Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Periscopes, youtubes, mp3s, pictures and copyrights
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:07

I must say that I have no experience with these "periscope" things, that apparently
keep a lot of us busy. As far as I understand, a person films a show with his phone
and others at home can watch the show live that way?
I must say I am not enthusiast about this development, for more than one reason.
I think it is not cool if anyone in the audience is holding up his or her phone during
the entire show. It might limit the view for others in the audience. Other than that,
though I have no experience with it, I think this way of viewing a show does no justice
to the band that is performing. Like youtube clips filmed with phones don't give a good
impression of the experience of being at a show.

But other than these objectives, I was wondering about the impact of these devolopments
on the income of artists. In the old days, there were pay-per-view broadcasts on television,
band sold DVDs and videos of shows or broadcasters paid money to the band to buy the rights
to bring the show on television. What reward does a band get when a show is streamed
into many houses by means of periscopes or uploaded videos on youtube?

The same goes for the sharing of pictures, many of which were made by professional
photographers. It is a good use on this board to put the name of the artist under the
picture. But does the artist approve of this way of sharing his work? Does he/she
have to? Is he entitled to a reward?

I know we've discussed copyrights before on this board, but developments are fast.
I find this periscope thing rather confusing.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Re: Periscopes, youtubes, mp3s, pictures and copyrights
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:33

People on the internet like free stuff, and they like to complain a lot. Artists get nothing from periscope, as far as I know; except for the headaches that might accompany reading through all the complaints online from people who watch the free periscope videos. We're a miserable lot sometimes. It's a wonder the Stones can even deal with us. Play the guitar this way. Don't shake your bum that way. And blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 25, 2017 17:00

marcovandereijk

What reward does a band get when a show is streamed into many houses by means of periscopes or uploaded videos on youtube?

They can demand higher Ticket-prices due to the Livestreams or YouTube-Uploads ....

marcovandereijk

The same goes for the sharing of pictures, many of which were made by professional photographers. [...] But does the artist approve of this way of sharing his work? Does he/she have to? Is he entitled to a reward?

In case of the professional photographers, the pictures are paid by the media and in the end by the consumers who are buying Newspapers, Magazines or paying fees for Broadcasts ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 20:20 by Irix.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2017 17:07

If I remember rightly, it was the Stones organisation that first alerted us to the existence of Periscope (and let Charlotte do her pre-show broadcasts on the last tour) so they obviously don't mind.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 25, 2017 17:22

Green Lady
If I remember rightly, it was the Stones organisation that first alerted us to the existence of Periscope (and let Charlotte do her pre-show broadcasts on the last tour) so they obviously don't mind.

Yep: [iorr.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home