Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Billy Joel songs ranked
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 10, 2017 20:34

Don't get his appeal to this day, but that's life. I know there are a number of Joel fans here. Here's his opinion of his best songs and someone else's. Whatcha y'all think?

[www.vulture.com]

[www.vulture.com]

Re: OT: Billy Joel songs ranked
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 10, 2017 20:45

It a stupid list, saw it forever ago. Big fan of his though and do think he has great albums. I guess I've always got why people don't like him. There is an element to him, but I really do think his 70s output is excellent, with a pretty strong 80s output as well making for a good career. I know its a weird sticking point with fans, but I've always applauded him for "ending" his studio output. Yeah its nice to have new music, but largely the artists don't care about it and there's maybe a hidden gem or two in them when largely the rest is forgettable. He's upfront about being lazy (I am too so I relate), probably not being able to top his previous work, and largely wasting people's time when they want the hits. I don't agree with all of it, but hell how can you argue with him when you've seen what he's accomplished in the last 10 years. Its what people want. Why put effort into new music when you're gonna abandon it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2017 21:48

I'm reminded of a story the wife of actor Tony Randall related in an interview:

One day he came home and said, 'Do you know somebody named Billy Joel? He approached me on the street and said he was a big fan. He acted like I should know him.' And I'm like, 'You idiot!'"

Here's the lyrics to a Billy Joel song not many people know about. Think of Bobby Gentry's hit Ode To Billy Joe as you read them:

Ode To Billy Joel

It was the 3rd of June another sooty smoggy Brooklyn day
I was upstairs chopping cocaine, my brother was smoking a J
I hollered down to my mama, can you tell me what's for dinner please?
She said we might go to the Peking Palace, get some take-out Chinese
And then she said I heard some news this morning when I was in Bay Ridge
They say that Billy Joel jumped off the Verrazano-Narrows
bridge

Do you remember when Billy sang Only the Good Die Young?
Papa said "If that was true he'd be here alive, pass the egg foo yung"
And Mama said "I really liked him with Liza Minelli in that movie Cabaret"
I said, "Mama that wasn't Billy Joel, that was Joel Gray"
She said, "That's right, we saw that at the cinema in Bay
Ridge...so who's the hell's this Billy Joel who jumped
off the Verrazano bridge?"

Well, Papa hardly touched his egg roll, he wasn't feeling up to par
I said Dad that's OK, I love you just the way you are
I said I met that new rabbi Jacob Goldstein in the streets today
He asked, why weren't you in temple on Saturday--oh by the way
He said he saw a man who looked a lot like you, Papa, up in Bay Ridge
And he and Billy Joel were throwing someone off the Verazzano bridge

A year has come and gone since we heard the news 'bout Billy Joel
The music scene has changed, there's a new trend in rock and roll
It seems that making that big splash has been one of the latest things
Oops, there goes Paul McCartney--guess he forgot his Wings
And now there's Elton, Rod, and Mick giving farewell concerts at Bay Ridge
And now papa's scalping tickets all along the Verazzano bridge

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 10, 2017 22:07

He's a great songwriter, but never had a good band or a producer who could put together a good band for him.
But still a great catalog.
I heard he was disappointed with the response to Nylon Curtain (he thought people were only interested in his singles and didn't give his album a chance) and it took a lot out of him.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:01

wonderboy
He's a great songwriter, but never had a good band or a producer who could put together a good band for him.

I disagree...his core band of Liberty DeVitto (drums) Russell Javors (guitar), Doug Stegmeyer (bass), Richie Cannata (sax/keyboards), plus later additions David Brown (guitar) and Cannata's replacement Mark Rivera were together from around 1975 until the late '80s, playing on all his classic albums. I saw them several times - they were an excellent live band.

And, IMHO, Phil Ramone did a great job as producer, from "The Stranger" (1977) thru "The Bridge" (1986)...again covering all his classic albums.

