Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: 90 second samples of new Some Girls tracks available
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 9, 2011 06:11

can anyone post the version of SO YOUNG for us folks in the States.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 9, 2011 06:20

DandelionPowderman
I like what I'm hearing. Still, I'm a bit puzzled about the many country numbers here. 5 or 6 country-ish tunes. It's not a very good documentation of what was going on in the studio in France in 1977.

But I'm not complaining, and I love good country.

Yeah, that was my first thought. It doesn't really match the raw, sweaty, punky, funky vibe of SG/NYC in 77,78 at all.
It's like this whole other thing, not an extension. I'm a bit bummed by that, but I'll wait and see.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 9, 2011 06:58

Justin
WilliamPatrickMaynard
"I Love You Too Much" is another standout. As with "Do You Think I Really Care" the lyrical changes appear to be minimal and the new vocal works well. I love this. Yes, I'm assuming it is a latterday vocal, but I'm not certain.

Sounds like a 2011 overdub to me.

Jagger just added some vocals in the chorus, the rest is from '77. If you don't believe me just compare it to the bootleg take. It's 95% the same.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 9, 2011 10:14

Hillside Blues
Some info on Love You Too Much (I Can't Help it) on Keno's ROLLING STONES Web Site.

"First recorded in late 1977, then again in early 1985, never released. There are several different versions of this song, the early ones have Mick Jagger singing lead, sounding like Johnny Rotten. Keith Richards, who wrote the song about Anita Pallenberg, hated the way it turned out. It was later re-recorded as a much slower, acoustic guitar song, with Keith on lead vocals and Ronnie Wood on steel slide."
[www.keno.org]

Anyone have any more info about this? Never heard a Keith vocal version.

Same here, I keep close tabs on the outtakes and never heard of a 1985 version, let alone with Keith on vox. I suppose there could be some garbage on "Hammingbird Disaster" that fits the bill...The only 77/79 song they are known to have resurrected during the '85 sessions is "Still in Love", under the "Ralph's Tune" title and it's Mick on vox.

Someone's UserID here reminded me of the "Munich Hilton" song, that would have been a nice backing track for Mick to work on, although maybe a bit repetitive.

Upon further listen I'm still not convinced the "Do you think" vocals are entirely new, they were pretty good in the first place, it could be they just erased the chord change calls.

Oh and I'm not sure what they did to Keith's vocal on "We had it all" but the one on the boot sounds a lot better to my ears, this new one is a bit rambling and borderline out of tune :-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 10:24 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:02

gotdablouse
Oh and I'm not sure what they did to Keith's vocal on "We had it all" but the one on the boot sounds a lot better to my ears, this new one is a bit rambling and borderline out of tune :-(

It seems that they used 'cher effect' - some kind of auto-tune. Because it does not sound natural to my ears.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 9, 2011 12:07

Funny this modern net age of music: one starts to listen the album first by a random radio play of one song that is uploaded all over the world. Then one gets a minute and half tastes of all the songs....

Okay, let me go along the ride and give my inpressions by so far: I have listened probably few dozens time all the tracks during the last few days. The first over-all impression, after listening them through very first time ever, was that the songs were okay - nothing "Plundered My Soul" kind of surprises or quality - and the band sound okay but Jagger ruined the thing with (a) being presented way too loud, (b) his new overdubs. But that was just the very first impression. Let's see how he things look now:

"Claudine": this is a great song and performance. Wonderful sounds - the shuffle and the guitars captured wonderfully... could have made EMOTIONAL RESCUE seemingly stronger. They should have replaced "Where The Boys Go" with it. My band.

"So Young": I still don't quite buy the idea of including the song here. They at least should have included "Everything's Turning to Gold" as well. Anyway, it sounds a mediocre Pathe Marconi era rocker, but don't have that special "x-factor", some kind of hook typical for them then. It didn't particularly shined when relaesed along VOODOO LOUNGE either.

