Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Marc Maron's "Too Real" (Stones-related)
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 6, 2017 15:23

Hello, everyone. Yesterday the new stand-up special from comedian and avowed Stones fan premiered on Netflix. Around the show's second half he goes into a long bit about seeing the Stones a couple of years ago on their last American tour. It's a very funny bit, and while it definitely makes fun of the band in a few places (hey, it IS a comedy show after all), even when he takes digs at them you can tell it's from a place of love. Anyone familiar with Maron's "WTF" podcast should know that he's featured both Mick and Keith and most recently Steve Jordan as guests, and if you're a fan of Mr. Maron's neurotic, self-deprecating comedy then you should enjoy this too. Cheers!

Re: Marc Maron's "Too Real" (Stones-related)
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 6, 2017 18:41

i'll watch this for sure.

Maron has deep love for the Stones. he's also a guitar player

cool smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 6, 2017 23:02

Side-note: Maron's podcast had Steve Jordan last week. They discussed Keith some.

(Sorry, didn't see this mentioned at first above.)

When he interviewed Keith, he took Keith's offered cigarette, even though he had supposedly quit smoking. Maron was still on nicotine lozenges until very recently. He finally attended a Stones show 35 years after the last one he saw, after talking to both Mick and Keith briefly, separately, for his podcast.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 23:13 by angee.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 7, 2017 02:23

angee
Side-note: Maron's podcast had Steve Jordan last week. They discussed Keith some.

When he interviewed Keith, he took Keith's offered cigarette, even though he had supposedly quit smoking. Maron was still on nicotine lozenges until very recently. He finally attended a Stones show 35 years after the last one he saw, after talking to both Mick and Keith briefly, separately, for his podcast.

Why did he wait 35 years, anyone know?

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: September 7, 2017 03:43

35love
angee

Why did he wait 35 years, anyone know?

I believe from listening to his podcast since 2011, I think it was because of their age, even back then.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 7, 2017 04:50

I love Marc's podcast. It's one of the best in the business, and he gets to interview some amazing people (Keith, Springsteen, hell even President Obama stopped by his garage).

His standup? Not so much...I'm not big on alternative comedy. He's very talented, but I've watched some recent clips and it's not my thing.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: September 7, 2017 06:21

best part of Keith's smoking and offering Marc a cigarette was that they were recording the interview in the NYC NPR Studio which is a heavy bastion of PC behavior...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 7, 2017 17:41

Watching it now. This is excellent. Love Maron, but like some never been a big fan of his standup. I actually think this first half has been very solid. Some really funny stuff, and this Stones thing is just great. Everyone probably has slightly different feelings about the Stones these days but this hits all the general points that cross us all. Really funny, highly recommended to fans.

Bit starts 25 minutes into his current special, and lasts about 10 minutes. Its over at 35 minutes in. Worth checking out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-07 17:45 by RollingFreak.

Date: September 7, 2017 18:15

His last Netflix special was called Thinky Pain, and it was what kinda turned me off to his standup. I'd watched some of his '90s material and thought he was great, but he's transitioned more into alternative comedy (basically extended storytelling) in recent years, and I wasn't very enamored with the change in his style.

But since I love his podcasts, I'll give this new one a shot, if only for the Stones content.

Date: September 8, 2017 00:23

keefriff99
His last Netflix special was called Thinky Pain, and it was what kinda turned me off to his standup. I'd watched some of his '90s material and thought he was great, but he's transitioned more into alternative comedy (basically extended storytelling) in recent years, and I wasn't very enamored with the change in his style.

But since I love his podcasts, I'll give this new one a shot, if only for the Stones content.

Yeah, it does get pretty old after awhile. Pretty much after the Stones thing I'm not sure if it goes downhill, but kinda just becomes all the same. As you were kind of hinting at which is just naturally his style. Works for a podcast but not really as an hour plus standup special. Thought the first 15 of Trump stuff is good though (such an old topic at this point but I can still watch a hundred comics talk about it and its still pretty entertaining) then the 10 minutes pre Stones material works and gives the basis for the rest of the show. After the Stones stuff, which is really just good for us cause we get it you don't HAVE to really catch the rest IMO.

Date: September 8, 2017 01:25

I've seen hm live twice in the last few and enjoyed the act, especially when he brings in occasional interaction
with the audience.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-08 01:25 by angee.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 8, 2017 02:03

The new special is very good, much better than the last one. As for the Stones bit, it sounds like he could be posting here.

Date: September 8, 2017 05:19

RollingFreak
Watching it now. This is excellent. Love Maron, but like some never been a big fan of his standup. I actually think this first half has been very solid. Some really funny stuff, and this Stones thing is just great. Everyone probably has slightly different feelings about the Stones these days but this hits all the general points that cross us all. Really funny, highly recommended to fans.

