Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pics of Keith with two capos in 1978?
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 24, 2011 17:56

Anybody know where I can find some pictures of Keith with two capos on his Tele playing Jumpin Jack Flash in 1978? He must have been bashing those string!

Re: Pics of Keith with two capos in 1978?
Date: November 24, 2011 18:17

why two capos? only one of 'em can do anything

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 24, 2011 20:05

pinkfloydthebarber

The second capo is to mute the unwanted sympathetic drone behind the capoed frets
it doesn't have anything to do with bashing those string!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 24, 2011 20:39

open-g

The second capo is to mute the unwanted sympathetic drone behind the capoed frets

I've played for 32 years and never knew this...thanks!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 24, 2011 20:49

okay, never mind!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 11:02 by with sssoul.

Date: November 24, 2011 20:52

:E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 11:02 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 24, 2011 21:01

open-g
pinkfloydthebarber

Now I've heard everything. To be sure, to be sure!

Posted by: MagicYear73 ()
Date: November 24, 2011 21:39

I thought this would be a thread about Keith as a connected guy. But it turned out to be just about guitars...

Date: November 24, 2011 21:49

*The second capo is to mute the unwanted sympathetic drone behind the capoed frets
it doesn't have anything to do with bashing those string!*

- are you saying the second capo is just a string dampener and not really holding the strings all the way down? -

Keith : Are TWO CAPOS Better Than One?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 18, 2011 08:28

Watching the Some Girls in Texas DVD... I thought I saw 2 capos on Keith's guitar? JJF I think.

Interesting... I wonder what the reason is.
Maybe it helps getting or keeping the guitar in tune or the intonation??

Re: Keith : Are TWO CAPOS Better Than One?
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 09:11

I won't see this movie until Christmas, but I imagine one of them was probably a partial capo. People will often use one full capo, then another one to capo another few strings. I don't know though.

Date: December 18, 2011 09:31

[www.iorr.org] ... happy reading!

Date: December 18, 2011 09:40

thanks sssoul... interesting

Date: December 18, 2011 10:10

- Anaheim, july 1978 by Bob Gruen

was the Shoe Show the 23rd or the 24th??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 10:53 by with sssoul.

Date: December 18, 2011 10:46

Is Keith playing slide here?
One capo to shorten the neck, the second for a new voicing ?
I myself have done just that; but I have also used two capos (esp, those older types) just to get extra hold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 11:20 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 18:27

Palace Revolution 2000
I myself have done just that; but I have also used two capos (esp, those older types) just to get extra hold.

Yes he's playing slide which means he was playing "Happy". I don't think he was using the second capo for another voicing. It was probably just that extra reinforcement. It's worth noting I think that Keith usually played several songs ("Happy", "Tumbling Dice", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man", Rip This Joint", etc) in open G capoed at the 4th fret which made the live versions of those songs in the key of B. By at least 1976 they had started playing some songs in the of Bb with Keith capoed at the 3rd fret ("Tumbling Dice" from Love You Live is in Bb, so is the version from Live In Texas as well as "Happy"). It's my guess that on the '78 tour, Keith might have kept a capo on the 3rd fret of one of his Tele's for the songs in Bb. When they played "Jumping Jack Flash" or any other song they wanted to do in B, he would just add another capo on the 4th fret. Just a guess.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 18, 2011 18:40

Two is always better then one......... because

Maybe I shouldn't make to much jokes and leave this one to ST

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 18, 2011 19:15

Tumblin_Dice_07
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes he's playing slide which means he was playing "Happy". I don't think he was using the second capo for another voicing. It was probably just that extra reinforcement. It's worth noting I think that Keith usually played several songs ("Happy", "Tumbling Dice", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Street Fighting Man", Rip This Joint", etc) in open G capoed at the 4th fret which made the live versions of those songs in the key of B. By at least 1976 they had started playing some songs in the of Bb with Keith capoed at the 3rd fret ("Tumbling Dice" from Love You Live is in Bb, so is the version from Live In Texas as well as "Happy"). It's my guess that on the '78 tour, Keith might have kept a capo on the 3rd fret of one of his Tele's for the songs in Bb. When they played "Jumping Jack Flash" or any other song they wanted to do in B, he would just add another capo on the 4th fret. Just a guess.

Yes, agreed, I dont think it has much to do with tonality or re-inforcement...it's all about being able to whip one of and have another ready for the next ope G song. This could be pretty much solved if anyone knows what he is playing in that photo and then check the set list for what song comes next. My money is on he is playing Happy in the photo...but what is the next song in the set list?

Date: December 18, 2011 21:06

crumbling_mice
but what is the next song in the set list?

