Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: SOME GIRLS BONUS DISC REVIEWS
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: December 6, 2011 11:11

I like the Some Girls bonus tracks! And I also like the Exile bonus tracks! Nothing to be disappointed of. In a nutshell, I see it this way:
Regarding the Exile outtakes it is what you get when the Stones blend their musical influences to come up with a song.
Regarding the Some Girls outtakes, there is a 'salad' thing you have.An exhibition. You can pick out the different pieces. Straight rock'n'roll, straight blues, straight country.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: December 8, 2011 17:52

Actually, a double-header review of Some Girls Deluxe and Live In '78 right here.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 8, 2011 22:15

my only disappointments are the wrong choice of the single and new vocals for Some People Tell Me/Keep up blues

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2011 01:19

OlRiddim
Actually, a double-header review of Some Girls Deluxe and Live In '78 right here.

good review...thanks!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 24, 2021 22:24

Were there any bonus songs on the Japanese release of this one??

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 24, 2021 23:05

VoodooLounge13

Were there any bonus songs on the Japanese release of this one??

CD2-13 So Young (Piano Version) 2:55 - [www.Discogs.com] . UICY-10027 - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.CDJapan.co.jp] , [www.Discogs.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-24 23:15 by Irix.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 25, 2021 10:43

OlRiddim

One line in the review stands out for clarity AND accuracy:

“Wyman was dead-nuts-on”.

True, that.

Rod

Date: June 23, 2021 23:50

Finally received and had a chance to listen to the bonus disc. It's hard to know what is original vocals and what was overdubbed, but overall, I think these are the best "extras" of all the bonus discs they've done so far. Also got me wondering just who exactly is Mick singing about on So Young. Anybody know?

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 23, 2021 23:57

Never understood why they included this b-side from the voodoo lounge era on the sg bonus disc. Is it a different version? Also I remember reading an interview where Mick claimed he'd quickly penned the b-sides for voodoo lounge on the spot when don was asked for b-sides. That's be a lie if so young is an sg leftover.

Date: June 24, 2021 00:07

Whale
Never understood why they included this b-side from the voodoo lounge era on the sg bonus disc. Is it a different version? Also I remember reading an interview where Mick claimed he'd quickly penned the b-sides for voodoo lounge on the spot when don was asked for b-sides. That's be a lie if so young is an sg leftover.

I believe it does go back to the SG era. Someone on here will post on it definitively. But it's dirtier - especially the piano, juke joint like, version.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2021 00:12

VoodooLounge13
Finally received and had a chance to listen to the bonus disc. It's hard to know what is original vocals and what was overdubbed, but overall, I think these are the best "extras" of all the bonus discs they've done so far. Also got me wondering just who exactly is Mick singing about on So Young. Anybody know?

Still love this disc, but gotta say the 3 'new' ones on GHS Deluxe are stellar.

Date: June 24, 2021 00:12

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

Still love this disc, but gotta say the 3 'new' ones on GHS Deluxe are stellar.

Haven't gotten around to purchasing that one yet...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 24, 2021 01:42

Oh my God! It's close to ten years already since the SG bonus! Which means the Exile bonus tracks were eleven years ago! And the 60th is next year! We're racing to the grave! Oh well, it's been fun.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 24, 2021 13:59

24FPS
Oh my God! It's close to ten years already since the SG bonus! Which means the Exile bonus tracks were eleven years ago! And the 60th is next year! We're racing to the grave! Oh well, it's been fun.
or were going to hell in a bucket and at least were enjoying the ride ( Weir, Barlow )

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 25, 2021 06:47

VoodooLounge13
Whale

I believe it does go back to the SG era. Someone on here will post on it definitively. But it's dirtier - especially the piano, juke joint like, version.

Correct, it is from the Some Girls era, and on several bootlegs. They re-recorded it for Voodoo b-side.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 25, 2021 07:14

LeonidP
VoodooLounge13
Whale

Correct, it is from the Some Girls era, and on several bootlegs. They re-recorded it for Voodoo b-side.

It was not re-recorded, it was added to. It is a SOME GIRLS sessions leftover.

There's no lying about it. Mick never mentioned it. Supposedly So Young was in consideration for part of the remasters, that Don Was was aware about. For whatever reason the master was brought in and they worked on it some more in 1993 as well as 2011.

I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong (on demand). Don Was said, Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week. It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides. And when we were there the last night in Dublin, Don said, Well, we should really have done the B-sides. I said, Well, I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides. He said, Well, couldn't you just go and write them? This is like at the end of the 6 weeks. And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides. And he said, Well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafeteria and do them? I said, Okay, I'll try it. So I went in and wrote The Storm and the next one, which is called Jump on Top of Me, and the next one, which is called, ah... (laughs). I forget what I called it! It's called Drive something - I don't know - Ride All Night or something. I can't remember; I changed it. But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: June 25, 2021 15:48

Question for the board.......

Given some of the women that Mick has seduced over the course of his lifetime, if he were to be doing that today, wouldn't he be villified? 15 year olds, 17 year olds......I know things were much, much different back then, but it's an interesting thought.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 25, 2021 16:44

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
VoodooLounge13
Whale

It was not re-recorded, it was added to. It is a SOME GIRLS sessions leftover.

There's no lying about it. Mick never mentioned it. Supposedly So Young was in consideration for part of the remasters, that Don Was was aware about. For whatever reason the master was brought in and they worked on it some more in 1993 as well as 2011.

I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong (on demand). Don Was said, Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week. It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides. And when we were there the last night in Dublin, Don said, Well, we should really have done the B-sides. I said, Well, I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides. He said, Well, couldn't you just go and write them? This is like at the end of the 6 weeks. And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides. And he said, Well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafeteria and do them? I said, Okay, I'll try it. So I went in and wrote The Storm and the next one, which is called Jump on Top of Me, and the next one, which is called, ah... (laughs). I forget what I called it! It's called Drive something - I don't know - Ride All Night or something. I can't remember; I changed it. But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

[timeisonourside.com]

I just assumed it was re-recorded. Still, I don't see in that clip that it wasn't. Either way, it is different then the bootleg version, so still may have been re-recorded.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: June 25, 2021 16:49

This is the 78 version

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1393
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home