"Do You Think I Really Care". Unfortunately Jagger's original vocals were not good enough (for whatever reason) to be released, and he can't repeat the magic he had then. But it is a great song, which typically has the Pathe marconi era "x-factor" in it. The natural groove and that rich melodic hook in it, they had for example, in "Let Me Go". Funnily again, I hear it belonging more to EMOIONAL RESCUE than to SOME GIRLS (I will say about this more later).

"When You are Gone". This is "Black Limousine"'s small brother. It has that TATTOO YOU production sound (the rhythm track with the guitars, the harmonica) and idea in it alot but Jagger's vocals just don't have the edge needed to be so convincing as he is in "Black Limousine".

"No Spare Parts": It definitively will not going to be another "Plundered". But probably it will be okay in its context as an album track. It is a bit dull but is still has some fine melodic nuances and possibilities in it that unfortunately Jagger can not really work out well.

"Don't Be Stranger". Sounds mediocre but has a nice feeling in it. Difficult o rate now. Oh yeha, it (with its rhytmic based structure and the way it is sang) reminds me of such an oddity as "Sweet Black Angel" (and later, Jagger's "Out of Focus")

"We Had It All". This is a bootleg classic, which has begged official relaese since it was done. Yeah, it's way too familiar for 'us' die-hards, but bloody hell - it is wonderful performance by Keith and the rest. I am sure this song will surprise many people when heard in the radio (if it gets there). Keith will have new fans - and now for musical reasons. He touches. I don't know but I hear Keith's false teeth there which makes it a kind of anomaly.... can it be a over-dub?

"Tallahassee Lassie": this song kicks some serious ass, man! No bloody strangled cat in Mick's shouting a all, and the band sounds like the 'greatest rock and roll band of the world' only can do. A pleasent surprise! I can see now the point in releasing so many cover tracks when they had gems like these in the can.

"I Love You Too Much". Jagger retries his 1977 Johnny Rotten imitation. Maybe too many many copies in the process, but I think a song like this needs to be included. This is the most SOME GIRLS type of thing of the lot. Yeah, sounds too obvious, especially in the guitar department, but shit, that's the sound of the era. It feels fresh.

"Keep Up Blues". This sounds STEEL WHEELS era blues format song. I suppose it was never even thought to be released in 1978-81. Just a rehearse of a certain form to warm up the band.

"You Win Again". I was suspicious in hearing the song included, and not sure even now either. Sounds a bit 'cheap' choice to please certain audiences. And there is enough c&w flavor in the album already without pointing a finger like with this one. I wished it had more the original punk-drunkness feeling it. It is somehow too polished now.

"Petrol Blues": I just love the natural vitality and spark the young Jagger had when backing himself up with just a guitar or a piano. "CS Blues", "Hide Your Love", etc. It is not such srtong as those open jams bbu still it has THAT x-factor which charms me everytime I hear it. He is so original, natural and fluidy, and not copying anyone. I suppose this is the cut they most doubted relevent enough to be relesed now, but I am glad they did. Gives some authenticity.

"So Young": I thought I heard this already... (Once again, including this is one of those transcendental, beyond all reason and sense, choices the band sometimes do...)

Over-all, from the base I know by now, it easily will be the best album they released since UNDERCOVER. What I find funny in the song selection and of their style and nature, is that probably it explains the method or policy they had in choicing the tracks for original SOME GIRLS. They picked up the ones that were most suitable for its function (they wanted to offer a certain picture of the band - and they succeed in it). They left some songs out simply because they weren't, say, punk enough, or relevant by other standard. Jagger commented then that they picked up the "first ten out of forty", but beyond the Rotten era bulsshit-talk, one could see that he is hinting that they really picked up the ten that mostly suited to the style they had in their mind. Thanks being so productive then, they had a lot of material to choose from. The original idea of MORE FAST SONGS was probaly the leading guide Jagger had in his mind, but at the time band entered the sudio, it wasn't any longer totally in his hands, and the results would be as contingent and unpredictable as they always are with the Stones.

