Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Brussels Affair - we need the CD
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 17, 2011 21:16

StonesTod
hot stuff
Again, many of their fan base cannot or don't want to download...
Others hardcore fans want to collect official Stones records..

You may be right...The Stones will miss out on a lot of sales
from fans who don't know how to download. And a lot of impluse buying from fans
looking to buy something at their local Record store, Walmart, Sears, KmART, eTC!!

market research suggest something entirely different...the vast majority of music buyers are downloaders...so a few hardcores have to get with the program...they'll learn...

Indeed, nowadays it's "usership" instead of "ownership"....

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 21:45

Re: Brussels Affair - we need the CD new
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 17, 2011 19:09

go out and make your own cd and artwork. sheesh - ppl are so helpless.

I am quite capable of making my own artwork, I am a professional in Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark, it's not the point, official is better than having a printed white top CD and home-made artwork - please don't judge people are helpless without having knowledge of their skills.

Cheers

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:00

Don't see this as a cd release. Last view live cds did not sell well. By offering it download only, reduces packaging & distribution costs. Non-hardcore fans would probably not be that interested in this.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:02

It's possible we won't see a release..but it's possible we might see SOME KIND of a physical product from them since on the official site it says they will soon offer "Deluxe Box Sets"...so unless it's an empty promise...there is some hope to look out for.

Date: November 17, 2011 23:03

skl127
Re: Brussels Affair - we need the CD new
Date: November 17, 2011 19:09

I am quite capable of making my own artwork, I am a professional in Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark, it's not the point, official is better than having a printed white top CD and home-made artwork - please don't judge people are helpless without having knowledge of their skills.

Cheers

well, i'm helpless and have ample knowledge of my skills, so i just figured...

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:15

Yes I agree with Gazza the cd will be dead late 2012. With iTunes google ans some lossless platforms the cd is useless. Cd is just a 44khz file. So buy directly the files. The only alternative is vinyl if you have an excellent turntable. The analog sound is then still the best one. But unfortunately I doubt there will be a vinyl release for archives. But who knows ? I will knock on MJ and KR FB pages for asking

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:38

There is probably a contract, where Google get all the attention now for their store, then the Stones may sell reissues (heard about that?) for next year or so...

Bjornulf

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:45

I would love a CD. But if the Stones release more cds and box sets the guys would say the band just want money.

I don´t like download but is a cheap solution. all people can pay 7 dolars. it´s a popular solution.

I would love cds, too. but I understand why they are using digital versions.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:57

flac can handle the artwork...

"FLAC is an open format with royalty-free licensing and a reference implementation which is free software. FLAC has support for metadata tagging, album cover art, and fast seeking."

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 18, 2011 00:12

It should be released on CD.

I have a wonderful Bang & Olufsen hi-fi system, without a dock, and would love to hear Brussels Affair with Keith & Mick Taylor's guitar-work played through top quality B & O Speakers.

I am only 40 and I would also love a tangible CD, as opposed to just a download. It's just not fair on fans who would shell out for a CD.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 18, 2011 00:31

Well I'm NEVER gonna download an official Stones release, but if there was a CD I'd happily pay 20-30 bucks for it. But it would have to come with a booklet.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 18, 2011 00:57

Well I am no big fan of downloads generally, but if that is the only way I am going to get something like this officially then I WILL GO ALONG WITH IT.
I downloaded the flac version off stonesarchive.com earlier this evening cost me $9 and I haven't stopped listening to it yet, and I'm 62

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:05

skl127
OK, fantastic news that we can actually hear Brussels how it should be, and what a concert! But I really would like to buy the CD, not some mp3 files that float around in the ether, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I need tactility, artwork etc.

Cheers

I'm old-school too. To me, if its not a physical release, meaning an actual cd, liner notes or whatever, its just another download, something we can do anyway.
Most of us already have Brussels in some fashion and in stereo. Its probably the best boot as far as audio quality. I have no doubt this format will be an upgrade, but its just not the same. To me, a physical release is like going mainstream...meaning, available to anyone in a record store or whatever. People who would not normally be Stones fan are more likely to buy an official cd release. That's not the case with this format - I don't even know if I will.
I guess it is old-fashioned - like Ladies and Gentlemen, its out there, like a document of a certain time, place.
An online format seems too transient. Only we care. In a Barnes and Noble, some young kid browsing might see the cool image of Mick and Keith in their prime, from a time he isn't familiar with and he might be curious.....
He buys it and discovers the beauty of Mick Taylor, hears a very different version of YCAGWYW. Downloading this stuff is just giving the congregation a little prize. I want more people to hear these songs, this band in 73. The market in saturated with every Stones tour post-81. We have no physical cd release from 72-73.
To me, that's a shame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 01:13 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2011 02:31

A 'young kid' is more likely to be downloading than going into a record shop to buy it.....

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 10:43

DandelionPowderman
xke38
Naive question: Doesn't the compressed download file size result in an - in the case of a sounboard recording noticeable - loss of quality when played over a hifi system?

The compressed mp3-files, yes, but not the lossless flac-files.

Thanks!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:12

stupidguy2
skl127
OK, fantastic news that we can actually hear Brussels how it should be, and what a concert! But I really would like to buy the CD, not some mp3 files that float around in the ether, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I need tactility, artwork etc.

