Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones musical in the works?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 10, 2017 14:05

IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLE

The Rolling Stones set to have their very own West End musical based on chart-topping hits as producers hold top-secret workshops

Top-secret workshops are currently being held in London’s West End and if the band like what they see, the show could become the next jukebox musical to launch in ­London and on Broadway

From Dan Wooton's Bizarre Column 10th July 2017

WHENEVER the ROLLING STONES go on tour, their gigs instantly become the hottest tickets in town.

But the iconic rockers could soon be giving fans another way to sample their music live — in their very own musical.

Getty Images

I can reveal top-secret workshops are being held in London’s West End in a bid to find talented theatre stars to appear in a new production.

And if the Stones like what they see, the show may become the next jukebox musical to launch in ­London and on Broadway.

A theatre source said: “The workshops are being kept very much under wraps and only incredible ­talent is being invited to attend.

“The idea came from top ­theatre execs who know the concept of a Stones musical has the potential to be a worldwide hit.

“But they know the show has to be outstanding for the band members to back it.

“Only then will it ever see the light of day — and at the same time make the rockers as absolute fortune.”

MICK ­JAGGER, KEITH RICHARDS, CHARLIE WATTS, RONNIE WOOD and the band’s former members own the royalties to most of their back ­catalogue which spans from 1962 — the year they were formed — to the present day.

At this stage it is unclear whether the production will tell the band’s story or use their songs to inspire a separate narrative.

There has been some huge jukebox musical success stories in recent years, namely ABBA’s Mamma Mia!, Jersey Boys, Beautiful: The CAROLE KING Musical, GREEN DAY’s American Idiot and We Will Rock You, based on the hits of QUEEN.

But at the same time many have failed to achieve critical acclaim, including JENNIFER SAUNDERS’ ­tribute to THE SPICE GIRLS, Viva ­Forever!, the BEACH BOYS’ Broadway musical Good Vibrations and LENNON, which also flopped in the US.

GARY BARLOW is the ­latest big name to turn his hand to a ­musical, The Band, which celebrates the music of TAKE THAT.

The singer used a prime time BBC1 TV show to find talent for his ­production.

The searching for a star to play Mick Jagger might well need to go ­worldwide.

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Re: Rolling Stones musical in the works?
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 10, 2017 16:18

Please...no.
That'll be horrible.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 10, 2017 16:29

Doesn't sound like a very good concept to me.
Now, a Cirque du Soleil show?... yes please.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 10, 2017 16:42

I would suggest that the public's appetite for a "jukebox musical" version of The Rolling Stones is currently being adequately served by the band itself on tour. They left authenticity behind a long time ago for a kind of studied theatrical extravaganza.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 10, 2017 18:21

Can't see it happening.
The article seems to overlook the fact that its ABKCO who own the rights to The Stones'golden nuggets', ie the ones the Producers would want to use.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 10, 2017 18:51

There's some musical productions like All or Nothing, Sunny Afternoon and Motown - The Musical which have been receiving very favourable reviews. I went to see the Motown musical in LA in 2015 and it was very enjoyable, so I'd be interested to see a Stones-based production, if this really happens.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 10, 2017 18:56

LongBeachArena72
I would suggest that the public's appetite for a "jukebox musical" version of The Rolling Stones is currently being adequately served by the band itself on tour. They left authenticity behind a long time ago for a kind of studied theatrical extravaganza.

Agreed. And it's quite possible (actually very possible) that the musicianship of those who take part in this musical would be superior to what the Stones are currently doing.
This might actually be pretty good if done correctly, and it would be a way to keep the Stones rolling on for decades after they call it quits.

There's the Queen musical We Will Rock You, and even though I have never seen it, I know it was mighty successful. After a 12 year run in London (2002-2014) it continues to tour the world:

We Will Rock You

And there was the successful Kinks musical Sunny Afternoon...I recall several members here saw it and gave it positive reviews!!!

I saw a Buddy Holly musical in London back in the '80's, and I thought it was very well done. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 18:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 10, 2017 19:16

Kinda seems like an unavoidable de-evolution...
When the Stones' career is finally over ...
And if people (fans, tourists, whatever ) want it...
If the Stones and/or their estates are still looking to earn lots more money ...
After the royalty, copyright, production details are worked out ...
I can easily see this coming to Broadway up the street from Jersey Boys or that Carole King show.
A tribute band in a nightly flashy production.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 19:19 by schillid.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 10, 2017 19:28

I hate musicals, so no go for me

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 10, 2017 19:31

Bullocks

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 10, 2017 20:14

I was always proud that they don´t have a musical and a Christmas song (yes,
not counting Cosmic Christmas).

