Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

50th anniversary of '68-'72 "Golden period"
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 15, 2018 22:07

The four years when they peaked. Do you think they'll be cool things coming out because of the anniversaries, or has it all been mined to death already? Probably the latter...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 22:07 by Send It To me.

Re: 50th anniversary of '68-'72 "Golden period"
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 15, 2018 22:38

Can't predict; but the Corp is Very heavy into marketing.
I'd not criticize this either if there were to be a huzzah
about Banquet or Bleed, as they, to me, are truly honestly 'classic' albums
in the entire genre, which is a huge, huge accomplishment.
Sometimes, tho rarely cause I've heard so many several dozens of Livce shows with interest...keeping track of them and following them etc...
...but sometimes, like om the radio when it's a surprise, or even at home when I haven't heard the orignal studio versions of the Warhorse brigade for awhile; live versions from dif decades for a rush; but sometimes I forego the original studio recodings of those general Warhorse A and B lists....
.......well, sometimes, rarely, i can hear them FREsH, not tainted by my past experiences, or old stories or memories or any degree of nostalgia at all;
and just finally 'hear' anew, the impact of studio SFTD or others...and it's just impeccable and brilliant. I love ALL of Banquet and Bleed, as well as the following two (and more than that but we're talking that specific period here)....
....i would guess they Would try to do at least some acknowledgment that involves marketing; gosh i dunno what's hidden in the can they could bait a re-release, (ala 'plundered' etc.. on the EOMS re-issue re-master re-market)...
That would be ""IF"" one is even being considered for those two LPs...I imagine it's crossed someones mind at whichever Record Company might control those number. THAT i do NOT know about; cause they went from Klein to Rolling Stones Records on Sticky, so I'm not sure who really controls Banquet and Bleed catalog for marketing, other than whatever say The Stones might have negotiated over the years....but....
...well, I'd think it would be a marketing opportunity they couldn't resist at this point?

Also, it would be just great if the radio would play nothing other than those two albums for a week or two world-wide, just to give the devil his due so to speak. winking smiley
Well, gosh, there went a half century. whoa...
seems like a few months ago.
I got to get out more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 22:43 by hopkins.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 15, 2018 22:38

There is a new AM oldies station in LA, and I like to listen to it in the car because hit songs from the 60's have that sound again...no stereo and flat...but BIG somehow. I was telling my wife that I heard "Expressway To Your Heart" on that station, and it just seemed more exciting than the version we have on CD, like that--on AM radio-- was the way it was meant to be heard.

Same thing happened with "Jumpin' Jack Flash." It fires like a cannon. The opening shot... that was heard 'round the world... that The Stones were back!

And most people 50 years ago didn't have big sound systems, they heard it on record players or tiny transistor radios. Listen to a mono version on crappy speakers if you can.

It still kicks ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 22:39 by loog droog.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 15, 2018 22:43

They did Satanic 50th last year, BB should get some love in 2018. Let's see what they can unearth for us.....>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 15, 2018 23:17

NB4 100 pages of blah blah blah

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 15, 2018 23:23

I'm pretty sure there will be some releases including outtakes.
Otherwise they'll lose the copyright of all the stuff that was recorded more then 50 years ago but not being commercially used during this period of time. No kiddin' – it's the European copyright law.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 15, 2018 23:47

loog droog
There is a new AM oldies station in LA, and I like to listen to it in the car because hit songs from the 60's have that sound again...no stereo and flat...but BIG somehow. I was telling my wife that I heard "Expressway To Your Heart" on that station, and it just seemed more exciting than the version we have on CD, like that--on AM radio-- was the way it was meant to be heard.

Same thing happened with "Jumpin' Jack Flash." It fires like a cannon. The opening shot... that was heard 'round the world... that The Stones were back!

And most people 50 years ago didn't have big sound systems, they heard it on record players or tiny transistor radios. Listen to a mono version on crappy speakers if you can.

It still kicks ass.

What is the new oldies station in LA, the frequency? I assume it is FM?
Too bad KRLA is gone forever.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 16, 2018 00:24

DaveG
loog droog
There is a new AM oldies station in LA,

I assume it's this (yes, on AM)...

[laoldies.com]

I live in L.A. and the 1260 frequency has been a wide variety of formats over the years under its current ownership (all Beatles, country, Broadway show tunes, jazz, adult contemporary, talk, classical, standards, plus oldies at least a couple of times).

