Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - RIP, Jerry Lewis
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 20, 2017 21:34

Re: OT - RIP, Jerry Lewis
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 20, 2017 21:35

For a minute I thought it was Jerry Lee, after Sonny Burgess.

Date: August 20, 2017 22:11

sad. thought too it was jerry lee

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2017 22:25

I met him briefly when I was about 10 years old, and he was the exact opposite of what his goofy image and comedic film roles would have you believe.
He was very serious to the point of almost being mean...no goofy faces, no jokes, no funny voices, etc., just all business.
Shows what a great actor he was I suppose.

RIP Jerry Lewis.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 20, 2017 23:11

R.I.P. My daughter loved the old Martin and Lewis movies when she was younger. She watched them to the extent where she could recite all of the dialogue for each flick and sing along with Dean. She loved Lewis and his onscreen antics the best of the two.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 20, 2017 23:21

If only for this, I'll love him forever:
[www.youtube.com]

This is why they don't let Charlie talk to the press very often haha...
What an entirely fascinating frighening psychology of this guys band after they broke up...whoa...slapstick high drama; I guess they were the friggin' Beatlemania in their day; legendar packed houses, like vaudeville constant playings; very many a day; hysterical crowds. Dean had half his nose shaved off and was beautiful. I guess as a very little kid in the 50's till early 60's he was sort of our Pee Wee Herman in a way; they were prob making films in the 40's when their live act was a total sensation; they owned NYC seriously.
The whole Elvis thing in a way too; when they started doing movies; the huge celebratory openings with iconic billboards and huge adoring crowds...

I rememeber seeing The Delicate Delinquent when about only 6 to 8, whever it finally got to our neighborhood movie house where ALL the mothers sent ALL their kids so they could get a Saturday break. several cartoons, a serial featurette like Batman series from the 40's they were still recycling to B level theaters...it was good; i loved it; I think his first without Dean. There was a sweet loving leading lady; he was an idiot but got to be a rookie cop doing good and bveing respected; we were too young to really 'get' how hot those starlets were but they were all maternal and adoring; and he was like high-chair speed baby chuckie devil turning hot and cold; it's weird; he kinda is like how you say really disturbved disturbing cat in his own world, like everybody else hahaha Go JERRY!!!!
...and then of course, two full-length features right in a row. RODAN RODAN ICLEASE SPEED OF LOTATION!!! we knew dozens of them by heart every line of the script.

M&L like Abott & Costello and some of the duos that uber-scored sort of a little before Jerry and Dean. Dean has a great voice imo. a classic straight man like Bud Abbot, but his own considerable charm; DEANS first films without Jerry were like major major Westerns with good casts and great photography and directors. whoa. i guess that's why there's a million books about these guys and etc...

...we kind of grew up in that Movie theater over the years. We def did from kindegarten till 6th grade. Amazing,,.,.

Very rarely color films at first. He was great in that; as a little kid I loved him....I had missed the Martin/Lewis hysteria but they made a shitoad of films one after the other; some w charming moments or cool routines that had worked out live and could be translated and filmed. Quickie kinda stuff like the Elvis movies to come. When eh was On it; he had spectacular skills. I'm not sure about his health but I do think he seriously crashed his back and cervical spine too over the years...

...it's juvenile slop a lot of his solo films he was writing and directing; but i was a juvenile and i liked slop. I mean they were right up there with The 3 Stooges and others predating them by just a bit in film history....
He's kind of like this treacherosu accident that is fascinating sometimes; seems bitter and defensive but also pretty intellijente, a bad combination heh heh....
....then again; how many centuries and multitude generations of thousands of interviews...and just being too old to play ball if they are not prepared; maybe something happened with the set-up. Maybe disgusted he took forever to get to the movie he was promtoing there, possibly even contracturally...and may e i'm just making excuses for bad behavoir; but i dig it really.... it's all well you knew these other famous guys and what was that like and how did you feel about THAT...and 'well you're pretty fkn old and sick aincha? wtf w that jerry, i heard it was your balls' haha....RIP old battle-horse...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 23:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 20, 2017 23:36

I grew up on his comedy films, back then i thought he was the funnest man in the world.
The man was a comic genius.
I can't believe he made it to 91, he had his first heart attack 58 years ago.
I believe he raised 2 billion dollars for charity in his life time, that's really something.

This is like the Mandela effect because i was sure he had already died.
I remember it on the news. Weird.

A few weeks ago a local journalist photographer had died where i live , he happened to be called Keith Richards, unbeknownst to me. My wife came in the room with this strange look and a cup of tea, she whispered that they just said on the radio Keith Richards has died.
My heart sank as low as it has ever sank, even when my Dad died recently it wasn't as much of a shock in comparison ( partly due to him being very unwell). I was so happy five minutes later when it turned out to be another Keith Richards.
It just made me realize how lucky we are that Keith and the others are still in the world.

