Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pics of Keith with two capos in 1978?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 20, 2011 10:31

Do we know for certain that this tele (52?) had five strings? If not theres is the possibility of Keith wanting to use the low E-string on Happy, partial capo on the top five strings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-20 10:33 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 20, 2011 14:42

Redhotcarpet
Do we know for certain that this tele (52?) had five strings? If not theres is the possibility of Keith wanting to use the low E-string on Happy, partial capo on the top five strings.

Five strings, and no.

Mathijs

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 15:50

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 20, 2011 20:00

Redhotcarpet
Tumblin_Dice_07
The one reason I would completely rule out is that the second capo is a partial.

Right, could be the case here but as you said it doesnt make sense when you now how he plays the songs. Partial is not a farfetched theory. Maybe he used it on that tour?

The idea that the higher position capo was a partial capo... Keith isn't that kind of player at all. I'm not at all partial to that theory.

And as to the notion that the first capo is to deaden sympathetic vibrations of the strings near the headstock... If that were the case, the guitar would be having a problem with or without a capo. That small length of string is not even near the pick-ups anyway. So I'm not sympathetic to that theory either.

The buzz here seems to suggest that the likeliest answer is just for tuning / reinforcement purposes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-20 20:01 by schillid.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 03:00

Redhotcarpet
Tumblin_Dice_07
The one reason I would completely rule out is that the second capo is a partial.

Right, could be the case here but as you said it doesnt make sense when you now how he plays the songs. Partial is not a farfetched theory. Maybe he used it on that tour?

Nah,that guitar was in 5 string open G. He played those songs (TD, Happy, JJF, SFM) in open G with a capo at the 4th fret. In '76 they started doing TD and Happy in Bb (3rd fret capo) sometimes but there's no reason to think he would start using a partial capo on "Happy" or JJF in '78 after playing them basically the same way since '72 and '69 in some cases. Besides that, all the audio and visual evidence confirms that Keith was still bashing out those open G riffs the same way, same as he has continued to do.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 21, 2011 03:19

Tumblin_Dice_07
Redhotcarpet
Tumblin_Dice_07

Nah,that guitar was in 5 string open G. He played those songs (TD, Happy, JJF, SFM) in open G with a capo at the 4th fret. In '76 they started doing TD and Happy in Bb (3rd fret capo) sometimes but there's no reason to think he would start using a partial capo on "Happy" or JJF in '78 after playing them basically the same way since '72 and '69 in some cases. Besides that, all the audio and visual evidence confirms that Keith was still bashing out those open G riffs the same way, same as he has continued to do.

Yes I know that just thinking out loud. Maybe he made up his mind about playing Happy in Bb or B onstage? His voice was really shot in 1978.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home