Date: January 10, 2017 23:14

Jah Paul
wonderboy

I disagree...his core band of Liberty DeVitto (drums) Russell Javors (guitar), Doug Stegmeyer (bass), Richie Cannata (sax/keyboards), plus later additions David Brown (guitar) and Cannata's replacement Mark Rivera were together from around 1975 until the late '80s, playing on all his classic albums. I saw them several times - they were an excellent live band.

And, IMHO, Phil Ramone did a great job as producer, from "The Stranger" (1977) thru "The Bridge" (1986)...again covering all his classic albums.

I'll listen for this again, but most of his songs I get the feeling they could be better if the instrumentation was better. 'Glass Houses' sounded very thin at the time, some of it just sounds like demos.

Date: January 10, 2017 23:18

Stones talking point: Joel once told Howard Stern he wrote the song 'Big Shot' after having dinner with Mick and Bianca. He pictured Mick singing it to Bianca.
Later he said it was really about him.

Date: January 10, 2017 23:19

Jah Paul
wonderboy

Totally. To many of us that Billy Joel Band (they didn't have a name but the guys he mentioned, and Steve Kahn on guitar are very fiery and as much a part of those albums as anything) and Phil Ramone are key to Billy's career. Just an agree to disagree scenario, but I totally think he had a killer band and excellent producer.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:20

Billy Joel -- a New York thing as far as I can tell. I never met anybody outside Long Island who liked him.

Date: January 10, 2017 23:27

i was hoping "scenes from an italian restaurant" was #1 and i was right. what a great song

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:27

Pietro
Billy Joel -- a New York thing as far as I can tell. I never met anybody outside Long Island who liked him.

Speaking only for myself, you have now. I've never lived on Long Island and I've enjoyed his music for decades. Wish I had been healthy enough to attend the show I had tickets for back in the 80's.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:32

Pietro
That's a really ignorant statement to make. 150 million records sold worldwide.

Date: January 10, 2017 23:33

Pietro

Not that he needs to be defended, but just saying he's sold out 4 stadiums every summer for 4 consecutive summers. So while you may not like him, and I don't really care one way or the other, its just plainly wrong that you've never met anyone outside of Long Island that does. That means either you live in NY and never left or you know plenty of Billy fans. Again, just the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-10 23:36 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 10, 2017 23:35

keefriffhard4life
i was hoping "scenes from an italian restaurant" was #1 and i was right. what a great song

I haven't actually looked at the list, but was happy to see your post... If "Scenes..." isn't my favorite Billy Joel tune, it's only because my other favorites of "You May Be Right", "Only the Good Die Young", and "The Entertainer" could all be 1a, 1b, 1c & 1d. I've also got a sentimental soft spot in my ears/heart for "The Longest Time".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 11, 2017 00:00

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life

I haven't actually looked at the list, but was happy to see your post... If "Scenes..." isn't my favorite Billy Joel tune, it's only because my other favorites of "You May Be Right", "Only the Good Die Young", and "The Entertainer" could all be 1a, 1b, 1c & 1d. I've also got a sentimental soft spot in my ears/heart for "The Longest Time".

Peace,
Mr DJA

"Scenes..." is my favorite as well, followed by "Vienna", "Summer, Highland Falls", "I've Loved These Days", and "Rosalinda's Eyes" - guess that's my top five. Over the years, I think "The Nylon Curtain" has emerged as my favorite album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2017 01:10

His music is a bit tame and mellow for my liking, but no denying he's a great songwriter.
Heard Piano Man on the radio earlier - great lyrics, an all time classic.thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2017 01:56

BJ is great...loved his take of beast of burden last year on Jimmy Fallon...a duet with him if memory serves.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2017 04:28

keefriffhard4life

Really? That song is hard on my ears, I can't listen to it, terrible. And never liked BJ much, to me his songwriting is pretty poor.

Oh, and his awful singing voice ... does he even sing? It seems he just talks loudly in most of his sounds.

