Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Daytona 500
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 17, 2018 18:33

Any NASCAR fans out there among the Stones faithful?

With me, it was genetic. Born in NC, raised in VA, started out a Richard Petty fan, then Dale Earnhardt, then Dale, Jr.

Now, I have to go with Chase Elliott.

Nothing quite like 40 cars at Talladega or Daytona going by you at 200 mph, each of them the volume of Blue Cheer.

"I just feel bad for them boys back in the shop. The Sani-Flush Moonpie Chevy was runnin' good today till we came outta that tunnel turn, and it was Nellie Bar the Door....."

smileys with beer

Re: OT: Daytona 500
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 17, 2018 19:26

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 17, 2018 19:35

I hardly watch anymore, but growing up I was a huge Richard Petty fan also...

Thinking about going to Kentucky on 7-14, a good buddy and fellow Stones freak has never attended a race, so we have that one on the radar... unless I'm needed in Europe! Hahaha!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2018 19:38

going by you at 200 mph, each of them the volume of Blue Cheer

.....gonna be a yawn-fest when all cars go electric ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 17, 2018 20:06

I've gotten into it a bit because of my friend. She was born in Georgia so goes with the territory. Luckily she is a hardcore Seahawks fan too!

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: February 17, 2018 22:07

Yes, I'll be looking forward to the race! Watching the practice races from yesterday now.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 18, 2018 01:46

Yes, of course. I'm a Chase Elliott fan too.

Date: February 18, 2018 03:39

nascar has become boring. so many rules and restrictions on the cars it defeats the original intent. I might watch but why is nascar the only sport I can think of where the first competition of the season is made into a huge deal?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 18, 2018 04:09

Breaking down every race into three stages is nothing short of stupidity. I cant get over how lame this sport has become.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: February 18, 2018 04:50

Well you are in the minority on that opinion the stage format has gotten great reviews and it makes them race hard the whole race I love it

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: February 18, 2018 05:14

Be interesting to see if Martin Truex Jr. can have the same success he had last season. Seems like a classy guy.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 18, 2018 05:59

My favourite drives the #18 JGR Camry, Kyle Busch!!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 18, 2018 06:12

Rickster
Well you are in the minority on that opinion the stage format has gotten great reviews and it makes them race hard the whole race I love it

It wont last you watch, And it hasn't got great reviews. Half Empty grand stands week after week. The TV ratings last year were at a 17 year low.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 06:13 by Cooltoplady.

Date: February 18, 2018 07:40

will this season be the first season without an Earnhardt in it since the mid 70's?

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 18, 2018 08:54

The Daytona 500 race is tomorrow? I had no idea.

I liked stock car racing as a kid, started loving it in the 80s and was a rabid fan in 90s and early 2000s... then the horse crap started when the old man died and the stupid punkass kid brian france took over.

Brianboy is an idiot riding out the last days of what his Grandfather started... really he has been running it into the ground with so many stupid unorganic changes, excess rules and stupid BS.

Brian France is a classic example of a spoiled rich kid who squandered the family riches.

Viewership is down, fanship is down, Race attendance is down, merchandise sales are down and consolidating, the number of cars on track are down... Stock Car racings glory day are well in the past.

I quit watching every Sunday 3 years ago after one too many TOTAL BS calls by the leadership group. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Time to stop caring.

I used to play the stock car fantasy games every week for the entire season for 10+ years and I always did very well, but I got tired of being pissed off at the stupidity... it was supposed to be fun... but it became a lot of nonsense.

I will tune in when I am flipping channels and it beats watching fishing... but I do not give one fk about the race or who wins... who wins what? the first segment? the second segment? what? Huh... what a bunch of malarkey.

Facts be known, I have not missed being a fan one bit. On the contrary I have enjoyed having my Sundays free to do so many other things... and I really really really do not miss waiting out all the freeking rain delays... geeeeez what a waste of time... not to mention the season is 6 weeks too long.

