Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Remixed Brussels Affairs - anyone bought it?
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:44

SimonN
Hi with sssoul,

Thanks (also to Erik) for that pointer- people like me who don't read the whole thread are a nightmare, hah-hah!
At the risk of complicating things even further, what is the difference between WAV and MP3?

Cheers,

Simon.

WAV (or FLAC) = CD sound quality

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:49

Hi kowalski,

Thanks for making things simple. @#$%& me, I'm embarrassed at my own ignorance on all things digital!
Where's my 78s?

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:52

yeah thanks kowalski! i don't like mp3s so i always do wavs if there's an option,
but it may also be worth noting that wav files are a LOT bigger than mp3s -
up/downloading them takes longer, and they take a lot more storage space if that's a concern

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:08

For Mac users who want to play the FLAC files, see this thread with some helpful info: [discussions.apple.com]

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 16:45

Flac is a lossless compression. The file ends up being between 40-60% the size of a wav file and NO information is gone. Think of it like a .rar or .zip file, the files are 100% intact, just compressed for size.
Apple lossless, and Windows Media Lossless are about the same size, also 100% wav quality. FLAC has become the standard for downloads though. Converting to wav from flac for a cd burn, or to apple lossless, WMA lossless, and back, over and over, no sound degredation will occur.
MP3, AAC compression attempts to retain only the essential data, you lose some audio information. It is about 10-20% of a wav file in size, depending on bit rate. Most people can't hear a difference between a good MP3 and WAV, but on a nice stereo, or with great headphones, you can hear the compression in MP3.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:24

liddas
SimonN
Hello,

This techno-fuckwit needs a hand!
I've downloaded the FLAC version and then converted it to MP3 using Bigasoft Audio Converter so that I can bung it on iTunes.

So far, so good...well, great to be fair as the band are sounding terrific!

My problem is that none of the songs 'run' into the next one: the next song starts instantly e.g. from the dying chord of 'Gimme Shelter' to the start of 'Happy' there is no time at all.

What am I doing wrong folks?

Cheers,

Simon.

To add files to itunes I do the following

1. Convert FLAC to wav (don't cancel FLAC files)
2. Add Wav files to itunes
3. Set up what kind of compression you want as a final result (general settings > import settings)
4. If you want compressed files, select the imported files and from the "advanced" menu select create AAC version. Cancel old files

To have the songs running one into the other, from itunes select the album, right clic, add info, options, select gapless album

C

After your stage 2, I right click and select "Create MP3 version" and then I delete the WAV files.

For Mac users - I use a free program called Xact which decodes FLAC files and converts them into WAV format. Then use iTunes to create the MP3 versions as above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 17:27 by Father Ted.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:30

Father Ted

After your stage 2, I right click and select "Create MP3 version" and then I delete the WAV files.

For Mac users - I use a free program called Xact which decodes FLAC files and converts them into WAV format. Then use iTunes to create the MP3 versions as above.

OK, but what is the point in buying the (more expensive) FLAC files only to downgrade them to mp3s and delete the original FLAC?

Just buy the Mp3s in the first place!

C

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:35

liddas
OK, but what is the point in buying the (more expensive) FLAC files only to downgrade them to mp3s and delete the original FLAC?

At least burn a CD from the FLAC filess before deleting them (or just keep them), and use the mp3s for your mp3 player.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 18, 2011 18:07

liddas
Father Ted

C

Fair point. I know it seems pointless to buy the FLACs when I never listen to them again.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 18, 2011 18:24

I think the cost of Brussels Affair mp3 increased from $4.99 to $7 overnight. Facebook link
to ARchives has mp3 for $7 today. Bought it yesterday for $5.

Also...not sure if it's been mentioned yet but it's pretty cool that the
Official release was given the same name that the bootleggers gave their bootlegs 3+ decades ago.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 18, 2011 19:55

sweet neo con
[..] was given the same name that the bootleggers gave their bootlegs 3+ decades ago.

Well, not really like that; as the title "Brussels Affair" wasn't released or used before 1988 (at the time of the re-brodcast 3 songs of the KBFH material). It was an italian CD label who titled in "Brussels Affair" that year.

From 1974 to 1987 the most famous bootlegs featuring Brussels 1973 was called "Nasty Music", "Bedspring Symphony" and "Europe 73".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 20:29 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 18, 2011 20:13

Either my ears or my audio equipment or both aren't good enough to tell the difference between FLAC and MP3, so I've bought MP3 - it sounds absolutely wonderful even on my little PC speakers.

