Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: SOME GIRLS BONUS DISC REVIEWS
Posted by: mega ()
Date: November 24, 2011 08:54

My overall impression is that it is a fantastic 'new album'. Especially the production I find impressive: the drumsound is fantastic on almost every track. One track that stands out is So Young, what I hear here is Charley in very good shape, having fun just playing the beat. I don't care how much stuff is 'new', added, reshaped or whatever, I just so much enjoy listening to the whole cd.
Another track that stands out for me is We had it all. The harmonica cuts through the music like a knife!! Goosebumps! Wonderful! smiling smiley

Date: November 24, 2011 09:42

We Had It All is wonderful! But where did Ronnie's steel guitar go? I miss it during the harp solo.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 24, 2011 10:04

Actually all good tracks in their own ways. Don't Be A Stranger actually stood out the first time I heard through the songs, and it gets better and better. The sound is overall very good, especially the drums, and that kinda makes me wish they would remix the original release too, but that won't happen, I guess.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: November 24, 2011 12:03

proudmary
DandelionPowderman
It was just a reply to proudmary, who put words in my mouth. I never said I didn't like Love You Too Much, I love it. In fact, it's one of the better on the album. So are many of the songs with new Jagger vocals.

Do you like to argue with me and try to provoke me just for the fun of that?
I do not understand how "many people" means "DandelionPowderman, it is a bit self-centered of you, do not you think?
Still, I'm glad you like Love You Too Much. I like it too although not as much as Do You Think I Really Care

To Vocalion
I think you have to change the title of this thread from SG reviews to ProudMary's views reviews. Maybe I should in this case post my frontal nude photo for you guys to comment on my appearance too .

The irony is the fact that they can hardly distinguish the difference between 77 and 2011 vocals, say, on I Love You Too Much when they thought it's 2011's Jagger it was awful, then it was turned out to be 77 - and ok.

No, but since there were only one or two people (and I was one of them) that thought there were new vocals, and you added that those people thought the vocals were awful, I had to correct that. I really dig "Love You Too Much"!

Sorry if my reply came across as harsh - that was never my intention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-24 12:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 24, 2011 12:40

proudmary

I think you have to change the title of this thread from SG reviews to ProudMary's views reviews. Maybe I should in this case post my frontal nude photo for you guys to comment on my appearance too .

Hahahah..

well, ..now that you mention...Frontal nude photos of Rolling Stones girl fans.. >grinning smiley<

HAHAHAHAHAH..
drinking smiley....I wouldnt mind watching those...heheh...thumbs up

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: November 24, 2011 12:49

First listen. Seems like a great intentionally retro record. Retro even for 1978.

Think this is probably the sound they'll be going for in their upcoming sessions.
And shows. No other choice really. Anything modern sounding would ring false.

Jagger can keep doing modern elsewhere if he wants.

second listen. Socks knocked off by Tallahasee Lassie and You Win Again.
And petrol blues. Maybe because they're new to our ears?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-24 13:40 by nocomment.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 04:10

It´s a fantastic country rock album. Really amazing. Would be a new Stones album. All songs are great.
I think Some Girls extra tracks better than Exile extra tracks (and I live the Exile extra tracks).

100% satisfied!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 25, 2011 09:30

carlostones10
It´s a fantastic country rock album. Really amazing. Would be a new Stones album. All songs are great.
I think Some Girls extra tracks better than Exile extra tracks (and I live the Exile extra tracks).

100% satisfied!

