward to attending.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2018 00:51

ZZ Top have just announced a limited six night residency at the Venetian Hotel in Vegas.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 28, 2018 01:00

dmay
I like RollingFreak's take on what the Stones, McCartney, and others could do in terms of small venues. Think of Springsteen on Broadway in New York City. An extended run at a small venue in your major/larger cities by the Stones or a favorite performer would be something many of us would be willing to attend. Think about the Allman Brothers Band and their extended run at the Beacon Theater every year. It sold out months in advance and was something people looked forward to attending.

Before he passed, Tom Petty was in the early stages of planning a "Wildflowers" theater tour for this year...he said he was done with the big, long tours and talked about transitioning to smaller venues. Would have been cool to see.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 28, 2018 01:02

buttons67
how can someone have no plans to retire.

am i missing something here, can we all continue working into the afterlife.

basic fact here, nothing lasts forever and whether we like it or not, for many musicians the end is a lot nearer than it was when they started out.

Thankfully, retirement and death are two different things. grinning smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2018 14:58

I remember The Stones, McCartney, and The Who all touring in 1989 and thinking that was the last year!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 28, 2018 16:39

In 1989 The Who advertised it was their final tour... and for me it was.

I was/am done with "Final Tour" shenanigans... if/when a band says it... that is it for me too.

As far as the answer to the thread... regarding The Stones (who knows about those others people)...

NO.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2018 17:54

jlowe
Its odd really. Nobody much concerned themselves with the respective ages of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Fats Domino and others when they were still out on the road in their 70s and 80s.

Because they didn't bother people like the Stones did. And they didn't get the press denouncing their age like the Stones have since the 1980s, the whole 'collectively they're 385 years old' prattle, they just kept going "quietly".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2018 18:01

The end of the Stones won't be because people stop going to see them. It will be 1 of 2 things: Keith will be so unable to play, which for the past 15 years or so has become more relevant, or Charlie will really mean it/won't be able to play anymore.

Seeing that video of Elvis Costello etc honoring Fats with Dr John pulling a Keith on the piano and not singing was sad. He's just a bit older than Keith.

It won't take long. It can't anymore.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 28, 2018 18:33

KevinLocksPerm
New albums anticipated or hinted at from the Stones, McCartney and Clapton. All three touring to one degree or another. Even Reg has indicated that he's coming to the end of the road.

Re: Clapton and Mcartney, one can only hope. They should have both hung it up decades ago. Elton's last tour should be cool.

Stones will continue as they should.

Date: January 28, 2018 18:56

Leonioid

I was/am done with "Final Tour" shenanigans... if/when a band says it... that is it for me too.

As far as the answer to the thread... regarding The Stones (who knows about those others people)...

NO.

I thought it was 1982 I was at The Who’s retirement party in MN.
Oh Lord we are all getting old, David Beckham’s photos in the rags today looked like worn out hepatitis C advert.
EXCEPT OUR ROLLING STONES smileys with beer

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 28, 2018 19:02

mnewman505

They almost do nothing since 1983 (some say since 1967) ;-)

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 28, 2018 19:06

POTUS43 I Beg to differ with you on Macca, he is still delivering 3 plus hours of quality, but I do agree on Clapton, a bit of bore to see....

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 28, 2018 19:26

35love

'82 was the "Farewell" tour. The '89 "Reunion" celebrated the band's 25th anniversary.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2018 19:26

Leonioid

The Who's farewell tour was in 1982. In '89 they did sort of a "We Thought We'd Just Come Back To Say Good-Bye Again" tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 19:36 by tatters.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 28, 2018 19:57

Macca puts on a hell of a show, though his voice at times has issues. I’d go to see him again.
As for new albums, I’m not the least bit interested in anything new from him or the Stones or any of the ‘60’s and ‘70’s groups. I go to hear the soundtrack of my younger days, to experience it live. It is a great delight to attend a Stones or Macca show. Their creative fountains have, for all intents and purposes, have dried up. But they can all put on an energetic show.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:11

potus43
KevinLocksPerm

Re: Clapton and Mcartney, one can only hope. They should have both hung it up decades ago. Elton's last tour should be cool.

Stones will continue as they should.
Wow shocking commentary

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2018 21:04

The Stones should have packed it after the Steel Wheels Tour, and I should have quit seeing them after the '99 No Security Tour. The 'highlights' of their post '89 studio output could easily fit on a single disc. Their tours have been a history of diminishing returns since '99. I would think if you've never seen them live, you better hurry and see what's left of them.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 29, 2018 00:07

35love
Leonioid
Oh Lord we are all getting old, David Beckham’s photos in the rags today looked like worn out hepatitis C advert.
EXCEPT OUR ROLLING STONES smileys with beer

tatters
Leonioid

The Who's farewell tour was in 1982. In '89 they did sort of a "We Thought We'd Just Come Back To Say Good-Bye Again" tour.

I guess it is hard to keep track of all of the whos comings and quittings

btw- grinning smiley
That could be the name of a Hollywood love story movie -
Thought I'd Just Come Back To Say Good-Bye Again, I Need Some More Money

and of course... the sequels

Thought I'd Just Come Back To Say Good-Bye Again, I Need Some More Money II Meet The New Story, Same As The Old Story

Thought I'd Just Come Back To Say Good-Bye Again, I Need Some More Money III Can You Get Fooled Again?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 00:11 by Leonioid.

Date: January 29, 2018 00:45

GasLightStreet
jlowe
Its odd really. Nobody much concerned themselves with the respective ages of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Fats Domino and others when they were still out on the road in their 70s and 80s.

Because they didn't bother people like the Stones did. And they didn't get the press denouncing their age like the Stones have since the 1980s, the whole 'collectively they're 385 years old' prattle, they just kept going "quietly".

Agree.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home