Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: its only rock and roll---the Album
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 15, 2011 19:20

Doxa
1. "If You Can't Rock Me":smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smiley Early sign of "by numbers".

You could maybe say this about the whole album, but an excellently apt description of IYCRM.

Several classic tracks make this an important Stones album to me:

IORR : The "woo-yeah" Jagger does before the little three-note KR solo, and the solo itself, still make me jump up and vigoursly shake the booty.

TWFNO : The MT tone and vibrato!! make the song

Shortn Curlies: Love the MT slide

I could do without the ballads and Fingerprint File's faux-funk makes me cringe.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 15, 2011 19:58

The ONLY true defect in IORR, if we want to find one, is that at the time it was released most of its songs had a similar one already existing in the Stones catalog.

Rocks Off is one of the best album openers ever, but it is a Rocks Off pt. 2. The ballads could all have been released on GHS. Same for Fingerprint file. Curlies is very Exileish. Etc.

The production itself is very classic rock. Somehow conservative.

I am quite sure that the title has very much to do with Jagger's reaction to those who considered the album a "conservative" one.

But at the end of the day, he was right, it ALL is only rock and roll, and that is what most people like.

C

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: November 15, 2011 20:26

My favorite cover

-TomR

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 15, 2011 23:46

great album!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 15, 2011 23:54

Any gear people know the guitar effects boxes that were used on this album? I remember reading in a magazine at the time that Richards and Taylor were using "black boxes". Mathijs?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 00:16

It's not "The Godfather", maybe "Serpico". Both great, one more epic.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 16, 2011 00:34

stupidguy2

Using the Al Pacino movie scale you could rate a lot of Stones albums.

Exile = Dog Day Afternoon.

Dirty Work = Author! Author!

etc.

The famous photo of the Stones in drag used for the Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby picture sleeve was taken by Jerry Schatzberg, who later directed Pacino in "Panic In Needle Park" (Now that's a title of a Stones album!) and "Scarecrow."

But as far as the IORR album. Compared to Sticky or Exile, it sounds like it was recorded with a blanket over the mics.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 16, 2011 01:56

liddas

I am quite sure that the title has very much to do with Jagger's reaction to those who considered the album a "conservative" one.

You've lost me, liddas. How could he have chosen the title after people had listened to and reviewed it? confused smiley

Date: November 16, 2011 02:05

loog droog
stupidguy2

etc.

The famous photo of the Stones in drag used for the Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby picture sleeve was taken by Jerry Schatzberg, who later directed Pacino in "Panic In Needle Park" (Now that's a title of a Stones album!) and "Scarecrow."

Sticky Fingers = The Godfather
Exile = Godfather II
ABB = Godfather III

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2011 02:11

buttons67
its a very good album and underrated like so many others, obviously compared with the big 4, again my opinion is that if that album had been recorded by another musician it would be hailed as one of thier best, but not the stones.

Yes...a bad album, is a bad album.

This though, is not a bad album, by a very long shot.

Date: November 16, 2011 03:34

I agree with GetYerAngie, who agrees with Edward twining, who agrees with Doxa. Mainly the point about the sum of it's parts. That is very clever: yes IORR's individual songs are pretty good, but the overall album has no fire; no the kind of identity where you go "Oh Yeah! That album!"

Again with the could-have-beens, but imagine Drift Away instead of "Luxury", and "Thru the Lonely Nights" in place of "Short & Curlies".

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:48

The album has two brilliant songs (TWFNO and Fingerprint File) and two that are merely good (Luxury and the title track). The others are "Meh".

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: November 16, 2011 04:38

Fingerprint File is a perfect 10/10 smoking faces for me.

Really dig: the title track, If You Really Want to Be My Friend, If You Can't Rock Me, and Short and Curlies.

I'll be in the minority when I say I don't ever listen to Time Waits for No One or Till the Next Goodbye.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 16, 2011 05:36

A solid B-plus album. Better than underdirty, or anything post wyman.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 05:46

loog droog
stupidguy2

etc.

But as far as the IORR album. Compared to Sticky or Exile, it sounds like it was recorded with a blanket over the mics.

You know, I thought about "Author, Author" in reference to IORR because I was trying to think of a sort marking-time analogy. I enjoyed "Author, Author" - it was lighthearted, light and happy. Not a classic, but I have an affection for it.
Panic in Needle Park was also a thought, as a good film, but not epic - but its too dreary and depressing.
I think IORR is better than both those analogies.
Serpico was good, had depth and deserves a place in the Pacino pantheon.
DDA is Exile, you are correct. My favorite Pacino and that was my first thought, butThe Godfather was a cultural phenom, so Exile fit that.
I'd have to say "Dirty Work" would be "Bobby Deerfield" - just a lifeless dud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 05:48 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:41

Palace Revolution 2000
I agree with GetYerAngie, who agrees with Edward twining, who agrees with Doxa. Mainly the point about the sum of it's parts. That is very clever: yes IORR's individual songs are pretty good, but the overall album has no fire; no the kind of identity where you go "Oh Yeah! That album!"