Yes, the country, and blues elements, come over strongly on these bonus songs. Those genres had been largely missing on GOATS HEAD SOUP, IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, and BLACK AND BLUE (aside from maybe a few glimpses), yet on the SOME GIRLS outtakes they are fairly dominant. My guess is that Jagger being pretty contemporary in his approach, wanted to give SOME GIRLS a more modern feel (as perhaps with those earlier albums), and very much moulded the album to suit more contemporary taste. Yes, there is country on SOME GIRLS too ('Faraway Eyes') and blues ('Some Girls' the title track), yet ultimately SOME GIRLS is a very modern rock album for 78, and very focused at that too, where the Stones ultimately mix their early rock 'n' roll influences with a punky aggressive approach, and as Jagger said in the SOME GIRLS LIVE IN 78 DVD, even elements of rap can be found on the disco inspired 'Miss You' and perhaps a little on the funky 'Shattered'. However, these outtakes show the Stones pretty much covering the same ground as they had done in the 68-72 BEGGARS BANQUET-EXILE ON MAIN STREET period, except perhaps the songs seem a little lighter in approach, and a touch crisper in their production too. That may be also the reason these songs, with the newly recorded overdubs, actually work much better than the newly recorded extras found on EXILE ON MAIN STREET. The mood seems much lighter, and Jagger, perhaps, hasn't got to attempt to match the more murky/heavy aura found on those EXILE outtakes. These new outtakes just seem more relaxed and a whole lot more fun. True, Jagger's recent singing does grate a little on certain tracks, yet he also comes up trumps too, on a few occasions, and especially on 'Do You Think I Really Care'. 'No Spare Parts' is fairly successful too, and Jagger's original vocals on 'Tallahassee Lassie', 'Claudine' and 'I Love You Too Much' are truly great, and 'Keith's 'We Had It All' is pretty much a Stones classic, despite its bonus disc status. Yes, these outtakes, 'Plundered My Soul' aside, work much better than the EXILE outtakes.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 09:47 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 25, 2011 15:21

nocomment
First listen. Seems like a great intentionally retro record. Retro even for 1978.

Think this is probably the sound they'll be going for in their upcoming sessions.
And shows. No other choice really. Anything modern sounding would ring false.

Jagger can keep doing modern elsewhere if he wants.

second listen. Socks knocked off by Tallahasee Lassie and You Win Again.
And petrol blues. Maybe because they're new to our ears?

I think you're spot on noticing that it is "retro even for 1978". I'm sure that several of the songs will grow on me, but the impression from the first listenings is that their first selection was right. I'm not a fan of "Lies", but I'm not sure I would substitute it with any of the possibillities here. Claudine might be closest or Everything turns to gold (which I miss among the bonus tracks), but that would have made another balance on SG.
I could easily have done without the obligatory Keith-vocal track. We had it all is imo one of his worst delieveries. Lightyears from Before they make run, which of course is a classic.
Don't be a stranger and Keep up blues are weak spots too.

But nice to have all this officially released of course. It is fantastic that the vaults finally have opened.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 16:26 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 25, 2011 18:54

I have really been listening to this disc a lot and overall, I think it is great. The one blemish I can't seem to get past is what they did with the aforementioned Lucky in Love, which by some measures may not be the greatest bootlegged tune circulating, but I think they could have taken a risk (and with some cosmetic surgery), released this with the original lyrics intact rather than create a new song (Don't be a Stranger) with the same music.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:08

Finally recieved the Deluxe release, yesterday - and spent more time with the album. Some comments.....

I like it! One can't really compare it with "real RS albums" though; a lot of this is forgettable - especially since we had (superior) versions of all these tracks on bootleg. But I still like listening to this one

Claudine....I like the slower version better. Claudine's one of them bootlegtracks that "everybody wants to hear"; just like CS Blues; since it's mentioned in articles and interviews of the Emotional Rescue era. But when it comes to the song itself....it's nothing to write home about, just like CS Blues. It's not bad but not that good either.

An additional problem with laying on new vocals on old tracks; in addition to however how one feels about Jagger's singing - is that it feels so much like a "karaoke song....good example of this is "No Spare Parts".....Jagger's is just not giving space for Ronnie or Keith to do a solo; and not even any small licks here and there....it's like they're playing in a different room! - hmmm; well - they might be doing that, since it's 34 years between it was originally recorded.

No Spare Parts and Don't Be A Stranger shouldn't been on the disc; I'd say
- especially not Don't Be A Stranger

I'm still surprised everytime I listen to Do You Think I Really Care; as Jagger's singing so lose and great here - excellent work

You Win Again.....nice.

When You're Gone.....nice

I think So Young is far better than I used to; after this release....I'd nearly forgotten about the 1994 track, since I haven't played the Love Is Strong single in.....15 years or so. The piano i-tunes version is even better (thanks!).
When it comes to the original version; compared to this new one.....the original one is a lot cooler; but - it's so far from being finished; lyricwise; that there's no way they'd release that version. If Jagger only had the finished lyrics while doing that drunken vocals back in 1977....now that would've been excellent
I think the inclusion of So Young is allright. I think most people don't listen to old CD singles anyway; just like me - but now; we get to play So Young again and again - untill we maybe get fed up with it. Great!