I've burned a CD to use in the car - I can play my MP3 player through the car stereo, but the damn thing is volume-limited, and this one needs to be PLAYED LOUD - and my goodness, it's going to be!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 18, 2011 20:26

pulled out the old cherished vinyl; mine was called "europe 74", haha!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2011 20:32

winter
pulled out the old cherished vinyl; mine was called "europe 74", haha!

LOL...yeah it was broadcast in '74. I even remember the BBC re-running the broadcast in the mid 80s and saying it was recorded live on their 1974 tour

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2011 20:33

Father Ted
liddas
Father Ted

C

Fair point. I know it seems pointless to buy the FLACs when I never listen to them again.

Yeah, that's 2 extra bucks you'll probably NEVER see again!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 18, 2011 20:51

Burnt this to cd and listening to Star Star as i type. Can only reiterate that it sounds absolutely fantastic. Whatever took them so long!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 22:17 by still ill.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 21:04

I Wonder why no Flac in America?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 18, 2011 21:22

ghostryder13

Google is making a huge push to compete with iTuner.
They have put a lot of money and promo into becoming the superior player in the MP3 marketing world. They wanna be the go to for cellphone purchases, pad purchases and desktop computer purchases. They are compatible with every known MP3 playing device available. FLAC doesn't have a place in any of that. No Justin Bieber purchasing smartphone user is gonna want FLAC, and no MP3 device can play it.

Because the Stones partnered with an MP3 powerhouse you will need to search elsewhere for the FLAC.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 18, 2011 21:25

ghostryder13

Because we've gotten enough flak for things as it is, and because we got a '78 tour.

It also could be that this is how Android/google/whomever is trying to start their competition to itunes, with a standard low bar of 320 mp3s for their downloading/streaming/storage services. As long as we're nice to our buddies here on IORR, you'll find a way to get some flac (OR some flak, if you prefer!).

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: November 18, 2011 21:33

hi,I got it on flax,converted it to wav,burned it to a decent disc and I'm listening to it now,loud.brilliant crystal clear and different than the early show.all for 9 dollars.its the dogs bollox.roll on further shows

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 21:34

Bought it - sounds great. Can't wait for the next one.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 18, 2011 22:08

I don't know if I've downloaded some other file, but it only sounds like a bootleg. Actually worse than what I already had. The clearness in the sound is not there. Gimme Shelter had a very poor mix and I'm not impressed by Taylor's sound.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 18, 2011 22:37

Bärs
Actually worse than what I already had.

In that case, yes, you definitely did something wrong.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 18, 2011 22:44

Rolling Hansie
Bärs

Yes, I bought it. What a disappointment.

Every new Stones releas since SW sound like shit, studio or live album, except for Stripped and what I heard on YT of the Texas 1978 show. It's also now clear to me that the 1972-73 period is grossly overrated compared to 1969 and 1978-1981.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 18, 2011 22:53

Bärs
Rolling Hansie
Bärs

Every new Stones releas since SW sound like shit, studio or live album, except for Stripped and what I heard on YT of the Texas 1978 show. It's also now clear to me that the 1972-73 period is grossly overrated compared to 1969 and 1978-1981.

Wow

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2011 22:55

Bärs
I don't know if I've downloaded some other file, but it only sounds like a bootleg. Actually worse than what I already had. The clearness in the sound is not there. Gimme Shelter had a very poor mix and I'm not impressed by Taylor's sound.

Could you perhaps post a sample of your superior version for us? Maybe that way we can listen to it and see if we should go with that version and dump this mediocre recording we got for 5 bucks. Thanks.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 18, 2011 23:01

Bärs
Rolling Hansie
Bärs

Take a nap.

Date: November 18, 2011 23:06

Simply listen to you already have and you'll notice that this new mix is way too loud. The groove, smoothness, clearness, space and Taylors tone is not there. It's like ABB. Loud, murky and sterile.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 18, 2011 23:21

You have a very special ear. Out of the hundreds of posts I've read on this and other boards (which include serious audiophiles) about this release...I haven't come across one post putting down the mix.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 18, 2011 23:40

Bärs

Hmmm...

1. Mixed from multi-track.

2. Prepared and mastered by Bob Clearmountain

3. No Dynamic Compression (!!)

4. Every instrument is balanced. When there is a solo you hear the instrument more prominently

5. Best official live show ever (until now)

Listen again.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home