Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bridges To Babylon tour started 20 years ago today
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 23, 2017 18:32

Great tour to promote brilliant album. Time flies.

[www.youtube.com]

I hope they'll play Out Of Control tonight in Lucca smiling bouncing smiley

Re: Bridges To Babylon tour started 20 years ago today
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 23, 2017 18:43

WOW! I can't believe that was twenty years ago! I remember the album coming out while I was working in Venezuela. I loved it! I was sad because I would be able to make the tour then they announced the No Security shows in Miami. Only a four hour flight from Venezuela, so I got a friend who lived in Miami to pick up four tickets and it was a phenomenal show! I was very impressed they did the song Some Girls and a great version of Midnight Rambler on the B-Stage.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: September 23, 2017 18:50

Agree. My favorite tour considering I started late in 1994. I went to Columbus, Atlanta and the rescheduled Syracuse show in 1998 taking a Greyhound Bus from Knoxville almost 24 hours each way and stopping only at Burger King everywhere along the way. I think Syracuse is the best show I ever saw as far as setlist and the band being on fire just coming back from South America.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 23, 2017 19:15

Seems like maybe 3-4 years ago...
Great album, great tour, good times. It was my first "internet info" tour. We were in Chicago for opening night and it was blast! Then a week later I flew to Cleveland and drove down to Columbus for a big meet up with people I met on that old Rolling Stones scrolling message board, I forget the name of the website, but it was a fun bunch of people and I only went to Columbus because of them. We met and talked online and then met up for a preparty at the hostess' (Cleo's) house and went to the concert from there. It was fun!

HANS ABOVE THE BLANKET!!!smiling bouncing smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 23, 2017 19:22

They looked so young. I went to No Security tour right after that tour. Great show!

Date: September 23, 2017 19:35

beachbreak
They looked so young. I went to No Security tour right after that tour. Great show!

It has kind of become like James Bond movies trying to recall the tours, all of the albums over the 30-40 Stones live in person shows I have seen. It all start to blend together. Lets see, it all started long ago before.... and then it was... uhm... and then came B2B... then the almost acoustic "Stripped... no... it was uhm.... first... it was the No Security tour, which was a stripped down version of the previous tour... Then they released the No Security live album with those people on the front... then it was stripped the album... then it was 40 licks the album and then Licks the tour... or something... ah who knows without looking... as long as it was LIVE STONES we were there and it was killer!!!

I used to travel in person a lot more in the good ole days for live shows, now I try to use my submarine as often as possible.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2017 20:22

Only made it to one show that tour...at Dodger stadium, Nov.9.
I was right on the catwalk back by the b-stage ...thrilling as I'd never been that close before then!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: September 23, 2017 20:55

I saw 2 shows that tour, New Jersey and Oakland on Halloween, both great

Date: September 23, 2017 21:37

coffeepotman
I saw 2 shows that tour, New Jersey and Oakland on Halloween, both great

Nice, I wasnt there, but it seems Oakland is a cool show to have seen. It is kind of famous with those masks they gave out and the Halloween shirts and stuff... wait a second... that does not sound right... wasn't the Oakland Halloween show in 94? I may be wrong, but I think the masks were for Voodoo lounge show. As I said above they all start to run together after a while.

I may be wrong... I wasnt there... but I collect those mask when they are priced right smoking smiley

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 23, 2017 21:56

Yeah, the last date in North America, in the Skydome, was on the field close to the stage. After the final song, I put out the last cigarette I ever smoked. I remember being so sad, because I thought it would be the last time I ever would get the chance to see The Rolling Stones live. I know, it's a personal statement, that likely no one cares about....but that is one of the things I associate with that tour. April 26 1998....Toronto...the day we saw The Stones...and I quit smoking.

That was also the tour that they came back inside to play arena's instead of stadiums since 1981, for only 3 shows...at Madison Square Garden. Those were awesome shows...and the best live version of Satisfaction I ever heard, the opening number for the 3rd show, Jan 17 1998. Can be heard on SWEET HOME NEW YORK CITY, Crystal Cat release.

They got so honed during that tour....that the UK part got postponed for tax reasons...the tour was so long, that if they had played the UK segment, then their entire earnings for 1998 would have been taxed by the UK...something like that. So they posponed it for a while, and after the Christmas break, just to stay sharp, the USA got No Security tour....one of the best tours ever, because they did all arenas, and were so practiced from being on the road for several years.

Thanks for the memory...

Sweet Home New York City

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-23 22:03 by onestep.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2017 22:29

Was just doing a google search for images, and found this old thread...10th anniversary of Bridges to Babylon.

Bridges - 1997

Stage design and pics: STUFISH

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 23, 2017 22:42

My first ever concert...Keith's side, FRONT ROW. He jumped right down on the catwalk in front of me during JJF and I did the "I'm not worthy" bow...he saw me and gave me a great smile and then some heavy riffage and posing.

Talk about being all downhill after that.

Date: September 23, 2017 22:45

franzk

[www.youtube.com]

I think they aired the first two songs of this video feed on VH-1 live...the pyro wasn't allowed at Soldier Field so the effect at the beginning was a bit lackluster.

I was in college and made my friends watch it with me. They were all giving me shit about how old they looked.

And.......20 years later...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-23 22:48 by keefriff99.