Date: January 16, 2018 00:25

DaveG
]

1260 AM K-SURF

[laoldies.com]

It's also broadcast on FM 105.1 HD-2, but you don't get the lo-fi, the signal is going in and out, old-school radio experience.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2018 01:15

Jah Paul
DaveG
loog droog
There is a new AM oldies station in LA,

I assume it's this (yes, on AM)...

[laoldies.com]

I live in L.A. and the 1260 frequency has been a wide variety of formats over the years under its current ownership (all Beatles, country, Broadway show tunes, jazz, adult contemporary, talk, classical, standards, plus oldies at least a couple of times).

Nice thanks - something to listen to on AM other than KNX-1070 news radio for traffic reports, etc. Also occasional sports, and some hispanic music, etc.
Living over the hills (and not so far away) up here in Ventura, wondering/hoping I can get it tuned in as well as KNX-1070.
Having grown up on 93 KHJ in the mid '60's/early '70's during my pre-teen years, I have fond memories of AM radio.

Some of you might recognize some of these:

Jingles 93 KHJ

93 KHJ Los Angeles - January 1967 - Robert W. Morgan - Frank Terry

KHJ 93 Los Angeles - 1968

Charlie Tuna - KHJ 930 Los Angeles - February 1969

Thom McAn Monkee Boots 93/KHJ 1967

Date: January 16, 2018 02:39

Hairball

Having grown up on 93 KHJ in the mid '60's/early '70's during my pre-teen years, I have fond memories of AM radio.

Yes. When I was a kid, I can think of hearing part of a song and not knowing the name or artist, and then zipping back and forth between stations hoping to hear it again--after the first time I heard "Cry Me A River" by Joe Cocker I did that literally for hours!

Now, with everything at your fingertips, it's a whole different thing. No more mystery, no more hunt.

Yesterday Bob Eubanks was on Breakfast With The Beatles talking about the 64-66 LA concerts he produced for them. He did an announcement and the guy has still got that smooth AM DJ radio voice.

But the '68-'72 "Golden Period" for the Stones also marked a period of transition for Rock radio as it moved into FM, which programmed more (and longer) album cuts.

It should be noted that this era began with a non-lp single, then Beggar's, then another classic non-lp single, and then continued with Let It Bleed, etc. Since JJF and HTW are some of their best recordings (I'd call JJF the best) it's not accurate to focus attention purely on the albums.

Another radio note: While FM Rock radio looked down on the AM Top 40 format, it at least kept the music scene moving and fresh, so you didn't have that same stagnant Classic Rock playlist (Starway, Layla, Freebird, Dream On, Sympathy, etc) that stayed put on the airwaves for 45 years.

Date: January 16, 2018 03:34

loog droog
Yesterday Bob Eubanks was on Breakfast With The Beatles talking about the 64-66 LA concerts he produced for them. He did an announcement and the guy has still got that smooth AM DJ radio voice.

I listened to a portion of Breakfast with the Beatles with Bob Eubanks yesterday!

Two things I learned:

- Gold records given to artists aren't the actual albums - Bob Eubanks (and a friend of his) was able to play one of the Beatles gold records, and it was actually Opera music!

- Bob Eubanks didn't like it when the Beatles went psychedelic haha. Show host Chris Carter then went on to play Baby You're a Rich Man and a few other psychedelic Beatles gems! smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2018 21:38

FIVE years.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 16, 2018 22:08

The golden period for their wallets was sigificantly longer: 1989-2017...and counting.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:11

Hairball
loog droog

I listened to a portion of Breakfast with the Beatles with Bob Eubanks yesterday!

Two things I learned:

- Gold records given to artists aren't the actual albums - Bob Eubanks (and a friend of his) was able to play one of the Beatles gold records, and it was actually Opera music!

- Bob Eubanks didn't like it when the Beatles went psychedelic haha. Show host Chris Carter then went on to play Baby You're a Rich Man and a few other psychedelic Beatles gems! smiling smiley
Bob Eubanks from The Newlyweds Game show??

Date: January 16, 2018 23:23

keefriff99

Indeed...quite the fixture in Los Angeles as a popular disc jockey, club owner and the man who promoted all three Beatles' L.A. concert appearances (Hollywood Bowl in '64/'65 and Dodger Stadium in '66).

