Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keith arthritis confession
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 26, 2011 15:22

Do reporters or interviewers ask Keith the question : do you have arthritis? How much has effected your playing? Why the mystery? Not a single word about in his biography about it, nothing, nada.... Keith is now the number 4 greatest guitar player of all time yet nobody dares to ask or find out. What chords are hard for him to play? What's the story? I am sure this topic is old and we will probably never know.

Re: Keith arthritis confession
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 26, 2011 15:32

I think he mentions in his book that it's not as bad as it looks, but Keith is such a bullshitter that you'd need to have a saltshaker handy every time he talks.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 26, 2011 15:33

yes! fer crissakes...he's been asked and he's responded...now, leave the po' boy alone already.

Date: November 26, 2011 15:33

Edith Grove
I think he mentions in his book that it's not as bad as it looks, .

and his playing isn't as bad as it sounds

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 26, 2011 15:54

StonesTod
Edith Grove

:-)

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: November 26, 2011 16:46

StonesTod
Edith Grove

WOW! So now it's the amps fault?

Explain the bum notes, missed intros and general seizure of electrified sound that has been heard.

Date: November 26, 2011 16:52

rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

Explain the bum notes, missed intros and general seizure of electrified sound that has been heard.

well, if you're going to get nit-picky...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-26 16:53 by StonesTod.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 26, 2011 17:02

rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

It´s called rock n roll, ...not heavy metal or sports were people go for perfection and not the feel.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 26, 2011 18:10

What page in the book he wrote this?

Edith Grove
I think he mentions in his book that it's not as bad as it looks, but Keith is such a bullshitter that you'd need to have a saltshaker handy every time he talks.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 26, 2011 18:33

rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

I think this can be attributed to vodka and Sunkist as well as the arthritis. I mean his fingers looked bad way back in 94 and he played well then. Though having huge knuckles certainly can't help matters. And regarding the pain, we only have what he chooses to say about that to go on. It usually hurts.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2011 18:43

I have heard KR talk about it in person. He said "some days are better than others, what are you gonna do?" . There are plenty of cures starting to hit the market and his wife has got him taking a handful of pills (vitamins mostly) that would take me 30 minutes to get down.
By the way, I saw signs of that arthritus in the EARLY 80's on Keith's hands , and e are pictures around that hint at the swollen joints even in the late 70's.
He'll find a way around it if he has to play with his new teeth or his toes! He is a survivor and I'll take whatever he has to dish out, bad notes and all.

Go Keith! peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-26 18:46 by Naturalust.

Date: November 26, 2011 18:49

ummm....no, there are no "cures" for it. i would know if there were, believe me.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: November 26, 2011 18:51

seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

It´s called rock n roll, ...not heavy metal or sports were people go for perfection and not the feel.

I'm so sick of this argument. At what point does it stop being rock and roll and turn into shitty playing?

Date: November 26, 2011 18:53

deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

I'm so sick of this argument. At what point does it stop being rock and roll and turn into shitty playing?

about 3 minutes into sftd....next question?

Date: November 26, 2011 18:54

This subject has been discussed ad nauseum. Keith does have arthritis, regardless of him "admitting" it. It does hamper his playing. It is painful. It's not always painful; alcohol does encourage it to be painful; not doing the same thing over and over again allows it to settle down and stop hurting.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 26, 2011 19:50

Naturalust
I have heard KR talk about it in person. He said "some days are better than others, what are you gonna do?" . There are plenty of cures starting to hit the market and his wife has got him taking a handful of pills (vitamins mostly) that would take me 30 minutes to get down.
By the way, I saw signs of that arthritus in the EARLY 80's on Keith's hands , and e are pictures around that hint at the swollen joints even in the late 70's.
He'll find a way around it if he has to play with his new teeth or his toes! He is a survivor and I'll take whatever he has to dish out, bad notes and all.

Go Keith! peace.

Yeah, and Kurt Cobain loved Pearl Jam too. confused smiley

Date: November 26, 2011 20:08

bustedtrousers
Naturalust

Go Keith! peace.

Yeah, and Kurt Cobain loved Pearl Jam too. confused smiley

No jerk, He loved Eddie Vedder. Don't you have a soap opera to watch or something? seeya! peace.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 26, 2011 20:28

deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

I'm so sick of the argument where good musician is all about technique with nothing else to offer- and what are we suppose to praise him for - for spending hours and hours with the instrument - and still not having anything to say..not one decent @#$%& song. Everyone can practise - it´s a god given talent when you write great songs.

The most important thing about any musician is the song. if you dont have a song - i dont care how well you play total crap. Great ideas done bad - are always better than shitty music performed with note perfection.
Great guitar players with shitty songs - I call that wanking music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-26 20:34 by seitan.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2011 20:34

seitan
deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

I'm so sick of the argument where good musician is all about technique with nothing else to offer- and what are we suppose to praise him for - for spending hours and hours with the instrument - and still not having anything to say..not one decent @#$%& song.The most important thing about any musician is the song. if you dont have a song - i dont care how well you play total crap. Great ideas done bad - are always better than shitty music performed with note perfection.

