Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Jigsaw Puzzle
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 9, 2019 00:49

NICOS
Beggars doesn't have any weak tracks.

You are so right NICOS.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 9, 2019 01:06

well to each his own, of course

lyrics to me are 3rd rate scattershot pseudo-psychedelic dylan -- really, 20,000 grandmas wave their hankies in the air? this is only marginally better than them 4,000 holes in blackburn lancashire.

and musically i find it just whines on and on with a plodding repetitiveness that sucks the life outta ya

it just got no SOUL

Date: May 9, 2019 01:17

LazarusSmith
well to each his own, of course

lyrics to me are 3rd rate scattershot pseudo-psychedelic dylan -- really, 20,000 grandmas wave their hankies in the air? this is only marginally better than them 4,000 holes in blackburn lancashire.
and musically i find it just whines on and on with a plodding repetitiveness that sucks the life outta ya
it just got no SOUL

I disagree on your entire post except for the to each his own part. I especially disagree on the part about having no soul!
As for lyrics, i like both of the lines you posted. I mean sure they're not as poetic as these tasty, heartfelt lines, but what is really?

I was a hooker losing her looks
I was a writer can't write another book
I was all dried up dying to get wet
I was a tycoon drowning in debt, I said

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 9, 2019 01:20

One of my favorites when I was new to listening to Stones albums. I used to listen to Side 2 of BB first, and Jigsaw coming at the end of Side 1 was a great fadeout.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2019 01:21

…… Geez Lazarus …. maybe ya should buy a ticket
to the next Port-Fairy Folk Festival and suck-out what life's left in ya … HHHhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2019 01:31

Rockman
…… Geez Lazarus …. maybe ya should buy a ticket
to the next Port-Fairy Folk Festival and suck-out what life's left in ya … HHHhaaaaa

googled this and don't know what it is but sounds cool

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 9, 2019 01:35

It's not any worse than "Goin' Home," another overly-long, repetitive song from the Brian Jones era. At least the lyrics are more ambitious than that song.

Date: May 9, 2019 01:38

….. well there ya go Lazarus… your a folkie at heart ….
The things one can learn here on IORR … I wonder if The Weavers have a chat site …

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2019 01:44

Rockman
….. well there ya go Lazarus… your a folkie at heart ….
The things one can learn here on IORR … I wonder if The Weavers have a chat site …

i DO like folk music rockinman

like this

Elizabeth Cotten - FREIGHT TRAIN

will she be at Port-Fairy?

Date: May 9, 2019 01:49

..... something tells me she wont be ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2019 01:53

Rockman

that's a cryin shame

shit man that chick coulda played the @#$%& outta jigsaw puzzle

Date: May 9, 2019 02:25

LazarusSmith
Rockman

that's a cryin shame

shit man that chick coulda played the @#$%& outta jigsaw puzzle

give it a bit of that much needed soul? lol

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 9, 2019 02:38

love this song watching on youtube, loud with headphones, glass of beer in hand.

its one of the most underrated songs ever.

love the build up, as it speeds and gets louder, jaggers voice getting more animated, bass and guitar slide are superb with drums complimenting
always loved this since i first heard in 1989.

lyrics fit in well, some of the best they have done.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 9, 2019 06:01

CindyC
wow - surprised to see any hate here. It's perfect IMHO.

Most importantly, great to see ya back Cindy C!!!

Date: May 9, 2019 06:24

J.J.Flash
CindyC
wow - surprised to see any hate here. It's perfect IMHO.

Most importantly, great to see ya back Cindy C!!!

Thank you! I missed you guys. I hope you're doing well.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 9, 2019 06:57

now if Stonestod would show his face. lol

Date: May 9, 2019 07:00

J.J.Flash
now if Stonestod would show his face. lol

he won't, i talked to him yesterday. He's a stubborn pig-head

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 9, 2019 07:16

I like this song very much.

Date: May 9, 2019 07:31

LazarusSmith
LeonidP
CJFP
Hello all!
I have never really started a track talk thread, so if you would bare with me, that'd be nice. I love Jigsaw Puzzle. Everyone seems to have their own interpretation of the lyrics. I would like to hear your thoughts.

It really is a great song!