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:34

loog droog

It still kicks ass.

totally great station. saw this Post yesterday and today when shopping I hit 1260 AM K-Surf as you mention here...

well good golly miss molly; between stops for groceries and sundries I'd sure enough heard Paul Revere & The Raiders "Just Like Me' with two lead guitars tearing up that "Louie Louie" progression like a hundred other hits. It was sublime. Sure enough on comes The Supremes, The Essex, The Animals, The Kinks, two great Mamas & Papas hits. I'll forgive them "witchy woman" by The Eagles where I had a brief Jeff Bridges as The Dude moment, because on came The Earls!! The Crystals, The Righteous Brothers...
...I first heard Jimi Hendrix and a Whole Hell of a LOT of now Classic Stones hits on a standard AM car radio back in 'the day...'and the Best of everything really so I was thrilled with this tip, thanks. When I was all done with errands I just left the Tuner tuned to there...

tho I DO like Jonesy's Jukebox on KLOS FM in L.A. My Stones fans friens from all over the world can probably easily stream his show. His song selection is excellent usually (imo)...that is to say, he knows who the cluck Mott The Hoople is and why they are essential and etc....a LOT of interviews with stars who are usually a little more laid back with him than Radio Pros who don't have those kinds of ultimate legit bona fides as a Rock and Roller right on the front lines.

Thanks for the KSurf tip. A slew of excellent stuff. The Righteous Brothers...I hope they mix more fifties in there....what an excellent wonderful living tradition of great players; really great, great songs...and a wide VARIETY of them, in style, and what are now very 'narrow-casted' over-demographied cultual slivers, imo.

And course, they actually played the Real Actual "Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen in the sets too!!! and then this cat that did not sound close to any of the other records. It was more like dirty and basic and bluesy or something....i'm not even sure the guitar was exactly tuned. the piano was pretty startling...it was like locomotion itself in some earthy way....and that was Chuck and Johnny...so I'm grateful for the tip.

Info in Steve Jones show. It could probably be streamed Live from a host of different countries:

[www.955klos.com]

"Rock legend Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols hosts this 2-hour open forum show where the only rule is doing whatever Jones wants. Jonesy’s Jukebox encompasses everything from groundbreaking new music of his own personal collection to current topic discussions and guest interviews of all varieties with a living room conversation vibe. Past interviews include the likes of Johnny Ramone, Eddie Vedder, Brian Wilson, Pete Townsend, Iggy Pop, Robert Plant, Courtney Love, John Waters, Common, Gary Oldman, and fellow Sex Pistols member Johnny Rotten.

Jones is no stranger to radio in Southern California. Jonesy’s Jukebox was previously heard on Indie 103.1 for 5 years, attracting music savvy tastemakers away from the “norm” of other stations.

The show garnered major attention & received rave reviews over the years as one of the best commercial radio shows in the nation from L.A. Weekly, Rolling Stone, Esquire and Spin. Within its first year Jonesy’s Jukebox was heralded as “Some of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll radio ever!” by L.A. Weekly, and also gave Jones the “Best New DJ” award in 2004.

The life of this self-taught punk rock legend started with Jones leaving home at age 14, and through the evolution of various bands the Sex Pistols became one of the most influential bands in the history of rock with their iconic (and only album) Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols. Although the band was officially together for just under 3 years, the Sex Pistols inspired a punk rock revolution starting in the UK during the mid-to-late 1970’s and spread throughout the music world, influencing punk and alternative rock musicians to this day."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 00:48 by hopkins.

Date: January 17, 2018 18:51

Jah Paul
keefriff99

Indeed...quite the fixture in Los Angeles as a popular disc jockey, club owner and the man who promoted all three Beatles' L.A. concert appearances (Hollywood Bowl in '64/'65 and Dodger Stadium in '66).
Interesting...didn't know he had a career like that. I only knew him from the Newlyweds growing up.

Date: January 17, 2018 19:32

keefriff99
Jah Paul
keefriff99

Interesting...didn't know he had a career like that. I only knew him from the Newlyweds growing up.

I find it amazing he just turned 80 last week (and sounds exactly the same!)...I thought he had to be older because he's been around forever, yet he was still in his twenties when he promoted the Beatles' shows and started hosting the Newlyweds.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2018 19:46

It's been golden since they first started.

