Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Anyone else love Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:41

tonterapi
I love it! Experimental, raw, whimsy, fun, innovative and bold.

nice description. we haven't had enough whimsy on latter-day stones albums. where did all the whimsy go????

Posted by: michel ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:48

Yes I do!!! like the whole album. On with the show is a favorite one nice song great mellotron part.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:41

Elmo Lewis
Blue
treaclefingers
I would call this a great album, although puzzling probably at the time, and upon first listen.

If they had included Dandelion/We Love You on it and taken off "See What Happens", you'd have had an absolute classic.

Agreed! always thought Child of the Moon would of fit in nicely as well, but was told it wasn't written until Beggars Banquet sessions, but it sure sounds like a TSMR tune.

With these changes, this coulda been an excellent album.

So very true!! eye popping smiley

Date: November 2, 2011 20:43

His Majesty
It is now my favourite Rolling Stones album.

thumbs up
thumbs up. It really grows on you year after year!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2011 20:46

I'm not sure if this is OT or not, but I would like to know the reason why we don't we sing this song all together, and see what happens?

Probably because a lot of us would be out of tune. sad smiley

Date: November 2, 2011 21:08

leteyer
How it can not be a Classic? Is this a Stones forum?

She's a Rainbow
2000 LYFH
2000 Man

And then you have the musicians that participated, starting with Lennon+Macca
John Paul Jones, Steve Marriot, Ronnie Lane, Nicky...

thumbs up Nicky was quite OUTSTANDING on this album! thumbs up

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 2, 2011 21:42

i like it..most of it anyway.

tho`See What Happens and On With The Show are crap.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: November 2, 2011 23:54

I would go even further than His Majesty: it is not just my favourite Stones album, it is my favourite album of all time. It is a portal to lysergic nirvana, yes even including See What Happens, in fact especially See What Happens.
Child Of The Moon didn't come later actually Blue, it was worked on during the SM sessions (see volume 1 disc 2 of the Satanic Sessions)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:03

I love the album, although it would have been a classic if they added We Love You and Dandelion and put See What Happens on a B-side

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:08

Tseverin

Child Of The Moon didn't come later actually Blue, it was worked on during the SM sessions (see volume 1 disc 2 of the Satanic Sessions)

Those 2 Child of the Moon work in progress tracks actually date from Beggars Banquet sessions.

Child of the Moon is very much a part of the Beggars Banquet sessions, no proof of it being wriiten in time for, or even attempted during Their Satanic Majesties Request sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-03 00:09 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:11

There are parts of it I find great. There are songs that I love or I think are great or very good. That's it. As an album it stinks. It has more good songs on it than Dirty Work has. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 3, 2011 00:15

I would call it classic. Everytime I listen to it I like it more. And not the main songs like "200 Lightyears" or "Citadel", "200 man". The ones I am starting to really like are "The Lantern" and "Sing this all together".

Date: November 3, 2011 00:15

His Majesty
Tseverin

Those 2 Child of the Moon work in progress tracks actually date from Beggars Banquet sessions.

Child of the Moon is very much a part of the Beggars Banquet sessions, no proof of it being wriiten in time for, or even attempted during Their Satanic Majesties Request sessions.

Thanks, I had heard that too His Majesty, it's funny because Child of the Moon sounds so "un-beggars banquet- like" and more "Satanic Request-like", even though it wasn't written yet, it would of fit TSMR album perfectly!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:17

Blue
His Majesty
Tseverin

Thanks, I had heard that too His Majesty, it's funny because Child of the Moon sounds so "un-beggars banquet- like" and more "Satanic Request-like", even though it wasn't written yet, it would of fit TSMR album perfectly!

That's the way I feel it too...Child OTM has nothing that sounds like Beggars

Posted by: steini ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:24

Yes i love it i´ts a great album and very underestimated, but the main things is that i enjoy it and has the best song i can use the word FUN for. It makes the living deads come.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:28

real real good...even gooder after a bonger

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 3, 2011 00:35

NICOS

That's the way I feel it too...Child OTM has nothing that sounds like Beggars

It's a bridge, as is Jigsaw Puzzle etc.

I kinda wish they'd done more stuff along the lines of COTM, Pay Your Dues and Jigsaw Puzzle. Tighter ship all round compared to 1967, but still with traces of LSD in the sonics.

The lead guitars on Beggars Banquet sound very much like the lead on Sgt Pepper. Yet more linkage to psych on Beggars Banquet which unfortunatley was totally gone by 1969.