Date: January 11, 2017 05:26

LeonidP
keefriffhard4life

Really? That song is hard on my ears, I can't listen to it, terrible. And never liked BJ much, to me his songwriting is pretty poor.

Oh, and his awful singing voice ... does he even sing? It seems he just talks loudly in most of his sounds.

smiling smiley... I can't do no Billy Joel. At any time of day.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 11, 2017 06:14

I love Billy Joel...And so do a lot of other people as he is the #6 best selling artist in history in America. Not bad considering the guy hasn’t put out a new record since 1993.

Artists that Billy Joel has outsold...Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, U2 and did I mention The Rolling Stones?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-11 06:15 by James Kirk.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 11, 2017 06:35

Listen...Billy Joel is the American song book...at least from a New York prospective...he doesn't have the greatest voice but neither does Mick Jagger or Bruce Springsteen...and that's the secret or the obvious observation to their successes...that your audience can sing along to your songs.

My Top Five with No Order because I couldn't care as a Stones fan:

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
You May Be Right
Honesty
Big Shot
It's Still Rock N' Roll To Me

Pecman

Date: January 11, 2017 06:47

Jah Paul
mr_dja
keefriffhard4life

Peace,
Mr DJA

"Scenes..." is my favorite as well, followed by "Vienna", "Summer, Highland Falls", "I've Loved These Days", and "Rosalinda's Eyes" - guess that's my top five. Over the years, I think "The Nylon Curtain" has emerged as my favorite album.

"scenes..." to me is just the ultimate joel song and sums him up in just 1 song

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 11, 2017 06:59

Never cared for his voice but pretty good guitarist for being a pianist. And Glass Houses was a good album.

Date: January 11, 2017 08:00

Pecman
Listen...Billy Joel is the American song book...at least from a New York prospective...he doesn't have the greatest voice but neither does Mick Jagger or Bruce Springsteen...and that's the secret or the obvious observation to their successes...that your audience can sing along to your songs.

My Top Five with No Order because I couldn't care as a Stones fan:

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
You May Be Right
Honesty
Big Shot
It's Still Rock N' Roll To Me

Pecman
He's also a GREAT showman, and very funny and honest both onstage and in interviews. He's a treasure.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 11, 2017 17:34

I have actually never owned a record by him. Still, that does not take away the fact that he is a great songwriter. His 'style' and the production is maybe a bit too slick for my liking, but there are great tunes, melodies and performances, no matter what. He is one of those artists that are good for personal playlists on Spotify.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 11, 2017 18:06

Pietro

I agree. People in NYC don't get out much. If this is their favorite that's pretty sad.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 11, 2017 18:19

What a great singer/songwriter and performer .I had the luxury of attending one of his shows in 2008 and what a special evening of all HITS nonstop from start to finish over 2 and half hours of hits .The piano man delivers !!!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 11, 2017 18:28

Um I don't live in NYC and like Joel. He has sold way more albums to account for just NYC! Very talented artist. I do wish he would try his hand at writing again. He puts on a great show.

Date: January 11, 2017 19:06

whitem8
Um I don't live in NYC and like Joel. He has sold way more albums to account for just NYC! Very talented artist. I do wish he would try his hand at writing again. He puts on a great show.
At this point, there is zero chance he'll ever write a song again. It's been 24 years since River of Dreams...if he hasn't had the urge by now, it'll never happen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 11, 2017 19:29

keefriff99
whitem8
At this point, there is zero chance he'll ever write a song again. It's been 24 years since River of Dreams...if he hasn't had the urge by now, it'll never happen.

Maybe he'll record and release a blues covers album?

Can't imagine a creative artist not working to bring something new to the world - even if it's just for himself, his family, and/or his friends.
I'm sure he writes all the time, but keeps it away from the public.

Maybe a duets album will inspire him...w/Elton, Celine Dion, and other musicians in his style.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home