What is funny with this collecion is that fashion-like it suits more as "extra album" to EMOTIONAL RESCUE or to TATTOO YOU, than to SOME GIRLS. The reason simply can be that at the time of making those albums, the ideas controlling the 'nature' of SOME GIRLS, were not present anymore. Thereby, the albums present The Stones more freely-going, a bit more relaxed. There is no "Lies" in them. Funnily, Keith mentioned during realaesing EMOTIONAL RESCUE that the band is more relaxed and secure in this album than in SOME GIRLS. Now I have started to understand Keith's point...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-09 12:18 by Doxa.

Date: November 9, 2011 12:59

Doxa
Funny this modern net age of music: one starts to listen the album first by a random radio play of one song that is uploaded all over the world. Then one gets a minute and half tastes of all the songs....

Okay, let me go along the ride and give my inpressions by so far: I have listened probably few dozens time all the tracks during the last few days. The first over-all impression, after listening them through very first time ever, was that the songs were okay - nothing "Plundered My Soul" kind of surprises or quality - and the band sound okay but Jagger ruined the thing with (a) being presented way too loud, (b) his new overdubs. But that was just the very first impression. Let's see how he things look now:

"Claudine": this is a great song and performance. Wonderful sounds - the shuffle and the guitars captured wonderfully... could have made EMOTIONAL RESCUE seemingly stronger. They should have replaced "Where The Boys Go" with it. My band.

"So Young": I still don't quite buy the idea of including the song here. They at least should have included "Everything's Turning to Gold" as well. Anyway, it sounds a mediocre Pathe Marconi era rocker, but don't have that special "x-factor", some kind of hook typical for them then. It didn't particularly shined when relaesed along VOODOO LOUNGE either.

"Do You Think I Really Care". Unfortunately Jagger's original vocals were not good enough (for whatever reason) to be released, and he can't repeat the magic he had then. But it is a great song, which typically has the Pathe marconi era "x-factor" in it. The natural groove and that rich melodic hook in it, they had for example, in "Let Me Go". Funnily again, I hear it belonging more to EMOIONAL RESCUE than to SOME GIRLS (I will say about this more later).

"When You are Gone". This is "Black Limousine"'s small brother. It has that TATTOO YOU production sound (the rhythm track with the guitars, the harmonica) and idea in it alot but Jagger's vocals just don't have the edge needed to be so convincing as he is in "Black Limousine".

"No Spare Parts": It definitively will not going to be another "Plundered". But probably it will be okay in its context as an album track. It is a bit dull but is still has some fine melodic nuances and possibilities in it that unfortunately Jagger can not really work out well.

"Don't Be Stranger". Sounds mediocre but has a nice feeling in it. Difficult o rate now. Oh yeha, it (with its rhytmic based structure and the way it is sang) reminds me of such an oddity as "Sweet Black Angel" (and later, Jagger's "Out of Focus")

"We Had It All". This is a bootleg classic, which has begged official relaese since it was done. Yeah, it's way too familiar for 'us' die-hards, but bloody hell - it is wonderful performance by Keith and the rest. I am sure this song will surprise many people when heard in the radio (if it gets there). Keith will have new fans - and now for musical reasons. He touches. I don't know but I hear Keith's false teeth there which makes it a kind of anomaly.... can it be a over-dub?

"Tallahassee Lassie": this song kicks some serious ass, man! No bloody strangled cat in Mick's shouting a all, and the band sounds like the 'greatest rock and roll band of the world' only can do. A pleasent surprise! I can see now the point in releasing so many cover tracks when they had gems like these in the can.

"I Love You Too Much". Jagger retries his 1977 Johnny Rotten imitation. Maybe too many many copies in the process, but I think a song like this needs to be included. This is the most SOME GIRLS type of thing of the lot. Yeah, sounds too obvious, especially in the guitar department, but shit, that's the sound of the era. It feels fresh.

