Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The end of record collections
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 29, 2017 04:40

How do ya'll feel about it? I just (finally) got Spotify, hooked it up to my stereo, looked at my CD and LP collection and felt slightly depressed. My excuse for CD's up till now was they had better sound quality and you could lose your iTunes if your computer melted, but can't tell any difference on sound really and on a subscription doesn't matter if your computer melts...

I dunno, kinda cool and kinda awful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 08:15 by bv.

Re: the end of record collections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2017 04:51

Can ya get Ray Bell's -- Yodelin' Cat Fish Blues on Spot ?????

ROCKMAN

Date: September 29, 2017 04:56

Rockman
Can ya get Ray Bell's -- Yodelin' Cat Fish Blues on Spot ?????

Betcha a five I can

Date: September 29, 2017 04:59

Cool ... spin it man its a rare one .... Rare Starday custom pressing on Friendly Records circa 1960 ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 29, 2017 05:07

Keep those old records. IMHO, they have a warmth to their sound that nothing streamed or digitized can match. I will admit, I listen to records on an old tube powered Magnavox hi-fi that contributes to that warm sound, but, interestingly, when I hook up my mp3 Walkman to the hi-fi, everything sounds better coming out of the Walkman. Another thing, if you're like me and many others, you have albums in your collection that will never see the light of day on any streaming service and or are out of print. So, why not enjoy music from all your sources - Spotify, your records and CD's.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2017 05:55

Parting with my enormous vinyl collection I've amassed since I was six years old in 1969?
A 10 by 15 ft. WALL of albums cared for as if they were literally alive?

Only when hell freezes over.

That said, if someone was interested in my vinyl copies of Primitive Cool and She's The Boss, I'd happily get rid of them in exchange for a couple of beers.

Date: September 29, 2017 06:41

Rockman
Cool ... spin it man its a rare one .... Rare Starday custom pressing on Friendly Records circa 1960 ...

found catfish blues by hendrix

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 29, 2017 06:41

Internet service is not in my budget. (I'm posting this from my phone.) I watch over-the-air analog TV with a converter box, and enjoy music on CD and vinyl through a Rotel amp and Infinity speakers, circa 1986. The alphabet soup of streaming/viewing services frankly makes my head spin. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 06:45 by TheBadRabbit.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 29, 2017 07:03

My music collection ain't going anywhere! Fuhgetabout it.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:02

Send It To me
How do ya'll feel about it? I just (finally) got Spotify, hooked it up to my stereo, looked at my CD and LP collection and felt slightly depressed. My excuse for CD's up till now was they had better sound quality and you could lose your iTunes if your computer melted, but can't tell any difference on sound really and on a subscription doesn't matter if your computer melts...

I dunno, kinda cool and kinda awful

It depends if you consume music or collect music. If you consume music, that is just listening to it and nothing more, then I guess you can get rid of the lot.

But if you collect music, then you cannot get rid of them. Like me, if I would listen to Flowers on Spotify and not having an UK / Decca pressed export to Japan stereo version with the London label, then I could not stick my nose into the sleeve and smell the damp old cellar smell in the sleeve. So I would miss out a major part of the music collectors experience if only listening to Spotify

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: September 29, 2017 10:11

.... not getting rid of mine ...
Leave it to the family... they can deal with the removalist $$$fees

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:27

Hairball
Parting with my enormous vinyl collection I've amassed since I was six years old in 1969?
A 10 by 15 ft. WALL of albums cared for as if they were literally alive?

Only when hell freezes over.

thumbs up

Me too .

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:27

I gave away all LPs and CDs, but the Stones, Pink Floyd and the Doors. I never play them though. All digital since more than a decade.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2017 16:37

I think there's room for every type of listening depending on the situation.

The cool factor of vinyl means it will last far into the future.

I had some friends blown away by my collection of 10" shellacs. Is any of this convenient? No, but if allowed to paraphrase Jan, it's a choice.

Why do people collect coins, don't they know you can just keep your money in the bank and access it with an ATM card?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 29, 2017 18:42

To each there own , but I keep all of my music .

