Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
We Had It All - Appreciation Thread
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:18

I have loved this song since I bought 'Claudine' back in 1984 or so.
Great vocal take...there have been 3 versions widely available on various boots.

This one seems like its different then all of those...or maybe an amalgam of all three?

Its closest to take 3, but the Telecaster fills have been replaced by an acoustic guitar doing little runs. At the second verse both the acoustic and the Tele are doing runs. The piano seems a little different.

The acoustic guitar fills. Do you think those are 2011 Keith additions?
The harmonica is a bit different. Is it Mick or Sugar?
Absolutely the original vocals, but not a take I think I have (possibly take 3 vocals).
Stunning on the new release...this and "When You're Gone" are simply stunning.

Wow...

This is my personal highest of highlights on the new release...and Keith did it 33 years ago

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 23:01 by Munichhilton.

Re: We Had It All - Appreciation Thread
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:21

It's one of my favourite Richards/Stones covers...absolutly love it and I think Keith's version is the best of all the various artists who've covered it. Guitar is excellent. Al we need now is Honey Don't Say No released!

Posted by: steini ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:23

What can i say? That´s what Keith will never loose "that feel"
It´s a masterclass of how to sing a song.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:25

Corker of a song. I prefer Ray Charles' version though

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:34

The "I know that we can never live those times again" is heartbreaking.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:42

Best song of the CD. Just my opinion.

Date: November 20, 2011 21:43

steini
What can i say? That´s what Keith will never loose "that feel"
It´s a masterclass of how to sing a song.

I like how you put that!

@dcba...You are right. The song is so forlorn and melancholy.
Fantastic. I can't help but think he recorded a version in the Toronto hotel room sessions, but it just never surfaced.

Only 2 people can truly pull off this amazing piece....
Keith and Elvis. Elvis never got around to it though. Apologies to Waylon and Troy Seals...

Date: November 20, 2011 21:44

aprilfool
Best song of the CD. Just my opinion.

Its a valuable opinion. You should hang on to it...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:49

aaah, dont get me started... I LOVE IT !!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:50

I'm unable to disagree with the appreciation;
We Had It All is one of Keith's finest released performances/songs; IMO

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2011 21:58

Best ever version of a classic country song. Better than writer Donnie Fritts' original and better than Scott Walkers'.

Date: November 20, 2011 22:01

Erik_Snow

Tell it like it is brother, tell it like it is
Admit it. You like "Losing My Touch" a bit as well don't you....

so do I.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 20, 2011 22:39

The song is great. Want it as a single.

But from the first moment I heard it on I-tunes I have a feeling that they did something to Keith vocals. Just listen to 'in my life' at appr. 1.05.

Sometimes Keith just sound very 2011-sh. Otherwise - 'auto-tune' a.k.a Cher-effect. Or maybe this because of my stupid ears and the fact that I used to the old version.

Date: November 21, 2011 04:30

I would say We Had It All and Plundered My Soul are the two best songs out of the vault era so far.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 04:57

How about "Let's Go Steady" I kind of wished they had put that one on too.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: November 21, 2011 10:09

7. WE HAD IT ALL
(TROY SEALS / DONNIE FRITTS)
Keith Richards - vocals, piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ronnie Wood - pedal steel
Sugar Blue - harp

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 21, 2011 13:07

Lynd8

Yes! I think We Had It All is the better of the two, but Let's Go Steady could easily have fit on there as well (along w/ Everything's Turning To Gold).

Date: November 21, 2011 14:10

I was really hoping for "Everything Is Turning To Gold Also" since it was not included in the so called "Rarities" disc from a few years ago. This was the most logical place for it to land. I really wish they would take some fan input in these projects!

LeonidP
Lynd8

Yes! I think We Had It All is the better of the two, but Let's Go Steady could easily have fit on there as well (along w/ Everything's Turning To Gold).

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 21, 2011 14:27

100 % pure Beauty !!!