"Keep Up Blues". This sounds STEEL WHEELS era blues format song. I suppose it was never even thought to be released in 1978-81. Just a rehearse of a certain form to warm up the band.

"You Win Again". I was suspicious in hearing the song included, and not sure even now either. Sounds a bit 'cheap' choice to please certain audiences. And there is enough c&w flavor in the album already without pointing a finger like with this one. I wished it had more the original punk-drunkness feeling it. It is somehow too polished now.

"Petrol Blues": I just love the natural vitality and spark the young Jagger had when backing himself up with just a guitar or a piano. "CS Blues", "Hide Your Love", etc. It is not such srtong as those open jams bbu still it has THAT x-factor which charms me everytime I hear it. He is so original, natural and fluidy, and not copying anyone. I suppose this is the cut they most doubted relevent enough to be relesed now, but I am glad they did. Gives some authenticity.

"So Young": I thought I heard this already... (Once again, including this is one of those transcendental, beyond all reason and sense, choices the band sometimes do...)

Over-all, from the base I know by now, it easily will be the best album they released since UNDERCOVER. What I find funny in the song selection and of their style and nature, is that probably it explains the method or policy they had in choicing the tracks for original SOME GIRLS. They picked up the ones that were most suitable for its function (they wanted to offer a certain picture of the band - and they succeed in it). They left some songs out simply because they weren't, say, punk enough, or relevant by other standard. Jagger commented then that they picked up the "first ten out of forty", but beyond the Rotten era bulsshit-talk, one could see that he is hinting that they really picked up the ten that mostly suited to the style they had in their mind. Thanks being so productive then, they had a lot of material to choose from. The original idea of MORE FAST SONGS was probaly the leading guide Jagger had in his mind, but at the time band entered the sudio, it wasn't any longer totally in his hands, and the results would be as contingent and unpredictable as they always are with the Stones.

What is funny with this collecion is that fashion-like it suits more as "extra album" to EMOTIONAL RESCUE or to TATTOO YOU, than to SOME GIRLS. The reason simply can be that at the time of making those albums, the ideas controlling the 'nature' of SOME GIRLS, were not present anymore. Thereby, the albums present The Stones more freely-going, a bit more relaxed. There is no "Lies" in them. Funnily, Keith mentioned during realaesing EMOTIONAL RESCUE that the band is more relaxed and secure in this album than in SOME GIRLS. Now I have started to understand Keith's point...

- Doxa

I have never heard this version before. I was very disappointed when I heard this. What's with Keith's voice? He sounds like he has something in his throat...

WHY didn't they release the perfect We Had It All-version that we already had on bootlegs???

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2011 14:52

DandelionPowderman
WHY didn't they release the perfect We Had It All-version that we already had on bootlegs???

because most people that its aimed at would complain they already had it.

Its a good compromise. Two very similar versions - so they pick the one that hasnt been bootlegged. Sounds sensible to me.

Still shouldnt be on there anyway, as its from 1979, but thats another issue.

Date: November 9, 2011 15:06

Gazza
DandelionPowderman

because most people that its aimed at would complain they already had it.

Its a good compromise. Two very similar versions - so they pick the one that hasnt been bootlegged. Sounds sensible to me.

Still shouldnt be on there anyway, as its from 1979, but thats another issue.

Yeah, you're probably right. And I've only heard 30 seconds of this version, so it could very well surprise me for the better. Still, there was something weird about Keith's voice in the snippet I heard.

There are many songs that shouldn't have been on this album - the RCA tracks, ER-sessions etc. smiling smiley

Date: November 9, 2011 15:08

gotdablouse
Hillside Blues
Some info on Love You Too Much (I Can't Help it) on Keno's ROLLING STONES Web Site.

