Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
One Hit live
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 20, 2017 16:22

Always wondered why they didn't play that song more often. This version's quite amazing:

youtube.com one hit live

Re: One Hit live
Date: December 20, 2017 16:25

Meise
Always wondered why they didn't play that song more often. This version's quite amazing:

youtube.com one hit live

They struggle with the intro, and it lacks the punch of the original. That might be why they didn't play it more often. Mick's singing was good, though.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 20, 2017 16:49

They could have ditched the fiddly intro and come straight in with the main riff.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 20, 2017 16:57

Meise

youtube.com one hit live

Yeah! I wished and wish this would be part of a regular set list. I thought it went very well live. I use to wonder why we didn't get "She was Hot" live and we finally did!

Rolling Stones on the set of the music video for 'One Hit (To the Body)'
in England in May 1986.
Photo by Michael Putland

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 20, 2017 17:19

Where did that guy who just loved Dirty Work go? Actually, I miss him. I liked his trolling...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2017 17:24

I love the guitars on the studio version and nothing else. The live versions in 1989 sound like Mick's solo versions from the year before. Programmed percussion and keyboards augmenting the acoustic guitar are painful to me. Even worse than the keyboards that drown out Mick's opening guitar riffs on "Sad, Sad, Sad" at every show in 1989 and 1990. Keith's playing of the main riff sounds like he has no confidence in the song compared to the way it roared out of the speaker on the studio recording. The vocal coda, which Mick obviously loved, may come straight from the heart, but it's also straight from Mick's solo tour. There were things I liked about Mick in 1988, but this wasn't one of them. This song should have been great on STEEL WHEELS and URBAN JUNGLE as "Rock and a Hard Place" usually was, but it just never took flight.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 20, 2017 17:30

I thought this song translated live very well at the Alpine Valley gigs I attended, especially good at the 1st concert there in 1989.

Date: December 20, 2017 17:32

Rocky Dijon
I love the guitars on the studio version and nothing else. The live versions in 1989 sound like Mick's solo versions from the year before. Programmed percussion and keyboards augmenting the acoustic guitar are painful to me. Even worse than the keyboards that drown out Mick's opening guitar riffs on "Sad, Sad, Sad" at every show in 1989 and 1990. Keith's playing of the main riff sounds like he has no confidence in the song compared to the way it roared out of the speaker on the studio recording. The vocal coda, which Mick obviously loved, may come straight from the heart, but it's also straight from Mick's solo tour. There were things I liked about Mick in 1988, but this wasn't one of them. This song should have been great on STEEL WHEELS and URBAN JUNGLE as "Rock and a Hard Place" usually was, but it just never took flight.

It's obvious that Keith can't get the same punch with his live settings and his standard tuned guitar, as he did on the album version (with some overdubbed open G-gelled into the mix).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2017 17:41

What's strange is that they seem to be getting a decent crowd reaction from this one, not the infamous "blank stares" Mick uses as an excuse to play the old stuff all the time. Having said that it doesn't really go anywhere live with the looped parts and the phone in bridge. Not much of a song really without the smart studio arrangements. "Rock and a Hard Place" is a pretty close cousin with a better "structure", albeit with another phone in bridge ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2017 18:29

It is cool that they gave it a shot. It just didn't work. It was lifeless.

When I saw that they were playing She Was Hot I was pleased. Then I heard it. Awful.

The same with Sway.

It's just amazing how they can't play some songs live worth a shit and others they seem to elevate them.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 20, 2017 19:10

Meise

youtube.com one hit live

I was at that concert. The whole concert was amazing. They were on fire.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 20, 2017 20:42

Well, I heard nice live versions of She was hot.
That goes for Anybody seen my Baby as well.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 20, 2017 20:48

its an ok song, but not one i would be happy to have as a warhorse.

a bit like the rest of the dirtywork album, its over produced, and also like dirtywork being aggressive dosent add to the song in the way brown sugar, rocks off or rip this joint do.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2017 20:53

Lacks the Jimmy Page guitar playing of the studio version which was the highlight of the tune for me, and which is impossible to replicate in a live setting without him.
Listening to studio version now and it all sounds outdated - the backup singing and mechanical sounding drums...not a favorite.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2017 21:50

Essentially a forgotten single on a forgotten album. As it remains.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 20, 2017 22:11

Ranks as a huge underrated song. In my personal Stones world its top 25 of their songs if I ranked them. But then, I liked the LP Dirty Work, a lot. I know that makes me a freak here.

