Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nice account of Van Halen meeting Mick before 1981 Tangerine Bowl shows
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 8, 2017 17:12

Have always wondered what the vibe was between Mick and David Lee Roth/Van Halen in 1981. Van Halen's former tour manager has a new book which has a few pages on the 1981 Tangerine Bowl shows, the band meeting Mick, etc.

Decent book if you have even a passing interest in Van Halen.

(Source: Runnin' with the Devil; Noel E. Monk)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-08 17:18 by punkfloyd.

Re: Nice account of Van Halen meeting Mick before 1981 Tangerine Bowl shows
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 8, 2017 17:23

Roth has mellowed out in recent years and gives the Stones a lot of praise and respect, but I'm sure at the time he thought Mick was old news and a has-been, and that he was the new rock god on the scene.

DLR was one HELL of a frontman back then. Unfortunately, his ego and buffoonish antics overshadow a lot of that, but he was truly amazing back in the day.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 8, 2017 18:10

keefriff99
Roth has mellowed out in recent years and gives the Stones a lot of praise and respect, but I'm sure at the time he thought Mick was old news and a has-been, and that he was the new rock god on the scene.

DLR was one HELL of a frontman back then. Unfortunately, his ego and buffoonish antics overshadow a lot of that, but he was truly amazing back in the day.

Speaking of DLR.....I remember seeing Van Halen in the early to mid 80's on back to back nights. At one point a roll of TP was thrown on to the stage, DLR responded, "Who through that!, After the show I'm going to ---- your girlfriend."
I thought, hey, that's a good one...until the next night when the same thing happened at the exact same point in the show >grinning smiley<

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 8, 2017 23:34

BluzDude
keefriff99

Speaking of DLR.....I remember seeing Van Halen in the early to mid 80's on back to back nights. At one point a roll of TP was thrown on to the stage, DLR responded, "Who through that!, After the show I'm going to ---- your girlfriend."
I thought, hey, that's a good one...until the next night when the same thing happened at the exact same point in the show >grinning smiley<

Being a huge VH fan, I know that he says that at almost every show, whether it's throwing toilet paper or someone in the front yelling at him. Also, at some point, he'll stop singing and say "I forgot the f--king words".

The back cover of Diver Down shows the band doing their final bows at the Orlando show.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: September 9, 2017 03:14

Mick and Dave...

There are no frontmen higher in the annals of Rock!

And Edward has always been my favorite guitarist...

But, if you want spectacle and sheer fame earned in music, it's The Stones, hands down!! Hard to meet a stranger who won't know The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: September 9, 2017 03:53

keefriff99
... but I'm sure at the time he thought Mick was old news and a has-been, and that he was the new rock god on the scene.

wtf? Did you even read the pages above?

Date: September 9, 2017 03:56

punkfloyd
Have always wondered what the vibe was between Mick and David Lee Roth/Van Halen in 1981. Van Halen's former tour manager has a new book which has a few pages on the 1981 Tangerine Bowl shows, the band meeting Mick, etc.

Decent book if you have even a passing interest in Van Halen.

(Source: Runnin' with the Devil; Noel E. Monk)

[i.imgur.com][/img]
[i.imgur.com][/img]
[i.imgur.com][/img]

Cool... thanks for posting. That was a nice read.
I will read this book someday... they say it is a fun tell all from the guy who ran the show in the heyday... and it sounds like he did not get the respect he was due. I have read snippets and it is... interesting. I only accidentally heard about it a month ago, didn't seem to get a lot of press.

Date: September 9, 2017 04:04

HankM
keefriff99
... but I'm sure at the time he thought Mick was old news and a has-been, and that he was the new rock god on the scene.

No I didn't, because my work servers filter out linked images. I'm only reading it now.

My opinion was based solely on how Dave used to behave back in the '80s. I never said he would say anything disrespectful right to Mick's face.

Date: September 9, 2017 04:12

keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99

No I didn't, because my work servers filter out linked images. I'm only reading it now.

My opinion was based solely on how Dave used to behave back in the '80s. I never said he would say anything disrespectful right to Mick's face.

Damned work server filters! Now we have to read the whole book...
I am waiting until it hits 2 bucks w/free shipping on ebay... but it is on my list

Date: September 9, 2017 04:17

Date: September 9, 2017 04:21

If you dig VH, get this book... No one else on the inside has written their story except for Valerie's first one, which is good in it's own way.

My biggest surprise was how Monk wasn't involved in the music... The band seemed to hole up and do their thing, and he made the machine work when it was time to get on the road.

At 15, my first show was Van Halen in '81 at Hara Arena in Dayton, and that day literally showed me that live music was my chosen form of entertainment!

Even then, it struck me how they could make their songs bigger and better than the sound on the LP... truly at their peak on stage!

Pardon me, I'd talk Stones and VH all day long...

