Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

respected author GREIL MARCUS slags KEITH's book...
Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: November 17, 2011 09:07

from a link of the expectingrain.com homepage to a tampa bay paper interview promoting the new DOORS book by Greil...

One of the things that makes Marcus' response to music and literature so refreshing is its unpredictability. For example, unlike just about everyone else, he is no fan of Keith Richards' as-told-to-James-Fox memoir, Life.

"I was really disappointed," he said. "It was a terrible slog for me. I found it a tremendously dishonest book in a lot of ways. I thought all the stuff about his disdain for Mick Jagger rang completely false. It read like something that was cooked up to give the book some controversy."

Re: respected author GREIL MARCUS slags KEITH's book...
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:03

Greil Marcus: Never So Utterly Fake

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 17, 2011 10:31

Greil Marcus is right IMO. Keith's book is crap.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 17, 2011 13:48

terraplane

Greil Marcus is wrong IMO. Keith's book is great.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 17, 2011 14:04

Greil Marcus hasn't read the interviews Keith has been giving to the press since 1985 because most of the criticism Keef shits on Mick in "Life" had already been said or printed prior to the book's publication.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 17, 2011 14:28

Braincapers
terraplane

Keith's book is crap
It's funny to watch as Richards tries to fix the situation. He tells now how Mick is good at this or that. There is no doubt that all of his anti-Jagger rhetoric in interviews and in the book draws attention to his person, because he does not believe that anyone can be that interesting in him apart from Jagger.
And this is KR's main problem - persistence of adolescent complexes.

Date: November 17, 2011 14:31

There is no situation to fix.

He says in his book that Mick is good at this and that, just as he is saying now. No difference there.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 17, 2011 15:00

proudmary
Braincapers
terraplane

Keith's book is crap
It's funny to watch as Richards tries to fix the situation. He tells now how Mick is good at this or that. There is no doubt that all of his anti-Jagger rhetoric in interviews and in the book draws attention to his person, because he does not believe that anyone can be that interesting in him apart from Jagger.
And this is KR's main problem - persistence of adolescent complexes.

It´s one the greatest rock n roll books ever. Dont blame the book for media reactions. If the press dont pay any attention to all the positive things that Keith says about Mick in his book - the problem is in the media, - Keef says in his book that Mick is good at this and that, - it´s been totally ignored in the press, - just like what Keef´s been saying on recent interviews, Mick is a great singer, lyricist, etc..There´s nothing in Keef´s book that he hasnt been saying in interviews for years - and nothing that Mick hasnt heard before. I dont think theres any probleam, i dont even know what the big fuzz is all about.

Besides - I think respected ( where is he respected ? ) author GREIL MARCUS has taken the " Stones are old farts, they should have died years ago" attitude, cause it´s clear that Marcus has no respect for Keef´s career...

by the way, who the hell is Greil Marcus, anyway ?

Why should anyone care what some yuppie hack says in some tampax bay toilet paper interview, when he is using the Stones fame to promote some stupid DOORS book.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-17 15:14 by seitan.

Date: November 17, 2011 15:23

Greil Marcus expressed his opinion. Good for him. Whether he loved it or hated it, at least he displayed integrity in being honest. He's also written plenty of great articles for Rolling Stone for a few decades now and a number of excellent liner notes for various reissues.

Date: November 17, 2011 15:36

DandelionPowderman

He says in his book that Mick is good at this and that, just as he is saying now. No difference there.

no, the situation must be corrected because telling many years in a row that Jagger is actually the hypocritical, corrupt, narcissistic tiny shit harmed not only Jagger but the Stones.
now KR has to say "Mick's rebelliousness is fantastic" only to return the remains of respect for the Stones and their legacy

Date: November 17, 2011 15:46

proudmary
DandelionPowderman

no, the situation must be corrected because telling many years in a row that Jagger is actually the hypocritical, corrupt, narcissistic tiny shit harmed not only Jagger but the Stones.

How ? How did it harm ? Did the Stones lose their fan base - I dont think so, come on...it´s not that serious, and I´m sure mr Jagger can take a joke, if he doesnt..then he is a "tiny shit"- but no matter what Brenda thinks, people are still going to buy the next stones ticket or CD...

