Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Carl Denson
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 24, 2017 21:18

Back from Zurich and Lucca, I like to start this thread on Carl Denson.
Don't get me wrong, but I dare to say he's our new Mick Taylor. He's very gifted and has proven to be able to elevate the musica of the Rolling Stones to a higher ground, like Ernie Watts did, a very long time ago. After no less then eighty concerts of Rolling Stones attended,'Brown Sugar' gives me thrills again!
His sax is something like a third guitar that goes straight to the end of the song, but could go on rocking and swinging.
'Mise You'? It sounds very well now that Watts, Denson and Jones trio has given the song a totally new life.
I wish the Rolling Stones will given Denson many more chances, in very near future... 'Waiting On A Friend', 'Imagination' come easy, but I also hore the Glimmer Twins will consider to arrange some other songs to let Denson support Mick Jagger and abandone two backsingers that have become quite boring and use less. Welcome back Keith on backvocals: he's much more moving than anybody else, in my opinion.
No need to say that this point of view of mine will bashed, but I can't see why the Rolling Stones should not remember that have conquered the World being proud to be different, innovative and gifted musicians.
Am I the only one here hoping for new jam sessions on stage?
Thanks for reading,

Re: Carl Denson
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 24, 2017 21:59

This is the Stones not the Greatful Fu*king Dead . Make it stop now.

Stella musicians on Bass and Sax , but their background is jazz and it shows.Nothing wrong with it, but the Stones ain't jazz.

Add the Plinky plonker on piano . Nooooooooo!

and Mick Taylor can do one as well........... Noodler

A ROCK N ROLL BAND need none of the above

sc uk

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:08

Carl is cool.
He brings a different tone to the sax parts and it´s OK for me.

But nothing more.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:10

I like. Something new and different. Seems to play with confidence, doesn't treat his part with reverence, not afraid to make it his own.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:15

straycatuk
This is the Stones not the Greatful Fu*king Dead . Make it stop now.

Stella musicians on Bass and Sax , but their background is jazz and it shows.Nothing wrong with it, but the Stones ain't jazz.

Add the Plinky plonker on piano . Nooooooooo!

and Mick Taylor can do one as well........... Noodler

A ROCK N ROLL BAND need none of the above

sc uk

I feel your pain thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:23

I think Karl has come a long way in his relatively short time with the band.
Tough shoes to fill, but his playing has started to sound like his as opposed to someone mimicking Bobby on this tour.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:25

See below (one of us needs to learn how to quote properly and I think it's me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-24 22:27 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: September 24, 2017 22:26

1963luca0
I also hore the Glimmer Twins will consider to arrange some other songs to let Denson support Mick Jagger and abandone two backsingers that have become quite boring and use less. Welcome back Keith on backvocals: he's much more moving than anybody else, in my opinion.

The thing is Mick relies on Bernard or Bernard and Sasha to handle the choruses on most of the songs. They may have started using Bernard and Lisa to replace Keith and Ronnie on backing vocals, but they are there just as much to double or support Mick to let him concentrate on verses. Sometimes you hear backing vocals on the verses as well. It's the same with Chuck and Matt on keyboards. They're there so there are no gaps in the guitar parts. It may not be what we want, but it's apparently what they need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-24 22:27 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:26

1963luca0
Back from Zurich and Lucca, I like to start this thread on Carl Denson.
Don't get me wrong, but I dare to say he's our new Mick Taylor. He's very gifted and has proven to be able to elevate the musica of the Rolling Stones to a higher ground, like Ernie Watts did, a very long time ago. After no less then eighty concerts of Rolling Stones attended,'Brown Sugar' gives me thrills again!
His sax is something like a third guitar that goes straight to the end of the song, but could go on rocking and swinging.
'Mise You'? It sounds very well now that Watts, Denson and Jones trio has given the song a totally new life.
I wish the Rolling Stones will given Denson many more chances, in very near future... 'Waiting On A Friend', 'Imagination' come easy, but I also hore the Glimmer Twins will consider to arrange some other songs to let Denson support Mick Jagger and abandone two backsingers that have become quite boring and use less. Welcome back Keith on backvocals: he's much more moving than anybody else, in my opinion.
No need to say that this point of view of mine will bashed, but I can't see why the Rolling Stones should not remember that have conquered the World being proud to be different, innovative and gifted musicians.
Am I the only one here hoping for new jam sessions on stage?
Thanks for reading,

Did Carl Denson actually play on Miss You? I thought it was Tim Ries at the concerts I attended.

Date: September 24, 2017 22:37

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:52

Fantastic player,I liked his playing a lot in Hamburg. I'd love to see him in the context of a small band. I play the tenor myself and like his style a lot.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 24, 2017 22:54

Why bash you? Denson is a new and somewhat different voice in the Stones choir, a very accopmplished and versatile player who offers a fresh and refreshing perspective on the songs he plays on.

On-stage jamming would be nice but, realistically speaking, won't happen, I'm afraid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 01:58 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 24, 2017 23:05

He played on Lenny Kravitz' debut album, "Let Love Rule" in 1988.
He is really great.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 25, 2017 00:04

Agree with you, 1963lucaO. Denson is a great choice. Deep in the Stones`history, knows Bobbie`s style but adding something of his modern funk style. Fantastic player.thumbs up

But: Tim Ries is playing on Miss You! The other great player, but totally different style winking smiley

Tom

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2017 00:42

"I dare to say he's our new Mick Taylor"

LOL

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 25, 2017 02:06

straycatuk
This is the Stones not the Greatful Fu*king Dead (...)

There's a drummer with a background in jazz, too ... winking smiley

The closest the Stones ever got to jamming was Can't You Hear Me Knocking, which always came across a bit stiff in 2012-2014. In principle, CYHMK would be a perfect vehicle for an extended jam but my impression is they are not quite relaxed enough. Also, I'm not sure if they would really be interested in it.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 25, 2017 03:08

Charlie isn't in a jazz band because he wouldn't be good enough tbh and he's admitted it on numerous occasions . I know he has his own bands , but that's trading on a name. He's the best drummer the Stones could have , but they are greater than the sum of their parts .

I thought that might be picked up on eye rolling smiley

CYHMK Live is a prime example as to why the Stones are not a jam band.

The extended Miss You with Daryl's solo is my built in toilet break during a show nowadays.They could half the length of it and add another number to the set .

All of the above is only my opinion obviously. Peace and ROLL ON BARCELONA !

sc uk

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home