Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: 90 second samples of new Some Girls tracks available
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 8, 2011 03:26

souldoggie

Of course, some may submit that Stu (of all people) ruined a perfectly good song with a "plinky" sounding piano track, but my guess is that the Stu bashing will be kept to a minimum. I hope so, anyway.

stu sucked

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: November 8, 2011 04:51

StonesTod

stu sucked

LOL didn't say it wouldn't happen, after all this is the It's Only Rock n Roll message board....I said I hoped it would be kept to a minimum.
Dream dream dream (all I have to do) as the brothers once sang....

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 8, 2011 09:13

This is really fanastic! It's the kinda Stones I love! That outtake album sounds great! Easily their best since Tattoo You.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 8, 2011 09:57

Heard them yesterday on itunes - very nice, indeed! Surely better than Exile (Bonus), it sounds like a "real" new stones album to me, with the touch of the 70s. Tallahassee is punk-rock .... Looking forward to this release!

Date: November 8, 2011 10:04

big4
Mathijs
TeddyB1018
Mathijs

'Do You Think I Really Care' was once the best Stones outtake ever available, but now is just atrocious with this horrible Jagger vocals...There's some Ron Wood guitar lines that I have not heard before, and there's an awful piano solo.

Mathijs

According to the credits the piano was played by Ian Stewart.

According to the credits Jagger plays piano on Petrol Gang, while he talks to Ian Stewart. Could be that Stu did the 'percussion' though.

Mathijs

Credits or no credits I find it very hard to believe that is Jagger on Petrol Gang because it's a piano style he ever played before or since, but it certainly is in the style of Stu. And it would make sense for song to be added as a coda, giving a nod to Stu. Otherwise it makes little sense to include it.

Hide Your Love
Exile On Main Street Blues

+ In the review posted here some days ago, the reviewer said it was Jagger on piano.

Date: November 8, 2011 10:14

I like what I'm hearing. Still, I'm a bit puzzled about the many country numbers here. 5 or 6 country-ish tunes. It's not a very good documentation of what was going on in the studio in France in 1977.

But I'm not complaining, and I love good country.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 8, 2011 10:57

Don't you dare complain, ha-ha. You're right though, quite a lot of country sounds. The Exile fans should be in heaven with this one. I like very much what I heard. Some of the guitar work really jumped out at me, Claudine comes to mind in particular. Tallahasse Lassie is smokin' hot! Can't wait for this.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 8, 2011 11:03

DandelionPowderman
It's not a very good documentation of what was going on in the studio in France in 1977.

huh ? - why not, It´s been recorded in France 77

Date: November 8, 2011 11:17

seitan
DandelionPowderman
It's not a very good documentation of what was going on in the studio in France in 1977.

huh ? - why not, It´s been recorded in France 77

Because we have days of recordings from those sessions on bootlegs, and it wasn't like 60 percent of all those recordings were country tunes smiling smiley

Date: November 8, 2011 11:18

frankotero
Don't you dare complain, ha-ha. You're right though, quite a lot of country sounds. The Exile fans should be in heaven with this one. I like very much what I heard. Some of the guitar work really jumped out at me, Claudine comes to mind in particular. Tallahasse Lassie is smokin' hot! Can't wait for this.

Something tells me they're not winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 8, 2011 11:53

Thanks for the tip.

Only 5 tracks show up in the list for CD2 but all the new tracks play.

"So Young" sounds groovier than the 1994 version, maybe because of the piano. It seems like Mick still thought he was working on Exile outtakes with several shadow fake Keith shadow vocals (not really harmony vocals) like on most of the original Exile album!

The "Do You Think" vocal is really good, hard to believe it's a 2011 rerecording! Mick should have recorded a country album instead of wasting his time on the glitzy SH project.

"When you're gone" uses the same vocal sound effect as "Break the Spell"...in fact it could be that "Break the Spell" (aka Call Girl Blues apparently) was a rewrite of When You're Gone!

Too bad they didn't use the punky "Shaved Stone" version of "I Can't Help It", it would have provided a Lies/Respectable equivalent on the extra CD.

Too bad about Fiji Jim, Misty Roads and It's a Lie, surely wouldn't have killed them to work on three extra tracks!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 8, 2011 13:45

RobertJohnson
Must be careful, only 90 seconds, but I'm surprised. Whereas the additional tracks on Exile are real outtakes with exception of Following the River (a track, however, which doesn't fit to the original Exile), here we seem to get some substantial new tracks that match the quality level of the original album and have a similar nature. Great the blues oriented tracks and that they added "Some People Tell Me" ...

That! I am surprised as well about the quality of the songs. Of course we wait till we can hear the full version on 21st November.

I like to take my guitar and playing around with these songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 13:47 by Muddyw.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 8, 2011 14:35

I'm happy w/ the tracks, & can't wait for the leak. I'm still bothered they force me to be inconvenienced by adding Everything's Turnin' To Gold onto the end by myself - couldn't they have done that for me?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 8, 2011 14:50

TeddyB1018
Mathijs

'Do You Think I Really Care' was once the best Stones outtake ever available, but now is just atrocious with this horrible Jagger vocals...There's some Ron Wood guitar lines that I have not heard before, and there's an awful piano solo.

Mathijs

According to the credits the piano was played by Ian Stewart.

I compared with the bootleg version -it is Stu. They wiped Wood's pedal steel solo, and put Stu on the solo spot. Then later Wood takes over again. It is a bit difficult to hear as the vocal markers are gone, and the mix is so much different.