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: November 17, 2011 16:27

I have to say I agree with Mr. Marcus. Keith's book isn't a biography of Keith Richards the man, it's the semi-fictitious ramblings of Keef Richards the cartoon. In real life Keith is an aging, English family man who has seen some great things, has ammassed a fortune and who once upon a time had a special talent. Why he would choose to portray himself as a hip, gun-totting blues cat with an American accent, talking about 'bitches', 'flick knives' and 'the cops' is beyond me. A reflection on his love of music would have been much more interesting than the constant posing and acting out the character of Keef. All very embarrassing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-17 16:27 by iamthedj.

Date: November 17, 2011 16:35

iamthedj
I have to say I agree with Mr. Marcus. Keith's book isn't a biography of Keith Richards the man, it's the semi-fictitious ramblings of Keef Richards the cartoon. In real life Keith is an aging, English family man who has seen some great things, has ammassed a fortune and who once upon a time had a special talent. Why he would choose to portray himself as a hip, gun-totting blues cat with an American accent, talking about 'bitches', 'flick knives' and 'the cops' is beyond me. A reflection on his love of music would have been much more interesting than the constant posing and acting out the character of Keef. All very embarrassing.

Didn't it cross your mind that he actually lived like that for a while, and that this has a natural place in his autobiography?

The family guy-thing is also well covered. Look up the saussages-cooking chapter, for instance.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: November 17, 2011 16:40

I'm not saying he didn't live like that for a while, I'm saying that it was never him. I could move to America and speak with a fake accent and pretend I'm an outlaw but that would also be fake. It would become a part of my life I reflected on and think 'What was I thinking?' Mark my words Keith at home alone with family speaks with an English accent and doesn't behave like Keef.

Date: November 17, 2011 16:41

proudmary
DandelionPowderman

now KR has to say "Mick's rebelliousness is fantastic" only to return the remains of respect for the Stones and their legacy

Lots of the stuff you are taking literarily are J. O. K. E. S.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 17, 2011 16:46

I've always found Greil's over-intellectualisation of rock'n'roll to be a tad pretentious. Rock'n'roll comes from the gut. Sure, you can read all manner of interpretations into it but we're not dealing with the same calibre as Shakespeare, Goethe and Voltaire for Christ's sake.

Date: November 17, 2011 16:52

DandelionPowderman
proudmary
DandelionPowderman

I agree, - what´s a matter with people - joke is a joke - nothing more and nothing less, - I mean really, think about - would million dollar biz end just becouse some guitar player said that the singer has a small penis...Do you really think that something as silly as that would break up a rock band with all kinds of million dollar investments goin around it. Jagger is an adult - he´s not gonna cry over Keiths silly comments.

Date: November 17, 2011 16:55

DandelionPowderman
proudmary
DandelionPowderman

In this case I am glad that he decided to start talking seriously.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: November 17, 2011 16:55

DandelionPowderman

Really? If somebody said the most insulting things about you (not to you!) for over 25 years, would you still think it´s funny and laugh about it?

Date: November 17, 2011 17:00

elunsi
DandelionPowderman

Really? If somebody said the most insulting things about you (not to you!) for over 25 years, would you still think it´s funny and laugh about it?

Yep, considering it was my friend, and that I'd be allowed to do the same to him - which certainly is the case here (that means taking the 80s conflict aside, which in fact WAS serious).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2011 22:13

Mystery Train is like an education ya could lend it to ya kids and
they'll come back grown-up but Invisible even had old Zimmerman
askin'.... Where did that all come from?.....the discography part was best...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:16

Rockman
but Invisible even had old Zimmerman
askin'.... Where did that all come from?........

Hey Rockee can you translate that please? thx.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:35

but Invisible (Invisible Republic-Greil Marcus) even had old Zimmerman
(Bob Dylan) askin'.... Where did that all come from?........

How's that Naturalust ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2011 00:53

Rockman
but Invisible (Invisible Republic-Greil Marcus) even had old Zimmerman
(Bob Dylan) askin'.... Where did that all come from?........

How's that Naturalust ????

Thanks Rockman, I get the feeling you got alot of music knowledge in that mind of yours. Some of us have some catching up to do. peace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home