TL/DR Used to be a huge fan, but I dumped stock car racing like a bag of heavy annoying rocks.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 18, 2018 15:08

Hi Mongoose, I'm a big motor sport fan (and by some means expert and member of a team) but was disappointed (no, that's a word much too harsh!) finding you meant NASCAR by the key word Daytona. Daytona means to me the equivalent to the 24h of Le Mans and the motorcycle speedweek including moto cross.
This doesn't mean that I dislike or rate touring cars to be lower but with a European point of view I have a 'problem' with those ultra high speed in oval racing and with the image of silhouette racing.
Though, in NASCAR, it is NOT the Silhouette that amkes me wonder.
'Enlighten' me but the outward look is rather the same
(we have the same problem in Germany with the DTM and the participating cars of Audi, BMW and Mercedes hardly looking different)
though competing with different engines (even non-American ones, is that correct?).

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: February 18, 2018 15:13

Mongoose
Any NASCAR fans out there among the Stones faithful?

With me, it was genetic. Born in NC, raised in VA, started out a Richard Petty fan, then Dale Earnhardt, then Dale, Jr.

Now, I have to go with Chase Elliott.

Nothing quite like 40 cars at Talladega or Daytona going by you at 200 mph, each of them the volume of Blue Cheer.

"I just feel bad for them boys back in the shop. The Sani-Flush Moonpie Chevy was runnin' good today till we came outta that tunnel turn, and it was Nellie Bar the Door....."

smileys with beer

I grew up in NC as well bit could never get into it. It’s HUGE, that is for sure!

Date: February 19, 2018 01:47

caught the tail end... saw the rich boy who was gifted his ride (over many more talented drivers because of who his grand dad is) dirty driving, crash out Eric Almirola.. and the announcers didnt even talk about it... barley showed... they fear the power of the dirty drivers grand pa... that epitomizes stock car racing these days.

They showed one replay of the dirty driving.... didnt talk about it.

Had it been the other way around .. it would have been... ah... stock car racing is BS... I expect nothing else from them.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 19, 2018 02:25

Been my favorite sport for over 30 years....Alot of young guys coming up this year in Great rides..will be interesting....

Date: February 19, 2018 17:03

Leonioid
caught the tail end... saw the rich boy who was gifted his ride (over many more talented drivers because of who his grand dad is) dirty driving, crash out Eric Almirola.. and the announcers didnt even talk about it... barley showed... they fear the power of the dirty drivers grand pa... that epitomizes stock car racing these days.

Had it been the other way around .. it would have been... ah... stock car racing is BS... I expect nothing else from them.

Agree 100%

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 19, 2018 22:40

Elmo Lewis
Leonioid

Agree 100%

Back in the day I used to say "It is hard to rig things at 180mph"...
but over time I realized they do indeed rig stock car racing, they play favorites, they changed the rules... and changed some more rules... then they changed the race format and more. It is like gerrymandering, all designed to push their "chosen boys" up front and get rid of anyone who doesn't want to play by brian france (and his cronies) rules.

It is "good ole boys" network to the hilt. They allow certain drivers to do anything while if another driver does the same thing they are penalized. Had Eric Almirola dumped rich boy yesterday very different things would have been said. It took 10 years to drive me away (I really did enjoy it) but after a while too much BS is too much.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:05

Will they have driverless nascar too?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2018 04:15

Yeah electric driverless cars .... that'll leave all the guys on the flop ....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 20, 2018 18:52

Leonioid
Elmo Lewis
Leonioid

Agree 100%

but over time I realized they do indeed rig stock car racing, they play favorites, they changed the rules... and changed some more rules... then they changed the race format and more. It is like gerrymandering, all designed to push their "chosen boys" up front and get rid of anyone who doesn't want to play by brian france (and his cronies) rules.

It is "good ole boys" network to the hilt. They allow certain drivers to do anything while if another driver does the same thing they are penalized. Had Eric Almirola dumped rich boy yesterday very different things would have been said. It took 10 years to drive me away (I really did enjoy it) but after a while too much BS is too much.

