Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Marquez schooled Pacquiao...
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: November 13, 2011 16:55

... but didn't get the nod.
Sorry my first ever off topic, but it was so outrageous to hear the scorecards.
I'm still in schock. Outcomes like this do nothing but harm to boxing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-13 17:51 by ManuelStones.

Re: OT: Marquez schooled Pacquiao...
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 13, 2011 17:27

Didn't see the fight, but Pacquiao landed a higher percentage of punches (from what I read), so is the decision really unfair?

Date: November 13, 2011 17:49

Tele, it was a one-sided fight!
There were 9 of us watching the fight (most Pacquiao's fans). After the final bell rang we all agreed Marquez had won... with ease!
I even talked on a radio show (EspnDeportes) Saturday morning and predicted an easy win for Pacman UNLESS Marquez's speed could match Pacquiao's (which by no means was something to expect). So his counterpunching style would do Pacquiao's agressivess some fits.
That's exactly what happened. Marquez's speed was a factor right from the first jump. He counterpunched each and everytime Paquiao tried to take the offense. The pace was dictated by Juan Manuel and Pacquiao looked frustrated. Even Roach knew they lost. You have to see their faces and reactions when the fight ended.
I'm really sad for boxing. A great sport but too many fishy situations.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 13, 2011 17:53

ManuelStones
Tele, it was a one-sided fight!
There were 9 of us watching the fight (most Pacquiao's fans). After the final bell rang we all agreed Marquez had won... with ease!
I even talked on a radio show (EspnDeportes) Saturday morning and predicted an easy win for Pacman UNLESS Marquez's speed could match Pacquiao's (which by no means was something to expect). So his counterpunching style would do Pacquiao's agressivess some fits.
That's exactly what happened. Marquez's speed was a factor right from the first jump. He counterpunched each and everytime Paquiao tried to take the offense. The pace was dictated by Juan Manuel and Pacquiao looked frustrated. Even Roach knew they lost. You have to see their faces and reactions when the fight ended.
I'm really sad for boxing. A great sport but too many fishy situations.

Too much at stake to allow Pac to lose, I suppose. Wish I had seen the fight...What's the deal with a Manny-Mayweather fight anyway? Talk about "fishy"...

Date: November 13, 2011 18:11

Arum didn't want his biggest payday ever (Pacman-Floyd) to go down the drain.
Sad.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 13, 2011 18:23

ManuelStones
Arum didn't want his biggest payday ever (Pacman-Floyd) to go down the drain.
Sad.

That's exactly it. Marquez has always had Pacman's number. And I felt he won last night. He dominated all but the last four rounds.

On the strength of Pacman's performance yesterday, I think Mayweather will beat him with ease. His fight with Marquez was so one-sided it looked like a public work out. He'll make Pacman miss, and then catch him with counters.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: November 14, 2011 02:08

Pacquiao had trouble with Marquez on all of their 3 fights.
Marquez is a smart counter puncher that does not suits Pacquiao's
style of boxing. As for the fight last night, Marquez clearly won.

Let me remind you that Floyd Mayweather had a fairly easy time
beating Marquez in their fight winning every or almost every round.
And guess what, Mayweather is a counter puncher...even better than
Marquez and this will be a big problem for Pacquiao's boxing style.

This has nothing to do with if you like or not Mayweather as a person.
He's a better boxer than Pacquiao who could not beat an older boxer
last night that was moving up 2 weight divisions.

Don't get me wrong. I think Pacquiao is a great boxer, but does not
deserves to be in the same class of Leonard, Duran or Hagler.
Pacquiao has lost twice by KO, has a draw and 3 fights with Marquez
that could or should had gone the other way.

Hope the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fights gets here soon to clear all
doubts.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: November 14, 2011 03:47

Have to disagree. It was a close fight but Pacquiao won

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 14, 2011 11:15

Bear in mind this is not the Olympics, in chamionship boxing the challenger has to be seen to decisively beat the champion to win the belt from him.

Marquez's mistake was to not go for the decisive win, he seemed to go for a points victory, but didn't do enough in final few rounds to totally secure it, he didn't attack enough. His corner saying to him that he'd won it already and believing it was another mistake and probably cost him the fight.

Pacquiao did not win the fight though imo, he seemed distant and quite a different fighter to what he normally is, probably frustration due to Marquez's uber defensive/counter punch strategy.

I think a draw would have been more fair result, neither fighter was the clear winner. Marquez didn't do enough to deserve the title and Pacquiao, although lacklustre compared to previous fights, was never really in that much trouble during the fight, nor was Marquez.

As usual though, Bob Arum is the real winner. $$$ eye rolling smiley

Date: November 14, 2011 11:44

No Expectations
Have to disagree. It was a close fight but Pacquiao won

I've watched it again, twice. I think Marquez was definitely the better fighter, but his trainer told him he was winning and he took his foot off the gas in the last four rounds, when he should have been applying pressure.

