Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2014 01:45

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
I'm afraid I am, Treacle. But like you I take my time.

Ordered VL, B2B, ABB and Stripped on vinyl yesterday. Only NS and LL left to complete my official album vinyl collection. Not cheap...

Nice going!

I was lucky to buy most of those when they first came out, they've really gone up in price haven't they?

But Live Licks IS NOT an official vinyl release, so you don't need to concern yourself with that, unless you're into the 'bootleg' aspect of it.

I know, and I haven't really decided whether I'm going for the bootleg or not.

Yeah, $100+

Are the vinyl's you bought yesterday sealed or 'previously enjoyed'?

I've tried to get most of the catalogue in a 'sealed' state, but I must admit that the listening enjoyment is thwarted because I don't like to unseal them.

SO...I have all the vinyls used too!

Geek I know.

Re: The Stones’ Some Girls Super Deluxe Box Set is a Disappointment – a comment to Mr. Jagger
Date: July 25, 2014 03:23

smiling smiley "Near mint"...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2014 03:25

DandelionPowderman
smiling smiley "Near mint"...

excellent, no pressure whether to open or not...happy listening!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 25, 2014 07:27

The bonus disc of Some Girls is the best "album" they've made in 30 years.

Date: July 25, 2014 09:47

71Tele

33? smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2014 13:00

71Tele

I'd hesitate to make such a statement but it's certainly, in its own right, a favourite album of mine.

I consider myself blessed as a fan because the thing I've always loved above all else with this band is the unique and glorious ramshackle noise they make together.

They can make this noise almost regardless of the song material and its quality.

The SG bonus album, modern overdubs and all, sounds like them having fun and playing/recording for the love of it.

It's probably the most played CD this vinyl ludite has ever owned...and I hate the format with a vengence !

Date: July 25, 2014 14:01

Spud
71Tele

I'd hesitate to make such a statement but it's certainly, in its own right, a favourite album of mine.

I consider myself blessed as a fan because the thing I've always loved above all else with this band is the unique and glorious ramshackle noise they make together.

They can make this noise almost regardless of the song material and its quality.

The SG bonus album, modern overdubs and all, sounds like them having fun and playing/recording for the love of it.

It's probably the most played CD this vinyl ludite has ever owned...and I hate the format with a vengence !

+1

PS: Get the vinyl bootleg. You won't regret it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 22, 2020 19:09

Just saw this new Chris Kimsey interview on SDE about Duran Duran and he managed to slip in that the 2011 SG remaster "sounds like shit" !!!

Here's the full interview : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

SDE: Did you pick up the phone and speak to anyone at that time?

Chris Kimsey: No, they won’t listen. It’s like The ’Stones. About five or six years ago Some Girls was remastered for the third time…

SDE: Yes, that came out as a big box set.

Chris Kimsey: Yeah, and I got sent a copy after it was already pressed. It wasn’t ‘would you listen to it and say if it’s okay?’. It was just done. When I got it, I called Keith’s manager and Mick’s manager and asked, ‘has anyone listened to this?’. They said, ‘oh, it’s got 5-star reviews from so-and-so’. I said, ‘it’s shit. It’s absolutely awful’. And they didn’t care because a couple of magazines had previewed it. Six months, on Amazon, ‘this is the worst version’; all the punters were giving it one star, two stars. I hate it, but I can’t do anything about it. With The ’Stones – especially, selling [their catalogue] from label to label – every time they remaster it, it gets more compressed; louder – but smaller – and it just sounds like shit.

Other items of Stones' note :

" I wouldn’t want any ’Stones stuff, I’ve got enough Stones outtakes to last me a lifetime!"

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 22, 2020 19:23

>" I wouldn’t want any ’Stones stuff, I’ve got enough Stones outtakes to last me a lifetime!"

Give the boy a gold star and then point him to the door.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 23, 2020 20:56

jbwelda
>" I wouldn’t want any ’Stones stuff, I’ve got enough Stones outtakes to last me a lifetime!"

Give the boy a gold star and then point him to the door.

jb

He's right though. Why would he buy anything UMe releases? He knows better.

Date: August 24, 2020 00:08

I am pretty sure he doesn't "buy" anything, I am sure he is on everyone's promo list.

Still, its a pretty stupid comment to make considering the source. Biting the hand that feeds you basically.

jb

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 24, 2020 06:23

I wonder what the OP of this thread thinks of the new DELUXE GHS then??

Rod

Date: August 24, 2020 20:08

jbwelda
I am pretty sure he doesn't "buy" anything, I am sure he is on everyone's promo list.

Still, its a pretty stupid comment to make considering the source. Biting the hand that feeds you basically.

jb

Kimsey hasn't worked with the Stones since 1991. He's not biting anything. And he's right.

Date: August 24, 2020 22:37

Yeah he is right that HE doesn't need any Stones "stuff" or outtakes or however he put it but he is a pretty privileged boy. Not all of us have his evidently high standards for what they want to hear Thats why I said give him a gold star and point him to the door.

PS: IMO he ruins pretty much everything he touches, that Kimsey guy I mean. One of the kings of meaningless remixes. So, I take anything he has to say with perhaps a larger grain of salt than you might.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2020 22:56

you mean like Rock Salt ...... ???????

Bit gritty on ya chicken & gravy .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2020 23:02

But oh so good stuck between two teeth.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2020 23:04

Stones Rock Salt ....
Heck they might start sellin that at No9 ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 24, 2020 23:07

CK think what he want but for me the "Some girls" second disc is a fine album full of interesting tracks...