Again with the could-have-beens, but imagine Drift Away instead of "Luxury", and "Thru the Lonely Nights" in place of "Short & Curlies".[/[/b]quote]

That is an excellent point. And what of Save Me?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 06:53

What is the Stones equivalent of "Revolution" then? The Hugh Hudson film with Pacino. A complete embarrassment.

Luxury is one of my favorite Stones songs. The ballads on this album, not so much. TWFNO is okay but the other two are so mid 70's smooth like Quiet Storm type of stuff. And the opener is weak for the second album in a row.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 16, 2011 07:13

what I love about Fingerprint File is that it was even better live.....still wonder why they didn't play it during the ABB tour.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 16, 2011 07:19

liddas
The ONLY true defect in IORR, if we want to find one, is that at the time it was released most of its songs had a similar one already existing in the Stones catalog.

Rocks Off is one of the best album openers ever, but it is a Rocks Off pt. 2. The ballads could all have been released on GHS. Same for Fingerprint file. Curlies is very Exileish. Etc.

The production itself is very classic rock. Somehow conservative.

But at the end of the day, he was right, it ALL is only rock and roll, and that is what most people like.

But what about Luxury? that doesn't sound like anything from before.

C

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 16, 2011 07:38

This LP's never been one of my favourites. Still some good tunes innit.

My song rating (3=always listen, 2=almost every time I listen, 1=mainly everytime I skip, 0=almost never listen).

1. If You Can't Rock Me = 3 (brilliant opener)
2. Ain't Too Proud To Beg = 0
3. IORR = 2
4. Till The Next Goodbye = 1
5. Time Waits For No One = 2 (beautiful song)
6. Luxury = 3 (great riff)
7. Dance Little Sister = 1 (I prefer the bootleg version)
8. If You Really... = 0 (just boring)
9. Short And Curlies = 1
10.Fingerprint File = 3 (the slower bootleg version is better but this faster is nice too)

Average = 1.6 which gives place number 20 on the list of 22 UK studio albums.
Only ABB and DW are worse than this.

Date: November 16, 2011 07:42

Single Malt

My song rating (3=always listen, 2=almost every time I listen, 1=mainly everytime I skip, 0=almost never listen).

3. IORR = 2
9. Short And Curlies = 1
10.Fingerprint File = 3 (the slower bootleg version is better but this faster is nice too)

Black & Blue is worse. Undercover is worse. So are BTB, Voodoo and ABB, for my money.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 16, 2011 08:26

My 8-track of IORR always sounded better than the vinyl, due to the time constraints per side regarding LPs. Then again maybe the mix was meant to be that way. It definitely should be remixed/remastered to give it a bit more EQ on the high end. To me, all the albums I have that were recorded at Musicland have a kind of an odd sound, at least to my ears.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 16, 2011 09:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Again with the could-have-beens, but imagine Drift Away instead of "Luxury", and "Thru the Lonely Nights" in place of "Short & Curlies".

I wouldn't kick "Luxury" out but would have put "Drift Away" instead of "Ain't Too Proud"... It would have been a very "rock and roll" theme to start the album: "If You Can't Rock Me", "Drift Away", "IORR"...

"Thru The Lonely Nights" is a fine song but there are alraedy three slow ballads in the album.. I would proably replaced "If You Really Want to Be My Friend" with it, even though I am afraid that "Lonely Nights" would not have worked very well asa an album track; it is bit too long, 'slow', and undramatic. It wouldn't have made the album much better, if at all.

Now when I think of the album it starts to sound like that they only worked hard to make the A-side work, and leave the B-side to fillers. The B-side is probably among the weakest sides they ever have done. At the time I listened vinyl albums, that's the one I think I listened less than any else. Altogether, the miracle that happened to GOATS HEAD SOUP, BLACK & BLUE, and EMOTIONAL RESCUE - after years neglected and judged b-rate albums by me (and many else), and then rediscovered almost as lost treasures, never happened to IORR. Probably much is to do with the terrible production - it doesn't exactly invite to re-examine the content. Also IORR seems to neglect that certain identity the other "b-rate albums" seem to have. There is not anything typical IORR-sounding songs but most of the stuff are just recicling old ideas they had done better before.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 09:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 16, 2011 09:23

Why deal with the tracks on a pretty descent album...I know another album that wouldn't have lost it's face with a litte changin of the tracks...Dirty Work...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 16, 2011 11:13

