Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'Let It Loose' Exile On Main Street
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 22, 2017 05:23

WHAT?!

A portion of the lyrics were lifted from the song Man of Constant Sorrow. In an interview with Uncut Magazine in April 2010, Jagger was asked about this song’s lyrical content; he replied: “I think Keith wrote that, actually. That’s a very weird, difficult song. I had a whole other set of lyrics to it, but they got lost by the wayside. I don't think that song has any semblance of meaning. It’s one of those rambling songs. I didn’t really understand what it was about, after the event.” However, in the same article Richards says “I would never take Mick’s recollection of anything seriously.”[2]

(Wikipedia)

P.S. Sorry if addressed in track talk, but this is new (and not good) news to me.

Re: 'Let It Loose' Exile On Main Street
Date: August 22, 2017 05:27

Has Mick never been friends with a 'real' RS fan?

Because any real RS fan, who was a friend of Mick's, would have said:
Don't ever say that.
What about his PR person?
Do they love the RS music?

C'mon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2017 05:31

Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger
My face, you'll never see no more

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 22, 2017 05:34

Man of Constant Sorrow:
Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger
My face, you'll never see no more

Let it Loose:
Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger,
Some face you'll never see no more.

Two lines in common, but the song itself has been around for a hundred years or more and the theme is universal.
Not sure why Mick says the song is rambling and doesn't have meaning.

Date: August 22, 2017 06:02

Right, has no-one told him many die-hard fans, and I read a critic, state
they think this is his best vocal ever?

He sincerely deeply soulful, drawing from within. Pouring his guts out maybe.
"Bit off more than I can chew"
that was the line for me.

Now to read how cavalier
"No semblance of meaning, rambling"

Maybe he can get that off Wikipedia.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2017 06:03

I always thought Mick wrote those lyrics...he sure sings it like he means it!
You learn something every day, such a classic song. thumbs up

Date: August 22, 2017 06:03

sad smiley

Date: August 22, 2017 06:12

I have that issue w/Keith on cover at my studio (It's the Exile deluxe issue), and don't recall reading that dismissal from Mick, though it's been awhile since I've looked at it.
Could be true, but wiki is not always reliable, and when I click on the source after the quote it leads to nowhere - Let it Loose.
And it could just be an outdated link that Uncut no longer keeps up on their site. Uncut
Will fact check tomorrow!

*It's the issue where Keith has no clue that Mick Taylor was brought in by Mick Jagger to play on the "new" Plundered...to paraphrase Keith: "If he had played on it, I would have known"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-22 06:16 by Hairball.

Date: August 22, 2017 06:33

Hairball
I have that issue w/Keith on cover at my studio (It's the Exile deluxe issue), and don't recall reading that dismissal from Mick, though it's been awhile since I've looked at it.
Could be true, but wiki is not always reliable, and when I click on the source after the quote it leads to nowhere - Let it Loose.
And it could just be an outdated link that Uncut no longer keeps up on their site. Uncut
Will fact check tomorrow!

*It's the issue where Keith has no clue that Mick Taylor was brought in by Mick Jagger to play on the "new" Plundered...to paraphrase Keith: "If he had played on it, I would have known"

I know Hairball, I've seen that clip of Keith (radio interview)
and I am aware of the opposite statements made at the time:
Touching Exile is to re-touch a master painting
I am obviously paraphrasing and
I do not like to bring drama,
(let's blame it on the eclipse)
is this why Keith got pretty good and mad at Mick/ 'Life' book
same timeframe/ re-release Exile
but maybe Keith came around when he realized fans would be hungry for it,
it's what the other old big acts were doing...

Date: August 22, 2017 06:36

And you know what else?

Mick said he'd been buried/ worked to the bone/ face to the pavement long time
working on the Exile re-release.

Yeah? How come you don't remember this song?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 22, 2017 06:47

Is it possible that Mick had lyrics to this song, but Keith sang it with these lyrics and then Jagger just replaced the vocal when they were finishing the album in Los Angeles?
Could explain his ambivalence about the song.

Date: August 22, 2017 06:54

35love
I've seen that clip of Keith (radio interview)
and I am aware of the opposite statements made at the time

As far as I know (?), that quote is only a printed interview from that particular issue of Uncut (April 2010), but if there is also radio interview/clip, it would be cool to hear!
And it's not like he was against the idea of bringing in Mick Taylor, it's just that was totally unaware...he adamantly says "No new Mick Taylor on any new tracks" (paraphrase).
It's as if it were all done behind his back without him having any knowledge of it.

Date: August 22, 2017 07:09

Hairball
35love

As far as I know (?), that quote is only a printed interview from that particular issue of Uncut (April 2010), but if there is also radio interview/clip, it would be cool to hear!
And it's not like he was against the idea of bringing in Mick Taylor, it's just that was totally unaware...he adamantly says "No new Mick Taylor on any new tracks" (paraphrase).
It's as if it were all done behind his back without him having any knowledge of it.

Heh heh heh, I have instant karma.
Displeased with Mick's memory,
and now you're asking me to ransack my feeble own.
Now it's not worth a hunt, and I don't want Keith insulted in any way.
It was a radio interview, but someone was filming Keith in the radio studio,
it was dark, and thru a window probably.
The radio guy was asking Keith about the upcoming/ just released Exile re-issue.
Mick Taylor's name was not mentioned (that I remember!) but the gist:
It appeared Keith was caught off guard about 'any' re-doing/ re-touch
new fingerprints. The radio man asked again, a bit perplexed, Keith seemed to catch it, then agreed?
Yes, there was a discrepancy - AND, about what if any Keith touched.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 22, 2017 07:59

My friend Dan writes (he can't post from work)

You should refer the folks here to The Book you gave me "ROCKS OFF" by Bill Janovitz.

