Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Some Girls 78 DVD- just my opinion
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:16

Well, I just finished watching it.I was there at the concert and it was even better than I remember it! Two things that jump out at me.How much better the Stones were playing than the tour 3 years later and I really miss them. I realize maybe they need the "Rolling Stones Company" to perform now(its been 30+years after all) but this is what I miss, Just the band and a couple or so side guys. Ron and Keith supplying whatever b/u vocals there are...but THE STONES, raunchy with warts and all!.Not meant to start an argument, just one person's thought but this makes me feel sad for anyone that didnt get to see these guys live prior to 82. This is whats its all about!

Re: Some Girls 78 DVD- just my opinion
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:26

scottkeef
this makes me feel sad for anyone that didnt get to see these guys live prior to 82. This is whats its all about!

No need to be sad for us.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:36

scottkeef
Well, I just finished watching it.I was there at the concert and it was even better than I remember it! Two things that jump out at me.How much better the Stones were playing than the tour 3 years later and I really miss them. I realize maybe they need the "Rolling Stones Company" to perform now(its been 30+years after all) but this is what I miss, Just the band and a couple or so side guys. Ron and Keith supplying whatever b/u vocals there are...but THE STONES, raunchy with warts and all!.Not meant to start an argument, just one person's thought but this makes me feel sad for anyone that didnt get to see these guys live prior to 82. This is whats its all about!

This might be why the vaults are open.

Date: November 22, 2011 05:37

Let's hope so!! (I mean lets hope the vaults will continue to open)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-22 05:40 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2011 05:45

me feel sad for anyone that didnt get to see these guys live prior to 82

........ please send half-a-dozen embroidered hankies and a couple of those Chinese stress balls

ROCKMAN

Date: November 22, 2011 05:58

OK..OK...I feel BAD for ya then! Didnt mean to go all John Boehner on you guys!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:01

........nuffin' wrong with a good tan ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 06:13

Don't feel bad for me, I first saw them in '97 and loved it to death, regardless of what may have been in the past. Even if I'd seen them for the first time in '78 (would have been difficult as I was still 2 years away from birth) there would be somebody sorry for me as I hadn't seen them in '72, and for the person who saw them in '72 somebody feeling sorry for them on account of not seeing them in the 60's.

It would have been cool to see them in '78 or '72, but hey, there's a DVD of it, so it's not like I can't see for myself what it was like. It's not like we rely on the village elders to gather 'round the campfire and tell us about the "old days" of the Stones. We have home videos and live albums. I'm happy as a clam to have ever seen the Stones, regardless of when.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:32

Just finished watching it in glorious 5.1 surround sound. Beautiful. The DVD is simply unbelievable. Something like this shelved for 30 years? Blasphemous. The band is on all cylinders and I gotta say while Mick is just a complete maniac throughout the show, Charlie steals the show for me. His playing is top notch. Ronnie is right up front in the mix and he captures your ear on every solo he takes.

All in all...it puts a smile on your face.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 12:40

Justin
Just finished watching it in glorious 5.1 surround sound. Beautiful. The DVD is simply unbelievable. Something like this shelved for 30 years? Blasphemous. The band is on all cylinders and I gotta say while Mick is just a complete maniac throughout the show, Charlie steals the show for me. His playing is top notch. Ronnie is right up front in the mix and he captures your ear on every solo he takes.

All in all...it puts a smile on your face.

Agree absolutely; it is just a stunning concert - shot magnificently, the band on fiery form - Charlie is amazing, Ronnie and Keef's guitars perfect (Ronnie's solos are brilliant). Mick - what can I say, great form!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 22, 2011 12:43

I've actually yet to see the DVD
It didn't run at the cinema where I live; so I bought the DVD - packaged it in christmas-wrappings; to myself - and will open it for christmas.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 22, 2011 12:46

I do not think that they played that bad in 1982 (much, much better than in 1976, actually!). It was still a great concert, highlighted by songs like Start me up (their current hit back then), Time is on my side, Let it bleed, and many others. And it was the last tour before the Vegas years, the Stones were still legendary and a real live band.

Date: November 22, 2011 12:47

Erik_Snow
It didn't run at the cinema where I live; so I bought the DVD - packaged it in christmas-wrappings; to myself - and will open it for christmas.

thumbs up

You have that kind of patience? Wow, impressing! grinning smiley

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 22, 2011 13:05

Just received Live In Texas Blu Ray/CD (I'm in Ireland).

Haven't opened the packet yet - don't feel I'm worthy!

All I've seen of this concert is the trailer. It's gonna rule.

Date: November 22, 2011 13:10

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

thumbs up

You have that kind of patience? Wow, impressing! grinning smiley

So far so good, anyway....! grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-22 13:18 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 22, 2011 15:02

I saw two shows in '78: Philly stadium, and Cleveland stadium. Both were kinda ragged and not-so-good.