Bollocks, you don't need a song to be a great player. Now the opposite is terrible.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: November 26, 2011 21:01

You'd think that in 2012, there'd be some sort of virtual reality helmet Richards could put on his head.

The technology would translate his musical thoughts (we're presuming the issue/problem is his fingers here right?) to a specially developed set of cyber-tars that would make the desired sounds.

Or maybe the censors could just be miniaturized enough to be inside the seashells in his hair.

It would sort of be a "Mecha-Keef" -

with the right engineers in place hopefully he wouldn't have to wear a will.i.am space suit or anything that would inhibit or restrict the necessary posing...

Date: November 26, 2011 21:14

Amsterdamned
seitan
deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

I'm so sick of the argument where good musician is all about technique with nothing else to offer- and what are we suppose to praise him for - for spending hours and hours with the instrument - and still not having anything to say..not one decent @#$%& song.The most important thing about any musician is the song. if you dont have a song - i dont care how well you play total crap. Great ideas done bad - are always better than shitty music performed with note perfection.

Bollocks, you don't need a song to be a great player. Now the opposite is terrible.

Really seitan, that is a bit harsh. What about instrumental musicians. People who are writing great music with just their instruments. Does it need a vocal to ring your bell? It's the record industry and our expectations of Stones with MJ's vocal that has you blinded here in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the talent and process of songwriting as you describe. Music, vocal , arrangement, harmony, melody and heart combining in a package that wasn't there the day before. Sweet. But the practice is what makes the songwriter free himself of the burdens of the technicality of what he is doing and allow true creation, the channelled unconscious type. peace.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 26, 2011 21:18

In my very personal opinion, Keith's playing really went downhill after his palm tree fall, and the two seizures he had in the hospital. Ever since, he appears to me like everything around him is moving faster than he can comprehend. He knows the songs he has to play, he knows the chord changes, but it all seems to going a bit too fast for him, like his brain is working a tad too slow. When the song needs an A chord Keith seems to go 'ah, let me see, an A chord, well, uhm, aha, here it is, and A chord'. Meanwhile the band has moved to a D chord.

Mathijs

Date: November 26, 2011 21:23

Mathijs
In my very personal opinion, Keith's playing really went downhill after his palm tree fall, and the two seizures he had in the hospital. Ever since, he appears to me like everything around him is moving faster than he can comprehend. He knows the songs he has to play, he knows the chord changes, but it all seems to going a bit too fast for him, like his brain is working a tad too slow. When the song needs an A chord Keith seems to go 'ah, let me see, an A chord, well, uhm, aha, here it is, and A chord'. Meanwhile the band has moved to a D chord.

Mathijs

god I @#$%& hope not. That is bad news indeed. sad smiley

Date: November 26, 2011 21:25

those problems began before the palm tree incident.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 26, 2011 21:29

deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

When the casual fan that is a non musician begins to see it! Not until!

Date: November 26, 2011 21:30

stonescrow
deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

ok. then now?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 26, 2011 21:40

StonesTod
stonescrow
deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

ok. then now?

I saw them at Qwest in October of '06 toward the end of ABB. I am not a musician. I thought he looked and sounded great, however, a friend of mine who is also not a musician thought he was getting lost at times. So, I don't know. Seemed like the audience was having a great time.

Date: November 26, 2011 21:43

stonescrow
StonesTod
stonescrow
deuce
seitan
rogue
StonesTod
Edith Grove

ok. then now?

I saw them at Qwest in October of '06 toward the end of ABB. I am not a musician. I thought he looked and sounded great, however, a friend of mine who is also not a musician thought he was getting lost at times. So, I don't know. Seemed like the audience was having a great time.

there's no proven correlation between the number of bad notes keith plays and the amount of fun a stones audience has. studies have been done, but to date, no definitive results.

Posted by: johnnyjolene ()
Date: November 26, 2011 22:00

Keith stopped using cocaine after tree accident - he still continued drinking same way and now there wasn't blow anymore to sober/bring him up. I witnessed Stones gig in Helsinki (after tree episode). Keith fell down once, forget main riff of Satisfaction (that sounded really, REALLY bad), He tried to throw pick to audience and almost fly away with pick (Mick amazingly saved him falling of stage). Probably booze worked differently without blow..? I don't know. Whatever. Hope his fine now.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 26, 2011 22:29

Mathijs

Mathijs

I agree that he was struggling post accident, but he probably came back too soon.They haven't played a note together since August 2007. Hopefully he has now fully recovered from his stroke-like symtoms and will only have the physical restrictions of his fingers to deal with.
He played the Saitama gig a couple of weeks before the fall and he was on fire !
I guess a lot is riding on the "jam"

sc uk

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home