Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:06

Anybody seeing them this time around? I've got tickets for Nashville 4/25 !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 14:33 by bv.

Re: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 40th Ann Tour
Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:49

Saw him 2 years ago found him surprisingly boring/bland

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:54

Saw him 2 years ago found him engaging and in top form...one of the best live bands around today.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:56

potus43
Saw him 2 years ago found him surprisingly boring/bland

Interesting take potus43...

They used to be an absolute cooker of a live band, but something seemed to change a few years back. I, too, was disappointed the last time I saw them and skipped the last go around.

Perhaps the nostalgia of the 40th will 'liven up' this tour.
I hope so!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:58

Waiting for the TO show!

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 22, 2017 00:01

Just adding I really like his Sirius radio show, he plugs the Stones a lot, play deep cuts. Had a Andrew Loog interview on there a few weeks back. Have no clue what POTUS listens too, they are still one of the rockingest bands out there, Mike Campbell don't get enough credit of what he brings on the road...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 22, 2017 00:50

Been meaning to see him for years and finally will be this June. Definitely see what you mean about the bland thing. Not that I think he'll be like that, but his shows are pretty similar tour to tour. Its why I've never jumped. Cause he'll always reliably be there and this just happens to be the year I don't have another big concert to see so he'll be it. But yeah, a show I only plan to see once. He's in that Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, AC/DC on and on list of people that play pretty much the same thing each time and once is usually enough. For all the grief the Stones get, including from myself, I do think they are kinda in that category but play enough different stuff tour to tour to justify a second or third show for a casual fan. You'll probably hear about 10 songs different, which you probably won't with Petty and Mac, etc.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 22, 2017 02:24

RollingFreak
Been meaning to see him for years and finally will be this June. Definitely see what you mean about the bland thing. Not that I think he'll be like that, but his shows are pretty similar tour to tour. Its why I've never jumped. Cause he'll always reliably be there and this just happens to be the year I don't have another big concert to see so he'll be it. But yeah, a show I only plan to see once. He's in that Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, AC/DC on and on list of people that play pretty much the same thing each time and once is usually enough. For all the grief the Stones get, including from myself, I do think they are kinda in that category but play enough different stuff tour to tour to justify a second or third show for a casual fan. You'll probably hear about 10 songs different, which you probably won't with Petty and Mac, etc.

I've saw him twice. Once in 1991 and Once in 1995. In 1995 I saw Van Halen two weeks prior and they were simply great. I was going in hoping I was gonna get a good show ...being as Van Halen were fabulous two weeks prior at the same venue..

guess what... Tom Petty was every bit as good. They (he and the Heart Breakers) sounded great ... Performed from the heart... rocked out.. they nailed you.

Go ... You will not regret it.

Ian

Date: April 22, 2017 06:03

Same thing happened to me. Saw them in their glory years.
Then again much later. Second time was really tame. Benmont, and the new drummer, but mainly Tom Petty himself, and all the solo album songs really dragged on and on.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2017 06:13

I saw them opening for, and then backing Bob Dylan at the L.A. Forum back in 1986.
Never bothered to see Tom Petty again, but have seen Dylan many times since.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 22, 2017 06:49

Hairball
I saw them opening for, and then backing Bob Dylan at the L.A. Forum back in 1986.

Funny I was at that show and that's when I decided I would see Petty many times again (and have B4), but never see Dylan again, he was just Awful!

Date: April 22, 2017 07:17

BluzDude
Hairball

Funny I was at that show and that's when I decided I would see Petty many times again (and have B4), but never see Dylan again, he was just Awful!

Same here. Saw Dylan & Petty at the Amnesty Show at The Forum in June 1986...first of many times for TP, but only saw Dylan once after (during an encore at at TP Forum concert in 1990!). Really nothing against Bob, though - I like him, just never got around to seeing him again.

Date: April 22, 2017 09:04

BluzDude
Hairball

Different strokes for different folks! thumbs up

I think this was around the time Tom Petty started to try and sing and write like Dylan.
Next thing you know, they both become part of the Traveling Wilburys. I always found it odd that Petty was in that band - he seemed a bit out of his league.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 22, 2017 10:14

Hairball
BluzDude
Hairball

Different strokes for different folks! thumbs up

I think this was around the time Tom Petty started to try and sing and write like Dylan.
Next thing you know, they both become part of the Traveling Wilburys. I always found it odd that Petty was in that band - he seemed a bit out of his league.

Thank god that didn't work out....don't get me wrong, I love Dylan's song writing, but to listening to him sing, well to me I'd rather hear someone scrape their fingernails on a chalkboard for an hour..

,,,but you are right, different strokes for different folks

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 22, 2017 13:10

Is there any film of his amazing tour c.1991 when he had a "magic tree" in the middle of the stage?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2017 15:27

Tom is greatness...there is no place where he is out of his league. He's got so many great originals and he sings Heart of Stone and For What It's Worth better than the originals...go tommy go...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 22, 2017 18:51

Kurt
They used to be an absolute cooker of a live band, but something seemed to change a few years back...

Yes! It was the Traveling Wilburys. That was a great project, but ever since, Petty tried to become Dylan, but not really successful at it, if you ask me. Most of his new singles all had that same feel (not that the songs weren't decent, but most plodded along and certainly weren't great). That's my take ...

*Edit* Oh, and as for Dylan, from what I understand -- I haven't seen him but a friend did a few years ago -- he only plays piano in concert these days. I'll pass on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 18:54 by LeonidP.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: April 22, 2017 22:33

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have quite an impressive catalog of songs.