Pacman - and Freddie Roach - knew he was losing it. Pacman kept crossing himself before the start of every round (something I've never seen him do), and Roach told him he was losing it after the 8th round. Pacman didn't change up his style, just kept on doing the same thing.

Marquez exposed Pacman's deficiencies clear as day. I'd noticed how he was missing against Cotto (hardly the most defensive fighter, but at times, he looked like a defensive master the way Pacman would miss three to five shot combinations), and even an aged Mosely.

Pacman's greatest victories have come against stationary fighters, who are happy to stand in front of him and trade. Big mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pacman and I think Freddie Roach is an outstanding trainer, but Mayweather will win a fairly lopsided points decision when/IF they meet in May.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2011 11:52

where can I watch it on the net?

2 1 2 0

Date: November 14, 2011 12:57

Come On

Knock yourself out:

[www.filesonic.com]

Date: November 14, 2011 15:25

Let's do a mental exercise
Had Marquez been declared the winner, would it have been so much controversy?

I think Pacquiao would have been the first to raise Juan Manuel's hand.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2011 15:33

Nikolai
Come On

Knock yourself out:

[www.filesonic.com]
Paysites? Nah that incredible fighters can't they possible be....latest fighter I would have pay to watch were Oscar de La Hoya...Incredible sting there...

Date: November 14, 2011 15:56

ManuelStones

I think there would have been as much controversy, because it was a very close fight. But you're right - Pacman would've accepted the decision and called for (and been granted) a rematch.

That said, their two previous fights were equally as close, if not closer. Pacman won this one because Marquez took his foot off the gas, because his trainer told him he was winning. Stupid tactics, if you ask me. He should've told Marquez to apply more pressure. And he would've won too.

Roll on Mayweather.

Date: November 14, 2011 16:00

Come On
Nikolai
Come On

Knock yourself out:

[www.filesonic.com]
Paysites? Nah that incredible fighters can't they possible be....latest fighter I would have pay to watch were Oscar de La Hoya...Incredible sting there...

Oscar de la Hoya was a great fighter. No doubt. He almost beat Mayweather, but he was too old and ringworn by the time they met. He ran him very close, applying relentless pressure in the first seven rounds, and I'm sure his younger self would've beaten him.

Date: November 14, 2011 17:31

Nikolai
ManuelStones

I think there would have been as much controversy, because it was a very close fight. But you're right - Pacman would've accepted the decision and called for (and been granted) a rematch.

That said, their two previous fights were equally as close, if not closer. Pacman won this one because Marquez took his foot off the gas, because his trainer told him he was winning. Stupid tactics, if you ask me. He should've told Marquez to apply more pressure. And he would've won too.

Roll on Mayweather.

Sitting watching it with a group of filipinos(my wife is from there), we all thought he'd lost and were very surprised by the anouncement. I think part of that is due to everyone being so used to seeing Pacquiao dominating fights. Not this time, but there's a contradiction between the general impression of the fight and the punch statistics etc.

Watching it again, Marquez didn't attack, overly dominate or cause enough problems to truly beat Pacquiao, no knock downs etc, he just had a great defence/counter punch strategy that kept Pacquiao from doing what he normally does. Marquez exposed quite a few weaknesses in Pacquiao, but Marquez failed to really taking advantage of them.

I think it's part of the contract that were Marquez to win there would be a rematch.

Marquez is a great fighter, it would be a real shame were he to retire, he should do the rematch, but but bring the fight to Pacquiao rather than waiting for him to make the action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-14 17:44 by His Majesty.

Date: November 15, 2011 00:00

Date: November 15, 2011 00:19

[rkmagfeelingexpert.wordpress.com]

video: [www.youtube.com]

angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-15 00:36 by His Majesty.

Date: November 15, 2011 04:59

Southpaw vs Orthodox=Headbutts, footstepping

Date: November 15, 2011 07:16

ManuelStones

Only by the right handed fighter? confused smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 15, 2011 07:52

ManuelStones
[niketalk.yuku.com]

Date: November 15, 2011 17:26

sweetcharmedlife
ManuelStones
[niketalk.yuku.com]

Yet another forum full of people babbling. Intentional foot stamping or not, sure looks intentional at times, but it doesn't matter now.

Marquez sure gave Pacquiao something to think about, but Marquez simply didn't do enough to actually beat him, Too defensive, no knock downs etc.

thumbs up

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 15, 2011 17:36

Just look at Paquaio's wife sigh of relif when manny was declared winner. She knew her husband had lost.

Date: November 15, 2011 17:53

leteyer
Just look at Paquaio's wife sigh of relif when manny was declared winner. She knew her husband had lost.

Jinky Pacquiao is not a fight judge though. grinning smiley

The whole Pacquiao team was dissapointed with his performance, but he did enough to keep his title. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-15 18:25 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home