... Happy/Sweet Little Sixteen/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash
( [www.nzentgraf.de] is the site you want to check things like that)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 18, 2011 21:33

My first thought too. Different songs different frets.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 21:55

I don't think it has to do with one song being capo'd on the third fret and the next on the second. I would take all of 1 second to move the capo from the 3rd to 2nd fret. Just about as long as it would take to remove the one on the 3rd fret in the first place. Either it's for, as somebody else said, dampening the strings or something (I've never tried it, so don't know if that works) or some other trick, or one of the capos is a partial capo. Or maybe it is because the next song is on the 2nd fret, and Keith's guitar tech didn't trust Keith to remember where to put the capo, so they set it up ahead of time. Who knows.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 18, 2011 22:06

S&M Guide, Chapter 39, Guitar Bondage

Date: December 19, 2011 00:26

NoCode0680
I don't think it has to do with one song being capo'd on the third fret and the next on the second. I would take all of 1 second to move the capo from the 3rd to 2nd fret. Just about as long as it would take to remove the one on the 3rd fret in the first place. Either it's for, as somebody else said, dampening the strings or something (I've never tried it, so don't know if that works) or some other trick, or one of the capos is a partial capo. Or maybe it is because the next song is on the 2nd fret, and Keith's guitar tech didn't trust Keith to remember where to put the capo, so they set it up ahead of time. Who knows.

I had guessed that it had to do with getting the guitar in perfect tune at the upper capo position and holding the tuning...
Tune the instrument with just the first (lower fret) capo, then add a 2nd capo at the higher to fine-tune.

(Hello, Mathijs?)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 19, 2011 00:51

I just guessed that it had to do that he didn't want to lose his spare capo ...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-19 10:48 by NICOS.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 19, 2011 03:31

Tumblin_Dice_07
Palace Revolution 2000

I don't have the Texas DVD yet (Christmas present), but what is Keith using on JJF? At the Anaheim show, I think he used a Ted Newman Jones black model for JJF. The Zematis was used on Brown Sugar. As for 2 capos, it's gotta be for reinfocement 'cause there's no song in the list in the key of A. I'm sure he had more than one Tele available on that tour. Is that the same one he used on ADTL and HTW on that tour? And I'm sure his guitar tech had more than two capos available. Although that type of capo was the standard back then, they were pretty unrelaible and you had to fuss with them a lot, until some better ones came along. If you just put a capo on nonchalantly, you can put your guitar out of tune.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 19, 2011 12:00

tomk
As for 2 capos, it's gotta be for reinfocement 'cause there's no song in the list in the key of A. I'm sure he had more than one Tele available on that tour. Is that the same one he used on ADTL and HTW on that tour? And I'm sure his guitar tech had more than two capos available. Although that type of capo was the standard back then, they were pretty unrelaible and you had to fuss with them a lot, until some better ones came along. If you just put a capo on nonchalantly, you can put your guitar out of tune.

Makes sense to me. Those old elastic type Capos don't offer very fine adjustment to optimise the balance bwtween firmly fretting the strings & intonation.

The Shubb capos keith uses today have precise tension adjustment via a thumb wheel and are available in a varient to match the 7" vintage Fender fretboard radius.

Posted by: tmaarud ()
Date: December 19, 2011 12:20

I did this myself back in the day when i couldn't afford a reliable capo. I went with the elastic Dunlop because i saw Keith using one on the LSTNT VHS, and thought it looket mighty cool.

When i realised it was totally unreliable, crappy to the bone with top and bottom strings always buzzing i told my parents i had lost it and wished for a new one for christmas...so i got two.

From then, until i got myself a Kyser, and then a Shubb i always used two dunlop elastics. Some of the early Dunlop capos were way to straight for the curved fretboard of a vintage telecaster, and they often worked better on some acoustics with flatter fretboards.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 19, 2011 12:22

I think the one and only reason is that with most capos it can be quite iffy to fret a 5 string open G tuning, and especially the high E string can sound out of tune and muted. I guess the trick with two capos just worked for him. Today, with Shupp capos this is all solved.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 02:29

The one reason I would completely rule out is that the second capo is a partial. I don't think that's the case. I know how Keith played those songs live (I'm sure others will agree) and he didn't use a partial capo on any of them to my knowledge.

I noticed on the dvd, he used one capo most of the time. I'm thinking that possibly he left the capo on at the third fret (key of A# where "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy" were sometimes played on the '76 and '78 tours) and added another one when he needed to go to the key of B. If the capo's weren't that dependable, then he didn't wanna mess with having to move them, which would mean losing and re-gaining the grip and sometimes retuning. Maybe he thought this would help. I dunno. Just a guess.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 20, 2011 10:29

Tumblin_Dice_07
The one reason I would completely rule out is that the second capo is a partial.

Right, could be the case here but as you said it doesnt make sense when you now how he plays the songs. Partial is not a farfetched theory. Maybe he used it on that tour?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home