Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Girls know that the Cotton Bowl is in Dallas, not Ft. Worth
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:41

The liner notes from the Some Girls DVD are well written and researched with one exception. The Cotton Bowl is in Dallas, not Ft. Worth. C'mon James Karnbach...do try Wikipedia!

/Rant from Ft Worth resident. eye popping smiley

Re: Some Girls know that the Cotton Bowl is in Dallas, not Ft. Worth
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:43

punkfloyd
The liner notes from the Some Girls DVD are well written and researched with one exception. The Cotton Bowl is in Dallas, not Ft. Worth. C'mon James Karnbach...do try Wikipedia!

it's all a part of the greater dfw area....close enough.

Date: November 23, 2011 17:04

Ha. You underestimate the animosity between the Ft Worth and Dallas!

Date: November 23, 2011 17:15

punkfloyd

Well written is a stretch.

Right after that geographical flub he says 'The S.E.A.T. tour ('Seventy Eight American Tour)...' and says it again three paragraphs later.

"Of the new songs the best known at the time was, 'Miss You', having been released as a single in May...' is just bad writing and no editing/quality control there.

And there was one more but I can't find it at this time. A lot of run ons as well.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:15

punkfloyd

Would it make you happy if we start calling it Ft. Worth-Dallas ?

Date: November 23, 2011 17:21

punkfloyd

my guess is that the animosity rests mostly on the FW side...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 23, 2011 18:27

StonesTod
punkfloyd

I think that's one of your more accurate guesses!

Date: November 23, 2011 18:32

Munichhilton
StonesTod
punkfloyd

sorta like the rivalry/feud between LA and SF. they don't even realize it exists in LA.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 23, 2011 18:36

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
punkfloyd

sorta like the rivalry/feud between LA and SF. they don't even realize it exists in LA.

In California its bigger than cities.
Thats a regional NorCal - SoCal thing, and if not for the Raiders going back and forth like a drunk prom date I would agree with you...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 18:58

I didn't even know there were concerts of any kind there until a year or so ago when I saw the Stones "Texas Rangers: Live At The Cotton Bowl" bootleg. I still don't know why the Stones played there instead of the Starplex next door (which was specifically built for concerts) as it was a year old at that time. I guess the Stones insisted on playing in a stadium.

I had never heard of anything going on at the Cotton Bowl except for the Cotton Bowl Classic.

I was talking to a lady the other day and she was telling me that back in the 60's and 70's that Fort Worth got all the concerts. 9 times out of 10 when a band came to the DFW area the venue would be in Ft. Worth. Then when Reunion Arena opened 1980 and the Starplex in 1988 most concerts moved to Dallas. The only concert I've seen in Ft. Worth was the Stones at the Texas Motor Speedway. Every other concert I've been to was in Dallas.

Maybe people are so used to the Stones playing Ft. Worth (as they were oft to do) that the guy writing the liner notes just assumed the Cotton Bowl was in Ft. Worth.

Date: November 23, 2011 20:00

OK, when you fly into town, tell your taxi driver you want to go to the Cotton Bowl in Ft Worth.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 23, 2011 20:33

Yeah, its really a touchy subject if you live in the area. Dallas is like the stuck up good looking girl that gets all the attention while Ft Worth is the girl thats more fun to hang out with. And as stated above back until the early 80s Tarrant County Convention Center was THE place for concerts in North Texas. Alot of the big names might also play Dallas but usually not as a first choice. The exception would be the "Texas Jams" that were at the Cotton Bowl and I cant remember if it was ever at Texas Stadium? Of course the Stones did play the Cotton Bowl in 75..I like the way my friend Tommy Womack stated it when talking about the difference between Austin and Dallas."Austin has more music that it knows what to do with and Dallas doesnt know what to do with the music it's got."

Date: November 23, 2011 22:20

Dallas has Tony Romo. That pretty much describes Dallas right there ha ha.

Date: November 23, 2011 22:45

Well, actually Arlington does as thats where the new Cowboys Stadium is unless you want to count the practice facility which isnt in Dallas either...

Date: November 23, 2011 22:46

Dammit! That's right. The Dallas Cowboys don't actually play in Dallas. But isn't it all the same after a while? Arlington, Fort Worth - isn't it all like Houston - one big slab of concrete?

Date: November 24, 2011 19:18

Well, not exactly. For instance I lived in Arlington for years and you could be in FW in 10 minutes but its about 30 miles to Dallas.I know that doesnt seem like much. You know, the musicians I've talked to said they enjoy the atmosphere and people of FW alot better but promoters feel Dallas is the the "hip" place to book. I'm not saying I know alot of touring artists but thats just based on the few I do know....

Date: November 24, 2011 19:49

What about the Cotton Bowl? Didn't the Stones in '78 play at the Will Rogers Memorial Center, anyway?

Posted by: atip ()
Date: November 24, 2011 22:40

StonesTod
punkfloyd

it's all a part of the greater dfw area....close enough.

For the Brits, is Manchester the same as Liverpool, more or less? Doubt it. I'm with you, punkfloyd, although maybe we can call FTW vs. DAL a friendly rivalry instead of animosity.

Date: November 25, 2011 00:53

pinkfloydthebarber
What about the Cotton Bowl? Didn't the Stones in '78 play at the Will Rogers Memorial Center, anyway?

Well, technically they played Will Rogers Auditorium that is just part of the Memorial Center but the liner notes refer to the stones playing the Cotton Bowl in Ft Worth three yrs later which is also inaccurate since its in Dallas and I DO mean in Dallas ( you cant get much more in Dallas than the Cotton Bowl haha)

Date: November 25, 2011 01:42

*technically they played Will Rogers Auditorium that is just part of the Memorial Center but the liner notes refer to the stones playing the Cotton Bowl in Ft Worth three yrs later which is also inaccurate since its in Dallas and I DO mean in Dallas*

- ok; thanks for the info

I can't read the dvd liner notes because the printing is so damn SMALL

Date: November 25, 2011 02:47

I hear ya-I damn near had to get a magnifying glass myself...

Date: November 25, 2011 02:49

BTW, growing up in Arlington, the Cotton Bowl and the Will Rogers were both magical places for me...since the Stones rocked there. The Texas Motor Speedway, not so much.

Date: November 25, 2011 03:57

I always liked Will Rogers. I saw J. Geils Band there and right after the first Van Halen lp was released(the only one by them I ever bought) I saw VH, Ronnie Montrose and Journey on one tkt in that order. I left when Journey came on-never did like them. I LOVED Tarrant County Convention Center-saw Ike & Tina (front row-72 0r 73), Ten Years After, Nugent,Pink Floyd,ZZ Top twice,Foghat,Aerosmith,Dylan,
King Crimson,Point Blank oh yeah Stones-those were the days....others I probably cant remember

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home