Date: January 17, 2018 19:53

Jah Paul
keefriff99
Jah Paul
keefriff99

I find it amazing he just turned 80 last week (and sounds exactly the same!)...I thought he had to be older because he's been around forever, yet he was still in his twenties when he promoted the Beatles' shows and started hosting the Newlyweds.
I just looked him up and was surprised he was only 80. He's been around for so long.

Date: January 17, 2018 20:02

His Majesty
It's been golden since they first started.

Indeed.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 17, 2018 21:48

They are still Golden...

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 17, 2018 22:05

keefriff99
Jah Paul
keefriff99
Jah Paul
keefriff99

I just looked him up and was surprised he was only 80. He's been around for so long.

I grew up in LA, the only thing I knew him from was his annual hosting on TV of the Pasadena Rose Parade every new year's day!

Date: January 18, 2018 18:04

It is the ultimate 5 year span and this could be a double greatest hits compilation that represents that 5 years:

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Jigsaw Puzzle
Stray Cat Blues

Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Monkey Man
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want

Midnight Rambler (Live)
Little Queenie (Live)
Carol (Live)

Let It Rock (Live)
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Bitch
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Dead Flowers

Tumbling Dice
All Down The Line
Happy
Rocks Off
Loving Cup

Date: January 18, 2018 20:16

GasLightStreet
It is the ultimate 5 year span and this could be a double greatest hits compilation that represents that 5 years:

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Jigsaw Puzzle
Stray Cat Blues

Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Monkey Man
Let It Bleed

Midnight Rambler (Live)
Little Queenie (Live)
Carol (Live)

Let It Rock (Live)
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Bitch
Dead Flowers

Tumbling Dice
All Down The Line
Happy
Rocks Off
Loving Cup

Nice, where can I buy it.thumbs up

It's definitely the Golden era when you consider all the great tunes between those years, and if I had to choose a favorite era after that it would be the Brian era - aka the Silver era.
Not to dismiss or downplay what they've done between '73- '83 (aka The Bronze era), but those early years are what made them who they became and are filled with landmark tunes. After the Bronze we have the '84-present era. I don't know what it could be labeled...maybe the Dirt Clod era. And it is during this Dirt Clod era that they continue to roll as a live band with so many great tours, so it's not all been dismal. And of course there's been a few gems throughout the Dirt Clod era, but they have been very few and far between. For me, Keith's solo albums have been the only absolute and true highlights.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 18, 2018 21:26

Hairball
GasLightStreet

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil
Street Fighting Man
Jigsaw Puzzle
Stray Cat Blues

Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Monkey Man
Let It Bleed

Midnight Rambler (Live)
Little Queenie (Live)
Carol (Live)

Let It Rock (Live)
Brown Sugar
Wild Horses
Bitch
Dead Flowers

Tumbling Dice
All Down The Line
Happy
Rocks Off
Loving Cup

Nice, where can I buy it.thumbs up

It's definitely the Golden era when you consider all the great tunes between those years, and if I had to choose a favorite era after that it would be the Brian era - aka the Silver era.
Not to dismiss or downplay what they've done between '73- '83 (aka The Bronze era), but those early years are what made them who they became and are filled with landmark tunes. After the Bronze we have the '84-present era. I don't know what it could be labeled...maybe the Dirt Clod era. And it is during this Dirt Clod era that they continue to roll as a live band with so many great tours, so it's not all been dismal. And of course there's been a few gems throughout the Dirt Clod era, but they have been very few and far between. For me, Keith's solo albums have been the only absolute and true highlights.

So you're saying, you got the silver! Dirt clod seems a bit harsh. I love a lot of modern tracks, but I do think they tried to hard to "have a a hit" instead of just doing what they liked, a la the Black Crowes.

Date: January 18, 2018 21:53

I'd make it 1973-1984 because of REWIND.

1985-1987 is the Brown era - short but crappy - 2 Jagger solo albums, the worst Stones album ever.

Keith's album in 1988 is The Great Interruption era, where things seem to have been righted as best as possible.

1989-now is obviously (perhaps it should be obliviously?) the Vegas era.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 18, 2018 22:56

Wow - 50 years?! I must be getting old!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1504
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home