Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones, and Beach Music
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 16, 2017 16:08

If you grew up in the southeast USA in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, you are familiar with the term, "Beach Music."

Not the Beach Boys. Light, dance-able soul and R&B songs, such as:

Under the Boardwalk - The Drifters
Miss Grace - The Tymes
A Quiet Place - Garrett Mimms
Hey Baby - The Swingin' Medalions
It Will Stand - The Showmen

Also, tunes by bands like the Tams, the Embers, etc. Usually with horns, great for a summer day out by the waves, memories of Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Tybee Island, and more.

On the Stones first album, they covered some Beach Music:

Walking the Dog (Rufus Thomas)
Can I Get a Witness(Holland-Dozier-Holland)

And, of course, Beach Music, Motown, and the Memphis Stax genres are all "cousins" - the Stones, of course, covering:

My Girl
Just My Imagination
(and more...)

Well, my studio band here in Atlanta has just released a Beach Music song, which is sort of "The Tams Meet the Allman Brothers," if you can imagine such a thing!

Like everything else these days, we won't make any money on the tune (unless you count about five dollars worth of streaming. Hey, we can go to BURGER KING!).

But, I'd be honored if fellow Stones fans went to YouTube and gave it a quick spin. Maybe it'll make you want to load up the van with Beach Towels, suntan lotion, and a cooler, and head on out to shore! THANKS!

[www.youtube.com]

Re: The Stones, and Beach Music
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 16, 2017 16:15

thumbs upthumbs up

Nice. Also felt the need to sample "Shortnin' Funk" while I was there.

Good stuff.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 16, 2017 16:25

mr_dja
thumbs upthumbs up

Nice. Also felt the need to sample "Shortnin' Funk" while I was there.

Good stuff.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Hey, THANKS for listening!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 16, 2017 16:34

ROCK ON, Mongoose!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 16, 2017 18:43

aw thats good stuff, Mongoose.

Beach Music.. an interesting style/genre...

several decades of it have held up..as they say "it will stand" ...kind of the unofficial beach music motto..

but the dance is the shag.

OK in the UK , thats got a slightly different meaning..smiling smiley

check out this video of the late Chicken Hicks..

he is credited with inventing/popularizing a lot of the dance moves that became known as the shag..

[www.youtube.com]

much more to the story, though..

Date: August 16, 2017 18:48

From 1962, one of the songs that started it all:

"It Will Stand" by the Showmen.

Same singer (General Johnson) that sang on the hit, "Give Me Just a Little More Time," by the Chairmen of the Board.

[www.youtube.com]

And, much later, the Embers, "I Love Beach Music"

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 16, 2017 18:54

would you include " Double Shot OF My Baby's Love" ?

[www.youtube.com]

what a song! they were some kind of frat rock/ beach music hybrid I reckon..grinning smiley

Date: August 16, 2017 19:04

duke richardson
would you include " Double Shot OF My Baby's Love" ?

[www.youtube.com]

what a song! they were some kind of frat rock/ beach music hybrid I reckon..grinning smiley[/quote

GREAT addition to the conversation, Duke!!

Let's throw in some GREAT Beach Music soul, mentioned in my first Post:

"Miss Grace" by the Tymes

[www.youtube.com]

"A Quiet Place" by Garnet Mimms

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 16, 2017 19:33

love this thread...

i just learned thet 'Cry Baby' the Janis Joplin hit, was originally by Garnet Mimms.. didnt know that.
Garnet Mimms:

[www.youtube.com]

Janis Joplin:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 16, 2017 21:01

duke richardson
love this thread...

i just learned thet 'Cry Baby' the Janis Joplin hit, was originally by Garnet Mimms.. didnt know that.
Garnet Mimms:

[www.youtube.com]

Janis Joplin:

[www.youtube.com]

THANKS for that Garnet Mimms version! WOW!! Can't get much more soulful than that!

Makes me want to pull out "Tattoo You" and listen to "Worried About You!"

Come to think of it, "Sweethearts Together," from VL, and "Slipping Away" from SW are both genuine Beach Music songs!

Date: August 16, 2017 21:09

Mongoose,

the whole Beach Music thing is kind of regional.. I grew up with all those songs you mentioned before..

my favorite was always the Tams..

its interesting how its a dance music of this part of the country, but really its just good old r&b music, Beach or not..

I never did get the dancing down right, I prefer to be playing the music, but there are whole societies and competitions dedicated to the Shag...grinning smiley

now I cant think of that singer who did that thing with his tongue and a sound, brrrrrrrrup up up...

do you know who I mean, and what that song was?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 16, 2017 21:59

duke richardson
Mongoose,

the whole Beach Music thing is kind of regional.. I grew up with all those songs you mentioned before..

its interesting how its a dance music of this part of the country, but really its just good old r&b music, Beach or not..

I never did get the dancing down right, I prefer to be playing the music, but there are whole societies and competitions dedicated to the Shag...grinning smiley

now I cant think of that singer who did that thing with his tongue and a sound, brrrrrrrrup up up...

Agree 100%, duke. The singer was the afore mentioned Chairman of The Board singing "Give Me Just A Little More Time". They also sang the great "Pay IOt To The Piper".

Can't wait hear your song, Mongoose. You drumming?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 16, 2017 22:29

Elmo Lewis
duke richardson
Mongoose,

Agree 100%, duke. The singer was the afore mentioned Chairman of The Board singing "Give Me Just A Little More Time". They also sang the great "Pay IOt To The Piper".

GREAT MEMORY ELMO!!! I could hear the sound that Duke was referencing but I just couldn't seem to connect it to the song!

Had so much fun back in 95/96 when one of my bands had the privilege of opening up for Chairmen of the Board at the Palomino club in Greensboro, NC. Although we had a good front man, I'll never forget the look on his face as he watched General Johnson work that room to a frenzy! In hindsight, I wonder if that's what Mick looked like watching JB at the TAMI show all those years ago.

Thanks for completing the memory, y'all!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 16, 2017 22:40

hey thats right..the General did that vocal sound too, in 'Give Me Just A Little More Time..

but I finally remembered who I was thinking of:

its Billy Stewart, his version of 'Summertime'

have a listen..

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 16, 2017 22:44

Elmo Lewis
duke richardson
Mongoose,

Yep! Drums, backup vocals, and I wrote the lyrics and melody of the tune.

Not bad for an old man!

smileys with beer

Great to hear from you, are you still in south Georgia?

Cheers!

Date: August 17, 2017 02:14

And, speaking of The Tams, another great Georgia Beach Music Band:

"I've Been Hurt" - 1965

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 18, 2017 22:03

Nice collection of Beach Tunes here!

[www.youtube.com]

Since the Stones did a Blues album, maybe they need to do a Beach/Soul album next!

cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home