Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ollie Brown question
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 1, 2017 17:42

How did Ollie not throw off Charlie's timing on those two tours? Being right behind him playing counter rhythms and all kinds of other stuff on every song, would it not have been a distraction to Watts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-01 19:07 by hbwriter.

Re: Ollie Brown question
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 1, 2017 17:46

through off?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 1, 2017 17:56

Charlie's had PLENTY of onstage distractions over the years...
I'm sure he was already used to it!
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 1, 2017 18:12

we may never know but I would think in rehearsals that aspect was worked out.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 1, 2017 18:55

It's called the ancient art of drum weaving.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 1, 2017 19:07

RoughJusticeOnYa
through off?

sorry- typo - fixed - "throw"

Date: June 1, 2017 19:14

I can only imagine that Ollie's contribution made Charlie play even better.
Had Ollie been a lousy player, and his tempos dragged or varied, then it would rattle the drummer.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 1, 2017 20:01

If Charlie can cope with Keith playing with the timing over all those years...

...I'm sure he could handle Ollie Brown in his sleep winking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 1, 2017 21:17

maybe the question is how much did Keith and Charlie throw Ollie Brown off.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2017 23:57

Chet Flippo wrote in his book that during the final Baton Rouge rehearsals he saw Cholie crush Billy Preston's attempts at changing the band's sound.

So I guess Ollie was even easier to defeat. Maybe Brown didn't even try to add his thing to the Stones' sound and went with the flow...?

Quote : "Preston got the message and turned into a Sammy Davis Jr.-like foil for Mick on the tour" grinning smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 2, 2017 00:06

well Ollie is so skilled and dead-on responsive and complementary. I think in a way it might have even solidified and supported Charlies big two four thump, and his wonderful punctuation fills...maybe so? I wonder if Charlie's talked about it but writer, maybe it was even more stable support Charlie could work off of, even as Ollie worked off and around the beat with that grand stuff. ? dunno for sure but putting it out there...

haha koen; 'ancient art of drum weaving' grinning smiley
tend to agree w palacerevolution2000. should've read ALL the posts b4 i threw my two cents in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-02 03:56 by hopkins.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 2, 2017 01:53

They could play anything back then and Bill would simply wrap his bass lines around the mess and give it form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 21:10 by 24FPS.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 2, 2017 07:26

Ollie would also take the kit for the Billy Preston numbers if I remember correctly.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 2, 2017 17:08

Another important thing to remember is even though Ollie was playing "counter rhythms" I'm pretty sure he wasn't playing complex polyrhythms across bar lines. I'm no expert on the bootlegs but, as I've never heard examples of cross bar polyrhythms or seen them discussed anywhere in regards to the Stones or their work with Ollie. If that HAD happened, I'm pretty sure it would have been discussed.

If everyone's playing in the same meter and at the same tempo, a counter rhythm is really nothing more than someone playing where others aren't. Can it be confusing or distracting sometimes? Sure. But professional musicians everywhere have learned how not to listen to what they need to avoid while simultaneously listening to what they do need to hear all while still being able to hear everything.

I imagine that if Ollie were ever to become a distraction for Charlie that Charlie was readily able to "tune him out" regardless of their proximity on stage. Just think about all the times Charlie must have had a WTF moment on stage with something that one of his bandmates did on stage. Yet every time, he just kept driving the bus until everyone got back on the stage. When you're playing in a band like the Stones (at that time) that could change things musically at any moment, your ears get on a swivel quickly. Believe me, I've been on stage with bandmates who have ventured well off into "the musical abyss" causing me first to say "WTF?" followed quickly by "just ignore him. Where's the drummer? Lock in, it'll be OK".

Charlie and Ollie were pros who were playing with each other. As much as it may seem that it could be confusing, it's really just a new conversation. One that can be ignored if necessary.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 3, 2017 11:56

Charlie's drumming style did change on the 1975 tour, he became more loose, playing constant fills and hardly playing a straight beat for more than 4 bars. Listen to IORR from LA Friday, he plays constant back and down beats, and fantastic snare fills all over. He played quite the same on the 1978 tour, but went back to a more straight style on the 1981 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: June 3, 2017 15:52

Mathijs
Charlie's drumming style did change on the 1975 tour, he became more loose, playing constant fills and hardly playing a straight beat for more than 4 bars. Listen to IORR from LA Friday, he plays constant back and down beats, and fantastic snare fills all over. He played quite the same on the 1978 tour, but went back to a more straight style on the 1981 tour.

Mathijs

Yep, his drumming on LA Friday is one of the reasons it's my favourite of the Vaults series.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 3, 2017 17:10

hbwriter
How did Ollie not throw off Charlie's timing on those two tours? Being right behind him playing counter rhythms and all kinds of other stuff on every song, would it not have been a distraction to Watts?

He's supposed to still be in the real estate business here in L.A. Look him up and ask him in an interview.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 4, 2017 05:29

I wonder if Charlie ever asked "Why is Ollie even here?" How did Ollie join?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-04 05:30 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 4, 2017 09:03

More Hot Rocks
How did Ollie join?

"The Stones first met Detroit-born percussionist Ollie Brown when he was playing with Stevie Wonder during their 1972 North American Tour. He followed that up with work with The Temptations. By the mid-70s, Brown had been recruited by Billy Preston for his solo albums, and he joined Preston both for the Stones' Black and Blue sessions on which he contributed, and for the following 1975-76 world tour. (He appears on Love You Live.) After his stint with the Stones, in the late '70s and '80s Brown recorded with artists such as Eric Carmen, Diana Ross, the Jacksons, Blondie, the Pointer Sisters, Van Morrison, Ray Parker Jr. and Michael Jackson."

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 28, 2018 04:38

I stole this from Shidoobee.
‘Luxury’ 1975
Ollie Brown/ thanks for good info IORR
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2018 21:12

I don't think Charlie would have put up with any problems Ollie could have caused. Charlie looks to be enjoying himself. I don't think there's any questions at all. Ollie filled a space in time, the Stones outlive that time and re-invented themselves for the '78 tour and album. They did it all the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home