Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Ian Hunter & The Rant Band
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: September 29, 2014 00:41

Ian Hunter & The Rant Band, Royal Northern College Of Music, Saturday 27th September 2014

Hello,

Yet again these guys astound! Humanity, wamth and musicianship on display but still raucous and raw by turn. There was a surprising amount of enjoyment onstage given how many shows that they play together but you couldn't help but smile too.

I've no idea how or who chooses the setlist but it suited the audience well: a mix of sing-a-long and the more personal or political. Ian sounded as great as ever and had his usual sense of humour present. The man's got soul...a real warmth.
They are still at large in the UK and I know that they'll be leveling the Shepherd's Bush Empire next Saturday: if I wasn't going to see JJR's last show then I'd be there too!

Cheers,

Simon.

ps turns out some kind soul did a little filming...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 12:41 by bv.

Re: O/T Ian Hunter & The Rant Band, Royal Northern College Of Music, Saturday 27th September 2014
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 29, 2014 02:19

I love Ian Hunter--I'm very jealous of you, and of my friend who was there! smiling smiley

Re: O/T Ian Hunter & The Rant Band, Royal Northern College Of Music, Saturday 27th September 2014
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 29, 2014 05:37

Great set list. Ian rules.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 29, 2014 18:43

mr. mott the hoople

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 29, 2014 19:00

Wish I was going on Saturday. And all you could want for - just about - in set list. Nice report Si.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 29, 2014 21:17

Travelling to London for the show on Saturday at Sheherd's Bush Empire.

Any one else going?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-30 19:27 by Roadster32.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:16

I went to Saturday's gig of Ian Hunter yesterday.
That was his first-ever concert in Japan.
He played in the small club for 400 people.
"It's No Game Part 1" was the last back-ground music before the lights went down.

He kept the room temperature rising from "Teacher", "Once Bitten Twice Shy",
to "All the Way from Memphis" and "Sweet Jane."

"Irene Wilde", "Michael Picasso", "Saturday Gigs"
and the grand finale "All The Young Dudes" made many in the audience almost cry.

Morgan Fisher joined from "Roll Away The Stone."
He sang Lynsey de Paul's part in Japanese.smiling smiley
Morgan has been living in Japan over 20 years. He can speak Japanese well.
That was funny moment.

Hunter rarely spoke to the audience during the show.
Only thing I remember is he said about gospel piano player,
and on that note, he said about "Watching The River Flow and Leon Russell" before launching into "Just Another Night."

What a show!
Though there were no marionette, platform shoes, fancy costume, "H" themed guitar, 50000 audience and Rono,
those six men showed us That's What Rock'n'Roll Is All About.

Ian was wearing Little Richard T-shirt on Friday's gig.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 18, 2015 04:47

Sweet! Thanks for that YouTube link, looks like that kind soul did a bit more than a little filming. Love the no frills just great music these guys are doing. cool smiley

peace

Re: OT: Ian Hunter & The Rant Band
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 18, 2015 14:37

I rank this song up there with the classics

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 14:38 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 19, 2015 04:15

Chris Fountain
I rank this song up there with the classics

The dude's a classic, whether it be with Mott or solo. Amazing too that he never swayed from classic rock, and still puts out albums regularly.

The last album was really exceptional, I love the title track, When I'm President

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 19, 2015 04:53

I saw him in November in DC. Great show. We should all be so spry when we're 75!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 5, 2016 22:55

Ian Hunter, the amazing, is doing it again. Another album due out in 2 weeks. The single is not as good as When I'm President, but still, not bad:

[ianhunter.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 5, 2016 22:59

LeonidP
Ian Hunter, the amazing, is doing it again. Another album due out in 2 weeks. The single is not as good as When I'm President, but still, not bad:

[ianhunter.com]

As well as a 30-CD (eye popping smiley) box set: [www.propermusic.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 6, 2016 02:30

Cristiano Radtke
LeonidP

[ianhunter.com]

Wow is right, had no idea he even had that much material. I'm not that familiar with Ian Hunter's catalog (obviously), but I did like When I'm President enough to get the CD and loved it...still do. Hunter will be in DC this fall, hoping I can make it downtown for the event.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2016 07:12

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 6, 2016 07:22

I saw Ian Hunter earlier this summer and he was outstanding. And I'm not some Mott The Hoople superfan or anything. I think they are good and like a good deal of stuff, but by no means am I a rabid fan like Joe Elliot from Def Leppard or Mick Ronson was of Ian. But Hunter was excellent. Great mix of Hoople and solo stuff and his solo stuff was GREAT. I didn't know any of it, but they were great songs and it was just such an enjoyable night. I went home and started buying the songs he played off iTunes right away cause they were so damn catchy.