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 10, 2017 20:27

Of course, I can't actually go to such a production ...

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: July 10, 2017 20:36

Some folks get their kicks from heroin...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 10, 2017 21:37

What's next ?
The Rolling Stones theme park ?

Join in...for the true adventures of The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 10, 2017 21:40

a musical is nothing but the last nail on a coffin!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 10, 2017 23:50

Not my thing, but if it gets more people into the music I guess that's good. Someone was likely gonna license something like this after they're gone anyway,at least this way they have quality control.

Date: July 11, 2017 01:27

It does raise the question: once the band members are retired and then once they are pushin' up daisies ... how does the music live on?

A thousand years of classical music has shown us that at least for some music performers aren't important ... what's written down in the score is what either lasts or doesn't.

Jazz began to change this paradigm with its reliance on improvisation; you could play notes like Coltrane or Miles ... but could you really recreate their music?

While most pop music is performer-driven, the cover band construct would seem to suggest it's possible for songs to live on whether they are played by the original artists or not. But there's a limit to that: "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" can raise the roof almost anywhere ... but do you want to hear a cover band play "A Day in the Life"?

There are always the recordings themselves, of course, in terms of how the music will live on ... but for the purposes of this thread, it's maybe more interesting to consider how or whether "Sympathy for the Devil" lives on in a live setting, as a song that can be passed down and reinterpreted through the ages.

The Grateful Dead's morphing into Dead & Co offers another possibility, beyond the idea of a musical play. Bob Weir has said that he can envision Dead & Co playing that music long after he, Billy, and Micky are gone, and can also imagine John Mayer, Otell Burbridge, and Jeff Chimenti growing old with those songs and then passing them along to yet another generation. That's kind of a cool idea, although it would seem to have little if any relevance to a band like The Stones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2017 01:29

I wonder if the story will touch upon any of Micks solo career. grinning smiley

Date: July 11, 2017 01:35

Hairball
I wonder if the story will touch upon any of Micks solo career. grinning smiley

Funny.

But I suspect any stage musical based on the band will cover the same period that they currently cover with their warhorses: "Satisfaction" through "Start Me Up," with an Edith Grove-based intro.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2017 01:37

.....hope they include the ..... "We piss anywhere man" .... scene

ROCKMAN

Date: July 11, 2017 01:40

Rockman

mebbe they could work it in right before the piss break, er, intermission.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 11, 2017 11:27

LongBeachArena72

You may believe they are a bike box extravaganza but it it's Mick Jagger, Keith Richard, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood live on stage playing. How can that be bad?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 11, 2017 14:40

Rockman

mebbe that would be the title

Date: July 11, 2017 16:09

pgarof
LongBeachArena72

You may believe they are a bike box extravaganza but it it's Mick Jagger, Keith Richard, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood live on stage playing. How can that be bad?

'Bad,' in what sense? From a nostalgic point of view, probably not bad at all, and still lots of fun for millions of people all over the world. In a musical sense? Well, have you listened to them lately?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 11, 2017 16:32

No, please no.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 11, 2017 16:34

schillid
If the Stones and/or their estates are still looking to earn lots more money ...
I can easily see this coming to Broadway up the street from Jersey Boys or that Carole King show.

'The Stones Estate'= This could be mind boggling.
Widows
Children x 17 (currently)
Grandchildren
Estates of Bill, Brian, Mick T
Each having their own legal advisors.

It's difficult enough to get Mick and Keith to agree!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 11, 2017 18:03

schillid

My opinion, it's too soon. Perhaps the Exibitionism tour was/is too soon as well.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 11, 2017 19:43

In Rupert L's book A Prince Among Stones he describes a project with Tim Rice loosely called "sympathy for the devil" which was put together and rejected as being too soon. Also they don't own their best songs do they ?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 11, 2017 20:17

EJM
In Rupert L's book A Prince Among Stones he describes a project with Tim Rice loosely called "sympathy for the devil" which was put together and rejected as being too soon. Also they don't own their best songs do they ?

Well if they don't (and seems NO w/all the Trump YCAGWYW hoopla)
why would the RS be involved in a final say: Yes/No quality as the article states?
Here is my No Filter:
They are still alive, still on tour,
STOP with the Harry Styles playing Mick, a Broadway Show of fake Stones,
blah blah blah.
I mean, I guess I don't care, but if the RS entity is involved, can't we just let it play out first?

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 11, 2017 20:24

Well Queen are still touring (or they certainly were when musical launched )

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home