Mathijs

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 8, 2011 15:44

gotdablouse
Thanks for the tip.

Only 5 tracks show up in the list for CD2 but all the new tracks play.

did you scroll down?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 8, 2011 15:52

The longer I listen to the sampler of "We had it all" the stronger is a feeling that Keith re-recorded the vocal recently and somebody Auto-tune it (or something like that) to sound like 70-s. Maybe I am wrong...

But how one can explain that 'Cher effect' at 0.07-0.08 and 0.19-0.20 of the sampler?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 15:59 by ironbelly.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 8, 2011 16:18

I am impressed with WE HAD IT ALL. Of course we knew the version but the sound is perfect here : guitar and voice. I do not believe Keith is able to sound like this nowadays. His voice is broken by what you know.
At the time it was a really nice voice when singing some ballads.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:18

toomuchforme
I am impressed with WE HAD IT ALL. Of course we knew the version but the sound is perfect here : guitar and voice. I do not believe Keith is able to sound like this nowadays. His voice is broken by what you know.
At the time it was a really nice voice when singing some ballads.

I like his voice eeven better - where´jagger´s voice has suffered few knocks - Keith´s voice has gotten deeper and better - listen to " losing My Touch" or " How Could I Stop" - great deep dark raspy blues voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 17:18 by seitan.

Posted by: Rudolph ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:23

Hi Guys. Amazon UK has So Young available to download for free. Enjoy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 8, 2011 17:52

I'm starting to wonder if Mick and Don, instead of painfully listening to hours and hours of 16-tracks unmixed reels in search of the elusive gem went the easy/lazy route and just DLed the boot "Paris Results (Dog n Cat Records DAC-103)" [www.iorr.org]
and built their song selection from it.

A large amount of what's on the SG bonus cd is already on DAC-103... This seems weird to me. In other words do Mick and Don really do the required amount of excavation work for these re-releases? Knowing how "fond" Mick is of his past musical activities I'm beginning to wonder...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-08 18:09 by dcba.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: November 8, 2011 19:58

Rudolph

Thx Rudi! Unfortunately this doesn´t work from germany ... it is free, so someone might set a link, don´t really know!?!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 8, 2011 21:15

Didn't UK iTunes do this with Plundered My Soul? I hope this is not a special version like that was.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: November 8, 2011 21:21

Rudolph

Hi Rudy, can you send me an email?
my adress is not hidden.

Thanks.

M.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: November 8, 2011 22:20

Some info on Love You Too Much (I Can't Help it) on Keno's ROLLING STONES Web Site.

"First recorded in late 1977, then again in early 1985, never released. There are several different versions of this song, the early ones have Mick Jagger singing lead, sounding like Johnny Rotten. Keith Richards, who wrote the song about Anita Pallenberg, hated the way it turned out. It was later re-recorded as a much slower, acoustic guitar song, with Keith on lead vocals and Ronnie Wood on steel slide."
[www.keno.org]

Anyone have any more info about this? Never heard a Keith vocal version.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 8, 2011 22:50

Bashlets
go to Itunes, and scroll down and switch country to UK, and do a search for Some Girls and the deluxe edition will come up including a SO YOUNG with extra piano I guess. Claudine sounds original vocal too me.

I already had Itunes downloaded on my computer.
I went at the bottom of the page, changed the country for UK,but when I type " Some Girls " it says :

No shortcut found .No results were found. Please try a different search.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 8, 2011 22:59

dcba
I'm starting to wonder if Mick and Don, instead of painfully listening to hours and hours of 16-tracks unmixed reels in search of the elusive gem went the easy/lazy route and just DLed the boot "Paris Results (Dog n Cat Records DAC-103)" [www.iorr.org]
and built their song selection from it.

A large amount of what's on the SG bonus cd is already on DAC-103... This seems weird to me. In other words do Mick and Don really do the required amount of excavation work for these re-releases? Knowing how "fond" Mick is of his past musical activities I'm beginning to wonder...

If you listen to complete Place Pigalle volumes and Paris results you know that they have chosen the best left over available. Do you believe that other gems and which ones were not considered ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 8, 2011 23:09

gotdablouse
Too bad about Fiji Jim, Misty Roads and It's a Lie, surely wouldn't have killed them to work on three extra tracks!

You must be joking.
I'm sure that this output almost killed them.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 9, 2011 01:36

toomuchforme
If you listen to complete Place Pigalle volumes and Paris results you know that they have chosen the best left over available. Do you believe that other gems and which ones were not considered ?

Yes but does the "chosen best leftover" even apply because they rework existing outtakes with alternate unreleased and/or new vocals, guitar, etc?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 9, 2011 05:29

Thank God.

"Do You Think I Really Care" sounded great. Mick didn't F it up with the usual stuff, vocal wise. His vocals are exactly they way I like 'em: Cool, deep and full.

I think they may have looped the solos twice just to include Stu's wonderful piano solo in conjunction with Ronnie's steel guitar. Beautiful music moments there. Definitely a couple steps up over "No Spare Parts."

"Claudine" sounds great and "Tallahasssee Lassie" rocks.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 9, 2011 05:33

WilliamPatrickMaynard
"I Love You Too Much" is another standout. As with "Do You Think I Really Care" the lyrical changes appear to be minimal and the new vocal works well. I love this. Yes, I'm assuming it is a latterday vocal, but I'm not certain.

Sounds like a 2011 overdub to me.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home