Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

John 5 , plays the Keith /Mick Taylor Burst
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 21, 2018 21:12

[www.youtube.com] How in the world does the Hard Rock end up possessing this most famous and iconic Vintage 1958 or 1959 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul that the guy from the Hard Rock said is the Sunburst that Charlie Watts held in his hands on the cover of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out ? Someone please explain this to me because this is one of the most iconic and instantly identifiable Les Paul's in the history of mankind .The Hard Rock guy said it has the infamous snake eyes from the Bigsby Vibrato .I just don't get something with such a pedigree is not in the Stones vault , arsenal or warehouse of vintage guitars like no one else has in the world .The Stones from the time of Brian Jones had the BEST guitars in the world and still do . John 5 is handed the guitar to play and he promptly starts playing Keith's opening riffs to CYHMK ,which he plays it decently .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-21 21:12 by TheGreek.

Re: John 5 , plays the Keith /Mick Taylor Burst
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 21, 2018 22:06

Although they possess the stuff, they may not own the stuff. I read regularly of stuff being donated, loaned, given but not much is ever said about the actual transfer of ownership. Those Hard Rock Cafe's sometimes have a museum-like quality to them. I know I have seen much more cool stuff in various Hard Rock Cafe's than I ever will at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Now... don't get me wrong, when I go to see Exhibitism in Nashville, I'll be wishing the Ya-Ya's guitar was there as opposed to at a Hardrock somewhere.

Also:
This video appeas as up next when playing the one linked above and claims to have John 5 playing Brian Jones' Teardrop Vox in addition to some other iconic guitars including the Ya-Ya's guitar. I wish I could tell you what time the Vox makes it's appearance but I haven't actually watched it and am only going by what's listed in the description.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 21, 2018 22:47

John 5 is a damn good guitarist. He doesn't get much of a chance to show off his chops in Rob Zombie's band, but his solo work is technically impressive.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: February 22, 2018 02:44

Yea, he was crisp on those famous riffs

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 22, 2018 03:42

I would tell John 5 to get his dirty hands off of the sacred guitar dagnammit!

winking smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 22, 2018 04:45

TheGreek
[www.youtube.com] How in the world does the Hard Rock end up possessing this most famous and iconic Vintage 1958 or 1959 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul that the guy from the Hard Rock said is the Sunburst that Charlie Watts held in his hands on the cover of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out ? Someone please explain this to me because this is one of the most iconic and instantly identifiable Les Paul's in the history of mankind .The Hard Rock guy said it has the infamous snake eyes from the Bigsby Vibrato .I just don't get something with such a pedigree is not in the Stones vault , arsenal or warehouse of vintage guitars like no one else has in the world .The Stones from the time of Brian Jones had the BEST guitars in the world and still do . John 5 is handed the guitar to play and he promptly starts playing Keith's opening riffs to CYHMK ,which he plays it decently .

Very cool... thanks for posting!

I dont know a lot about this 5 guy... guess he played with MM and some other bands... seems to get a lot of props over time from here and there... but I have never actually seen him play until this video and I think he does that guitar perfect.

If it was not staged I am very impressed he instantly was able to play the riffs... and he was sufficiently adoring of the guitar/band/heritage and seemed to understand and respect of what he held in his hands... and then it seemed like he put it "his paces" to "test it" out for play ability... and just says WOW! Cool!

Good to know the guitar exists and is still in perfect playing condition.

Probably worth $500,000-$750,000... to a Million Dollars+ these days based on some insane prices I have seen some guitars go for... and this being on the cover is probably worth an extra 1/2 Million to some dude with way too much money in his pockets. Might go for $1,500,000

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 22, 2018 04:48

in passing...
it is too bad those idiots at Gibson destroyed their brand... that is just dumb.

I mean... do what ya want to Epiphone... but hold Gibson sacred above the Dollar.

But... nope...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 04:49 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:41

TheGreek
[www.youtube.com] How in the world does the Hard Rock end up possessing this most famous and iconic Vintage 1958 or 1959 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul that the guy from the Hard Rock said is the Sunburst that Charlie Watts held in his hands on the cover of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out ? Someone please explain this to me because this is one of the most iconic and instantly identifiable Les Paul's in the history of mankind.The Hard Rock guy said it has the infamous snake eyes from the Bigsby Vibrato .I just don't get something with such a pedigree is not in the Stones vault , arsenal or warehouse of vintage guitars like no one else has in the world .The Stones from the time of Brian Jones had the BEST guitars in the world and still do . John 5 is handed the guitar to play and he promptly starts playing Keith's opening riffs to CYHMK ,which he plays it decently .

First, it is not 100% certain this is the guitar from the Ya Ya's cover. Taylor has made several different remarks on how many bursts he actually had during the Mayall days, and Richards had, according to Newman Jones and Jim Barber, half a dozen bursts (one he threw down the stairs by the way).

Taylor had a burst stolen in 1971, and there's another story he sold some guitars in early 1972 to sustain certain habits. Newman Jones stated that he bought two bursts and a '55 Custom for the 1972 tour, one for Taylor and one for Richards. So, it is unsure.

By 1973 Taylor had the two Stones bursts in his possession, favoring the 1959 one over the 1958 one. He held on to them until 1983 or so, that's a bit uncertain, and then he sold them. According to the London guitar store owner he sold them to raise money for a move to Los Angeles to restart his career, other stories are that he needed money for certain habits.

The 1958 has been sold a dozen of times since then, the 1959 is in the hands of the buyer who bought it in the early 80's.

Basically all guitars from the late 1960's to mid 70's are now accounted for, except for the three Dan Armstrong guitars and the ES-330.

Mathijs

Date: February 23, 2018 04:00

mr_dja
Although they possess the stuff, they may not own the stuff. I read regularly of stuff being donated, loaned, given but not much is ever said about the actual transfer of ownership. Those Hard Rock Cafe's sometimes have a museum-like quality to them. I know I have seen much more cool stuff in various Hard Rock Cafe's than I ever will at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Now... don't get me wrong, when I go to see Exhibitism in Nashville, I'll be wishing the Ya-Ya's guitar was there as opposed to at a Hardrock somewhere.

Also:
This video appeas as up next when playing the one linked above and claims to have John 5 playing Brian Jones' Teardrop Vox in addition to some other iconic guitars including the Ya-Ya's guitar. I wish I could tell you what time the Vox makes it's appearance but I haven't actually watched it and am only going by what's listed in the description.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I think he plAYS THE tEARDROP after the Hendrix SG. At some point he broke into some rockabilly chops that were mindblowing. But there's just too many of him out there. The guitars were all breath taking: the Yaya's, Brian's guitar, a Paul Stanley horror piece, Duane Allman's Tele!!, Hendrix SG!, Paul Kossoff's Gibson LP.
My favorite part though was when he pulled out his own Tele, and did that bending thing in Open E; reminded me of a B Bender.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home