Chapter 31 addresses this songs and eloquently offers some opinion. Seems like a perfect Richards - Jagger lyric co-write. Author suggests almost self conscious back and forth...Keith writes "Who's that women on your arm...All dressed up to do you harm..." As a warning to Mick, etc.

Date: August 22, 2017 08:19

wonderboy
Is it possible that Mick had lyrics to this song, but Keith sang it with these lyrics and then Jagger just replaced the vocal when they were finishing the album in Los Angeles?
Could explain his ambivalence about the song.

They rehearsed in it before tour start, so no ambivalence..

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 22, 2017 08:22

I assume that's one of Mick's typical replies if you just doesn't want to talk about it. I always felt the lyrics were about Bianca. He had been deeply in love with her the time the song has been recorded. Possibly that didn't fit with the Mick Jagger image some years later ... that's why he replied in such pejorative way on the song.

I've always loved it, especially Mick's singing is superb. One of his best vocal performances ever.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 09:46

Hairball
35love

It was.

Date: August 22, 2017 09:56

The rehearsal version:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 22, 2017 10:22

TeddyB1018
Hairball
35love

It was.

Don Was said he "could neither confirm nor deny" any new Mick Taylor on the forthcoming Exile reissue..sounds like he was under orders..he discussed the rest of it just fine.

Date: August 22, 2017 10:23

TeddyB1018
Hairball
35love

It was.

Yes I realize that and should have worded that last sentence differently.
Him being totally unaware and adamant that Mick Taylor was not involved makes it clear that it was done behind his back without him having any knowledge of it.

Date: August 22, 2017 10:39

exilestones
My friend Dan writes (he can't post from work)

You should refer the folks here to The Book you gave me "ROCKS OFF" by Bill Janovitz.

Chapter 31 addresses this songs and eloquently offers some opinion. Seems like a perfect Richards - Jagger lyric co-write. Author suggests almost self conscious back and forth...Keith writes "Who's that women on your arm...All dressed up to do you harm..." As a warning to Mick, etc.

*I own this book, I bought it for Chapter 50, 'Plundered My Soul'
when I was vexed over it!
I shall re-read Chapter 31, which btw starts
The Gospel of the Rolling Stones “Who’s that woman on your arm?/All dressed up to do you harm” begins “Let It Loose,” perhaps the most gut-wrenchingly honest and emotional song that the Stones have recorded.

Date: August 22, 2017 10:56

Bill Janovitz's descriptions and writings on Exile songs speak my own heart.

I re-read the 'Let It Loose chapter.
I'll go out on a limb and guess,
Mr. Janovitz is as baffled as I
about Mick's 2010 statements.

Date: August 22, 2017 11:02

35love
Bill Janovitz's descriptions and writings on Exile songs speak my own heart.

I re-read the 'Let It Loose chapter.
I'll go out on a limb and guess,
Mr. Janovitz is as baffled as I
about Mick's 2010 statements.

Mick has always downplayed Exile. It's commonly regarded as a «Keith-album» among critics (not justly, imo).

That's perhaps why Mick always critices the mix and the album in general..

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 22, 2017 11:21

They tried to work this one up several times in preparation for the filmed Texas shows in 1972. Would have been interesting to hear/see it live in that era.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 11:48

Let It Loose would be better if Mick and Dr. John had started trading ‘Let It Looses’ towards the song’s furious, cathartic ending – as it is you can’t hear Dr. John’s voice in the mix at all, which I’ve always founds somewhat disappointing.

DandelionPowderman

Mick has always downplayed Exile. It's commonly regarded as a «Keith-album» among critics (not justly, imo).

Why do you have to make Mick seem so petty? He probably just needs to listen to Exile a few more times – as you may be aware, Exile isn’t as accessible as some of the Stones other famous records.

Date: August 22, 2017 12:07

Swayed1967
Let It Loose would be better if Mick and Dr. John had started trading ‘Let It Looses’ towards the song’s furious, cathartic ending – as it is you can’t hear Dr. John’s voice in the mix at all, which I’ve always founds somewhat disappointing.

DandelionPowderman

Why do you have to make Mick seem so petty? He probably just needs to listen to Exile a few more times – as you may be aware, Exile isn’t as accessible as some of the Stones other famous records.

Did I?

I thought I said it was unjustly regarded as a «Keith-album»?

The downplaying of Exile's quality comes from Mick. That's not my fault confused smiley

Date: August 22, 2017 12:14

TravelinMan
They tried to work this one up several times in preparation for the filmed Texas shows in 1972. Would have been interesting to hear/see it live in that era.

Strangely enough in a different key, which didn't suit Mick's range at all, imo...

Sad, because what we heard from the rehearsal really had potential.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 22, 2017 14:48

My favourite Stones song, featuring Jagger's greatest ever vocal IMHO.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 15:34

I agree this is Jagger's best vocal performance. This is such a powerful and beautiful song. Full of bayou swamp atmosphere. Stunning. I don't think they could have pulled this off live though. It is very complex and layered, and not sure how it would have gone over.

Date: August 22, 2017 15:38

whitem8
I agree this is Jagger's best vocal performance. This is such a powerful and beautiful song. Full of bayou swamp atmosphere. Stunning. I don't think they could have pulled this off live though. It is very complex and layered, and not sure how it would have gone over.

Well, you can sort of hear how it would have been in the clip I posted (even though it's in the wrong key).

I think it would have been great. However, the tricky thing with this tune is to have all the changes down, and at the same time deliver the wonderful dynamics.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home