The big difference nowadays is the consistency of the performances. In 78 (and probably 81/82 as well), it was somewhat hit-or-miss with what kind of show you got. All the 90s-00s shows I've seen have been remarkably consistent in the level of performance. Sometimes the "Vegas" years get criticized for being the same old thing, but in 78 I would have welcomed seeing the kind of show I hear on the Handsome Girls boot, or will-see on the Texas DVD.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 22, 2011 16:44

Looking at the back cover of the Live In Texas Blu Ray and it's in 1080i HD (not 1080p). What the heck?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 22, 2011 17:16

Erik_Snow

You, sir, are going to have a VERY Merry Christmas!!!

Date: November 22, 2011 17:49

Hey, everyone feels that when they "discovered" the Stones is the best era and I can understand that. But those that know....well they know...and its fantastic that we have these dvds. Like I said ,the music is even better than I remember it but NO WAY video is like being there!

Date: November 22, 2011 17:53

loog droog
Erik_Snow

THanks - and yes...that was my plan ! Christmas can't fail with this card up my sleeve

Date: November 22, 2011 18:19

Hey, Erik, dont let my enthusiasm influence your ability to wait!! But, man oh man!!!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 22, 2011 18:31

I think one strength of the show is they're all in a closed space with each other so it feels like a band. And that's why I loved them at the Joint in Las Vegas on the 40 Licks tour (club date with 1,100 in the audience). They were in a small space and that same feeling came across. So I wouldn't agree with the "post-82" stuff. But then, I must say, I do like Mick running out on the long wings and the B-stage, so both stagings have their strengths, in my humble opinion....

P.S. What's Mick doing to Woody's willy during Tumblnig Dice?

Date: November 22, 2011 18:37

Like you said, Mick does seem fascinated with Willy's woody..uh,I mean Woody's willy!! ;-)

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: November 22, 2011 18:43

Erik_Snow
loog droog
Erik_Snow

THanks - and yes...that was my plan ! Christmas can't fail with this card up my sleeve

Oow man, you must be a very lonely guy? Anyway, enjoy (have a great X-mas also)!

Date: November 22, 2011 19:09

keefbajaga
Erik_Snow
loog droog
Erik_Snow

Oow man, you must be a very lonely guy? Anyway, enjoy (have a great X-mas also)!

I wouldn't say that; no; but most christmas presents is quite dull to be honest

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 22, 2011 19:12

Erik_Snow
but most christmas presents is quite dull to be honest

It's better to give than receive. (in some cases)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2011 19:23

The Sicilian
Erik_Snow
but most christmas presents is quite dull to be honest

It's better to give than receive. (in some cases)

well said...sort of

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 22, 2011 20:11

scottkeef

My immediate thought on watching it, is how the Stones by 78, very much seemed like Jagger's band. Not that each of the Stones didn't have a crucial part to play in the greatness of the performance, because they were all so fully focused, yet by 78, the Stones very much seemed like Jagger's vision, certainly in terms of their reinvention, with the stripped down sound, and raw spirit. This concert for me very much marks Jagger's genius, in having the foresight, to find a contemporary niche for the Stones to exist in. It was perhaps Jagger's first, and arguably his most successful attempt at a form of reinvention, the first time also after the Stones had actually in recent years, came to be seen as irrelevant, and perhaps, dinosaurs, by those young pretenders, who's generation, had grown up post the sixties, and all that decade represented. Jagger, here, i believe, is the master, with his more contemporarily edged persona, his more lean, punk spirited demeanour, and his complete change in terms of his physical prowess on stage. He's certainly not recycling anything from those 75-76 tours. Jagger may have been approaching middle age, but he was still young enough to be able to pull of these changes convincingly. Vocally, also, he seemed so incredibly powerful, and there are times during this concert where his voice seems to find even greater strength and vitality, than was evident previously. Musically, this show marks one of the final times the Stones would perform, and live up to their title of 'the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world'. In retrospect, perhaps, the performance may not quite live up to the best of the Stones previous eras, in terms of appearing enduring, because its source may have been that little more limiting, yet there's no denying the group on this evidence were red hot. Much better too than the Stones 81-82 world tour, which shared many of the same elements, but was more sloppily executed.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 22, 2011 20:52

Nice post Edward. I agree that there is a certain electricity here that seem to surpass what they did on 81 and beyond. There's a frantic element like the train is going to run off track at any moment here.

One of my favorite moments on the DVD is watching Mick and Keith share singing duties on "Happy." The song is going a hundred miles an hour and Mick and Keith both jump on and off the mic at every turn. Watching it you can't help but feel that one of them is going to miss their cue, or come in too late, or too early...but not one flub. They were so damn in tune to the song and more importantly themselves. It's one of the best examples of the "one-ness" the band used to be. They looked and sounded like a unit, working together. A four headed monster.

Date: November 22, 2011 21:21

Yeah! What you said, Edward! ;-)

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home