Date: August 24, 2020 23:14

jbwelda
Yeah he is right that HE doesn't need any Stones "stuff" or outtakes or however he put it but he is a pretty privileged boy. Not all of us have his evidently high standards for what they want to hear Thats why I said give him a gold star and point him to the door.

PS: IMO he ruins pretty much everything he touches, that Kimsey guy I mean. One of the kings of meaningless remixes. So, I take anything he has to say with perhaps a larger grain of salt than you might.

jb

So, on that note, he ruined STICKY FINGERS, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER, STEEL WHEELS and FLASHPOINT?

Date: August 24, 2020 23:14

jp.M
CK think what he want but for me the "Some girls" second disc is a fine album full of interesting tracks...

He's not talking about the songs, he's talking about the mastering.

Date: August 24, 2020 23:35

> he ruined STICKY FINGERS, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER, STEEL WHEELS and FLASHPOINT?

Thank you for making my point for me. But those last three did not need him to "ruin" them, they pretty much sucked from the start. The previous two were pretty close to that category too. He was only a minor influence on the earlier ones. If you ask me. And of course you did not.

jb

Date: August 25, 2020 00:25

jbwelda
> he ruined STICKY FINGERS, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, UNDERCOVER, STEEL WHEELS and FLASHPOINT?

Thank you for making my point for me. But those last three did not need him to "ruin" them, they pretty much sucked from the start. The previous two were pretty close to that category too. He was only a minor influence on the earlier ones. If you ask me. And of course you did not.

jb

LOL did you not see the question mark? You did say anything he touched so I covered them all! EDIT: Ah, you said "pretty much" so that... alright, that makes more sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-25 00:25 by GasLightStreet.

Date: August 25, 2020 00:31

I think if you were to listen to UNDERCOVER you'd hear some remarkable detailed engineering and producing in the recording of the songs, especially Tie You Up. There's a fantastic part after the breakdown where it's the far room mic getting the drums coming back in that is not ever done in any other song they did that is completely reliant on the mix and it's fantastic. That's a Kimsey thing.

U is full of details like that. It's Kimsey's best work with the Stones next to what he captured sonically with EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Production wise, he wasn't the full on producer so he had his hands tied a little I'm sure. The other albums he wasn't a producer at all from what the credits say as I recall, he engineered them. So if the songs aren't there, ha ha, all he can do is help shine it up.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 25, 2020 00:59

Mr Jagger? That's a blatant breach of etiquette. No wonder he doesn't answer...

Date: August 25, 2020 01:40

Well GLS as in so many other things there is no clear black and white. His remixes always bothered me, for the Stones and others. But that doesn't mean I might not appreciate some of his other touches, especially if and when they are pointed out to me in music I otherwise dismissed, either at the time of release or on later listening. So thank you for pointing those things out, maybe I will appreciate the music more in the future noticing that stuff.

As you say, he was merely (its quite a bit more than most people realize) the engineer on the earlier stuff, its his production work and remix work I mostly had not been particularly impressed with.

But back to the point, I just think its rather pretentious of him to go around dismissing the Stones (or their releases) with comments like the above including the part about not needing any more Stones stuff because he has all the outtakes, or something. And not very professional. But who am I to say anyhow? Seriously...but I do (or don't) buy the records, so thats something.

But as you pointed out, he did work on Some Girls, so any remastering or redicking about with that material would give him some privilege in saying something or other about how it came out. I do have to give him that much and give him props for his work on the original. Contrary to some, I thought the original vinyl of Some Girls sounded pretty great although some of it was purposefully left rough in my opinion, it added to the dynamics of the songs.

jb

Date: August 25, 2020 05:05

To my knowledge the only remixes Kimsey did for the Stones was Mixed Emotions and Terrifying.

Date: August 25, 2020 06:08

I was probably thinking particularly about Mixed Emotions. I would have to go digging in my 12" stacks to see for sure. Or use that thing called the interwebs.

thanks
jb

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 25, 2020 07:14

I think Kimsey's remarks on the SG remaster tells a lot about nowadays so-called rock magazines. They don't even brother to listen to what's actually on the CD they chronicle.

The only CD reissue of SG that's worth getting is the one released in the 80's on CBS/Columbia. It has an incredible wide dynamic range, Of course the best version remains the original LP.

Date: August 25, 2020 18:50

kowalski
I think Kimsey's remarks on the SG remaster tells a lot about nowadays so-called rock magazines. They don't even brother to listen to what's actually on the CD they chronicle.

The only CD reissue of SG that's worth getting is the one released in the 80's on CBS/Columbia. It has an incredible wide dynamic range, Of course the best version remains the original LP.

jbwelda missed the context of what Kimsey meant. I'm not sure how, Kimsey is quite clear about what he means.

With The ’Stones – especially, selling [their catalogue] from label to label – every time they remaster it, it gets more compressed; louder – but smaller – and it just sounds like shit.

Maybe he was being clever but he didn't mention Marcussen, he simply talked about the deluxe reissue that has the awful remastered SOME GIRLS and the awful mastering of the bonus material.

Date: August 25, 2020 20:06

jbwelda

jb

He ruins what exactly?

You disagree with Kimsey on the latter-day remasters? You enjoy the UMG-remasters more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-25 20:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home