Yes, 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' does very much lack an identity of its own. 'Goats Head Soup' shares at times 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll's lack of focus, yet the album has a very identifiable sort of melancholic feel also, which tends to mark the album out as being distinctly different from what had gone before. The Jagger-Taylor collaboration perhaps is the key to 'Goats Head Soup's superiority, because an increased role by Taylor does tend to show the Stones finding a slightly new perspective. However, there is little doubt in my mind that the 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' album's lack of focus does actually begin on 'Goats Head Soup'. Once Keith becomes a little more visible on 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll', however, the cliche riffs become ever more apparent, and a feeling that the Stones are just going through the motions becomes ever more obvious. It is true, the Stones-by-numbers approach does start big time on 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll'. 'If You Can't Rock Me', 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg', 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' title track, 'Dance Little Sister' are the Stones treading water, so to speak, and when they do try something a little different, as with the ballads 'Till The Next Goodbye' and 'If You Really Want To Be My Friend', they also seem pretty shallow and lacking in conviction. They are almost becoming a cabaret version of what they were just a year or two earlier, such is the lack of genuine inspiration. 'Luxury' is an exception however, as it is perhaps the Stones first attempt to adopt a carribbean sound (aside from Jagger's vocal on 'Sweet Black Angel'), and while that doesn't really extend further than Jagger's afro carribbean vocal, the song is a departure of sorts, and pretty refreshing too. 'Fingerprint File' is interesting and also a departure, but it doesn't really work too successfully for me. By the time of 'Black And Blue' the Stones would become less formulaic within their sound, and certainly where those recycled riffs were concerned. The Stones immersion in contemporary black sounds (funk etc.) also lacked a little in terms of conviction, but there was a renewal of sorts, within the way the Stones were expressing themselves, which seemed to halt the Stones-by-numbers mentality found on 'It's Only Rock 'N' Roll' with perhaps only the merest hint on 'Crazy Mama'.

Date: November 16, 2011 11:42

71Tele
Single Malt

3. IORR = 2
9. Short And Curlies = 1

Black & Blue is worse. Undercover is worse. So are BTB, Voodoo and ABB, for my money.

For me, the fresh songs on Undercover are way better than most of the songs on IORR. IYCRM and FF are the exceptions. The best tracks on Black And Blue (Hand Of Fate, Hey Negrita, Memory Motel) are imo better than the best stuff on IORR.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 16, 2011 12:03

DandelionPowderman

The best tracks on Black And Blue (Hand Of Fate, Hey Negrita, Memory Motel) are imo better than the best stuff on IORR.[/quote]

interesting thought, you are probably right. Black and blue is a better album, its more up to date, focused and better material and production is really great. However, If you cant rock me, iorr, Time waits, are great and Dance little sister too. Aint too proud to beg was a perfect cover. Black and blue is a whole lot more sophisticated thats for sure.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 16, 2011 12:07

Gazza
liddas

You've lost me, liddas. How could he have chosen the title after people had listened to and reviewed it? confused smiley

Agree that what I wrote - as it is written - doesn't make sense! In any case, for "people", I was referring to all the insiders involved in the production (engineers, friends, distributors etc.)

C

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 16, 2011 12:09

Their weakest studio album in the 70's, love the title track and fingerprint file is ok but that's about it. TWFNO and Til the next goodbye are cringe worthy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 16, 2011 12:10

Yeah - to continue the theme discussed by Edward Twining - by the mid-70's they probaly emptied they pockets of certain riff-based rockers they had mastered in EXILE. GOATS HEAD SOUP only has "Star Sar" which is a kind of cartoon version of traditional berry-rocker. IORR they try to get there again but with non-inspired results, a'la "If You Can't Rock Me" and "Dance Little Sister". By contrast, they seemed to leave that deprtment out in BLACK & BLUE and try to find new tricks. "Crazy Mama" belong to still that category even though they have a new big 'fattier' and 'deeper' sound. Another and certainly better example is "Hand of Fate" where they sound actually mature and fresh. It has a certain depthness in it a s a rocker. More 'black and blue', actually. Funnily, it has a distinctive Tayloresque solo Taylor himself never had room to shine in studio... I wonder if they really did that in purpose to show Taylor and everyone else that his place can be easily filled if they feel like....

Now comparing IORR and B&B they are interesting albums showing the band at cross-roads. There are some elements of the future in IORR, such as teh funkiness of "Fingerprint File", the ryhthm experients of "Luxury" to find a new groove, etc but those are not really stressed much but instead the album relies heavily on the old tricks, and like still trying to milk out whatever they can from their old sounds of which they had made masterpieces just a few yaers ago (and for eaxmple, they perfected the ballad section of that style in GHS). In B&B those new experiments are in front, and the old style is just in the marginal. The opening track is a statement of the new groove, and the heavy ballads are not made to please teenager hearts, but sound full and mature. The contrast of Jagger, in terms of song delivery and tone, of IORR and B&B is a huge one. Now in hindsight one could say that Jagger shows in IORR early signs of formulaic 'peter pan' nasal delivery he has been famous since the late 80's. In B&B those are gone, and a new matured voice is present. In SOME GIRLS he found totally a new spark to his voice.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 12:19 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home