We Had It All is nice - BUT - I really like the bootleg version(s) better - as Keith is singing better there - and the mix is more proper there. Anyway; it deserved an official release - in nomatter which version.

Petrol Blues.....it's a combination of Exile On Main Street Blues and some kind of humourous Dylan song from the mid 60s. Nice to see it officially released - even if it's just a snippet; and probably should had been a "bonus track"....and not steal the place from some other song that could had appeared on the album

Keep Up Blues....the vocals are straining - not possible to enjoy this one 'cos of Jagger

Tallahassie Lassie and Love You Too Much are THE highlights of the disc for me.....real cooking tracks !

Some Girls deluxe is a lot better than Exile deluxe IMO. Allthough.....as always; would be even better if we got both this "2011 redone version" as well as a "real 1977/78 outtakes disc(s)".

I think this album; even though it's a much better one than Exile deluxe; is only of interest for us "real interested", not for the common guy - so it still baffles me that they are so cheep on the material they include - especially for you who bought the "super deluxe box". But for us who only got the standard 2CD version, it's well spent money.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-29 14:11 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:22

nice review, erik. you've packed alot of stonesiology into 30 short years. i agree with almost all of what you say here...though your two highlights from the album don't impress me that much...

i took the suggestion of someone else on the board to replace the truncated version of petrol with the longer boot version...sound quality is basically on a par. then, i added selected other boot tracks that shoulda made the deluxe cut...bluesy claudine, misty, need you, fiji, etc...finally we have the product that coulda, shoulda been....well, almost, maybe, perhaps...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:27

I think the album is a huge disappointment, and in my opinion it just isn’t interesting at all.

First, I am not interested in re-worked outtakes. Second, most of the tracks on this deluxe version are second rate –there’s so much more and so much better outtakes available.

Considering the re-working of the outtakes: I am not interested in hearing new vocals and lyrics on old outtakes. I am not interested in Jagger’s 2011 ideas on songs originating from 1977 and 1978. I am interested to hear what the Stones where doing in ’77 and ’78, on how Some Girls album was created. What ideas where tossed, why they didn’t choose for one song and continued with another. I want to be taken back in the past with this album. I want to hear how Miss You originated with Billy Preston on bass. I want to hear the 11 minute version of Whip. I want to hear the long version with extra solo’s and harp of Some Girls. I want to hear the extra verses on Beast of Burden. Then, I want to hear what the Stones where working on in 1977, 78 and 79, what they where thinking and living. I want to hear Fiji Jim, The Way She Held Me Tight, I Need You, Let’s Go Steady, A Different Kind, Misty Roads, Jah is Not Dead, Gangster’s Moll, What’s The Matter, Lonely at the Top, Dancing Girls, Munich Hilton, Never Too Into, Still in Love, Linda Lou, Sweet Home Chicago, Break Away, Start Me Up reggae version, the short and long Claudine.

And I want to hear it without any new work done. The Stones in ’77 and ’78 where still the best R&R band in the world, with the best rock singer in the world. That’s what I want to hear, and not this complete over the top singing of a 70 year old Jagger, with cliché lyrics taken from children books. I don’t want to hear perfectly re-recorded harp solo’s or new guitars. I am just not interested in that. I don’t want to hear a plinky piano solo by Chuck Leavell. I want to hear the original outtakes, and I want Jagger to explain to me in the booklet where the track originated from, and why they decided to stop working on it.

And then the outtakes the decided on –Claudine is spoiled by the digital echo on the drums. So Young was already released, so why is it on this release?

Do You Think I Care is brutally raped by a nasal Jagger. I think Jagger totally ruined a fantastic outtake. The original take has a band that is communicating -all fills by Wood are a reaction to what and how Jagger is singing, the same for the piano and Charlie and Bill. It's one of those golden moments in the studio where a band is totally gelling. Now we have a band playing one song, and a singer in another room singing a different song. The band totally doesn't make sense anymore. Wood's licks are completely in the air, the piano is playing a different song than what Jagger is singing.

No Spare Parts was fun because it is a work in progress, now with finalized vocals it is exactly what it is: an un-interesting outtake.

Don’t be A Stranger always was one of the least interesting outtakes from the Pathe sessions –why did they choose this one? And this must be one of worst vocals ever done by Jagger.