Date: November 21, 2011 16:23

Lynd8
I was really hoping for "Everything Is Turning To Gold Also" since it was not included in the so called "Rarities" disc from a few years ago. This was the most logical place for it to land. I really wish they would take some fan input in these projects!

LeonidP
Lynd8

But its already been released on Sucking In The 70's.
Also remastered on the 2005 Virgin/EMI release. I'm glad they used tracks we haven't heard over songs that are already available.

Now We Have It All

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 21, 2011 17:28

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow

Tell it like it is brother, tell it like it is
Admit it. You like "Losing My Touch" a bit as well don't you....

so do I.

losing my touch is my fave keith song of the past 30 years or so...not sure why it's criticized so much...a very honest song with some incredible subtle/beautiful piano touches...presumably courtesy mr. chuck leavell...

Date: November 21, 2011 22:03

Munichhilton
Lynd8

LeonidP
Lynd8

Also remastered on the 2005 Virgin/EMI release. I'm glad they used tracks we haven't heard over songs that are already available.

Now We Have It All

The whole entire Some Girls album was released in the 70s ... so what? It's part of that era, and Everything's Turnin' To Gold belongs on this deluxe addition since it was the only b-side from the album. I know I can easily add it, but the point I'm making is that the powers behind this are a bit clueless, that's all.

Date: November 21, 2011 23:13

LeonidP
but the point I'm making is that the powers behind this are a bit clueless, that's all.

Agreed
Maybe We Don't Have It All.

Date: November 21, 2011 23:45

Exactly - there certainly was no shortage of space, and let's be honset, how often do you pull out "Sucking In The 70's"?

LeonidP
Munichhilton
Lynd8

LeonidP
Lynd8

Now We Have It All

The whole entire Some Girls album was released in the 70s ... so what? It's part of that era, and Everything's Turnin' To Gold belongs on this deluxe addition since it was the only b-side from the album. I know I can easily add it, but the point I'm making is that the powers behind this are a bit clueless, that's all.

Date: November 22, 2011 01:48

Lynd8
Exactly - there certainly was no shortage of space, and let's be honset, how often do you pull out "Sucking In The 70's"?

Honesty's overrated
If it didn't suck so bad I might double click it more often

You're right though, they had plenty of room on the CD. But do you really want to hear "Everything's Turning to Gold" with 2011 Jagger vocals?

So did We Have Have It All or not

I'm losing track?

Date: November 22, 2011 06:01

Munichhilton

I'm losing track?

Still pretty close. I am happy as a pig in shite to have new (sort of) stuff. We Had It All is definitely a highlight of the bonus cd.

Date: November 22, 2011 10:33

It just is so soaringly beautiful, it is well-played and Keith's vocals are as good as it gets. I take back everything I said regarding the promo clip, about this take being inferiour to the bootleg version.

Sheer beauty and one of the Stones's three best tracks ever, imo!

Date: November 22, 2011 13:54

ironbelly

But from the first moment I heard it on I-tunes I have a feeling that they did something to Keith vocals. Just listen to 'in my life' at appr. 1.05.

Sometimes Keith just sound very 2011-sh. Otherwise - 'auto-tune' a.k.a Cher-effect. Or maybe this because of my stupid ears and the fact that I used to the old version.

Keith's voice is a little thicker than on the bootlegs we already have. I think those are a bit sped up, hence it sounds different now with the correct speed.

Date: November 22, 2011 13:57

I'm pretty happy too, a couple good ones got away like "Fiji Jim" etc.. but who knows, some day their kids might take over the archives and get the rest out.

LeonidP
Munichhilton

I'm losing track?

Still pretty close. I am happy as a pig in shite to have new (sort of) stuff. We Had It All is definitely a highlight of the bonus cd.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 22, 2011 14:26

DandelionPowderman
ironbelly

Keith's voice is a little thicker than on the bootlegs we already have. I think those are a bit sped up, hence it sounds different now with the correct speed.

this is just not the same vocal as the boot, right?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home