"First recorded in late 1977, then again in early 1985, never released. There are several different versions of this song, the early ones have Mick Jagger singing lead, sounding like Johnny Rotten. Keith Richards, who wrote the song about Anita Pallenberg, hated the way it turned out. It was later re-recorded as a much slower, acoustic guitar song, with Keith on lead vocals and Ronnie Wood on steel slide."
[www.keno.org]

Anyone have any more info about this? Never heard a Keith vocal version.

Same here, I keep close tabs on the outtakes and never heard of a 1985 version, let alone with Keith on vox. I suppose there could be some garbage on "Hammingbird Disaster" that fits the bill...The only 77/79 song they are known to have resurrected during the '85 sessions is "Still in Love", under the "Ralph's Tune" title and it's Mick on vox.

Someone's UserID here reminded me of the "Munich Hilton" song, that would have been a nice backing track for Mick to work on, although maybe a bit repetitive.

Upon further listen I'm still not convinced the "Do you think" vocals are entirely new, they were pretty good in the first place, it could be they just erased the chord change calls.

Might be mixed up with "You're Too Much" from the DW-sessions?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 9, 2011 15:41

thanks for posting - mighty good stuff, way bluesy and countrified.

pretty good band, eh?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 9, 2011 16:25

Regarding SO YOUNG.

iTunes has ANOTHER version listed as a bonus track: SO YOUNG (PIANO VERSION).

Listening to the preview it's actually a unique mix, so there is now three (3) versions:

- Love Is Strong b-side
- Some Girls Deluxe version
- iTunes (and Japan???) only Piano version

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 9, 2011 16:39

So again only the UK (and Japan) gets a version unavaiable to the rest of us? Just like the better version of Plundered.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 9, 2011 19:21

Is the vocal on Tallahassee Lassie the original '78 vocal?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 9, 2011 19:25

Please! Help me out! I want to listen tooooo!!! I cant seem to get that Itune-thing to work!!! Help...please...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 9, 2011 19:35

Bjorn
Please! Help me out! I want to listen tooooo!!! I cant seem to get that Itune-thing to work!!! Help...please...

once you have installed itunes and launched it scroll down until you see the flag of your country in the form of a button, push it and on the next page scroll until you see a similar button but with the uk union jack on it, push it
now that you have switched to iTunes Uk try a search (on the upper right corner of the page) with some girls
)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 9, 2011 20:25

Doxa
Over-all, from the base I know by now, it easily will be the best album they released since UNDERCOVER.- Doxa

you could have stopped there.

Date: November 9, 2011 20:33

I don't feel comfortable calling these outtake discs..."albums." I mean, would we say this to Mick's face? "So you guys recorded a new album...it sounds great!" It's a little tongue in cheek saying it's an "album"...sure I know that it's a bunch of new recordings over the old tracks...but at the end of the day, these are still leftovers joined together as a bonus disc on a reissue package.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 9, 2011 21:19

You can also listen to the songs, samples, on Amazon.co.uk under the download section!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 10, 2011 03:58

Justin
Is the vocal on Tallahassee Lassie the original '78 vocal?

Yes. Its just better mixed!

Date: November 10, 2011 05:23

Sweet, thanks!...sure does sound great.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 10, 2011 14:19

Justin
I don't feel comfortable calling these outtake discs..."albums." I mean, would we say this to Mick's face? "So you guys recorded a new album...it sounds great!" It's a little tongue in cheek saying it's an "album"...sure I know that it's a bunch of new recordings over the old tracks...but at the end of the day, these are still leftovers joined together as a bonus disc on a reissue package.

But the point is that the whole concept of "new studio album" losts its sense after one realizes that a "bunch of [over-dubbed] leftovers [from their peak days} joined together" has made the "real" studio albums from the last 25 years to sound so mediocre, even poor, compared to them. I find that almost like a reality-check concerning the quality of their music - what is that wahat actually makes the band so phenomenal. The music.