Date: December 20, 2017 22:16

Look at Bill's face around 0:32 when Charlie screws up the intro...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 20, 2017 22:42

timmyj3
Ranks as a huge underrated song. In my personal Stones world its top 25 of their songs if I ranked them. But then, I liked the LP Dirty Work, a lot. I know that makes me a freak here.

It's my favorite song they did post 1981.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 20, 2017 23:02

Stoneage
Where did that guy who just loved Dirty Work go? Actually, I miss him. I liked his trolling...

Me maybe? Love DW, and many times stated so. Haven't posted for a long time, but if I'm your guy - I missed you too! ;-)

Date: December 20, 2017 23:42

Stoneage might be thinking of HMS smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2017 23:54

That's the one, DP. He had many signatures.I do miss him though.But maybe he's around here somewhere under a new signature. Who knows?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 21, 2017 01:35

HMS was certainly a passionate poster, and he sure had a way with riling GLS...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 21, 2017 02:42

"One Hit" might have been a grat show opener if played/arranged right, at least on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tours.

There are songs they somehow can't bring to life onstage, maybe OH is one of them. Another one appears to be D&G. I always thought D&G could work really well live, perhaps with a nice guitar solo etc., but the live versions they actually presented didn't really come across that great.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 21, 2017 03:44

I like this live version very much, interesting how Mick abandons his guitar so early, 3 obviously needed for the various melodies in the intro. Nice. Thanks.

Rod

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 21, 2017 04:36

I love this song, but it's very much a studio creation. It was really lackluster live.

Between Charlie not playing the drums originally and Jimmy Page's solo, it simply can't be replicated in a decent way.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: December 21, 2017 07:16

Who did play the drums on this . Was it Ron

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 21, 2017 07:21

Anitapal82
Who did play the drums on this . Was it Ron
Anton Fig, I believe. However, Wiki says he just plays shakers.

The drum style doesn't really sound like Charlie, but maybe it was him.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 21, 2017 07:36

Meise

youtube.com one hit live
That sounds great, just listened to the whole thing... FUN!! Thanks for posting

Man, that is quite a setlist that played that night, 27 songs

Sep 3 1989 The Rolling Stones Setlist
CNE Stadium, Toronto, ON, Canada

Start Me Up
Play Video
Bitch
Play Video
Sad Sad Sad
Play Video
Undercover of the Night
Play Video
Harlem Shuffle
(Bob & Earl cover)
Play Video
Tumbling Dice
Play Video
Miss You
Play Video
Ruby Tuesday
Play Video
Play With Fire
Play Video
Dead Flowers
Play Video
One Hit (To the Body)
Play Video
Mixed Emotions
Play Video
Honky Tonk Women
Play Video
Rock and a Hard Place
Play Video
Midnight Rambler
Play Video
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Play Video
Little Red Rooster
(Willie Dixon cover)
Play Video
Before They Make Me Run
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Play Video
Happy
(Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Play Video
Paint It Black
Play Video
2000 Light Years From Home
Play Video
Sympathy for the Devil
Play Video
Gimme Shelter
Play Video
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Play Video
Brown Sugar
Play Video
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Play Video
Encore:
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 21, 2017 07:39

bitusa2012
I like this live version very much, interesting how Mick abandons his guitar so early, 3 obviously needed for the various melodies in the intro. Nice. Thanks.

That was interesting...
but he seemed to have a good time with the song, start to finish...
and it had a great ending.

Always fun to see Jagger having fun on stage

Date: December 21, 2017 10:32

Stoneage
That's the one, DP. He had many signatures.I do miss him though.But maybe he's around here somewhere under a new signature. Who knows?

Sure about that? I didn't know...

As he was sort of going rogue with this DW-stuff, I thought that was his only moniker smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home