Interpretation? I assume it's supposed to be the author's point of view, surrounded by misfits and whatnot, and trying to piece it all together.

... and in a hurry too, as if it rains anymore, they will all go inside.

i would've liked this song better (meaning, at all) if he was indeed outside doing a jigsaw puzzle and trying to finish before the rain started -- that's a great setup for a story ... the tension ... will he indeed finish the puzzle before the rain comes?

but what the damn song says is

me im waiting so patiently
lying on the floor
im just tryna do this jigsaw puzzle
before it rains anymore

so, FIRST OF ALL, he's already inside. there are no floors outside so he's inside. SECOND OF ALL, it's already frickin rainin' ... he just wants to finish BEFORE IT RAINS ANYMORE. so he's INSIDE, DURING A RAINSTORM, and he's trying to finish BEFORE IT RAINS ANYMORE.

this is just bad flabby storytelling -- there's no stakes!

i don't CARE if he finishes before it rains ANYMORE ... cuz nothing will happen one way OR the other!

Or he just wants out, as soon as the rain stops. No need to overcomplicate this smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 9, 2019 11:35

I just love the sound of it!

What Mick sings is almost irrelevant when the sound they produce together is so cool as @#$%&. See Rice Krispies advert for an extreme example.

Jigsaw Puzzle is cool as @#$%&!

Mick's voice, the developing rhythmic groove, Keith essentially learning slide before our very ears, laying down some ace overdubbed acoustic and Brian playing games with pitch control on mellotron. Topped off with some superb piano from Nicky.

hot smiley

Date: May 9, 2019 15:46

His Majesty
I just love the sound of it!

What Mick sings is almost irrelevant when the sound they produce together is so cool as @#$%&. See Rice Krispies advert for an extreme example.

Jigsaw Puzzle is cool as @#$%&!

Mick's voice, the developing rhythmic groove, Keith essentially learning slide before our very ears, laying down some ace overdubbed acoustic and Brian playing games with pitch control on mellotron. Topped off with some superb piano from Nicky.

hot smiley

Totally agree. It is one of the best things about this song, just how new so much of it sounds. That may be Keith's first featured slide, and...well wait: wouldn't it have been the other way around? To o/d the slide and have the acoustic on basic track? I love the way he plays the acoustic on this song; those hard strums; almost like the end part of 'Paint it Black". Brian adding so much to this song. Now this is IMO one of those songs that Brian made great. At times the mellotron sounds like a church choir, other times like a Theremin. Bill Wyman and those octave notes on Bass; the drums recorded so well. I guess that was Jimmy Miller's first go-round.
I'd never noticed the controversy about the 'inside rain' LOL. I do like the one time Jagger says "...so patiently, with my woman on the floor.."

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 9, 2019 16:11

DandelionPowderman
LazarusSmith
LeonidP
CJFP
Hello all!
I have never really started a track talk thread, so if you would bare with me, that'd be nice. I love Jigsaw Puzzle. Everyone seems to have their own interpretation of the lyrics. I would like to hear your thoughts.

It really is a great song!

Interpretation? I assume it's supposed to be the author's point of view, surrounded by misfits and whatnot, and trying to piece it all together.

... and in a hurry too, as if it rains anymore, they will all go inside.

i would've liked this song better (meaning, at all) if he was indeed outside doing a jigsaw puzzle and trying to finish before the rain started -- that's a great setup for a story ... the tension ... will he indeed finish the puzzle before the rain comes?

but what the damn song says is

me im waiting so patiently
lying on the floor
im just tryna do this jigsaw puzzle
before it rains anymore

so, FIRST OF ALL, he's already inside. there are no floors outside so he's inside. SECOND OF ALL, it's already frickin rainin' ... he just wants to finish BEFORE IT RAINS ANYMORE. so he's INSIDE, DURING A RAINSTORM, and he's trying to finish BEFORE IT RAINS ANYMORE.

this is just bad flabby storytelling -- there's no stakes!

i don't CARE if he finishes before it rains ANYMORE ... cuz nothing will happen one way OR the other!

Or he just wants out, as soon as the rain stops. No need to overcomplicate this smiling smiley

i cant believe I'm jumping in on this silly "discussion" but it has stopped raining and he wants to finish and get out before it starts again.