Date: September 9, 2017 04:22

HankM
keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99

I am waiting until it hits 2 bucks w/free shipping on ebay... but it is on my list
Definitely a cool little story though. The guys in Van Halen are odd ducks for sure. Michael Anthony is the only normal one in the bunch.

Date: September 9, 2017 04:57

TKinOH
If you dig VH, get this book... No one else on the inside has written their story except for Valerie's first one, which is good in it's own way.

My biggest surprise was how Monk wasn't involved in the music... The band seemed to hole up and do their thing, and he made the machine work when it was time to get on the road.

At 15, my first show was Van Halen in '81 at Hara Arena in Dayton, and that day literally showed me that live music was my chosen form of entertainment!

Even then, it struck me how they could make their songs bigger and better than the sound on the LP... truly at their peak on stage!

thumbs up Back in the hey day they were pretty freekin rockandfknroll!! The only issue is try to find any live concert recordings that match my memory. I saw every tour they did in the heyday from 79 to whenever... and I thought it was awesome, but...

Still on a shelf in my mind is a box of good times which can not be altered.
VanFknHalenRockandFknRoll smileys with beer

Posted by: dropped ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:00

Absolutely my 2 favorite bands. I discovered VH after I had discovered Some Girls. To this day, my 2 favorite albums are Van Halen and Some Gorls.

Mick gave Ed quite a compliment. Ed impresses me with the soulfulness of his playing especially the rhythm. 2 favorite rhythm players - Keef and Ed.

Date: September 9, 2017 05:12

keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99

Definitely a cool little story though. The guys in Van Halen are odd ducks for sure. Michael Anthony is the only normal one in the bunch.
And from I recently learned/heard (it could be a lie) they fuked over Michael completely. I heard/read fkg EVH and DLR forced Michael to sign over his rights to all the songs with his name on them if he wanted to do the 2006 tour.

As I said, it could be a lie, I hope it is lie... cuz that is bullsht! One of my favorite things ALWAYS about VH was looking at their records, reading their LPs, and every non-cover song had all 4 of their names under it. I thought that was awesome and great idea becasue I have long known that one sure way to ruin a band is who gets rich on record sales and who doesn't and it ruins the band... from Abba to the everyone... except somehow the Stones can survive it. Somehow.

It could be a lie about them taking away Mikes royalties, but if it is true it makes me like EVH and DLR less and less and less... those dumbasses... ruining what was such a great band... I guess eddie lost his mind... from hiring that stock broker looking goof to sing to dumping him and getting back with Dave then dumping him then firing Michael Anthony proper and getting wolfy? wtf? wtf? WTF? WTF!!?? anyway...

Yeah Micheal Anthony is still awesome in my book and the only one I still like as a rock star.... but Fk VH these days... They will always have a spot on my mind shelf, but fk them these days.

HEY!!!
THE STONES ARE PLAYING LIVE AGAIN IN 15 HOURS!!!
WOOOHOOO!!!!! ROCK AND ROLL 2017!!!
LONG LIVE THEW GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE GALAXY!!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:21

Did DLR ever come out of the closet?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:28

I saw Van Halen at the US Festival '83 and they were a bunch of BOZO's.

I did like some of their studio albums - specifically the first one as it was groundbreaking with Eddie's virtuoso guitar playing.
After that, a few decent random tunes scattered about, but nothing good at all about them when Sammy joined the band.

Date: September 9, 2017 05:29

Koen
Did DLR ever come out of the closet?
Nope... him and Tom Cruise still in there with John Travolta

Tom Cruise...come outtathecloset

Date: September 9, 2017 05:56

HankM
keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99
HankM
keefriff99

And from I recently learned/heard (it could be a lie) they fuked over Michael completely. I heard/read fkg EVH and DLR forced Michael to sign over his rights to all the songs with his name on them if he wanted to do the 2006 tour.

As I said, it could be a lie, I hope it is lie... cuz that is bullsht! One of my favorite things ALWAYS about VH was looking at their records, reading their LPs, and every non-cover song had all 4 of their names under it. I thought that was awesome and great idea becasue I have long known that one sure way to ruin a band is who gets rich on record sales and who doesn't and it ruins the band... from Abba to the everyone... except somehow the Stones can survive it. Somehow.

It could be a lie about them taking away Mikes royalties, but if it is true it makes me like EVH and DLR less and less and less... those dumbasses... ruining what was such a great band... I guess eddie lost his mind... from hiring that stock broker looking goof to sing to dumping him and getting back with Dave then dumping him then firing Michael Anthony proper and getting wolfy? wtf? wtf? WTF? WTF!!?? anyway...

Yeah Micheal Anthony is still awesome in my book and the only one I still like as a rock star.... but Fk VH these days... They will always have a spot on my mind shelf, but fk them these days.