We Had it All: why didn’t they take the hauntingly beautiful version III or V? This version really is the least of all versions. I don’t like the new acoustic guitar, and it runs too slow.

Keep up Blues was fantastic with the original vocals, now Jagger completely spoils it with this nasal and fake vocals and that terrible harp: Mick, find a new sound for your harp, this one’s 25 years old! The interplay between Richards’ Robert Johnson finer picking and Wood’s slide is gone –the slide is mixed to the back ground, and a new guitar doesn’t add anything to Richards’ playing.

Petrol Blues –why didn’t they call it Petrol gang, why is it so short, and why is Jagger credited with piano while it is Stu? And who needs this song when there is an abundance of great outtakes available?

So, that leaves Tallahassee Lassie, I Love You Too Much, When You’re Gone and You Win Again. Nice tracks, nice to have. Will we play it in another 3 months? I doubt it. Will we be playing the smack-in-your-face-faults-and-all Brussels Affair? Sure we will, for the next 30 years. And we will play it LOUD!

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:41

I completely agree with Mathijs that the bonus tracks are a disappointment. I also don't want to hear Mick's 2011 singing, even his 2011 harmonica (you can tell it was done now), as it actually makes the songs sound like new material. It's the voice that dates the records, the guitars potentially can sound the same whether recorded now or then (within reason).

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:50

Mathijs

I want to be taken back in the past with this album. I want to hear how Miss You originated with Billy Preston on bass. I want to hear the 11 minute version of Whip. I want to hear the long version with extra solo’s and harp of Some Girls. I want to hear the extra verses on Beast of Burden. Then, I want to hear what the Stones where working on in 1977, 78 and 79, what they where thinking and living. I want to hear Fiji Jim, The Way She Held Me Tight, I Need You, Let’s Go Steady, A Different Kind, Misty Roads, Jah is Not Dead, Gangster’s Moll, What’s The Matter, Lonely at the Top, Dancing Girls, Munich Hilton, Never Too Into, Still in Love, Linda Lou, Sweet Home Chicago, Break Away, Start Me Up reggae version, the short and long Claudine.

And I want to hear it without any new work done.

I want ice cream !!!

Mathijs is not a happy person.

Date: November 27, 2011 16:16

StonesTod
nice review, erik. you've packed alot of stonesiology into 30 short years. i agree with almost all of what you say here...though your two highlights from the album don't impress me that much...

i took the suggestion of someone else on the board to replace the truncated version of petrol with the longer boot version...sound quality is basically on a par. then, i added selected other boot tracks that shoulda made the deluxe cut...bluesy claudine, misty, need you, fiji, etc...finally we have the product that coulda, shoulda been....well, almost, maybe, perhaps...

Thanks Tod

Good idea about making one's own disc - think I'll get around to do that later

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 16:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 27, 2011 16:24

Mathijs
We Had it All: why didn’t they take the hauntingly beautiful version III or V? This version really is the least of all versions. I don’t like the new acoustic guitar, and it runs too slow.

That sure is a wonder.....who decided to include *that* version of We Had It All being released instead of those other ones.....makes no sense

I agree that it would be far more interesting with REAL outtakes - but we can't, unfortunately expect that; it was evident after the Exile release.

Concerning Brussels - that surely was a wierd thing; releasing that one at the same time as Some Girls. Bad timing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 19:57 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 27, 2011 16:51

Apparently I'm in the minority who was happy with the release. While it lacks a single as strong as "Plundered My Soul" or an opener as strong as "Pass the Wine," overall I prefer this to last year's EXILE release.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 27, 2011 17:00

Mathijs, i am afraid that what you want is a different band with a different frontman. you're not getting any philology from mick winking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 27, 2011 17:13

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Apparently I'm in the minority who was happy with the release. While it lacks a single as strong as "Plundered My Soul" or an opener as strong as "Pass the Wine," overall I prefer this to last year's EXILE release.

I think you are in the majority. The minority just has the bigger mouth

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 27, 2011 18:41

Mathijs

So, that leaves Tallahassee Lassie, I Love You Too Much, When You’re Gone and You Win Again. Nice tracks, nice to have. Will we play it in another 3 months? I doubt it. Will we be playing the smack-in-your-face-faults-and-all Brussels Affair? Sure we will, for the next 30 years. And we will play it LOUD!