I do think I happened to catch a good show. They're all good I'm sure, but he played three nights at the place I was at and the only night he played All The Way From Memphis was the one I was at. And its not a dealbreaker or anything, but he didn't play it night 1 there and the whole night leading up to the show I was saying "yeah, but it would be so great to just hear him start that piano intro." And when it actually happened during the show the song was as good as I could have hoped. Funnily enough, he played that but NOT Once Bitter Twice Shy, the other song I was looking forward to, but I'm fine with Memphis instead.

My point being is he puts on an excellent show with a terrific band. The guy is like 76 and just absolutely destroys it. Sounds great voice wise (which I was nervous about) and he has a catalogue to really back up the whole show. I'm not rushing out to buy all his albums, but it was a fantastic show and I give him a lot more credit now than I did before. Its always cool to see an old guy still doing well and playing, but even better when they are doing as well as Ian is.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 6, 2016 09:22

Ian hunter and Jimmy page

A book has just been published called 'Have Guitar will travel volume 3'

Well I used to promote bands in Northampton in the early 80 ' and I have a piece in this book. I met up with the auther Derek Thompkins and and he told me a story about Ian Hunter.

The book is all about music from Northampton my home town. Well Ian hunter has his roots their so Derek gave him a copy of the book, I think it was vol 2 60's and 70's. While recording in America Jimmy page walked in and picked it up to read and wouldn't give it back so Ian asked for another one . So being a multi million are he managed to get 2 free books. I had to pay for mine. Lol.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 6, 2016 13:57

Once in my life have i had the honor of catching Ian Hunter perform live in 1988 as a warmup act for Heart at a shed and he along with Mick Ronson just blew the roof off the dump .What an unforgetable night of pure sonic bliss for my ears .Damn wish i had seem them more including Mott the Hoople. Great singer and the late great Mick Ronson who is also famous for recording and performing with the late great David Bowie .May they both rest in peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-06 18:06 by TheGreek.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: September 6, 2016 22:15

Ian Hunter? I'm a big fan, wish he'd come to New Zealand. I'm also jealous of y'all who have seen him

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 6, 2016 22:34

midimannz
Ian Hunter? I'm a big fan, wish he'd come to New Zealand. I'm also jealous of y'all who have seen him

Louder

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 16, 2016 13:46

On my second play of Fingers Crossed. Fabulous. Looking forward to the November gigs

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 16, 2016 15:09

latebloomer
Cristiano Radtke
LeonidP

[ianhunter.com]

Wow is right, had no idea he even had that much material. I'm not that familiar with Ian Hunter's catalog (obviously), but I did like When I'm President enough to get the CD and loved it...still do. Hunter will be in DC this fall, hoping I can make it downtown for the event.

Christiano, many, many, many thanks for the link to Proper Music.
I have just ordered the 30 CD-set. I have so much respect for Mick Ronson.
I saw the Hunter/Ronson band in Paris during the Yui Orta tour. We were front row, on Mick's side. During the end of the show, a friend of mine showed Mick a copy of "Slaughter on tenth avenue" LP, hoping the record to be signed. After all the band members have left the stage, Ronson came back, signed the record for my friend, and had a small talk with him. It was something like "Mick you are a hero for me, I play guitar, I love your playing" - and Ronson answering "You don't need me as a hero, play guitar, play music". I can't remember excatly the words, it was something like that.

Thanks again, Christiano.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:32

While the gigs in Chicago next week are at City Winery, a venue I just don't like, I think I need to go see those guys for a live rock and roll pick me up.

Date: October 6, 2016 20:46

Tickets bought for Tuesday night!

Date: October 7, 2016 07:21

Cristiano Radtke
LeonidP

[ianhunter.com]

Many thanks.thumbs up
I've pre-ordered today.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:12

Got tickets for Glasgow on 5th November - should be dynamite! (Sorry, bad Guy Fawkes joke).

First saw Ian in Glasgow in 1975. Met him and Mick Ronson. Nice guys and obviously good mates offstage as a well as on.

Seen Ian a lot in recent years. Is it my imagination or is he actually getting better? Love the way he showcases new songs and balances more obscure songs from his impressive back catalogue with the warhorses (singalongamott!).

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:34

I think that his new album is very good.
Very nice music, as always.

Date: October 12, 2016 17:00

The gig at City Winery Chicago last night was just tremendous. Very uplifting to hear some great rock and roll. Hunter is still on top of his game and The Rant Band can bring it. If Ian plays in your neck of the woods do yourself a favor and go.

Date: October 19, 2016 02:55

A song dedicated to David Bowie from his new album.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 19, 2016 17:20

Another year where Mott The Hoople has been passed over for RnR HoF induction...

Should have happened a long time ago.

Ian should be in there TWICE--for Mott The Hoople and his brilliant solo career.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home