Mike Campbell is such a great, tasteful guitar player with vintage tones to die for.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 22, 2017 23:57

Silver Dagger
Is there any film of his amazing tour c.1991 when he had a "magic tree" in the middle of the stage?
This one?
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 23, 2017 10:52

I saw Tom a lot back in the day but haven't for years. I read this is the last major tour & opportunity knocked. I got some real good seats for the last standalone (non festival) show. No Joe Walsh in Seattle though! Should be good.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 23, 2017 22:16

That shouldn't have been surprising,

He is boring and bland.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 23, 2017 22:22

Great back in the day, I think he lost quite a bit when drummer Stan Lynch left.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 23, 2017 23:05

Seeing the tour in Boston and Hyde Park - my first TP gigs since Brighton in '82.Reports from Tom Petty Nation (their version of iorr.org) are promising but thus far not enough of the early stuff for me.

The Heartbreakers are all massive Stones fans but rarely cover them. Instead they do ace versions of Carol, Around + Around, Route 66 etc. However the title track to the LP Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) has got to be one of the most explicit Stones homages ever made

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 24, 2017 00:38

johnnythunders
Reports from Tom Petty Nation (their version of iorr.org) are promising but thus far not enough of the early stuff for me.

Can't imagine they are loving it. Or are maybe just outright lying. I don't think its bad, but if you belong to a Tom Petty forum you HAVE to be bored of this setlist by now. It works perfectly for me, the longtime fan thats never seen them so I'll take the hits, but longtime fans on a Tom Petty forum must want more than just Rockin' Around (With You). Yes, fans on forums are always usually a bit easy going, but there's easy going then there's sensible. There's barely anything a longtime Petty fan hasn't seen on most tours. If the Stones did a tour like this it'd be derided here. I give them credit, they don't play nearly as much different stuff as I'd like, but it is a bit different each night and they'll usually bust out a rarity or not heard classic every tour. Their 50th, by comparison to these first two shows of Petty's 40th, was far superior.

And again, in no way am I upset and I'm greatly looking forward to my show this summer. But I can't imagine a Petty forum is happy. Its 95% the same stuff they get every tour. Even bringing back hits they haven't played in years would be welcome, and there's a TON of them. But hey, its still early.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 24, 2017 00:50

Wow, now we're at a stage where a lot of big name bands have been doing it for 40 years or more. I recall it was kind of a big deal on the Stones Licks Tour that they were marking 40 years. Now they're over 50 years and still going!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: April 24, 2017 01:32

When I last saw TP in 2014, I hadn't seen him in about ten years...so for me everything was pretty fresh, including eight songs I'd never heard live before. In checking out the opening night setlist, there are eight songs different from 2014, including a few I haven't heard for years...so I wouldn't be disappointed if I wanted to see him this time around.

Date: April 24, 2017 04:30

Jah Paul
When I last saw TP in 2014, I hadn't seen him in about ten years...so for me everything was pretty fresh, including eight songs I'd never heard live before. In checking out the opening night setlist, there are eight songs different from 2014, including a few I haven't heard for years...so I wouldn't be disappointed if I wanted to see him this time around.

Out of curiosity wondering why you would choose not to see him again. Maybe too soon? Or maybe you're still on the fence about seeing him again? Or maybe seeing him once every 10 years is enough?
If it were a band or artist I admired and/or loved (Stones and Dylan for example), I would jump at the chance of seeing them after a two year period. That said, there are other bands/artists whose music I like that seeing them just once probably would have been enough (Paul McCartney and The Eagles for example).

Date: April 24, 2017 05:04

Hairball
Jah Paul

Out of curiosity wondering why you would choose not to see him again. Maybe too soon? Or maybe you're still on the fence about seeing him again? Or maybe seeing him once every 10 years is enough?
If it were a band or artist I admired and/or loved (Stones and Dylan for example), I would jump at the chance of seeing them after a two year period. That said, there are other bands/artists whose music I like that seeing them just once probably would have been enough (Paul McCartney and The Eagles for example).

After nearly 35 years of attending concerts, I've seen pretty much all of my favorites several times over...so I'm to the point where it comes down to venue/seats/convenience. For example, after seeing Paul McCartney many times in indoor venues with good seats (last time at Staples Center), I didn't feel compelled to see him again at Dodger Stadium from far away. Same with Fleetwood Mac...saw them at The Forum in 2014, but not interested in Dodger Stadium this year, although I would consider The Forum or Honda Center.

As for TP, saw him many times from the '80s until 2002, then missed him for a few tours due to venues and other reasons...really enjoyed The Forum show in 2014, but it looks like he's only playing the new Arroyo Seco festival locally for me, so I'll be passing on it unless he adds an arena date.

Long answer, I know. I suppose it's just me getting older - I don't run out and see everyone like I used to, and I am keenly aware the time is coming soon where my favorites won't be touring anymore...but at least I have the memories.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 24, 2017 05:28

wonderboy
Great back in the day, I think he lost quite a bit when drummer Stan Lynch left.
Stan Lynch is an incredible drummer. Amazing power and extremely well-produced, crisp snare sound. Plus he plays with a traditional grip, which any Charlie fan should love.

I remember Petty's Behind the Music from many years, and he seems like an egotistical ass, so not much chance of him rejoining. Steve Ferrone is great but Stan was a huge part of their sound.

Date: April 24, 2017 05:37

Really loved "Stanley" (as TP calls him). Here's their R+R HOF performance from 2002 - probably last time we'll see him play with the band.

video: [youtu.be]

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home