Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones circa 2017
Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: September 29, 2017 01:50

It's hard to be objective when a band is so much more than just a band. The Rolling Stones have been the soundtrack to my life since 1969, when I saw them for the first time at the Forum in L.A. I was 15. And I saw them last October in Las Vegas. I was 62.

In between, I've seen them just about every time they've come to the U.S. and I was lucky enough to catch them in Vienna when my vacation just happened to align with their schedule in 2014.

I'm not wealthy, but I spend what it takes to get close enough to watch the band, not the video screens. Because going to a Rolling Stones concert is always a very exciting experience for me.

With all that as background... I've watched lots of videos from this tour and there's no doubt that the rough edges are starting to show. Not the heroin edges of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." but the edges that inevitably come when you've lived a very robust life and get to your mid 70s.

There's no denying it. Yes Jagger is a marvel, a freak of nature, but it's evident that he manages his energy throughout a show. Yes, Ronnie Wood busts his ass to keep his chops up, but he has his share of mistakes. Yes, Charlie Watts is the consummate professional,,. No "buts" with Charlie Watts, at least not as far as I can tell. He's the same guy he's always been onstage. Another marvel.

And yes, time and life seem to be starting to catch up on my hero Keith Richards. But as my dad would say, "He comes by it honestly." So I don't care if he continues to deal with arthritis and age. He's more Frank Sinatra, than Elvis. He's getting out there twice a week and giving it all he has, while keeping his integrity intact. Sure Sinatra lost some of his range toward the end. But he was never a caricature of himself. Sure Sinatra in his 60s and 70s didn't have all his moves he didn't have all his sound. But he was the real deal right up until the end. And this is how I think it is with Keith.

And like Sinatra, Keith is surrounded by an amazing band and of course he and that band play some damn fine, timeless songs.

So yes, that band is showing it's ragged edges. It's not just Keith. It's just most noticeable with him on this tour.

But guess what... If they come back to the U.S. and if there is a pit to be in, guess who'll be there... me. I'll go to see the ragged, limited, sometimes sloppy Rolling Stones. You won't hear me trying to deny that may be past their prime. But you won't hear me say that they should put up the "Closed" sign behind the drums for good.

There will come a day when they just can't tour anymore. But even with the awkward song intros, the slips and stalls, a Rolling Stones show is still an exciting event for me. When they hit the stage, they do make this old man cry.

So, I'll leave it to others to put the spotlight on the flaws. And I'll leave it to others to deny those flaws. For me, the Rolling Stones were, are, and will always be... (wait for it...) The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World, even in their occasionally ragged version circa 2017.

Re: The Rolling Stones circa 2017
Posted by: heinz_str ()
Date: September 29, 2017 01:58

love your statement....vibrolux
soulsisters.... in case of the r.s

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 29, 2017 03:15

Soundtrack of my life, too.
I'm Kurt and I approve of this message!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: September 29, 2017 03:54

Cheers, Vibrolux!

Entertainment is a massive field, and we should consider ourselves lucky to have found an artist or genre that hits home with us on such a personal level...

I've met one or two people in my life that I'd ask "What kind of music do you like?", and they've replied "Oh, I don't listen to music"... I would do a double-take and make them repeat their answer! Not liking music is such a foreign concept to me...

I haven't found a bigger rush than The Stones hitting the stage... and now each show can be relived watching clips on YT, and that rush almost comes through, almost!

Rock and Roll

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 29, 2017 04:29

In other words,

Cheer up, motherfvckers.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2017 04:32

I'm happy 35......

ESP With these electric jocks turned up to 11 ... I'm gigglin' all the time .... even when I read LD's emails .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 29, 2017 05:17

I was actually trying to be funny w/ my 'MF' swearing,
not dictating how others should feel or discounting the OP's
meaningful share.
I am in no position to give advice on RS feelings and maybe it's
really really really the last tour.
It's like when my H said 'I was going to purchase (the highest quality download?)
of RS music (we don't share any audio) but $50. and we already own so much...'
I said: "oh no you are talking to the wrong gal here if you're looking for RS financial moderation advice, my friend"

Date: September 29, 2017 05:36

vibrolux
It's hard to be objective when a band is so much more than just a band. The Rolling Stones have been the soundtrack to my life since 1969, when I saw them for the first time at the Forum in L.A. I was 15. And I saw them last October in Las Vegas. I was 62.

With all that as background... I've watched lots of videos from this tour and there's no doubt that the rough edges are starting to show. Not the heroin edges of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." but the edges that inevitably come when you've lived a very robust life and get to your mid 70s.

There's no denying it. Yes Jagger is a marvel, a freak of nature, but it's evident that he manages his energy throughout a show. Yes, Ronnie Wood busts his ass to keep his chops up, but he has his share of mistakes. Yes, Charlie Watts is the consummate professional,,. No "buts" with Charlie Watts, at least not as far as I can tell. He's the same guy he's always been onstage. Another marvel.

And yes, time and life seem to be starting to catch up on my hero Keith Richards. But as my dad would say, "He comes by it honestly." So I don't care if he continues to deal with arthritis and age. He's more Frank Sinatra, than Elvis. He's getting out there twice a week and giving it all he has, while keeping his integrity intact. Sure Sinatra lost some of his range toward the end. But he was never a caricature of himself. Sure Sinatra in his 60s and 70s didn't have all his moves he didn't have all his sound. But he was the real deal right up until the end. And this is how I think it is with Keith.

And like Sinatra, Keith is surrounded by an amazing band and of course he and that band play some damn fine, timeless songs.

So yes, that band is showing it's ragged edges. It's not just Keith. It's just most noticeable with him on this tour.

For me, the Rolling Stones were, are, and will always be... (wait for it...) The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World, even in their occasionally ragged version circa 2017.

Yes. And it is even a little bit better, because youtube distorts a lot sometimes. You cannot always get what you want but with the Stones you get what you need.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 29, 2017 05:52

What Vibrolux said!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:04

Beautiful and well said Vibrolux.fully agree.
Jeroen

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: September 29, 2017 10:25

Well put. I feel the same. When attending a Stones show I have a smile on my face throughout. If I get a chance I'll go see them again next year and thereafter. Whenever I hear a Stones track unexpectedly my happiness level just jumps a few notches. Soundtrack of my life too.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 29, 2017 11:22

vibrolux
He's more Frank Sinatra, than Elvis.

Thx for the statement. All of it is true - for me as well!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home