Regardless this is a great song with some really good lyrics. in addition to the description of the band i already mentioned the gangster going home to his family is another great verse.

Date: May 9, 2019 16:24

Palace Revolution 2000

Totally agree. It is one of the best things about this song, just how new so much of it sounds. That may be Keith's first featured slide, and...well wait: wouldn't it have been the other way around? To o/d the slide and have the acoustic on basic track?

You would expect so and he even said he did it that way, but the numerous ongoing takes tell us other wise... he played the slide during the basic live takes.

An acoustic can be heard off mic. Seems to be Mick playing whilst providing his guide vocal.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-09 16:28 by His Majesty.

Date: May 9, 2019 16:26

Palace Revolution 2000

I love the way he plays the acoustic on this song; those hard strums; almost like the end part of 'Paint it Black".

Brian played acoustic on PIB as well. smiling smiley

Date: May 9, 2019 17:08

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

I love the way he plays the acoustic on this song; those hard strums; almost like the end part of 'Paint it Black".

Brian played acoustic on PIB as well. smiling smiley
But not those flourishes at the end.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 9, 2019 17:09

holy @#$%& Nicky Hopkins.

Date: May 9, 2019 17:10

Palace Revolution 2000

He played the off beat chordal stabs during verses, on the beat during chorus and also the bolero like rhythms at the end.

Date: May 9, 2019 19:54

HalfNanker
DandelionPowderman

i cant believe I'm jumping in on this silly "discussion" but it has stopped raining and he wants to finish and get out before it starts again.

It's possible that English is not Mick's first language, I'll grant you that -- the boy had a very cosmop upbringing. In English, we don't say "anymore" to refer to a situation that previously existed but has since ceased. "Anymore" rather refers to a condition that is ongoing and that the speaker wishes would stop. Therefore, it is raining, he doesn't wish it to rain anymore. Let's say a friend was actively bullying you - you might say "I don't want you to do that anymore." But if he had bullied you last week and stopped, you would instead say "I hope he doesn't bully me again," not "I hope he doesn't bully me anymore." There is always a sense of "at the present time" surrounding the use of "anymore."

Switching gears entirely ... what if "Jigsaw Puzzle" could also be seen as a sort of 'dry-run' for "Memo From Turner"?

Date: May 9, 2019 20:08

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

He played the off beat chordal stabs during verses, on the beat during chorus and also the bolero like rhythms at the end.

I think you're right. That era is your specialty, but I had to go check haha... I never sat there with that particular song, and analyzed the guitars. First off, there's more guitars than I realized, and the choppy guitar early on has to be him. And that is the one that does the bolero stabs at end. Amazing, a life-time, and I'm still learning about this crazy band.
I just didn't see Brian playing a guitar that forcefully.

Re 'Jigsaw" I was just listening to an outtake: just drums, bass, slide. One thing Keith did SO WELL, is to stay restrained and disciplined on these early layers. I;ve heard him do that on many songs. Even when you know what is eventually going to be added it is very hard to lay back that much.
That slide is a lesson in restraint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-09 20:11 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: May 9, 2019 20:22

LazarusSmith

It's possible that English is not Mick's first language, I'll grant you that -- the boy had a very cosmop upbringing. In English, we don't say "anymore" to refer to a situation that previously existed but has since ceased. "Anymore" rather refers to a condition that is ongoing and that the speaker wishes would stop. Therefore, it is raining, he doesn't wish it to rain anymore. Let's say a friend was actively bullying you - you might say "I don't want you to do that anymore." But if he had bullied you last week and stopped, you would instead say "I hope he doesn't bully me again," not "I hope he doesn't bully me anymore." There is always a sense of "at the present time" surrounding the use of "anymore."

Switching gears entirely ... what if "Jigsaw Puzzle" could also be seen as a sort of 'dry-run' for "Memo From Turner"?

Yes, English is his first language. But to your point of "again" vs. "anymore"...

"I hope he doesn't bully me again" would mean the person bullied you once or somewhat infrequently and you hope he doesn't do it a another time.

But to say, "I hope he doesn't bully me anymore" would be correct if it was an ongoing situation and you want the repetition of it to end.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home