I admit that it is hard to see the EXILE bonus album as a cohesive unit, but as far SOME GIRLS version goes, I think it has intentionally tried to make an album-like listening experience. The way I see it is that with EXILE they put most of the energy to couple of songs, "singles" one could say (esp. "Plundered My Soul", "Following The River"), and gathered the rest around them filler-like. But with SOME GIRLS they now seem to think the product more a cohesive unit. Let's see how is the next product like; how they develop the concept.

Besides, talking about "new albums" seems a bit unusual or nostalgic topic of conservation with Mick anyway. For the last 15 years, what we have: BRIDGES TO BABYLON (1997); A BIGGER BANG (2005).... and in both cases, one cannot claim they put too much time or band effort to them... I mean they are not very profilic releaaing such things as "new albums" at all, now are they? Jagger could quite frankly admit that "we don't like doing new albums any longer. Not our cup of tea these days, as you can see if you have little bit followed our actions". Why this is so, needs further analysis, and no reason to go there now.

I think it is time to start accepting the nature of new Rolling Stones albums from now on, or the way the band "exists". Now, having two bonus albums with 'new' material' in two years is actually remarkable a sign of productivity in Stones terms! In fact, I don't complain at all. I prefer to have a new bonus disc every year with a decent and interesting material from the times they were hot and fresh than a "new album" a'la A BIGGER BANG, consisting recicling their old cliches without inspiration adding nothing to their musical vocabulary, in every 8 years.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 14:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: engerling23 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 14:45

talking as a drummer and a sound engineer: Keep up Blues definitely has new recorded drums on it. for sure!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 10, 2011 16:55

Interesting point Doxa. Maybe you are right and this is the future of The Rolling Stones. A lot of older rockers have been saying for sometime that no one cares about new albums. Such a shame, because actually there are a few good ones. George Thorogoods last two were great, and also I like Cheap Tricks last album, to name a few. Getting back to these new bonus tracks I believe that I will love them like a new album. Furthermore, Plundered My Soul is my favorite Stones track since Love Is Strong.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 10, 2011 16:58

the difference between Exile and Some Girls deluxe packages is that the Exile stuff sounded like Exile...in the past...and Plundered is a wonderful new gift/addition...the Some Girl package sounds recent and alive..it doesn't have a retro patina on it....it sounds like something they'd put out today if they had a contemporary producer....can't wait for the CD

Posted by: Jehtie ()
Date: November 10, 2011 18:25

Ronnie is playing Claudine on his show right now!

Date: November 10, 2011 19:44

Doxa
Justin

But the point is that the whole concept of "new studio album" losts its sense after one realizes that a "bunch of [over-dubbed] leftovers [from their peak days} joined together" has made the "real" studio albums from the last 25 years to sound so mediocre, even poor, compared to them. I find that almost like a reality-check concerning the quality of their music - what is that wahat actually makes the band so phenomenal. The music.

I admit that it is hard to see the EXILE bonus album as a cohesive unit, but as far SOME GIRLS version goes, I think it has intentionally tried to make an album-like listening experience. The way I see it is that with EXILE they put most of the energy to couple of songs, "singles" one could say (esp. "Plundered My Soul", "Following The River"), and gathered the rest around them filler-like. But with SOME GIRLS they now seem to think the product more a cohesive unit. Let's see how is the next product like; how they develop the concept.

Besides, talking about "new albums" seems a bit unusual or nostalgic topic of conservation with Mick anyway. For the last 15 years, what we have: BRIDGES TO BABYLON (1997); A BIGGER BANG (2005).... and in both cases, one cannot claim they put too much time or band effort to them... I mean they are not very profilic releaaing such things as "new albums" at all, now are they? Jagger could quite frankly admit that "we don't like doing new albums any longer. Not our cup of tea these days, as you can see if you have little bit followed our actions". Why this is so, needs further analysis, and no reason to go there now.