HEY!!!
THE STONES ARE PLAYING LIVE AGAIN IN 15 HOURS!!!
WOOOHOOO!!!!! ROCK AND ROLL 2017!!!
LONG LIVE THEW GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE GALAXY!!!
Eddie got into meth in the early 2000s and was completely out of it on their 2004 tour with Sammy and Michael. You can see photos of him...gaunt, teeth all rotted out, hair a wild mess. It was embarrassing. By the end of the tour, Sammy and Michael were beyond disgusted and the entire tour ended up being a disaster.

Luckily he got himself in excellent shape prior to the DLR reunion tour in 2007, but they didn't bring Michael back because he was perceived as being a "Sammy" guy. Even without drugs and alcohol, Eddie is a headcase. Just a very odd, mercurial, tortured personality...not unusual for geniuses, I guess.

I doubt DLR had anything to do with screwing Michael over. Eddie and Alex are pretty much in control of Van Halen's business practices (along with Iving Azoff).

Also, DLR is on record that he thought Michael Anthony should have been onstage with them for the last tour they did instead of Eddie's son, who is a great bassist and singer in his own right, but should be off doing his own thing with the talent he has (which he's started doing).

Date: September 9, 2017 06:07

Here's a great article that documented what happened in 2004. Crazy stuff...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

As you can see, Roth had nothing to do with forcing Anthony to sign away his rights to VH.

Date: September 9, 2017 06:08

Keep in mind the times...

When the band was as funked up as the crowd, Dave was the ultimate at leading the charge! As a teenager, you just knew anything could happen at a VH show, and it always did...

My first at 15 in Dayton was w my best bud, his Dad took us... an Ohio Highway Patrolman! Ran into some guys from Troy, our hometown, and grabbed seats next to them. They asked "Isn't Jeff's Dad a cop? Is he gonna bust us?" I said "What can he do? Arrest 7,000 people?"

That was a VH show back in the day...

And 2 months later my Dad returned the flavor and took us to see The Priest for my 16th BDay gift!

Nowhere else but Hara!

Date: September 9, 2017 06:11

TKinOH
Keep in mind the times...

When the band was as funked up as the crowd, Dave was the ultimate at leading the charge! As a teenager, you just knew anything could happen at a VH show, and it always did...

My first at 15 in Dayton was w my best bud, his Dad took us... an Ohio Highway Patrolman! Ran into some guys from Troy, our hometown, and grabbed seats next to them. They asked "Isn't Jeff's Dad a cop? Is he gonna bust us?" I said "What can he do? Arrest 7,000 people?"

That was a VH show back in the day...

And 2 months later my Dad returned the flavor and took us to see The Priest for my 16th BDay gift!

Nowhere else but Hara!
That's awesome! Wish I'd been born 10 years earlier sometimes.

Date: September 9, 2017 06:21

Kinda shines a light on why I feel so, so lucky to have been able to take my daughters to see The Stones in Columbus in 2015 for their first ever show. Didn't really think I'd get a chance, but they're 15 and 14 now, and we know how amazing The Stones are at surprising us with their longevity...

There was more than one person that asked them if it was their first show that night, and they all told them how they'd look back on it and feel lucky that their Dad took them to see The Rolling Stones... I was the Best Dad Ever, at least for one night! Hahaha

Now I hope they'll bring that new stage over to North America next year so I can take them again!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 9, 2017 07:52

DGA35
BluzDude
keefriff99

Being a huge VH fan, I know that he says that at almost every show, whether it's throwing toilet paper or someone in the front yelling at him.

Indeed...

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 9, 2017 10:33

TKinOH

I was 15 and my first show was Van Halen in 81 at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, just days before the Oakland shows where the Unchained, Hear About It Later and So This Is Love vids were filmed (must sees on Youtube)! The holy grail for Van Halen fans is a release of this whole concert (if it exists). Loved this tour and also my favorite Alex Van Halen drum kit.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 9, 2017 14:14

Talking about VH, Eruption was recorded 40 years ago:

[www.vhnd.com]

Date: September 9, 2017 14:53

keefriff99
Here's a great article that documented what happened in 2004. Crazy stuff...

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

As you can see, Roth had nothing to do with forcing Anthony to sign away his rights to VH.
sad smileyThat is very shameful of evh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-09 16:17 by HankM.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: September 9, 2017 16:47

Nice comments guys! I'm glad I decided to post the excerpt from book.

Personally Van Halen started to lose me with 1984 (when I was 14!). But I still find their ongoing drama fascinating. Sammy's book from about 10 years ago is a good read too.

I suspect all the bullshit could have been avoided if they stayed away from drugs.

Drugs are bad mmmkay. Don't do drugs.

Date: September 9, 2017 17:11

punkfloyd
Nice comments guys! I'm glad I decided to post the excerpt from book.

I am glad you did too. I considered posting about the book here when I found out about it, but I have not had great experiences trying/doing that kind of thing here, but I am glad you posted. smileys with beer

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 9, 2017 18:44

What's the history with these guys and the green (or brown) M&M's?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home