Oh well it just goes to show our heroes will not be in our lives for much longer.
We should all give them a break, myself included, nothing is forever, least not in this incarnation.

RIP Jerry Lewis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-20 23:39 by stone4ever.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 20, 2017 23:36

Don't want to speak ill of the dead but what an unpleasant individual! I'm referring to the interview that was posted.

Date: August 20, 2017 23:48

steffialicia
Don't want to speak ill of the dead but what an unpleasant individual! I'm referring to the interview that was posted.

I wouldn't judge the man from that one interview, obviously someone upset him prior to the interview. Perhaps he was contracted to do the interview under duress. Still i feel sorry for the interviewer.
I guess to make it to 91 you need to have an uncompromising attitude at times.

Date: August 21, 2017 00:14

6.25 into this interview Jerry explains something that helped me realize why Mick opts for the safe bet with set lists etc. There's so much at stake, they can't afford to take chances with the public due to expensive ticket prices, or so they think as performers.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 21, 2017 00:16

Yikes...that interview is a horror show.

He was amazing in The King of Comedy with Robert De Niro...one of Scorsese's most overlooked films IMO.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 21, 2017 01:05

Loved him as youngster in the 60's he was so funnny RIP

Date: August 21, 2017 01:27

RIP Mr. Lewis.
I wonder, has anyone here seen the film "Funny Bones"? Got to be one of the better films I have ever seen.
It's like a visual Tom waits song.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 21, 2017 01:43

I hated him when I was a kid. I was forced, sort of, to watch "Who's Minding the Store" on a big-ish screen at a babysitting center, and it made me dislike him even more than prior glimpses of him on TV. My mother saw Martin and Lewis live when they were at their height, and she disliked him, too, and didn't get the success of them as a duo (though she always liked Dean's singing).

I later did like his performances on Wiseguy and in the Scorcese film. Perhaps his personality problems were due to an odd upbringing as a child performer in a low-level showbiz family, some combination of being abused or neglected while also being spoiled. Condolences to his family. I still see Gary popping up on PBS doing his old songs.

Date: August 21, 2017 01:47

I've read several other comedians comment on that recent nasty interview of his, and speculating it was all an act of genius and partially performance art - playing the grumpy old comedian.
Whether that's true or not is hard to tell, but when you see it in that light it is funny.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 21, 2017 01:56

So is today The Day the Clown Cried?

Date: August 21, 2017 02:12

He was a pretty good dancer and drummer...but his singing and guitar playing needed some work. winking smiley

Jerry Lewis - Rock'n'Roll, 1958

Date: August 21, 2017 04:17

Beastie Boys in Asheville - The Jerry Lewis
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 21, 2017 04:27

My great childhood memory of Jerry Lewis will always be seeing his movie "That's My Boy" on TV. Some of the scenes had me laughing uncontrollably. And of corse later on in "The King Of Comedy".

See Jerry acting so cranky in that clip above reminded me of that Bob Dylan footage from way back, when he barked at that reporter from Times magazine.Lets be honest we all have our bad days.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 21, 2017 07:03

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, my dad had a BOOTLEG VINYL of Martin and Lewis recording a radio ad but getting obscene and vulgar, and then breaking out in laughter. I have to say, it was hilarious. You could hear the crew all laughing too. Too bad they let so many years pass without taking the steps to reconcile although Sinatra got them together on one of Lewis telethons. He was a comedic genius but I was never much of a fan of his humor.

The French loved him.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 21, 2017 14:02

I liked him a lot in the movies with the late great Dean Martin.

RIP Jerry Lewis

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 21, 2017 14:59

Terrible mistake: ...

Date: August 21, 2017 15:00

Ouch...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 21, 2017 15:15

RoughJusticeOnYa

People should learn from their mistakes, as they say...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 21, 2017 15:48

I hope TCM salutes Jerry with a marathon of his films on Labor Day.

His MDA telethon was a Labor Day Weekend fixture on television for several generations of Americans. You never knew who might turn up--and especially in the pre-VCR years--you dared not look away or you might miss something really good.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 21, 2017 16:15

When I was 10 I loved his films with Dean Martin. sad smiley

Last year I was very surprised about a
documentary about his Holocaust movie
"The Day The Clown Cried". It is clearly
the blueprint for Roberto Benigni´s "Life
Is Beautiful", a comedy about being imprisoned
in a Concentration Camp.

It was never released.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 21, 2017 16:39

Cristiano Radtke
RoughJusticeOnYa

People should learn from their mistakes, as they say...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

eye popping smiley

Oooooooooooh... that is just... wáaaaw.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: August 21, 2017 19:00

I'm referring to the interview that was posted.

That's what Lou Reed at 90 would have sounded and looked like.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 21, 2017 19:08

To one of the funniest men in history . R.I.P. (THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LAUGHS )

Date: August 21, 2017 20:58

parislocksmith
I'm referring to the interview that was posted.

That's what Lou Reed at 90 would have sounded and looked like.
word, yes thank you.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home