Cheers

I'm old-school too. To me, if its not a physical release, meaning an actual cd, liner notes or whatever, its just another download, something we can do anyway.
Most of us already have Brussels in some fashion and in stereo. Its probably the best boot as far as audio quality. I have no doubt this format will be an upgrade, but its just not the same. To me, a physical release is like going mainstream...meaning, available to anyone in a record store or whatever. People who would not normally be Stones fan are more likely to buy an official cd release. That's not the case with this format - I don't even know if I will.
I guess it is old-fashioned - like Ladies and Gentlemen, its out there, like a document of a certain time, place.
An online format seems too transient. Only we care. In a Barnes and Noble, some young kid browsing might see the cool image of Mick and Keith in their prime, from a time he isn't familiar with and he might be curious.....
He buys it and discovers the beauty of Mick Taylor, hears a very different version of YCAGWYW. Downloading this stuff is just giving the congregation a little prize. I want more people to hear these songs, this band in 73. The market in saturated with every Stones tour post-81. We have no physical cd release from 72-73.
To me, that's a shame.
I understand your old school thoughts. If they put this on vinyl I'll pick up a copy too. But download the flac version, burn it to CD and you'll be amazed at the amount of detail you here compared to the boot.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:15

I would rather say:

We need the LP!!!

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:42

The thing is they will miss the chance to make some extra money. A "limited" pressing of, let's say, 5.000 copies would sell like hot cakes. Just produce some basic artwork et voila - you've a highly desired collectible.

The worst bit is that I already expect bootlegs on "multi coloured double vinyl sets" or SODD, DAC, VGP or whoever cheap realeases on CD. Shame.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:09

Please give us an official release (CD and LP), don't care how much it will cost

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:30

Gazza
A 'young kid' is more likely to be downloading than going into a record shop to buy it.....

Yeah, but don't see many young ones DL Brussels '73 smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:06

Its only been available for 12 hours....

The principle is the same. They're more likely to download than buy in a shop. And this release is very internet-driven in terms of promotion, which helps.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:08

Gazza

this is not only young kids music.

I dont want to download anything really...I want vinyl LP
or ..least a CD.

Date: November 18, 2011 15:42

This is as good as a cd, imo. Just convert the FLAC to Wav-files and burn them on a cd, print the artwork and voila: You got the cd of the year!

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:22

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 01:05

Cheers

To me, that's a shame.

Totally agree with the above comments - maybe I'm old skool too!

Cheers

Date: November 18, 2011 16:24

It's the music you should be sentimental about winking smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:24

skl127

Then you can always listen to your Flashpoint CD instead.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:49

Erik_Snow
skl127

Then you can always listen to your Flashpoint CD instead.

Erik....that´s a tough one...
Haven´t listened to it for...........I can´t remember.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:59

Official DSD please.thumbs up

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:14

If a few thousand people will only buy it on a physical CD, but 5000 people will buy it only as a download because they don't have record stores anywhere to go to, then download wins out. FLAC is perfect CD quality. There are any number of free programs that will burn the flac file to an audio CD which is playable in your stereo. It will sound exactly the same as a pressed CD because FLAC is lossless.

As for the old-skool mentality, I get that. I used to love buying a cd, listening while reading the liner notes. I have stones and beatles vinyl hanging on my walls because the album covers are so iconic to me. But I'm afraid that this day is over. The music industry has had shrinking profits for years, some because of piracy, but also because they lost the ability to keep seeling you the same product.

People have bought dark side of the moon 3 times on LP, an 8-track, a cassette for the car, then the cd, then the remastered cd. Once the CD came along, you had a copy that would last forever if cared for. When hard drive storage got cheap, you could back it up to a hard drive so that if you lose it or scratch it you can just burn another one.

We have all these remasters because the industry is losing the re-buy revenue. Every couple years you need to remaster and add a new song, or like exile a new disc in order to convince people to re-buy. Eventually though, it's pointless. The 94 virgins are superior in quality, so very few bought the UMGs who already owned the Virgins. The beatles remasters are a huge upgrade to the originals, no doubt they will try again in 10 years, but I can't imagine it will be much better, if at all. I'm sure they will open the studio vaults like the stones have started to open the live vaults.

I copied my whole collection to a hard drive about 5 years ago and sold my physical collection. With the money I had enough to get 2 hard drives so I have a backup, and i have everything in FLAC, exactly the same quality. I have a PC hooked to my stereo for listening, I have everything on an mp3 player for travel. For me it was tough to sell those discs that I had bought over many years, but I listen to things now more because I don't have to fumble with CDs in the car or dig out a disc in my bookshelf.

It's not that the stones don't care about the fans. It's that the record company makes a simple assessment of who will buy more, what will cost less to make AND sell, and will get to the most people. And then there is the simple fact that if they sell it in MP3 and FLAC, you can pay for whatever you want, a CD copy or one for the ipod only. CDs will be like vinyl in a few years, with people claiming that they can hear a difference between a cd and flac. Much like people extol the virtues of vinyl, which to me only logically sounds better if off an analog master. Once the music is digitized, the carrier doesn't change the sound.

Again, I say this as someone who collected and stored for years, and almost could not believe what I was doing when I made the change. But then it's done and I don't miss the physical format.

Matt

Date: November 18, 2011 17:18

StonesTod

I will not bother to pay for an MP3 since they don't sound as good as a wav file, CD, etc. I already paid for the bootleg and I'm sure the bootleg sounds better than the MP3.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home