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 29, 2017 23:07

last year i bought a new turntable that coverts vinyl to disc, its a fusion of past and present and i still have some old records left, and will update as time passes, i dont have tapes any more, do have cd,s and always listen to music from youtube, but nothing beats a physical record collection.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 30, 2017 00:15

This dude's just bluffin and trying to get us all to sell (or give away) ours so he can snatch em up. Not foolin me!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 30, 2017 03:24

Does that mean that my insanely rare and out of print "The Rolling Stones Complete Discography.mp3" limited and hand-numbered CD edition is obsolete now?

Date: September 30, 2017 03:38

Cristiano Radtke
Does that mean that my insanely rare and out of print "The Rolling Stones Complete Discography.mp3" limited and hand-numbered CD edition is obsolete now?

the .wav file rendered that obsolete ages ago!

Keep up please!

Date: September 30, 2017 04:13

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

Keep up please!

I've had a girlfriend who used to say that I was a guy way behind the times. I guess she was right. sad smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 30, 2017 06:42

I am offering this one time opportunity for all record collectors to send their entire record collections to
me, and the best news of all, it is absolutely free,
except for the postage you must pay.

Date: September 30, 2017 08:12

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

Keep up please!

I've had a girlfriend who used to say that I was a guy way behind the times. I guess she was right. sad smiley

didn't the beach boys write a song about you cristiano?

Date: September 30, 2017 08:18

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

Keep up please!

didn't the beach boys write a song about you cristiano?

grinning smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 30, 2017 08:24

The art I have appreciated the most (out of all the art created in history) has been printed on 12.375 x 12.375 card board. There may be better art out there, but for me appreciating designs and stuff, holding an album cover, while the LP spins around and around, somehow making music happen, as I examined the font and back cover (and sometimes the gatefold) is still fun/cool/magical/art/etc.

Re: The end of record collections
Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 30, 2017 15:24

things on spotify can be gone in a day without announcements... i keep playing my vinyls smiling smiley) also love to watch the artwork smiling smiley love to not skip a song, but just play the album.. there is a reason why a song is the second one on side b smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 30, 2017 15:27

what about VHS? smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: September 30, 2017 16:54

Well my Stones buddy Chris who doesn't show up anymore has an entire basement full of old albums. He told me once he has 24 different Dark Side of the Moon albums. I haven't been to visit in a while but his total for Rolling Stones was well over 200 and still going. I don't think he is giving up his collection.

And wasn't there just something posted here in the last year or so about vinyl making a comeback?

Streaming isn't the same. You cannot read the liner notes or look at the cover and to me that was a part of the music.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 30, 2017 18:37

Hairball

That said, if someone was interested in my vinyl copies of Primitive Cool and She's The Boss, I'd happily get rid of them in exchange for a couple of beers.

Couple of beers is a bit pricey for those pizzas dude...

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 30, 2017 18:51

I grow up in the vinyl era so I have and special love for vinyls. Vinyls here in Argentina were expensive and if you buy and import one were more expensive, so the way to get the music you like were to get a friend or a friend of a friend that have the vinyl you were loking for a record it in a cassete. It was a nice and funny era, going from house to house of friends to get the vinyl you want to get.

Also there is a matter of sound, the vinyl sounds more sweet and acoustic.

I keep buying vinyls all the time.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2017 19:12

MononoM
what about VHS? smiling smiley

smiling smiley....I still have a dresser filled with them in storage - they fit perfectly in each drawer face down side by side ...about 30 in each drawer. I narrowed them down about 10 years ago and donated a bunch, but it wasn't easy parting with them. And yes I still have a VHS player! I also have apprx. a thousand cassettes...half of which are mix tapes I made from vinyl back in the day...priceless!

Eight tracks you ask? Yes about ten of them...displayed on a shelf at my studio but no means to play them...great conversation pieces. One of them is a great ZZ Top concert I taped off the radio c.78 (but haven't heard it in nearly 40 years!), as well as a couple I taped from a radio station the day after John Lennon died...sad dj's playing loads of Beatles tunes, etc. Would be interesting to hear them now..........

Munichhilton
Hairball

Couple of beers is a bit pricey for those pizzas dude...

Yeah sorry just wanted to make a bit of a profit lol...one beer will do! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 19:20 by Hairball.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home