Most connections with the sainted "Dale, Sr." are given a break - Dale Jr. (whom I call "E minor" - no championships although NASCAR sure tried), Childress, Dillon, etc.

The exception is the other Earnhardt kids (Kerry, Bobby Dale, Jeffery, etc.) - Due to influence of Jr., Childress, or Teresa?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 20, 2018 19:08

Elmo Lewis
Leonioid
Elmo Lewis
Leonioid

Agree 100%

Most connections with the sainted "Dale, Sr." are given a break - Dale Jr. (whom I call "E minor" - no championships although NASCAR sure tried), Childress, Dillon, etc.

The exception is the other Earnhardt kids (Kerry, Bobby Dale, Jeffery, etc.) - Due to influence of Jr., Childress, or Teresa?

When viewing ANY televised sporting event, one must remember 1 important thing: the organizers are attempting to entertain you long enough to convince you to purchase their sponsors goods and services. As long as the advertisers and sponsors are happy, a few lost "customers" isn't going to change anything. If skewing the competition in one direction or another makes the advertisers happier, prepare, as a fan of the "sport", to get "skewed". (Notice how close that word is to "screwed"? No coincidence.)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 20, 2018 19:31

There are so many commercials that I have to DVR it. At some points in the race they literally are going to commercials every 3-5 laps. Even fast forwarding becomes annoying.

Somewhat related, Baseball is trying to find ways to shorten the game but in reality it's the damn commercial breaks. Go to a game that ESPN is broadcasting and you will see how many times the pitcher has already finished his warmup pitches and then he just stands there because the ads are still playing.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 20, 2018 19:51

good race... like the stages and sudden death, also like the camera work.

nearly just bought some NASCAR sunglasses but that ain’t how i roll.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 20, 2018 20:31

nick
There are so many commercials that I have to DVR it. At some points in the race they literally are going to commercials every 3-5 laps. Even fast forwarding becomes annoying.

Somewhat related, Baseball is trying to find ways to shorten the game but in reality it's the damn commercial breaks. Go to a game that ESPN is broadcasting and you will see how many times the pitcher has already finished his warmup pitches and then he just stands there because the ads are still playing.

Same thing at a live basketball or football game... Many times there's an official that's not actually "officiating" the game, just waiting for the cue from the tv producers that the broadcast is back...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 21, 2018 17:48

NASCAR has been socialized i.e. every car and every team has been reduced to the same level of mediocrity. Stages and other gimmicks notwithstanding it's become boring. The Car of Tomorrow introduced 9-10 years ago put the last nail in the coffin. Now it's just a contrived reality show.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen the the Pettys and Yarboroughs and Pearsons and Chargers and Torinos and Montegos of the world race back in the day. Back then the cars were the stars as much as the drivers. Now they're featureless blobs.

Michigan International Speedway where I've attended since 1969 grew massively but in recent years has removed the seating from virtually all of the turns and replaced it with hoity-toity RV parking. The mile of team semis selling souvenirs by the ton has been replaced by a single tent. It's sad, really, but NASCAR became a victim of first their own success and then hubris.

Date: February 21, 2018 18:05

rbk
NASCAR has been socialized i.e. every car and every team has been reduced to the same level of mediocrity. Stages and other gimmicks notwithstanding it's become boring. The Car of Tomorrow introduced 9-10 years ago put the last nail in the coffin. Now it's just a contrived reality show.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen the the Pettys and Yarboroughs and Pearsons and Chargers and Torinos and Montegos of the world race back in the day. Back then the cars were the stars as much as the drivers. Now they're featureless blobs.

Michigan International Speedway where I've attended since 1969 grew massively but in recent years has removed the seating from virtually all of the turns and replaced it with hoity-toity RV parking. The mile of team semis selling souvenirs by the ton has been replaced by a single tent. It's sad, really, but NASCAR became a victim of first their own success and then hubris.

Yes, my first race was 1983! Buddy Baker on the pole. Won by Bennie Parsons. Earnhardt, Sr. in the Wrangler #27 car.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home