Date: September 23, 2017 22:47

beachbreak
It's amazing how perceptions change, isn't it? They were considered decrepit old fossils by the "cool kids" 20 years ago, but compared to now, they look downright sprightly and youthful.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 23, 2017 23:18

Satisfaction from MSG January 1998

Sweet Home New York City

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 23, 2017 23:20

Bridges to Babylon... easily in my top 3 tours ever.

We got the best versions of Satisfaction and LSTNT ever. Really a milestone tour when it comes to rock-solid flawless shows, quite the opposite of today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-23 23:21 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 23, 2017 23:43

TheBlockbuster
Really a milestone tour when it comes to rock-solid flawless shows, quite the opposite of today.

Not being snarky, genuinely asking, what made THAT tour be the one that was "rock-solid flawless shows". Yes I know the Stones have changed ever so slightly since the Urban Jungle tour, but seriously I feel like all tours since their coming back in the late 80s are largely the same. They are put together professional rock shows. It can change slightly night to night, but largely there is nothing spontaneous happening on stage and there really hasn't been since 1988. Thats not a criticism either, I just see it as the obvious fact. Hence my asking why THIS tour was the kicker and different than previous?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 23, 2017 23:56

RollingFreak
TheBlockbuster
Really a milestone tour when it comes to rock-solid flawless shows, quite the opposite of today.

Not being snarky, genuinely asking, what made THAT tour be the one that was "rock-solid flawless shows". Yes I know the Stones have changed ever so slightly since the Urban Jungle tour, but seriously I feel like all tours since their coming back in the late 80s are largely the same. They are put together professional rock shows. It can change slightly night to night, but largely there is nothing spontaneous happening on stage and there really hasn't been since 1988. Thats not a criticism either, I just see it as the obvious fact. Hence my asking why THIS tour was the kicker and different than previous?

For me it's partly about Darryl. In 1994 it took awhile until they figured out their new sound and it got better with every show. However in 1997 it felt like the band played more ''in the pocket'' than ever. Sure 89-90 with Bill was also almost flawless but the grit and aggression wasn't there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-23 23:59 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 24, 2017 00:08

TheBlockbuster
RollingFreak
TheBlockbuster

For me it's partly about Darryl. In 1994 it took awhile until they figured out their new sound and it got better with every show. However in 1997 it felt like the band played more ''in the pocket'' than ever. Sure 89-90 with Bill was also almost flawless but the grit and aggression wasn't there.

Fair enough, thats a good answer. One I can't really speak about as admittedly bass hasn't really made a difference to me (yes I want Bill there but in a stadium no I'm not noticing the bass playing really at all) and I've mainly just focused on the original 3, who have for better or worse pretty much remained the same since 88. And Ronnie who is more good than bad but was the only one that really fluctuated. But fair enough, I can see what you're getting at a bit clearer now.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 24, 2017 00:22

Great opener which they should play

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 24, 2017 18:16

This was my first tour, and while I had been a big fan previously, this show was what made them my favorite band, dethroning the Beatles, who probably aren't even in my Top 25 anymore, but then my musical tastes have changed and greatly expanded since those days. I've actually been on a BTB kick of late. Lots of great songs on there!!!

Date: September 24, 2017 23:52

BTB was a really good album, their last stellar one.

I loved Anybody Seen My Baby, really!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 24, 2017 23:59

franzk

[www.youtube.com]

Brilliant album? are you mad?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 25, 2017 00:20

potus43
Brilliant album? are you mad?

Seems you're the one mad. Bro.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 25, 2017 00:32

Great tour, saw some concerts, mostly frontrow. But to be honest I never really liked the stage design.. Berlin Waldbühne on this tour was fantastic. Just the small stage, no show , just rock`n roll. Perfect!!

Tom

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2017 01:19

Yeah stage design ....

With that oval screen...satins... silks... props etc it always
looks like it's Honey I Shrunk The Stones and they're performing
the show on Kimmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Kardashian's vanity table .....hhhaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 01:56

My favourite tour I've attended was VL, but I only did 2 shows.

I ended up doing 5 shows on BtB, and began going to gigs abroad for the 1st time and all because of those postponed U.K. Shows! The UK postponements were anounced on June 7/8, just as I was getting up to leave for Paris to follow Scotland at the 1998 Football World Cup. The game I saw was (v Brazil, 1-2 sad smiley ) was at the Stade de France and I saw billboards advertising the forthcoming Stones show at the same venue. Some helpful staff gave me a phone number and a Frenchman at my mum's work called for a ticket for me and I returned 6 weeks later for the show. I had a crap nosebleed seat but I went downstairs and walked onto the pitch with no-one checking me and got a very good spot. 3 weeks later I was off to the brilliant show in Chorzow, their 1st in Poland since 1967 then 3 weeks later the famous rainshow at Den Haag, the Netherlands. I was bitten by the bug and I've been following the Stones abroad ever since. I saw 2 of the UK postponed shows the year after - Edinburgh and London.

Good tour, loved the stage and cheap tickets for all. My Polish ticket was less than £15!

Date: September 25, 2017 03:23

They were such punks (in a good way) during BTB and the No Security tours.

They came out with shades on, Keith with the long leopard coat, those ornaments hanging from his hair.

They looked and played with a punk attitude.

It was great.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 04:01

20 years!?!

Saw them at the Texas Motor Speedway with the Smashing Pumpkins, Dave Mathews Band, and Matchbox 20. Odd lineup but. A good day...first time I saw the b-Stage.

Still have the event t-shirt and a couple of ball caps from the show.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 04:20

agree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home