Mathijs

I don't know how big your family is but just in case you mean "we - the people on this board" I doubt that you have a clue of what I will be playing for the next 30 years. I love this Brussels thing and the completist in me is happy to have it (and I'm waiting impatiently for the next releases) BUT now I have heard it twice and that's it for a while. As far as I can say the bonus-disc of SG will be my partner for many years to come. For me it's better than Emotional Reescue and Tattoo You and it's full of fun and pleasure.

Hard to believe that there's somebody out there who really prefers the cacophonic vocals of "Some People Tell Me" over the new version. For me "Keep Up Blues" is a great track on a great album, "Some People Tell Me" was hardly good enough for a bootleg. But to be honest I had a good laugh when you complain about Mick's harp-sound which is 25 years old - should fit a lot better to this song then the 2011 vocals, don't you think so?

Date: November 27, 2011 18:44

WilliamPatrickMaynard

what do you think is the breakdown of the voting on this? happy 39%, unhappy 43% with about 18% abstainment? i think i'm an abstainer....

Posted by: coatsey ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:20

A few comments here from Mick Jagger on the Mojo website - [www.mojo4music.com]

A few interesting Stones related commenst from Andy Johns here - [www.mojo4music.com]

The forthcoming issue looks very interesting with its Stones related content. I'm very interested to hear how the Sticky Fingers tracks come out - [cover.mojo4music.com]

Date: November 27, 2011 19:40

that's a mojo mag i'll get - love the whole daptone label deal...retro at its finest...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 27, 2011 20:54

Don't Be A Stranger

MJ: "This has a Latin tinge. Originally, there was no melody or lyrics.
So it had to be built up from scratch. At first, I was like, 'I can't do
anything with this,' but then you chip away at it and something comes."

Seems that I listen to boots more closely than Sir Mick.

Date: November 27, 2011 20:56

StonesTod
[what do you think is the breakdown of the voting on this? happy 39%, unhappy 43% with about 18% abstainment? i think i'm an abstainer....

I haven't abstained for many years now. I haven't a clue on the polling, but I am puzzled how Mary knows I have a small mouth. It seems you can find out anything on the internet these days.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 27, 2011 20:57

silkcut1978_
Mathijs

Mathijs

I don't know how big your family is but just in case you mean "we - the people on this board" I doubt that you have a clue of what I will be playing for the next 30 years. I love this Brussels thing and the completist in me is happy to have it (and I'm waiting impatiently for the next releases) BUT now I have heard it twice and that's it for a while. As far as I can say the bonus-disc of SG will be my partner for many years to come. For me it's better than Emotional Reescue and Tattoo You and it's full of fun and pleasure.

Hard to believe that there's somebody out there who really prefers the cacophonic vocals of "Some People Tell Me" over the new version. For me "Keep Up Blues" is a great track on a great album, "Some People Tell Me" was hardly good enough for a bootleg. But to be honest I had a good laugh when you complain about Mick's harp-sound which is 25 years old - should fit a lot better to this song then the 2011 vocals, don't you think so?

..it's hard to believe but i prefer the powerfull vocals of "Some People Tell me" instead of Jagger's nasal voice on 'Keep up blues'. I'm totally agree with Mathijs when he says that "The interplay between Richards’ Robert Johnson finer picking and Wood’s slide is gone –the slide is mixed to the back ground, and a new guitar doesn’t add anything to Richards’ playing."

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 27, 2011 21:13

KRiffhard
silkcut1978_
Mathijs

Mathijs

..it's hard to believe but i prefer the powerfull vocals of "Some People Tell me" instead of Jagger's nasal voice on 'Keep up blues'. I'm totally agree with Mathijs when he says that "The interplay between Richards’ Robert Johnson finer picking and Wood’s slide is gone –the slide is mixed to the back ground, and a new guitar doesn’t add anything to Richards’ playing."

well then, at least we have 2 versions of this tune - one that you and Mathijs like and one that I can enjoy. Not the worst solution.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 27, 2011 21:23

I think that 'Some people tell me' it's one of the best examples of the "ancient art of weaving". The interplay between Keef and Ronnie is amazing.

Date: November 27, 2011 21:25

KRiffhard
I think that 'Some people tell me' it's one of the best examples of the "ancient art of weaving". The interplay between Keef and Ronnie is amazing.

please refrain from using that ridiculous phrase. it's almost grounds for banning on this site.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home