The Satanic Sessions box sets show that there is much that is similar between the sessions in 1967 and 1968. Tis a pity they chose to go the more normal and boring blues/rock route from circa 1969 onwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-03 00:42 by His Majesty.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: November 3, 2011 03:01

His Majesty
Tis a pity they chose to go the more normal and boring blues/rock route from circa 1969 onwards.

They no longer had Brian Jones to get ideas.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 3, 2011 04:38

neptune
His Majesty
Tis a pity they chose to go the more normal and boring blues/rock route from circa 1969 onwards.

They no longer had Brian Jones to get ideas.

yeah too bad he turned himself into a waste case.

as for the album, thumbs up!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 3, 2011 05:07

The "psychedelic" format, with the repetitions and noises between tracks, doesn't work for me, but I live with it because I love nearly all the songs. For whatever reason - the album's relatively poor reception, the accusation of copying the Beatles, the departure of Brian - the band quickly threw out pop and psychedelia as influences after TSMR and concentrated on blues/rock, country and reggae. Not that those aren't great, but there were major losses as well as gains in their musical change of direction.

One of my nominations for that "great through headphones" thread would be The Lantern (been listening to that a lot this week).

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 3, 2011 05:14

RobertJohnson
I do not like it at all, the weakest effort of the band in my opinion, the only album that I will never hear again. A compromise with the psychedelic fashion of '67, no genuine Stones music, half-baked and boring. TSMR was an awkward chatting-up to the zeitgeist. They denied their roots due to financial interests. The same holds for Between the Buttons with few exceptions.

I have a sad confession: I think I've only listened to it once. That was the period when I was about 13, in the early throeas of Stones passion and collecting all their albums.
Other than that, it lacks alot of things.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 3, 2011 09:25

it wasn't love at first listen, but it grooves me a lot now
it's beautiful to hear the guitar laying the groundwork for so much of what lies just ahead -
and if you ever have a chance to spend a week 250 meters underground, be sure to take Their Satanic Majesties with you:
ohhhh my how they shine!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 3, 2011 09:36

Not as bad as I want it to be. But I still don't like Sing This All Together and On With the Show. The rest is rather good! And a great foray into psychedelia with a darker edge. Love The Lantern. It would have been a much stronger album with We Love You and Dandelion on it...

Also, the production on 2000 Man is stunning! The acoustic sounds incredible and if you didn't know this song was recored in the 60's you would think it is more contemporary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-03 09:43 by whitem8.

Date: November 3, 2011 10:15

She's A Rainbow
Citadel
The Lantern
2000 Light Years From Home
2000 Man

This would have made one of the best EPs ever - by any band. Unfortunately, the rest (maybe with In Another Land as an exception) just isn't of the same quality, imo.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: November 3, 2011 11:08

Much better than its reputation. I for one always loved that album.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: November 3, 2011 11:28

Half is GENIUS/Half is SO-SO. One of the best album covers ever !!! I like the original title - "Cosmic Christmas" - better than what they went with in the end.....

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 3, 2011 11:30

His Majesty
I kinda wish they'd done more stuff along the lines of COTM, Pay Your Dues and Jigsaw Puzzle. Tighter ship all round compared to 1967, but still with traces of LSD in the sonics.

The lead guitars on Beggars Banquet sound very much like the lead on Sgt Pepper. Yet more linkage to psych on Beggars Banquet which unfortunatley was totally gone by 1969.

The Satanic Sessions box sets show that there is much that is similar between the sessions in 1967 and 1968. Tis a pity they chose to go the more normal and boring blues/rock route from circa 1969 onwards.
I totally agree. It's sad that they left their experimental spririt in the 60's when it fit so well with their new approach in 68. But they didn't have Brian's ideas and lust for odd sounds anymore after Beggar's and Keith had found a formula he obviously loved very much. It was the right thing for the Stones I guess but they loose me as a listener.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 3, 2011 11:41

Fanatistic album. But, it could have been so much better if they skipped 'Sing This Song Together' and added 'We Love You' and 'Dandelion'.

Mathijs

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: November 4, 2011 18:50

Love this LP. Always have. Agree We Love You/Dandelion woud have been great additions. Always thought of Sing This Song Altogether(See What happens) as a psychedelic Going Home.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: OutofTime66 ()
Date: November 4, 2011 19:28

There are some very good songs imo, but overall I think the album is not a classic. With a good producer to help guide them through this, and the addition of We Love you, and Dandelion to this album this could have become a classic. Those songs where recorded during this time frame. Child of the moon would have fit nicely on to this album had it been recorded in time.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home