Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Through the Past Darkly
Posted by: rogue ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:22

There is no need for a new album or a new single. The recent speculation that Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman will be on board for a tour is wonderful to consider but it's all getting to be a bit of a fantasy.

A new album will have no chance of standing up to their past let alone all the archive material they are now releasing. MT and BW may well join them on stage for a few shows and in fact I believe 2012 will be a short tour with a looser production and varied set list. A touring jam session. For Stones fans this will be like a dream come true.

There is one more factor other than age, Brenda's tiff with Keith, and Keith's hands: the economy sucks.

I've spent thousands on tickets and travel to see the Stones but I just can't justify it anymore. If they don't come within a two hour drive of my mid-sized American city I can't go.

Ticket prices were high for ABB. What will they be six years later with higher transportation cost, etc. I sure can't spend the night in a hotel after the show either. I'm not in dire straits but I have more responsibilities and duties to my family.

I know I am not the only fan thinking like this.

I look forward to the possibility of 2012 being a big celebration for the Stones but I have made peace with the fact that I will probably only see them again on DVD.

Re: Through the Past Darkly
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:02

It is great to meet another really optimistic fan. There are so many here on this board... Also interesting you already know all these "facts". For many fans we are excited by all the incredible events that seem to be happening at a astonishing pace...Some Girls deluxe, live concerts being unearthed and released, and the boys jamming even inviting Bill and MT to participate. Seems pretty exciting to many of us.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:00

And if there might be also a contemporary sign of musical creativity - that is, another studio album expressing the outlook and feel of the Rolling Stones on the world and life of 2012 - at least a great minority among fans would take a special delight in it. Even if a majority of writing fans on IORR is certain to voice heavy criticism directed against everything that is completely new.

Remember Charlie's charming drawings on the sleeve of "Between the Buttons", the words from one person on the last drawing but one spoken as "well I like it", by another "well I don't know", confronted with the sounds of "Have You Seen Mother Baby". And the last drawing of a Janus face with spoken words by the one as "..they ain't as .....never will be .... what do they think they're up to now", however,by the other "hi Mick, love your latest..."

Date: November 19, 2011 12:46

We'll see what December's Children bring us.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2011 20:50

Maybe a way to deal with the sour economy is to scale back the production. I don't a giant bridge or fire breathing robots. Some of my favorite Stones concerts were very stripped down affairs. It should be about the music at this point.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 19, 2011 21:28

24FPS
Maybe a way to deal with the sour economy is to scale back the production. I don't need a giant bridge or fire breathing robots. Some of my favorite Stones concerts were very stripped down affairs. It should be about the music at this point.

Ideally, yes, but there are some touring artists with very scaled down productions (Neil Young, solo and acoustic, for example), who still charge an arm and a leg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 21:29 by tatters.

Date: November 21, 2011 00:01

tatters
24FPS
Maybe a way to deal with the sour economy is to scale back the production. I don't need a giant bridge or fire breathing robots. Some of my favorite Stones concerts were very stripped down affairs. It should be about the music at this point.

Ideally, yes, but there are some touring artists with very scaled down productions (Neil Young, solo and acoustic, for example), who still charge an arm and a leg.

Good point. The other problem is that scaled back production values might reveal less than great performances. I can't watch Shine A Light because of this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home