Bit starts 25 minutes into his current special, and lasts about 10 minutes. Its over at 35 minutes in. Worth checking out.
This is FANTASTIC. Just finished the first 35 minutes as well, and he nailed everything that a lot of fans feel about the Rolling Stones nowadays. Really insightful, and you can tell he's a big fan who could do a deep-dive into the Stones mythology.

And the other material preceding it was solid too, especially the Trump voter stuff. This is so much better than Thinky Pain, at least for the first 35 minutes. I'll watch the rest later...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-08 05:21 by keefriff99.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 8, 2017 05:25

keefriff99
RollingFreak

This is FANTASTIC. Just finished the first 35 minutes as well, and he nailed everything that a lot of fans feel about the Rolling Stones nowadays. Really insightful, and you can tell he's a big fan who could do a deep-dive into the Stones mythology.

And the other material preceding it was solid too, especially the Trump voter stuff. This is so much better than Thinky Pain, at least for the first 35 minutes. I'll watch the rest later...

Totally agreed on all counts! I thought Thinky Pain was JUST okay, but this is miles above it. I love how a mutual love of Tom Petty is, to him, not enough to endear him to Trump voters! He's really found his new voice in his older age, and he definitely nails it down as far as the Stones ago. He basically says, as long as Mick doesn't fall and bust a hip, then there is still hope for all of us as we age!

Date: September 8, 2017 05:32

theimposter
keefriff99
RollingFreak

Totally agreed on all counts! I thought Thinky Pain was JUST okay, but this is miles above it. I love how a mutual love of Tom Petty is, to him, not enough to endear him to Trump voters! He's really found his new voice in his older age, and he definitely nails it down as far as the Stones ago. He basically says, as long as Mick doesn't fall and bust a hip, then there is still hope for all of us as we age!
It's been about 4 years since I've watched Thinky Pain, but I remember it being rather tedious and self-indulgent in parts. I'm sure that I've already laughed out loud harder and more often in the first 35 minutes of Too Real than I did in the entirety of Thinky Pain.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 8, 2017 05:52

I tried, couldn't do it.
Using the restroom with no choice but for viewer to wait
waiting for some kind of humor for subjecting me that never came,
I fast-forwarded to the RS @ 24 minutes in.
It's probably me, an old cranky mom,
but I have zero tolerance left for whining.
I'm sorry.
Got to 'he was worried he'd be let down by the show'
I couldn't relate.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 8, 2017 07:35

My wife would say she’s a cranky old mom too, and she laughed all the way through his new special. She runs hot and cold on Maron, too. I think that the idea that Maron would feel let down is supposed to be on Maron, not on the Stones. The Stones never make me feel old, but last time I saw David Bowie (his final tour I guess), I felt sad, like I was seeing nostalgia. I think it’s because the Stones are a band, and it’s great to hear them play together, and Mick always gives the goods, that it doesn’t sink into sentiment.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 9, 2017 00:47

The Stones but is pretty funny, but the one about Dave Matthews Band ten minutes later takes the cake.

If you like Maron I'd also recommend you to watch the series G.L.O.W on Netflix. It's about women's wrestling in the 80s. He's pretty funny in that as well.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 9, 2017 01:47

For people who have only followed the band on records and in the distant past, I understand how he didn't know if he'd be disappointed. When I and my younger brother went to Steel Wheels at IMax in Chicago, we were stunned at how absolutely great they sounded, compared to our (uninformed) expectations. I remember we turned to each other, like "Wha??," grinning widely. I tried not to miss a tour after that.

Maron isn't for everyone, either his podcasts with the monologues before, or his standups.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: September 9, 2017 20:30

I believe there are a lot of people like him. I know people that have been fans their entire lives but will not ever see them again. Probably did in the 90s and just said "they are too old, they aren't relevant anymore". Again, people that love this band but see no reason to ever return and slightly look down on those that would (or more appropriate feel they could convince you they are right and you are wrong).

I never had that with the Stones. I guess as an informed music person I know the Stones, no matter how old and static the setlist, still put on a good show. McCartney the same, Bruce the same, many others the same. I did have Maron's thought though about Aerosmith a decade ago. I love Aerosmith, but wouldn't go cause I'd heard so many bad things. Combine that with it being around the time Steven fell off the stage, and the fact that they were playing relatively short 12-15 song set shows, I just saw no reason and didn't want to be let down. I finally did, with basement expectations, and they were outstanding. Seriously, @#$%& outstanding. I've gone two more times since and scream their praise from the rooftops cause they deserve it. Cause there are probably people like I was on the fence and thats fair for some bands but some are still good enough. I think thats how Maron felt about the Stones, and the Stones should get proper credit for regardless of what you think about setlist and who is in or out of the band, they still put on a proper show. Every single night.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 10, 2017 21:01

His Stones stuff was great. It was an honest account and you can tell he' a true fan.

Also, I'm gunna download Clomper so I can catch up on Turd Journey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 21:01 by ryanpow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home