I think it is time to start accepting the nature of new Rolling Stones albums from now on, or the way the band "exists". Now, having two bonus albums with 'new' material' in two years is actually remarkable a sign of productivity in Stones terms! In fact, I don't complain at all. I prefer to have a new bonus disc every year with a decent and interesting material from the times they were hot and fresh than a "new album" a'la A BIGGER BANG, consisting recicling their old cliches without inspiration adding nothing to their musical vocabulary, in every 8 years.

- Doxa

Nice post Doxa but I'm just not yet where you are in seeing the current state of these bonus discs as full, realized albums. We must consider that one of the reasons why the Some Girls bonus songs flow so well as to mimic a full album is because Mick was working with far more finished material than he was with the Exile tracks. Most of the songs were already completed on Some Girls and save for a few minor touchup guitar and vocals, the outtakes took less work than Exile's. That might account for the more "finished" feel on this Some Girls set.

Like I said earlier, at the end of the day these songs are still Disc 2 of a Some Girls reissue package. The songs don't really have their own separate identity and the statement Mick and crew are making by pairing this bonus disc with the main album is simple: these bonus songs go with this studio album. I mean, things would be mighty different if Mick released these songs on a separate disc all together, different title, different cover and different release date from the Some Girls release...and I think it would be very clear to all of us what would be going on then.

Like you said, let's see what the future products will bring us. But I foresee just more of the same...Mick intervening and touching up every outtake and unfinished song before it's released. I'm careful to not confuse Mick's anal retentiveness for any late career artistic enthusiasm.

Date: November 10, 2011 19:50

Hillside Blues
Justin
WilliamPatrickMaynard
"I Love You Too Much" is another standout. As with "Do You Think I Really Care" the lyrical changes appear to be minimal and the new vocal works well. I love this. Yes, I'm assuming it is a latterday vocal, but I'm not certain.

Sounds like a 2011 overdub to me.

Jagger just added some vocals in the chorus, the rest is from '77. If you don't believe me just compare it to the bootleg take. It's 95% the same.

From what I hear in that 90 second clip, Mick has erased the original vocal and replaced with a completely new 2011 vocal (including a new harmony vocal on the chorus)...no doubt about it.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 10, 2011 20:27

Don't be so sure, he wouldn't have been able to duplicate his old vocals so precisely. For example the noise he makes after the line "Their all laughin' while I cry in my beer" and just before "I never give in". Can't be anything but vintage.

Date: November 10, 2011 20:33

haha well that's the one of the smoking guns right there...those lyrics were never in the original track....

The bolded area is the part of the song we hear in the sample.

Original lyrics:

Do You Think I Really Care? (aka Yellow Cab )
(Jagger/Richards/Wood)

Here I come...

Do you think I could ever care
'Bout a girl, who's never there?
'Bout a girl who's never there?
I saw her on the subway
Saw her on the D-train
Saw her in the afternoon
After all the Giants' games
Saw her on the freeway
Saw her on a highway
Gimme a break, I need a Yellow Cab
Help me get outta this rain

'Bout a girl who's almost never there?
Do you think the clothes she wears
Would change my mind
Or turn my hair?
I saw her on a freeway
Saw her on a A-train
Saw her hangin' out
On 52nd and Broad
Saw her on a highway
Saw her on a skyway
Ahhhh, need a Yellow Cab, Ronnie
Let me get outta the rain

Yeah......g'head
Good job
Yeah!

I saw her on a highway
On a D-train
I saw her eatin' a pizza
On 75th and Broadway
Saw her on a subway
On a biplane
Ahh, I'm getting tired o' this shit
I need a Yellow Cab
Help me get outta this rain

'Bout a girl who's almost never there?
Do you think ......could ever care
'Bout a girl who cares about the...the clothes she wears?
'Bout a girl that even dyes her hair?

The song
Do you think
Whooo
Oh no
Whooo

Ohhh, do you think I would really care
'Bout a woman......who's never there?
Do you think I'd ever care
'Bout a woman....the clothes she wears?

'Bout a girl who's hardly ever there?
Whooo! Whooo!
Well, that's alright
Whooo

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home